Platinum In-Game Tier List

Smiley Jim

I thought dual slot stuff was post-game stuff.

Anyways, some updates on how things are going for me.

-I never finished my original run with Meditite mainly because that run I caught too many too early. Under a bit more steady circumstances, I have him about level 30-31 by Maylene. As I fought, I had non-crit one shot her Lucario with it using Brick Break. I'm shocked too. It's kinda funny that Meditite statistically is balls, but his typing, strong moves being offered t him immediately and Pure Power actually keep him stable. Can't wait for this thing to evolve.

-Evolved Gligar at level 30, so I'm getting Night Slash. That being said, it did not get that big an offense boost. Gabite in comparison has caught up and essentially does the same damage with stuff like Earthquake. However, Gliscor is still miles faster and miles tougher. Just wishes he had a Flying STAB. Hope he can learn Fly. If he can do that, with Earthquake and Faint Attack, he has AWESOME coverage. Also note that he can relearn the elemental Fangs.

-Gible/Gabite are still painfully slow to level, and Slash is a minor improvement at best. He doesn't stand out unless you give him Earthquake. Though considering Gliscor arguably uses it better since it has greater speed and actual coverage, it'd just be another thing that can use Earthquake. It's typing is fun though.

-Lickitung sucks. Not big surprise. It levels fast, but it has shit for stats, shit for a movepool, and generally not much to work with. I doubt Lickylicky will bring any miracles. So far, Stomp/Return/Thief are it's usable moves, and Return is kinda bleh on it since it hasn't warmed up to me too much yet.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought dual slot stuff was post-game stuff.

While you can use dual slots to transfer pokemon post-game, just having the game in your second slot will cause different wild pokedudes to appear during the main game.

Edited by Anouleth

While you can use dual slots to transfer pokemon post-game, just having the game in your second slot will cause different wild pokedudes to appear during the main game.

BTW, the Dual Slot thing works only once you have access to Pal Park, which is after you get the National Dex. Serebii didn't give me any information on it, but Bulbapedia did. The thing that causes other wild Pokemon to show up(the one you were thinking of)is the Poke Radar, which is also not available until post-game.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Mercenary James

BTW, the Dual Slot thing works only once you have access to Pal Park, which is after you get the National Dex. Serebii didn't give me any information on it, but Bulbapedia did. The thing that causes other wild Pokemon to show up(the one you were thinking of)is the Poke Radar, which is also not available until post-game.

Ah, I see. I guess I misread the site. Although it says that you don't need the pokeradar, you do need the National Dex (because some of those pokemon turn up in caves).

Some things I wish to bring up.

-Any particular reason Turtwig is a tier above Rotom? It's VERY slow, lots of later gyms pack ice moves, it sucks against Gardenia...

-I honestly think Gible should fall. Gible itself is really slow and only has Dragon Rage to work with which is cute for like 10 seconds. It evolves early, but early is rather relative because it levels at the rate of molasses. It doesn't really gain an attack until Earthquake (which is great if you aren't outrun by stuff like Floatzel or Lucario, and it's a heavily contended for TM which is hard to argue against someone faster and hits just as hard, like Gliscor), or Slash (which is pretty meh). It certainly isn't up to par with the likes of Rotom.

-Speaking of which, why isn't Rotom S tier? Fantastic typing, fast, gets a lot of what he needs when he needs it, hits hard enough...Why's it below the likes of Giratina and Azelf?

-I dunno about Meditite's placing, but I can say that he scales REALLY well. Getting Brick Break is a nice start, then Force Palm for optional Paralysis chance in cases he's not strong enough to one shot is cool, and then getting Hi Jump Kick which hits like a truck.

-Gliscor above Cranidos. Fast Earthquake STAB with an interesting typing defensively is pretty good. Only reason I don't argue him to A is because lategame tends to pack Ice, which he hates just as much as Torterra (though at least Gliscor is fast).

-Lickylicky sucks. A Normal type with balanced but slow stats does up for Lickitung sucking for 13 levels. His movepool is also terrible.

To begin with, this is conjecture because I've never used Rotom, so I might be wrong in a couple places.

