Return of the Emblem Chapter Nine: Consolidating Forces

Phoenix

Synthia stared Torin down. Torin just stared back. She sighed and ran a hand down her face. “Fine. We’ll go check his story first,” she said, beginning to walk off. “You coming, Ranyin? You can have the satisfaction of throwing him in jail if he’s lied.”

Torin shouted in glee and hugged Mireille round the middle. “Yes! Thank you so much! Come on, we have to go.” He began pulling on the knights arm to hurry after Synthia.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raquel

A cult leader named Cervantes is helping out our enemies. Gods, this never ends! They're everywhere, even in the middle of the desert; it's like there's nowhere in Sardius we can hide or even catch our breath. she thought as Zach explained the first bits of information. As the explanation about the 'goddess' came up, most were repulsed, and one of the pirates shook his head disapprovingly. Another just outright spoke up, though it was less of a question and more of a cold remark. "A whole year and he didn't know about it, yeah right."

Next was the real show stopper, though. The knowledge of the Leverager. It was rather evident already, since Zach came straight to the Leverager and more or less knew Raquel was aboard or had at least been aboard. Hearing it in the way Zach explained, though .... The sailor standing behind him spoke up saying "Gonna go warn the captain about this. Keep an eye on this guy." He didn't allow for a reply from anyone. He was already on his way back up to the main deck by the time he'd said it.

Another pulled back the hammer of his pistol, though the gun itself was still facing the ceiling. "These bastards are gonna mess with us, are they? I say we find out where this guy is and set him ablaze."

"Wait," Raquel pleaded. She looked back down at the folder and finally decided to pick it up. She hadn't opened it yet, of course. Instead, her attention returned to Zach. "We've been through too much to just take your word for it so ... I need some time to think on this."

"In the meantime, you tell us everything you know about these dirt treading scumbags." one of the sailors demanded, shaking his pistol at Zach for emphasis.

Reign

"Oi ... one more thing to talk to her about, I guess. But not right now, I'm sure she's busy." What could possibly be going on to get her on the battlefield ... and where in Levi's Lands is Jethro? There's no way he'd allow this. Yeah, I've been 'blissfully ignorant' for a little too long now and I definitely need to talk to her about this ... at her earliest convenience. "Well ... thanks for looking out for her, at least. It'd be a damn shame if she bit the big one over a need to lead from the front. It's inspiring, but it's not something every commander should resort to, you know? There's 'valor' and then there's just a guilty conscience, and that's a terrible thing to die over."

Arena

"Next one's tomorrow." the man answered simply. Of course he wasn't going to be that vague about it, though. He had to let him know about the catch. "The ... entry fees can really dig into your savings, though, if you know what I mean. Find yourself a sponsor, or you'll be praying to whatever god you serve that you don't land yourself in a heap of debt. As for just watching, that's less expensive, but you'll be forking over quite a bit to sit down and watch a tournament. Those tasteless onesided massacres are easily affordable, though." the man explained, sounding a bit bitter about the cheaper shows.

Veronika

"Well, I can't say I'm surprised the organization is after us again. And this does seem like an awfully elaborate setup for Zachary here to be lying. But why have a cult all the way out here? Why is the organization bothering working with a cult rather than sending their own men?" Veronika questioned no one in particular.

Clara

"That's a very generous offer Colin, but my sisters and I are pretty used to roughing it on missions. If there's a shortage of rooms, we should be fine taking care of ourselves," Clara responded cheerfully. Not to mention I'd never hear the end of it from Cecily and Cloe if I spent the night with a guy...these accommodations are pretty skimpy though...not all our bases can be manors I guess.

With his practice ruined and not wanting to risk another potential head injury and be a victim of another stealing attempt in the alleyway, although chances were slim, Ranyin decided to tag along with his fellow mage.

Mireille sighed with relief when she saw Torin smiling and let herself get dragged along.

