Rate the Unit, Day 14: Fiona

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac).

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Meg: 1.341

Leonardo: 2.531

Ilyana: 3.75

Tauroneo: 4.5

Aran: 4.926

Laura: 5.139

Edward: 6.316

Micaiah: 6.5

Zihark: 7.44

Jill: 8.46

Volug: 8.875

Sothe: 8.938

Nolan: 9.069

0/10 - she can't do anything. Something possessed me to train her up, once, and I was actually well-rewarded - her growths are really nice and well suited for her class's caps, and her innate Imbue is really nice after she starts capping stuff. But getting there was an absolute bitch and she had to be babied all the way until the Tower. Still, +1 bias from me because I enjoy babying her and taking advantage of those growths for 1/10.

Edit: I'd forgotten about her Earth affinity; she can pull shenanigans with Volug and/or Nolan in Part 3 if the two aren't supporting if other already, so it's a 2/10 from me.

Edited by Agro

DB Est done wrong.

But, nice class, looks OK, and has some long term potential if we're willing to use her.

Unlike Meg.

1 for the mount and +1 for bias.

2/10< watch this one be the highest rating in here!

Fiona, steward of Marado and daughter of one of the former Four Riders of Daein.

ooook...

Pros:

Good skills!

Mounted.

Growths are pretty nice.

Earth Affinity.

Cons:

:(:

Joins at a bad time.

Bases are rather terrible.

Base level is rather unpleasant.

A veritable asspain to train.

Fiona...The unit everyone hates but Florina adores. I actually dont care for units like this but Fiona won a soft spot in my heart. Shes the only horsie unit the DB gets. The downside is that her bases are shitastic. Her skill and strength bases are morbidly low. She might need to eat a Secret Book and an Energy Drop to get going. Shes gonna get probably ORKO'd by junk if left at her bases on her joining chapter. She will need BEXP to not die. Training her usually means 1-E turn spam up the wazzwazz to take advantage of her good growths. Shes got innate Savior and Imbue. Savior means rescue fun. Imbue means she can heal damage she takes because shes got a pretty...interesting...magic growth. Fiona's earth affinity means...well yeah. Shes actually quite good when trained, but it takes a great deal of patience, turn abusing, resources, and effort to get her to that point. If she is trained up, her part 3 is ok and her part 4 is kinda awesome. But so many people would never be arsed to do that because they take one look at Fiona and her joining perdicament and go "Ahh HELL NAW!" Shes actually downright pointless in Hard Mode save for the skills she brings. Sad story really.

1/10 (i dont do zeros) My bias score is actually stupidly high at 7/10. But ignore that. :P:

lolololololololololololololololololololololololol

I think IS was seriously trolling when they decided to give her saviour. Seriously, what a useless skill on Fiona when she dies when things look at her funny. And she's worse than the rest of the DB, because not only does she die easily, she can't hit either! And when she does, you better be used to hearing some tinking! She joins underleveled with weak bases for her level, usually underleveled people have good bases for their level!

Fiona, doing it wrong since 2007.

.5/10

She would've been good in another game, really. Sucks that she chose to be in this one.

She can rescue in 1-7 and I guess she can kind of rescue for 1-E, and then she can chip at gauge/finish stuff off in 3-6. Her growths are actually kind of decent, but her bases suck ass and there's not much time to train her so no point really.

1/10

I've heard she can be useful in drafts? 1/10
Not really...she can be BEXP'd to 3rd tier in 4-2, but shes too reliant on adept and javelin forges because BEXP fiona completely ignores her str...:/.

Rant time :D

To make you guys not have to read it, it's a

0/10.