Well, Turtwig does good against Roark before you get Rotom. Then neither are very good against Gardenia, but arguably Turtwig is better against Fantina. Rotom has Astonish for his strongest Ghost type move (I'm pretty sure Ominous Wind is unreasonable at this point), while IIRC Fantina has Shadow Ball, or something stronger than Astonish anyways, to deal SE damage against Rotom. Rotom's defenses are shitty enough that he's probably getting OHKOd there? Rotom wins Maylene because of immunity. They're both good against Wake, although Rotom is faster. Torterra wins Byron, Rotom wins Candice, and Torterra wins Volkner. At the E4, I suppose Rotom wins Aaron, although he's not great there, Torterra wins Bertha, and Rotom wins Flint, Lucian, and Cynthia.

Rotom's faster than Turtwig, but his durability is shoddy, and if we're not counting alternate forms (remind me, can you get those ingame?), his movepool isn't very diverse. Neither is Turtwig's, though. Rotom > Turtwig is questionable, but I can definitely see Rotom moving up.

Rotom doesn't even get Astonish, as you get it at Lv20. But, it gets much use after Gym 3, and Turtwig not so much. I've used it before. It was pretty good.

Basically, I see Rotom definitely moving up. But to where, I'm not sure.

Well, Turtwig does good against Roark before you get Rotom.

You have a billion and one ways to deal with Roark, this isn't exactly an accomplishment.

Then neither are very good against Gardenia, but arguably Turtwig is better against Fantina.

Weakness to Ghost being slow with bad Sp Def, I'd say they're about equal, Bite be damned. Even with Astonish (though Shockwave hits just as hard despite no weakness, probably higher since Rotom has better Sp Atk than Atk), the fact he's fast for the likes of Haunter or Duskull is more than Grotle can say.

They're both good against Wake, although Rotom is faster.

A bald faced lie if I've ever heard one. I just went through it and Wake kicks Torterra's ass. It's too slow for Gyarados so he is Flinch-haxable, AND Razor Leaf does not do all that much damage to Gyarados (ignoring Intimidate), and Floatzel destroys Torterra with it's speed and Ice Fang. Only advantage is that he one shots Quagsire. You know, a hard mon to take down.

Rotom's faster than Turtwig, but his durability is shoddy, and if we're not counting alternate forms (remind me, can you get those ingame?), his movepool isn't very diverse. Neither is Turtwig's, though. Rotom > Turtwig is questionable, but I can definitely see Rotom moving up.

Shockwave and Shadowball when you finally get it, what more do you need? As for not being durable, it being fast and having decently strong moves for the most part makes up for it.

Furthermore, Turtwig's slow speed is so slow that it plagues him throughout the game and not just for gyms. This gets annoying very quickly, and is a problem Rotom almost never has to face.

By the way, started a new game, and you can totally have Gyarados before Exp Share. Hell, you can get him before even entering Gardenia's gym (you have to go visit the trainers near Mt. Coronet first though).

Edited by grandjackal

By the way, started a new game, and you can totally have Gyarados before Exp Share. Hell, you can get him before even entering Gardenia's gym (you have to go visit the trainers near Mt. Coronet first though).

You mean the trainers on the Eterna side of route 212 or whatever?

To begin with, this is conjecture because I've never used Rotom, so I might be wrong in a couple places.

Well, Turtwig does good against Roark before you get Rotom. Then neither are very good against Gardenia, but arguably Turtwig is better against Fantina. Rotom has Astonish for his strongest Ghost type move (I'm pretty sure Ominous Wind is unreasonable at this point), while IIRC Fantina has Shadow Ball, or something stronger than Astonish anyways, to deal SE damage against Rotom. Rotom's defenses are shitty enough that he's probably getting OHKOd there? Rotom wins Maylene because of immunity. They're both good against Wake, although Rotom is faster. Torterra wins Byron, Rotom wins Candice, and Torterra wins Volkner. At the E4, I suppose Rotom wins Aaron, although he's not great there, Torterra wins Bertha, and Rotom wins Flint, Lucian, and Cynthia.

Uh, why does Rotom win Flint? Torterra has a 109 base attack STAB SE Earthquake.

I don't see Rotom having a significant advantage over Cynthia either.

Uh, why does Rotom win Flint? Torterra has a 109 base attack STAB SE Earthquake.

I don't see Rotom having a significant advantage over Cynthia either.

I assume it has to do with not getting hit for SE by Flint.