Waaaait what? "Hold on, so... You have to pay to enter? That is, you have to pay the arena to let you fight?" Norbert asked, suddenly finding his opinion of the arena sinking. Sounds like this whole arena business is expensive in general...

"Look, everything I could possibly tell you is in that folder, I've even included some of my own notes about the number of combatants that are in the cult and the plans for the ambush that's being set up for you back at the Manse. "

Hearing Veronika's statement he responded "I don't know everything about this situation okay? But I'm fairly certain that Cervantes owes the Organization some kind of favor and this is how they're collecting instead of wasting their own men."

Shifting his gaze back to Raquel Zach pleaded "Please Miss Raquel I need your help with this, if you don't help me I'm as good as dead and so is that girl. And in the end they will still come after you"

"Yeah, it's green now, but I... well I generally like to keep it colorful. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, indigo, you know, all that kinda stuff. It's kind of a rebellious phase thing I went through a good few years ago, never really dropped it. In fact, the only reason it's not rainbow colored right now is because of that Ranyin fellow, if you've met him. See, he actually... vomited on me. At the sight of my hair being all colored. And then a little while later, we fought some flying coffins and then went to... hell? The afterlife? I'm not sur- Oh right Purgatory or something like that! Anyway, we went there, weird place by the way, and then we got transported back by some bird lady named Lilith, and we were kinda thrown out onto a shore nearish to Sanctuary! Basically, and this is the important part, the hair dyes I had all faded with all that seawater crap..." Thinking back on that little development reminded her of that kid again. "And that's where I tr-tried burying him... It didn't work all that well and we had to get moving as it was..." A tear formed and trickled down her face, making Aneda lose her composure for a moment as she wiped it. "I'm sorry, I don't... I lost track of what I was doing, uh... Food, right, food. Are you enjoying it? You look like you are. It's nothing fancy like you're probably used to, but it's something I like nonetheless."

Davod had been flipping through his book by the time Gabbie was in view again. He smiled and waved before returning his attention to the book, trying to finish up a quick story.

"That... eww." Faatina replied, shuddering slightly.

"I would have asked to see it, but... that sounds way too unpleasant." Faatina continued, before Aneda seemed to lapse for a moment, she mentioned... burying? It was slight, but the other woman appeared to begin to cry for a moment before composing herself.

"Hey, Aneda, are you okay?" Faatina inquired, figuring the food inquiry could wait.

Deliberation

"Yeah, they're trying to wear us down, but it's not going to work. We're getting stronger all the time. All they're really doing is pushing me to the brink. I can't stand not knowing what's happened to my father, and they just keep on coming at us." Raquel began to vent some of her frustration aloud. "Zachery, does Cervantes know anything about ..." she paused, deciding that whether he did or didn't know about Sardis or her father wasn't a good place to start. She could always question him herself after defeating him. Maybe it was confidence born of numerous victories, but there wasn't a doubt in her mind that they would win. She shook her head in an exaggerated manner to indicate she was completely abandoning the question from before. "I'll just look at the notes." she conceded as she opened up the folder. If they're going to attack us anyway, we should probably prepare to attack them, but we're on their home territory. If not for whatever info we can get from Zachery we'd be at a ridiculous disadvantage. I know we can win, but I don't want to lose anyone else.

"You give us the verbal accounting while she peruses your 'notes'." the sailor spoke up again. "Captain's gonna want to hear this too, I bet."

Gathering

With the Connor picked up, the only thing left to do was rendezvous with Davod and then get going. She waved back to him to let him know that she noticed and then picked up the pace a bit. Ringo let go of the netting and began flying around in figure eights again overhead as the two made it down the ramp and onto the docks.

Tavern

"I understand, I understand." Colin conceded, putting his hands up submissively and closing his eyes for a moment. "Your sisters are just looking out for you, and you're lucky to have them. You'll put in a good word for me though, right? I'm always here and ready and willing to help you out."

"Hmph." Simon huffed.