Fiona. Oh my god. I thougt meg was the worst unit in the DB, until this... ridiculous blue armored THING came along. REALLY?!?! SHE HAS HORRIBLE BASES, TERRIBLE STARTING LEVEL, ABMYSAL CLASS (7 OTHER

PALADINS. 7 OF THEM!!!) AGHH!! IS tried to give her something good, with imbue and savior. SHE IS THE ONE THAT NEEDS TO BE RESCUED!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!! AND

IMBUE?! SHE IS GONNA BE ORKO'D ANYWAY!!! WTF?! GIVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE!! HER ONLY USE IS TO SEE HER GET

MAULED BY A PART 4 BOSS!! COME ON!! THE ONLY THING SHE COULD DO DECENT IS BE BAD!! YOU COULD USE

HER AS A CONVOY, CARRYING STUFF AROUND FOR OTHER PEOPLE, B-OH YEAH!! THEY ALREADY

HAVE THAT!! FIONA IS A WORTHLESS PIECE OF GARBAGE! IT'S ALMOST

IMPOSSIBLE FOR HER TO PROMOTE WITHOUT BEXP!!! SHE HAS TERRIBLE AVALIBILITY, TOO. **** YOU, FIONA!!!!!!

ok, I'm done. Sorry if that broke any rules.

Edited by Melonhead215

Pros:

+Good affinity and 3 possible Earth buddies in the DB

+Good endgame

+Imbue, for healing those very common injuries she will be getting until she can avoid well

+Savior, although she won't take much advantage of it and it would most likely be taken away from her because...

Cons:

-4 for her HORRIBLE joining time, not only is it late, but the chapter terrain is completely against her for 4 out of her first 5 chapters (3 indoor maps and 1 swamp), leaving only the 3-12 mountain slide for her to move freely and like a normal mounted unit. Add to that, the fact she's unavailable for the chapter she would have been needed the most.

-2 for both low starting level and low bases

-2 Not easy to train, specially on hard mode. Training her is beyond babying and more like giving her all the BExp and kills you can just to make her decent. Although, 1-E has Physic priests she could train on, we are considering the no-Battle-saves Hard mode where being able to do this is unreliable, tedious and luck-based.

-.25 for C Lance rank at this point in the game, meaning she can't use up Tauroneo's Silver Lance and needs an Iron Lance forge. Also, she can't use Discipline like Aran to raise it fast because of that 5 capacity.

Facepalm_emote_gif.gif I really think IS wanted to make her the worst unit in this game because of all these factors conveniently against her.

+.5 +.25 for her horse that sees little use aside Canto on her first chapters

+.5 Earth Affinity

2.5/10 because she has a few redeeming qualities. I like the girl and would like to see more of her, but she will get no bias points from me.

I started training her once but she kept missing most of the time. I'll use her on an Easy run I have planned soon, where she'll get a forged lance and almost exclusive access to all of 1-7's CExp/BExp.

Edited by Silent Mercenary

Not really...she can be BEXP'd to 3rd tier in 4-2, but shes too reliant on adept and javelin forges because BEXP fiona completely ignores her str...:/.

I didn't say she was very useful, but even just being an extra pair of hands in Part 1 and Part 3 can be useful. She can carry Micaiah, for example.

Fiona is not totally bad for a bottom tiered unit because she's not totally useless ^^'. In hard mode she's easier to train than Meg because of canto.

EM: 6/10

NM: 5/10

HM: 2/10

I find her useful for ferrying in HM, she can rescue+drop through several maps or javelin gauge in 3-6. She's not worth training in HM at all and won't offer supports quick but if babied she won't have forever trouble like Meg even though both are costly at least if Fio reaches her caps she'll eventually do something good and has no move issues. I think all the DB's are useful even if only a little for ledge blocking. Using Fiona in 1-7 lets my Jill or Volug fight freely because Fiona does the rescue dropping and the other scrubs can help with shoving Miccy and in Part 3 she can build defensive forces by rescue dropping generals or help block more than 1 ledge past that she'll do nothing unless she was trained in combat. In NM/EM she's fixable because of plentiful BEXP but in that mode Meg is better than her.

I'll give Fiona a generous 4/10 3/10 :^_^:

4 is going too high ^^'

Edited by Queen_Emelina

So we managed to keep Fiona alive in 1-6-2 (thank you Tauroneo for being our bomb to drop). Now she's playable.

In 1-7 she gets reduced movement because it's indoors. To make things worse the best route goes over ledges and horses can't get up them. He combat is horribad unless you put like all resources you have on her including the 3 boosters and a forge. Without them her Steel lance will weigh her down and give her crappy hit rates which do almost no damage.

In 1-8 she is gone? Grrrrrrrreat!

