Platinum In-Game Tier List

Smiley Jim

Problem is, of all the lategame mons, I either like them or already acknowledge they're utterly terrible.

Hmmm...I'm always a fan of ice though!

Turtwig/Meditite/Gligar/Gible/Lickitung/Snowver

I can dig it.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to suggest Snover, but fighting in Hail all the time is annoying. Your team slo has several pokemon with quad ice weakness. But Medicham will probably be good enough for Candice anyways.

Edited by BigBangMeteor

I was going to suggest Snover, but fighting in Hail all the time is annoying. Your team slo has several pokemon with quad ice weakness. But Medicham will probably be good enough for Candice anyways.

There's that Froslass to worry about...

Lickitung can learn Surf, I think.

Lol, forgot about Froslass. Medicham can learn Fire Punch, I guess? Or he could give Gliscor a Yache Berry to survive one hit, and then Night Slash is a OHKO I think.

Lol, forgot about Froslass. Medicham can learn Fire Punch, I guess? Or he could give Gliscor a Yache Berry to survive one hit, and then Night Slash is a OHKO I think.

Possibly, but said Froslass LOVES to spam Double Team like it was going out of style, AND it's a weather abuser to boot (two words: Snow Cloak).

I'll just teach Medicham Fire Punch, because he's a baller.

None of your pokemon seems to be a surfer, unless I'm mistaken.

This is why we catch Bibarels.

Also, can Sneasel learn Ice Punch in some form? Cause outside of Faint Attack, it doesn't have very good STABS. Ice Beam and Icy Wind are awful on it's weak Sp Atk, and Avalanche kills the entire point of it having speed, along with not working too well due to not being durable. If it can't, it has serious issues seeing as any other good TMs are probably taken by then. If it can, it's basically Ice Punch STAB: The Pokemon. Real simple, wishing it had more to work with, wishing it came earlier.

Edited by grandjackal

Also, can Sneasel learn Ice Punch in some form? Cause outside of Faint Attack, it doesn't have very good STABS. Ice Beam and Icy Wind are awful on it's weak Sp Atk, and Avalanche kills the entire point of it having speed, along with not working too well due to not being durable. If it can't, it has serious issues seeing as any other good TMs are probably taken by then. If it can, it's basically Ice Punch STAB: The Pokemon. Real simple, wishing it had more to work with, wishing it came earlier.

There is a move tutor on Route 212 that has a move tutor that teaches the elemental punches. The punches require 6 blue shards and 2 red shards. They are fairly common treasures in the underground, so Sneasel does have Ice STAB to work with(that doesn't kill its speed.)

Not saying that this is any excuse for Sneasel to rise or anything like that since he is mediocre at best, but at least he isn't Swinub or Snover.

Edited by Mercenary James

Which case yeah,it's just Ice Punch STAB: the mon. As Weavile it hits hard and is outrun by basically nothing so it's really good at it, but I dont recall a lot of mons from the point you catch it to end being too vulnerable to ice alone. Nor dark.

...Really, Dark's kind of a shitty element in Shinnoh. Houndoom's just lucky he's an awesome Fire type that comes somwhat close to the Flamethrower TM.

Anyways, new game commence! Playing the hell out of Platinum lately.

Which case yeah,it's just Ice Punch STAB: the mon. As Weavile it hits hard and is outrun by basically nothing so it's really good at it, but I dont recall a lot of mons from the point you catch it to end being too vulnerable to ice alone. Nor dark.

...Really, Dark's kind of a shitty element in Shinnoh. Houndoom's just lucky he's an awesome Fire type that comes somwhat close to the Flamethrower TM.

Anyways, new game commence! Playing the hell out of Platinum lately.

Well, Lucian curls up and dies to a dark type (other than his Gallade and Bronzong). His Alakazam has Focus Blast though.

Edited by Metal King Slime

I remember something about Gligar/Gliscor a page or two back.

I've used it, and assuming you give it Earthquake immediately (which it comes very close to), it's really solid. It's very usable, getting to have fun in Gym 3 (Bite/Faint Attack, don't remember which) and Gym 4 (Flying type and high defense, also can be evolved here. Also, EQ for Lucario is too good).

It eventually gets to have fun in Gym 8 as well.

Its general coverage, iirc, isn't that bad really. And it's stats are good enough throughout most of the game.

I think it could move up to the bottom of B/top of C, really. It's definitely better than Bronzor, that's for sure.

From my understanding (which is pretty limited), hail is a good weather effect to have on your side even if Abomasnow bites it because it makes sweeping a lot easier. As it is, Abomasnow can enjoy a 100% accurate Blizzard + Wood Hammer which is good coverage (I think), and if nothing else gives 100% accurate Blizzard to other pokes on your team. Abomasnow also has Ingrain for healing, but when you have so many weaknesses I don't know how well Abomasnow would hold up...

From my understanding (which is pretty limited), hail is a good weather effect to have on your side even if Abomasnow bites it because it makes sweeping a lot easier. As it is, Abomasnow can enjoy a 100% accurate Blizzard + Wood Hammer which is good coverage (I think), and if nothing else gives 100% accurate Blizzard to other pokes on your team. Abomasnow also has Ingrain for healing, but when you have so many weaknesses I don't know how well Abomasnow would hold up...

Yeah... Abomasnow's defensive ability strikes me as suspect. Also, I'm not really seeing the point of Ingrain seeing as it prevents you from switching out... (though I dunno if that applies even after you cause an opposing trainer's Pokemon to faint)

I remember something about Gligar/Gliscor a page or two back.