Arena

"The arena is big and can host good sized battles, but it can only host one at a time. The sponsors want to keep the gold flowing, so yeah, there's an entry fee, but the prize money from tournaments is enough to make you stop thinking in double zeros and start thinking in quintuple zeros, if you know what I mean." he explained with a wink. Apparently the tournament prize money was on par with Weyland's mission payouts.

Edited by Phoenix

Gambling, huh? That armored guy got in trouble for not being able to pay his debt. Probably tried for this money and lost. "So, you pay to enter and if you win, you get a huge payout," Norbert summarized, "And if you lose, you only gain injury and a lighter coin purse." He was getting pretty skeptical about this arena. "Tell me more about these sponsors you keep mentioning," he requested.

The small group arrived at the arena a short while later and Synthia took a minute to gawk at the large building. Considering its size, the thing probably brought in a ton of cash. When the others began walking inside she followed them with Phyllis.

Torin couldn’t keep still. Once they reached the arena he kept fidgeting and trying to pull Mireille around. He managed to reach a staircase leading down to a couple of cells before a guard stopped him and everyone else.

-----

His weapon maintenance finished, Valter started making his way above deck when he passed the stables. He had to stop and do a double-take. Why were the sailor’s weapons drawn? Who was the man they seemed to be worried about? Really, what the heck was going on? He debated between butting in or moving on. His curiosity won. He walked further in so it didn’t look like he was just eavesdropping. If they needed him to leave they’d tell him, he reasoned.

Veronika

"It probably would be to our advantage to strike at them first instead of being ambushed for once. But if there are too many of them, or they are too well-armed, we could attempt a retreat from here instead," she suggested to Raquel while she looked through the folder. And there isn't really a way to ensure that Zachary isn't giving us false numbers to boost our confidence...he seems sincere, but perhaps he's just a good actor.

Clara

"Thanks Colin, I will. It's good to meet someone friendly to work with," she said.

"Maybe you should go talk to Sardis, Simon? He didn't have anything for us to do, but maybe he has something better suited to your...talents," she suggested. Maybe he can weasel a little more out of him...

"The majority of the combatants in the cult are straight up hand to hand fighters with a few mages and healers mixed in as well. I'd dare say I'm stronger than everyone in there aside from my teacher Kerrigan, they aren't particularly strong individually but they make up for it in numbers. More than likely there's going to be a few archers in there as well." Pausing for a second to think of anything else that would be of use he continued "I've never actually seen a Pegasus or Wyvern around the Manse so I wouldn't expect any of them, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Cavaliers wouldn't be out of the question either but still it's going to be mostly foot fighters"

Raquel

They don't know as much about us as I feared, but it's obvious they know enough to overwhelm us once they're ready. We're still not ready to take on Sardis, so we've got to be careful ... and we can't let them learn anything else. We're already at a big disadvantage numbers wise. Raquel deduced while looking through the dossiers. There was more information on her than anyone, even her school records. They knew she was a dark magic user ... They won't be underestimating me, anymore, that's for certain ...

"Personally, I'd rather kill these bastards. Cults are bad news and this one's a threat to us." one of the sailors commented.

"Captain's decision ... a-and Raquel's." another sailor corrected himself.

A heavy groan met their ears as the captain himself came down the steps and approached them. The gunman returned with him headed off to the side to observe. "So tell me, who wants to mess Raquel and her companions, today ... and is willing to attack my ship to do it?" he asked. His agitation was slipping into his tone here and there.

"There's a cult in this city run by a man named Cervantes. He's going to attack us as a favor to the people we're after. They know we came here on your ship, so that's probably why they're willing to attack it too." Raquel explained.

"What do you plan to do about it, then?" he asked expectantly.

"I'm not going to let them attack the Leverager. We'll hit them first once we come up with a plan. That's ... all I can really think of right now." she admitted, holding her head down. "It's not much of a plan, but Zachery has already told us a lot about what kind of enemies we'll be up against. We're not fighting blind or anything ..."

"Hmm."

Gabbie

"Alroight, we're here! Ready ta go?!" Gabbie announced, before lining up her arms and cracking her knuckles toward the sky.