1-F. More indoor with ledges limiting her to a single route guarded by heavily armored enemies. To make thigns worse the enemies are not only stronger themselves they now get 3 authority stars. Fiona has a hard time.

3-6. I hope you didn't expect to get off the starting isle. She cannot move in the swamp so she's forced to sit at the edge at best. (well the best would be behind your tank line throwing javelins or something) Laguz eat her even with the C-rank support she could have by now. (technically B is possible but that would mean lots of turns on 1-7 AND 1-F).

In the unlikely case you get her to the late game Her earth affinity and stats are pretty nice. 34 Speed is that key point to double Dheginsea and Ashera's Shield. Getting there is the problem.

3/10

Fiona blows, in Normal Mode she doesn't have the bases to keep up with your team from her joining chapter LET ALONE Hard Mode, She's an out and out growth unit except there's never a good time for her to grow, since everything kills her and none of the maps are suited for her. Sure if she's levelled up she can wind up being a Paladin worthy of the end game but... why bother?

Paladins aren't nearly as amazing in RD as they were in PoR, she loses out on Axes and instead gains fucking bows, and to even invest the resources to make her worthwhile is like shoving your dick into a blender and washing your testicles get slices up by the blades.

0/10ing as hard as I can.

She does have a super-fast relationship growth with Danved though, wonder what's up with that

She does have a super-fast relationship growth with Danved though, wonder what's up with that

10 men bro. 10 men.

One of the worst units in the game. Ridiculous bases, is gone half the time, a worthless skill on her, immensely difficult to train, gets poor weapon selection and is thrown into nasty DB maps where terrain simply never works in her favor (indoors, ledges, swamps, etc.). Is she good at caps? Sure. Who cares.

The sole factor she has in her favor is her support, and the DB is strangely enough not actually hurting for decent Earth options. I know every Earth support is theoretically a good one, but I'd honestly rather have Nolan/Volug/Sothe and then somebody like Edward over an Earth/Earth with shit like Fiona.

0.25/10

No unit in this game is worth a 0, I'd say, but Fiona's nearly as close as they get. I vastly prefer Meg to her, and Meg is exceptional... at being terrible.

Fiona: What power! It's as if they have the might of the dark god on their side.

Yeah, Fiona... It doesn't quite take a dark god to defeat you. Just saying.

You know, seeing her makes you wonder whether one of the games main priorities were to make her as unusable as possible.

Her bases suck. They somehow are even worse then what you would expect a Knight of her level to have.

Her growths are technically nice and would turn her into a mounted tank but seeing how weak she starts, it's not going to make a difference any time soon. The def stat is funny that way.

And the growths for the stats that she needs to actually damage or at least hit enemies reliable are actually weak.

With a good offensive, at least she could so some hit and run action thanks to canto but there is no such luck.

And her class is a absolutely horrible choice in regards to the levels in front of here.

Once she joins the next chapter is indoor, slowing her down. In the next two chapters she can't even be used. And then we already got 1-E which will completely tear her apart.

It's not that bad in Part 3 but she will be way to weak to compete with anything.

She has two skills which would technically suit her well, if she, once again, wasn't way to weak.

Her mag bases are nice so she can heal a lot but enemies cut through her like a hot knife through butter so it's still insufficient.

And since she is so weak, not having her stats halved during rescue usually doesn't do her that much of a favor when she dies anyway.

However, since there are enough deployment slots in some part 3 maps there is no reason not to allow her to make herself useful even though besides rescuing there isn't she can do. It's still better then nothing.

And if you for whatever reason are crazy enough to invest in her... I think she will do better then a few other dreaded units in this game. Not nearly enough to make the torture worth it but that's why her score is still garbage.

1.5/10

+0.5 out of pity. The defs seemed to have really hated her.

Edited by BrightBow

Oh, sweet, her dad was one of the four riders along with Greil, Tauroneo, and Bryce. She must be pretty good. Wait what the fuck? Her stats are barely better than Meg's, she comes several chapters later, and at a much higher level (not as much room to grow, and she's never getting to promotion regardless of base level).

Seriously, what were they thinking.

1/10 (.5 for being able to rescue things, and .5 for having a decent endgame if you somehow manage to train her)

Also, Silent Mercenary, she's still quite hard to train on easy, what with 50ish hit rates.