I've used it, and assuming you give it Earthquake immediately (which it comes very close to), it's really solid. It's very usable, getting to have fun in Gym 3 (Bite/Faint Attack, don't remember which) and Gym 4 (Flying type and high defense, also can be evolved here. Also, EQ for Lucario is too good).

It eventually gets to have fun in Gym 8 as well.

Its general coverage, iirc, isn't that bad really. And it's stats are good enough throughout most of the game.

I think it could move up to the bottom of B/top of C, really. It's definitely better than Bronzor, that's for sure.

Seconded- a pokemon specializing in def and having a good attack stat with good coverage is nice. It can learn X Scissor/Night Slash( either dark and psychic, or ghost and psychic coverage) Its crippling ice weakness is somethign to worry about though(especially against cynthia, since gastrodon(water though) and milotic screw with it)

abomasnow's just a tad slow

but it hits like a fucker so it really isn't all that bad (a lot of weaks though)

I'm only theorizing, but I think Abomasnow's array of weaknesses is why it's so low. But... below Kricketot?? Really???

Seconded- a pokemon specializing in def and having a good attack stat with good coverage is nice. It can learn X Scissor/Night Slash( either dark and psychic, or ghost and psychic coverage) Its crippling ice weakness is somethign to worry about though(especially against cynthia, since gastrodon(water though) and milotic screw with it)

Cynthia doesn't have a Gastrodon in Platinum. It was replaced with a Togekiss.

Edited by Metal King Slime

abomasnow's just a tad slow

but it hits like a fucker so it really isn't all that bad (a lot of weaks though)

Yeah, on the whole it's probably better to be Abomasnow mode and kill enemies fast, even if you die pretty quickly too, than it is to be Duskull and have shit tier offenses but survivable.

And even just setting up 100 accuracy blizzards against enemies that take Hail damage is pretty good.

The following changes have been made to the current tier list:

Glaceon to bottom of C, above Froslass. While Glaceon's availability is the worst out of the Eeveelutions, he has easy access to Ice Beam like right after the seventh gym(you need Rock Climb to get the free Ice Beam TM, otherwise prepare to fork over 20K.). This is better than the performance of some of the other Eeveelutions, like Vaporeon and Espeon, who are stuck without a STAB move for some time(Vaporeon has to wait 3 gyms for Surf, FFS, ditto for Espeon and Leafeon. Jolteon gets Shock Wave by gym 4, so yeah.) However, Ice isn't all that helpful in the final fights(only hits Bertha and Cynthia's Garchomp) so he's low C. Ice is also very helpful in the final fights, as otherwise, Cynthia's Garchomp will tear you limb from limb. If you want to argue him up further, please say so.

Gligar to bottom of B. Honestly, this thing isn't too bad. Yeah, his level up movepool ROYALLY sucks(no really good moves until Lv34), but having access to Earthquake as soon as you can catch it helps his placement a bit, and he does have a Fighting gym to look forward to(not that he's super effecting anything since AA is gotten after Veilstone). He also does great against Byron and Volkner, and can perform ok against Flint.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Mercenary James

The following changes have been made to the current tier list:

Glaceon to bottom of C, above Froslass. While Glaceon's availability is the worst out of the Eeveelutions, he has easy access to Ice Beam like right after the seventh gym(you need Rock Climb to get the free Ice Beam TM, otherwise prepare to fork over 20K.). This is better than the performance of some of the other Eeveelutions, like Vaporeon and Espeon, who are stuck without a STAB move for some time(Vaporeon has to wait 3 gyms for Surf, FFS, ditto for Espeon and Leafeon. Jolteon gets Shock Wave by gym 4, so yeah.) However, Ice isn't all that helpful in the final fights(only hits Bertha and Cynthia's Garchomp) so he's low C.

Ice also hits most of Aaron's pokemon super-effectively since a lot of them fly. And it's super-effective against Togekiss and Roserade.

Hmm... Snover above Magmar? Magmar has tons of weaknesses too, but an awful movepool that has basically nothing but Fire moves in it. He's faster but also frailer.

Edited by Anouleth

In light of what dondon151 and Anouleth have said, Snover has been placed in mid D, while Magmar has dropped to below where Snover is. Again, Ice is pretty damn helpful against Garchomp, as well as 2 of Aaron's bugs and Bertha's entire team(remember that Wood Hammer gets the guys that aren't weak to Ice.) Also, Magmar isn't really that great without an evolution, which isn't guaranteed since that requires a trade and a spare Magmarizer. However, availability issues, a rather large amount of weaknesses, and rather middling spd basically means that it likely won't go any higher than this.

Have a nice day.

As for my opinion on Gallade since I am basically testing several mons (Roserade among them, who now that she's Roserade I can say is pretty crazy with Petal Dance. 2HKOs Golbats with it, and they x4 resist), I will say that...I'm kinda iffy on Galade. On one hand, I'm not a fan of catching it early because Kirlia sucks so much that she can still have a difficult time at the fighting gym. On the other hand, catching it late makes it dependent on TMs like Brick Break (Heavily contested, Meditite namely is an earlier and still amazing user of it), and is kind of a one trick pony until it gets Psycho Cut. At that point, THEN it's awesome. That in mind, I feel that B tier might be a bit too generous, or at least should be lower in it.

Isn't this, you know ENTIRELY FUCKING POINTLESS argument? Considering YOU EVOLVE KIRLIA ABOUT 2 AND HALF SECONDS AFTER YOU CATCH/EVOLVE IT (give or take few seconds based on how slow/fast is your menu usage) any possible suck that Kirlia might be is completely and utterly redundant.

Edited by Shoptimus Prime