Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaia!Brady as a trickster looks good - at least on paper - growths wise. Just out of curiousity, who did you get to father Brady Othin?

Honestly, bases are more of the concern for me with Brady than growths are. But maybe it's just an issue of me not using his parents enough for him to get good bases. I paired Frederick with Mariabel, but neither one was really keeping up at that point.

ronku vs sairi who is better in a swordsmaster class? i love them both but they look like the same

p.s.: i LOVE swordmasters than mages (me gusta)

Never used Sairi.

I noticed something while playing Lunatic Holy Shield+ and Great Shield+ don't prevent Dual Attacks like the skills section of this site says. Characters are still able to carry out dual attacks and the supporting character's attack doesn't activate Holy Shield+ and Great Shield+ on enemies.

I've found attempting to get dual attacks is actually one of the best ways of dealing with enemies with those skills(since enemies can have both of them). From what it seems as well I don't think the regular versions of those skills activate from a supporting characters dual attack either.

Edited by arvilino

Huh, interesting. I suggest sending that to Vincent.

So you've completed regular Lunatic, then? Any tips for Ch5? I'm thoroughly befuddled as to how to survive the first few turns: seems to me that the only way to keep Richt and Mariabel alive is for Sumia to fly in and carry them away, but when she's at the cliff on Turn 3 grabbing the second one, she's in range of one of the Dracoknights, which OHKOes her. And when I try to play aggressively enough to kill the Dracoknight, someone always gets killed, and then the other Dracoknight also tends to cause trouble.

Say, how are the Lunatic+ skills distributed, anyway? I was wondering if it was one random one for each enemy, but it sounds like that's not the case, if some enemies have more than one.

Edited by Othin

Huh, interesting. I suggest sending that to Vincent.

So you've completed regular Lunatic, then? Any tips for Ch5? I'm thoroughly befuddled as to how to survive the first few turns: seems to me that the only way to keep Richt and Mariabel alive is for Sumia to fly in and carry them away, but when she's at the cliff on Turn 3 grabbing the second one, she's in range of one of the Dracoknights, which OHKOes her. And when I try to play aggressively enough to kill the Dracoknight, someone always gets killed, and then the other Dracoknight also tends to cause trouble.

That one took me quite a few tries. I found Sumia can't save both of them, so I used Frederick to save one on turn 2.

What I did is have Frederick kill the Myrmidon at the top of the incline(you'll need the Silver Lance and use a strength potion or pair Vake or Cullum with him), then have someone trade with to switch his weapon to a sword(also if someone is paired with Frederick have the character take them as well). This opens up one space on the cliff for Richt and Maribel.

Sumia is moves just below that space. Richt pairs with Maribel, Maribel gives Richt(or vice-versa) to Sumia. Krom should pair with Ronku and Ronku should move into the forest tile thats in range of most the enemies to the west of your starting position. There's a good chance(well about 50%) Ronku will crit and kill each of the Barbarians and it's extremely unlikely for anything but the Myrmidon to hit Ronku.

Then on turn two Maribel should be free to pair with Frederick and he should move to the fort.

On Lunatic+ from chapter 3(though I'm only on chapter 5) enemies seem to get 2 skills, randomly. Each time you load the game or enter a chapter they'll have a different set up, which I think is a bit too far since in my experience a single chapter can get more difficult proportional to the number of enemies that get skill combinations like Counter and Holy Shield+ compared to say Vantage and Sure Hit.

Edited by arvilino

Ah, I see. Didn't even think to take Callum from Frederick so he could help out that way. Seems hard to ensure he'd have a clear path to the cliff on Turn 2, but I'll have to work out something.

Hmm. I remember hearing that enemies have four skills available to them from the start, then another four added starting with Ch3. So it makes sense that they'd jump to two skills each then and stick with that. But especially with options varying as much as Counter vs. Weak Beats Strong, it's so screwy. Skills being distributed randomly instead of purpousefully is definitely my one big gameplay complaint with this game. Or is it just that way on Lunatic+? Even so, it's bizarre. I'd imagine some combinations make some of the early chapters unwinnable. Fighting enemies with those skills seems fun, but I'm very unimpressed with how they went about doing it.