Tavern

"Yeah, you and your sisters are probably overdue, am I right? Heheh."

Simon muttered quietly to himself. He snapped out of it when Clara spoke to him, though he wasn't too thrilled about the suggestion. "I ... suppose I should have a word with him. That angry fellow has me worried, though, I cannot deny."

Arena

"The Arena of Masters is sponsored by the colonists that established the government on this island. We just call them 'the nobles' around here ... because pretty much all of them are from Ursian and Neviskotian houses. They work with the rexians here to keep things running smoothly and keep crime 'to a tolerable level'. Make no mistake, though, boy, these people are not righteous or lawful. If they want something, they'll get it, one way or another, and I pity the poor bastard who decided to trifle with them. Watch yourself." he explained, once again sounding bitter about ... various things.

Edited by Phoenix

Norbert's casual gaze (which was a minor glare) intensified into one of his tell-tale signs of being irritated at the word "boy." I don't look that young, do I? The rest of this guy's words carried more weight, though, and Norbert seriously considered them. "You don't sound too happy with them," he noted. Actually, a bit more than that. "You fall into debt with them or something?" He doesn't like the events either. At first I thought he just was upset at the resources being used up but this is sounding more and more like a scam. That's weird, though... Ursian and dragon-worshiper nobility working together? Nah, not together. Maybe this arena is actually some sort of sport for them... The Ursian nobles' picks against the lizard-lovers'. Pah... So those pompous highborns are frivolous jerks no matter where they're from. Though there was something else that had Norbert a tad bit worried about this guy's words.

"I don't deserve real thanks for doing my job," Blake said rather quickly, before looking back down at his list. "At least she's leaving the actual combat to us, the hired arms. Makes it easier to divert enemy attention, after all."

Dauntless

Reign looked up and off into the distance, seeming almost in a trance. "Eh, life's not really about what we deserve. Take what you can get, pal, otherwise there's someone else who will and they probably don't 'deserve' it either. Not all that surprising that she's not doing any actual fighting ... she hates that stuff, and more importantly, if she's been doing what I think she's been doing, her offensive power is probably negligible by now ..."

Arena

"No, I'm not some indentured bitch, I just work for them to keep money coming into the home. I just don't have the respect for these battles that I used to. Every few years it gets worse. Fewer true battles, and more cockfights between competing nobles and stunt shows like the one going on right now." he answered, pointing his thumb back toward the arena. One couldn't see past the walls, but that was where it was, and he'd pointed his thumb just before the roar of the crowd came once again. Something flashy had probably just happened, again.

"I know that, but all the same, I won't take credit where it isn't really due," Blake replied, before he looked back up at Reign in badly-masked surprise. "She had offensive power with her magic in the past?"

“Halt,” the guard demanded. “These are cells for the prisoners. What business do you have here?” The group had been headed straight towards the stairs, so he doubted that it was merely a mistake.

Torin spoke up. “We’re here to see my brother, Antonio. He’s being held down there...”

“Oh, visitors, eh? Right this way. You’ll have to leave your weapons at the guard table though,” the guard said, waving them in. Synthia rolled her eyes.

The guard led them down the stairwell to a large hallway underground. There were maybe a dozen cells lining the two walls, most of which were used to house those with outstanding debts to the arena. The group stopped in front of a cell with a young man resembling Torin seated inside.

Torin scrambled up next to the bars with a huge grin on his face. “Brother! I found some people who can help get you out of here!” The guard gave him a suspicious glare. Torin amended himself. “Um, pay off your debts, I mean...”

“Wait, what?” The look of surprise on Synthia’s face was soon replaced by anger. “We didn’t agree to that! The only reason we’re here is so we can verify your story. We never agreed to help.”

-----

Wait, what was this about a cult? Valter was very confused. As he listened though, things began to make more sense. Apparently there were more people out to kill them. Again. He figured he should at least try to be helpful. “Raquel, would you like me to gather some of the others? They may be able to help.” He was thinking Gabbie, or Blake, or one of the people who seemed... tactical. Not that he couldn’t be useful as well.