Yeah playing Lunatic+ I couldn't help but think the mode would have worked better if the skills were pre-determined. As opposed to having separate runs be different because suddenly an enemy sends all 1-range damage back or takes half damage from everything.

Chapter 3 specifically is a good show of it because the map starts with your units between 9 enemies, 4 on one side 5 on the other and they all move towards you with not much room. Some of the skills basically determined whether you'd be able to clear one side and how well(HP-wise) before the other side got close(which was basically turn 2 enemy phase).

Yeah, I never had too much trouble clearing out the left first, but there wasn't a whole lot of room for error. I imagine anything that would keep you from getting ready fast enough to stop the Archer on the right could make it impossible to reliably survive.

It's amazing how terrifying Archers become when most of your characters get 2HKOed in the best-case scenarios.

WHY DID NOT ONE MENTION THAT KROM's SISTER JUMPS OF A CLIFF IN CHAPTER 9!?!?!? (Discovered this on Youtube, really want the game, but don't own a Japenese 3ds. sad.gif)

Edited by Sirius
Spoilers should be marked with spoiler tags

Okay, I had to make some modifications, but I was able to get it to work. What I did was, I had Frederick kill the Myrmidon, then immediately after removing Callum, I had Mariabel run up and jump on Frederick. Richt then moved into the one open space where Mariabel had been, while Sumia moved onto the cliff. That way, I was able to get Richt to jump on her and fly away immediately on Turn 2, without having to worry about enemy positions there at all, or having Frederick take any of his own actions to protect Mariabel.

After that, it wasn't so bad, although it took a lot of trickery. Turns out +Spd MU with Elwind and a substantial +Spd Double can one-round the Dracoknights, which was really convenient, although he just barely avoids the OHKO in return and needs to get healed a lot afterward. I had been lucky enough to get Chris's Home-Made Sweets in an earlier map, which helped Krom and Frederick survive, and seems to have been well worth the use.

Good to know you really can block reinforcements in this game. I had thought you couldn't on the harder modes after trying and failing to block Ch9's forts on HM, but that must be a special case, if the reinforcements' spawn point is set to the space below the forts or something. Knowing that might have saved me a lot of trouble on HM, but oh well.

MU and Krom are both LV11 as of the end of Ch5, almost LV12. This is quite a step up from my earlier, abandoned Lunatic run, which had a +Def MU at LV3 at the start of Ch5. Have to say, I'm glad I restarted; that MU was probably unsalvageable, and the same may go for the run as a whole. The earlier chapters weren't even that much trouble to redo, except Ch2. Ch3 wasn't so bad due to remembering what to do right from the start, and Ch1 wasn't so bad due to forgetting what to do because I didn't notice the enemy with the Hammer and used Frederick to distract most of the enemies. He dodged the one time the Hammer enemy was able to attack and survived, so it worked out better overall.

WHY DID NOT ONE MENTION THAT KROM's SISTER JUMPS OF A CLIFF IN CHAPTER 9!?!?!? (Discovered this on Youtube, really want the game, but don't own a Japenese 3ds. sad.gif)

[spoiler](spoiler text)[/spoiler]

Edited by Othin

Okay, I had to make some modifications, but I was able to get it to work. What I did was, I had Frederick kill the Myrmidon, then immediately after removing Callum, I had Mariabel run up and jump on Frederick. Richt then moved into the one open space where Mariabel had been, while Sumia moved onto the cliff. That way, I was able to get Richt to jump on her and fly away immediately on Turn 2, without having to worry about enemy positions there at all, or having Frederick take any of his own actions to protect Mariabel.

After that, it wasn't so bad, although it took a lot of trickery. Turns out +Spd MU with Elwind and a substantial +Spd Double can one-round the Dracoknights, which was really convenient, although he just barely avoids the OHKO in return and needs to get healed a lot afterward. I had been lucky enough to get Chris's Home-Made Sweets in an earlier map, which helped Krom and Frederick survive, and seems to have been well worth the use.

Good to know you really can block reinforcements in this game. I had thought you couldn't on the harder modes after trying and failing to block Ch9's forts on HM, but that must be a special case, if the reinforcements' spawn point is set to the space below the forts or something. Knowing that might have saved me a lot of trouble on HM, but oh well.

MU and Krom are both LV11 as of the end of Ch5, almost LV12. This is quite a step up from my earlier, abandoned Lunatic run, which had a +Def MU at LV3 at the start of Ch5. Have to say, I'm glad I restarted; that MU was probably unsalvageable, and the same may go for the run as a whole. The earlier chapters weren't even that much trouble to redo, except Ch2. Ch3 wasn't so bad due to remembering what to do right from the start, and Ch1 wasn't so bad due to forgetting what to do because I didn't notice the enemy with the Hammer and used Frederick to distract most of the enemies. He dodged the one time the Hammer enemy was able to attack and survived, so it worked out better overall.

[spoiler](spoiler text)[/spoiler]

Ah I see, I didn't even realise Maribel could reach Frederick on Turn 1. I think I was probably too focused on moving her and Richt to a safe spot.

Hey Othin, when Inverse is out mind trying MUxInverse and seeing if a Nosferatu tanking Mark is broken when she can get other things like Rainbow Cry and Astra?

I'm thinking like Astra, Rainbow Cry, Weapon Saver, Lightning Speed and Dark Blessing all on either a Sage or Grandmaster Mark. That'd take forever with Change Seals but I'm sure it could be insane once you get all of them. It'd probably make the DLC maps a lot easier.

While Awakening's normal mode quickly cemented itself as my favorite in the series, I have to say I'm not really a fan of its Lunatic (I'm currently up to the Renha chapter so it's possible I might change my mind but not likely). Compared to the DS games, variance is just much higher--enemies miss reasonably often, crit rates are noticable even without killer weapons, and skill activations, dual attacks, and dual guards just screw everything up. In order to make up for the fact that if variance goes in your favor everything's a walk in the park, the enemies have to be so murderously powerful that if variance ever stops favoring you you just die.

It's possible to have difficult modes in higher-variance games that don't suffer from this problem (FE6 and FE10 come to mind)--the trick is to rely on enemy quantity, not enemy quality. I really don't like the fact that enemies in this game have a 10% chance to knock out 2/3 of your health. I'd be much happier with a 100% chance to do less damage.

Hey Othin, when Inverse is out mind trying MUxInverse and seeing if a Nosferatu tanking Mark is broken when she can get other things like Rainbow Cry and Astra?

I'm thinking like Astra, Rainbow Cry, Weapon Saver, Lightning Speed and Dark Blessing all on either a Sage or Grandmaster Mark. That'd take forever with Change Seals but I'm sure it could be insane once you get all of them. It'd probably make the DLC maps a lot easier.

Pretty much anything with Nosferatu and stats high enough to use it competently is broken. Doesn't take much more, and Sorcerer is one of the better classes to take advantage of it anyway.

Okay what the fuck. I was just barely holding off Ch7's enemies as it was, and then three Dracoknights fly out of the starting point, right on top of my team? What can you even do about that? It's not like you can move away from the starting point, and apparently these reinforcements can't be blocked, because they flew out around my team that was sitting on the edge of the map. And I don't think anyone other than Frederick can survive three hits from a Dracoknight even without other enemies around.

Edited by Othin

Okay what the fuck. I was just barely holding off Ch7's enemies as it was, and then three Dracoknights fly out of the starting point, right on top of my team? What can you even do about that? It's not like you can move away from the starting point, and apparently these reinforcements can't be blocked, because they flew out around my team that was sitting on the edge of the map. And I don't think anyone other than Frederick can survive three hits from a Dracoknight even without other enemies around.