Not even noticing the man that had just spoken until now Zach thought his plans for the group where good "It might be best if we have all of your friends here Raquel. The more people we have here the more people that can be coming up with ideas."

The cell was rather dank and lonely, though the auburn-haired youth was somewhat used to the somber presence of the fellow detainees, stored here until they were able to pay off what debts they owed. Antonio sighed, how was he supposed to pay off a debt locked in a cell? Though he was averse to the dishonourable practice of fighting solely for monetary gain, he was confident that if it came to it, he could crush any competitor into the ground.

Another dejected sigh. If only he could prove his axe he would be out of here with no issue. And then a rare familiar face, accompanied by several others whom Antonio had no recognition of.

"Torin. How many times have I told you not to get involved. I can get through this without you risking your own neck, and I certainly don't need you dragging others into this... who are these people, anyway?" Antonio asked, lifting an eyebrow at the exchange before him.

"So the Ursians and the Neviskotians have a competition going, huh? No surprise there if they're on the same land mass," Norbert noted without surprise with some bitterness. He was past pondering that, though. "How has it gotten worse? Just the change in frequency of the events?" Might as well ask now. Hmm. These nobles are used to getting what they want, huh? And they maintain the law enforcement around here... And it's their governor that's looking for a pegasus. Maybe I should go back to the ship sooner rather than later. I don't want some noble trying to take Riz and getting me jailed for it.

Ranyin just stood in silence as he digested this new flow of information. Great, this kid failed to rob me directly and now he wants to rob me through sending to the arena? Fat chance!

The Kigenese mage started mentally flipping through as many excuses to get out of...potential trouble with the time he had. As an after thought he merely added, "Yeah, what Synthia said. We didn't say anything about helping."

Mireille folded her arms and said coldly, "We are here to help your brother. Your irresponsibility has led you to incur not only debt, but also end up lock here while your brother is forced to fend for himself outside and steal to garner enough gold to buy your freedom. Not that I condone stealing, but you should at least show appreciation for your brother's concern."

"I'm not crying! I've just got something stuck... oh what's the use, yes, I was crying, I lost control for a moment, I'm still a bit stung by the whole ordeal." Flustered, she shook her head. "It shouldn't have even happened, he shouldn't have been hired, he shouldn't have been there, he shouldn't have died so goddamn young for no fucking reason." A hand on her head to steady herself, Aneda continued. "That should NOT have happened and I keep telling myself it's her fault, but maybe it's my fault at the same time? I mean, fuck, I just watched it happen..." Aneda stopped talking and merely held her head in silence, thinking through the scene one more time. It moved slowly, but the result was always the same, and the sickening crush always occurred. Her face scrunched in anger, twitching slightly before she put a stop to all of that, trying her best to shove it all away and smile. "I'm sorry Faatina... you don't deserve this crap, I'm sorry for venting." Shrugging, she motioned to the rest of the town. "Is there anything else you wanna visit or do? Oh! Right, I should get some dyes while I'm in the area... maybe you could pick some out for me? Perhaps... you wanna try some out? Oh no, never mind, I wouldn't wanna mess with that beautiful head of hair you've got."

"Yeah I'm ready. What're you thinkin of getting if I may ask?" He didn't know the are all that well and he hoped she had an idea. "I mean, I'm not against a window shopping experience or whatever, I'm just... curious."

"Feel free to vent if you need to, Aneda... are you sure you're okay? I don't mind staying around here for a little while if you need a minute..." Faatina replied, placing a hopefully comforting hand on Aneda's shoulder.

"It's not your fault, okay? People always look back at bad things and see all the things they could have done differently, but... of course you would see all the flaws looking back, you know what was going to happen now... I'm a hundred percent sure you did everything you could, like you always do, Aneda." Faatina continued, hoping to console the pegasus rider.