For that chapter on Lunatic the best method I found was going on an offensive and routing the map before those reinforcements appear(I think turn 5). Frederick(Give him a Strength and Defense Potion if necessary) should be able to handle most of the enemies on the map with an Iron or even Bronze Sword(I think I may have used the Killing Edge for the Boss though) and paired with Krom(wielding the Falchion for the Dracoknights, it also helps if their support rank is C or B at this point) since the vast majority of enemies will miss Frederick(only the Archers have a good chance) and if I remember correctly Frederick only needs 16 speed(easily reached if Kroms speed is over 10 and they have c-rank) to double the Dracoknights.

The rest of the team should focus on killing enemies that are out of range of Frederick.

Edited by arvilino

This is a minor, minor point, but if you plan on using Richt for whatever reason, the best thing to do would be to attack the myrmidon with Frederick equipped with a Bronze sword, which won't kill him, but will reduce his HP enough to be one-shotted by Richt. Put Richt on that bottom-right tile next to the cliff, and he'll barely survive a hit against the myrmidon; IIRC, with his default tome, his hit percentage is ~75, which aren't terrible odds in light of losing just one turn, and it saves a use of that precious, precious Silver lance. This means you may have to change up other parts of the strategy, naturally, but this is how I did it.

Edited by Westbrick

For that chapter on Lunatic the best method I found was going on an offensive and routing the map before those reinforcements appear(I think turn 5). Frederick(Give him a Strength and Defense Potion if necessary) should be able to handle most of the enemies on the map with an Iron or even Bronze Sword(I think I may have used the Killing Edge for the Boss though) and paired with Krom(wielding the Falchion for the Dracoknights, it also helps if their support rank is C or B at this point) since the vast majority of enemies will miss Frederick(only the Archers have a good chance) and if I remember correctly Frederick only needs 16 speed(easily reached if Kroms speed is over 10 and they have c-rank) to double the Dracoknights.

The rest of the team should focus on killing enemies that are out of range of Frederick.

I tried this, and it worked. It's hard to believe moving quickly could work well on these maps, but after how often it helped in Hard, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I used the Killing Edge a lot in the past couple of maps, but I didn't need it here, since the rest of my team was following along to clear out the rest. I still had three uses of Chris's Home-Made Sweets, so I used one on Frederick to help him survive. He wasn't dodging everything, but he was able to withstand the damage he took and wound up with just a bit of his boosted HP remaining at the end, so it looks like that was worth it.

I did need some luck on the last enemy phase though, with MU dodging the Fighter so he could survive the hit from the boss, and with the Archer attacking Ronku instead of MU... and with Ronku dodging that Archer, because I hadn't checked the damage and he would've been OHKOed. I'm sure I could have worked things out to avoid that on a second attempt if things didn't go so well, though, so the general strategy was solid. Now, as for Krom being lucky enough to land a Dual Attack on pretty much every single Dracoknight that attacked Frederick, that might have been some more significant chances in my favor.

Ah, I see. Didn't even think to take Callum from Frederick so he could help out that way. Seems hard to ensure he'd have a clear path to the cliff on Turn 2, but I'll have to work out something.

Hmm. I remember hearing that enemies have four skills available to them from the start, then another four added starting with Ch3. So it makes sense that they'd jump to two skills each then and stick with that. But especially with options varying as much as Counter vs. Weak Beats Strong, it's so screwy. Skills being distributed randomly instead of purpousefully is definitely my one big gameplay complaint with this game. Or is it just that way on Lunatic+? Even so, it's bizarre. I'd imagine some combinations make some of the early chapters unwinnable. Fighting enemies with those skills seems fun, but I'm very unimpressed with how they went about doing it.

Makes me think a bit of Diablo 3, where certain random enemy ability combinations are just impossible. I have to skip every Champion with Invulnerable Minions, for instance.