The following changes have been made:

- Rotom to S tier, above Gible. Rotom can actually be caught before Gible, and unlike Gible, doesn't have 4-7 levels of suck before he gets going. Also, Electric/Ghost is a very nice to have later on since enemies like to carry Psychics and Ghosts on their teams(on top of the water route before victory road, which Rotom tears up). And, it really doesn't fizz out either due to good Sp. Atk/Speed and access to Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball midgame.

- Turtwig to A tier, below Giratina. Yeah, Turtwig is pretty awesome early on, since he rapes Roark's gym, but he has issues later on as his speed isn't stellar, and any special Ice move worth a damn is going to OHKO his ass(and even physical ice moves will hurt a LOT). And unlike Gabite/Garchomp, Torterra does not have the speed to outpace any of them(he's slower than Abomasnow FFS). On top of that, in the later fights, Grass STAB is only really useful against Bertha, since Flint and Aaron resist grass(Aaron also resists ground and Flint destroys him.).

- Gligar above the fires. Yeah, Ponyta is great against Gardenia and is available earlier than Gligar, the thing is that Gligar has easy access to STAB Earthquake(when the closest thing these two get is Fire Blast, which is 3 towns away from Wayward Cave), has better physical bulk than Rapidash and Houndoom combined as Gliscor, and on top of that, can evolve a lot sooner than Ponyta(Lv40 evo that's not happening before Iron Island vs Razor Fang that appears after Veilstone)

- Lickitung to E tier, above Glalie. This thing sucks. Yeah, it's TM/HM movepool is great and it has good bulk as Lickilicky. It really don't change the fact that Lickitung is a piece of shit statwise, and its level up movepool is god awful outside of Power Whip(Lv49) and Gyro Ball(Lv57)

Have a nice day.

Edited by Mercenary James

Huh... I assumed that Ground resisted Fire...

Uh, no. Ground does not resist Fire. Therefore, Torterra is one of the worst things you can use against Flint because he gets pulverized very quickly(remember, his speed sucks and everything on Flint's team is faster than him.). Yeah, 109 atk and STAB Earthquake is cute, but it is pretty damn useless if you are outsped and OHKO'd.

Have a nice day.

Ya know, I'm playing this new guy, and I have a Gyarados before Gardenia. Whacked my way through it and though it didn't survive through the grasslands, the point is easily made that you have Gyarados that early. Bite with it's speed toughness and STRENGTH should prove well for Fantina, and start gaining steam pretty quick.

Ya know, I got Monferno, Rotom and Gyarados. Any suggestions on what my 4th should be? Thinking something between Veilstone and Pastoria, but all those mons are boring.

Gonna try Snover as promised this time. Quit my last one because I had issues withlevels. Caught one too many too early, and Gible's fucking awful leveling speed was a huge issue. Either he lagged bad, or the rest of the team suffers. Level 33 on average for Byron's gym is awful leveling.

However, I will blame catching a Lickitung. It's leveling speed wasn't bad, but Lickitung itself sucked terribly.

Edited by grandjackal

Holy crap you run through this game incredibly fast. It takes me a good week or two to beat the game...

>_> Forgot about Ice Fang on Floatzel. However, I'm pretty sure Rotom can't OHKO Floatzel, and Floatzel outspeeds Rotom and 2RKOs it. Better than getting OHKOed as Grotle is, but not by much.

Try Croagunk.

EDIT: Okay I was wrong again. Apparently Lickitung can learn Surf, Cut, Strength, Rock Climb, and Rock Smash.

Yeah if this thing is E Tier, better respond the same way with Tropius / Bidoof / other HM whores.

Edited by Colonel M

this is convenient for you: It's in Route 212, but you apparently need Surf. That's pretty good, it being so close.

Ooh, that's tasty. Last time I tried to use him, I was sorely dissapointed by Revenge being his main tool.

EDIT: Okay I was wrong again. Apparently Lickitung can learn Surf, Cut, Strength, Rock Climb, and Rock Smash.

Yeah if this thing is E Tier, better respond the same way with Tropius / Bidoof / other HM whores.

Outside of Bidoof who joins immediately and isn't retardedly rare, I would be happy with this decision.

I would also like to remind everyone about Gyarados before House Galactic at Eterna. Why? Well just a bit after Eterna, you get Earthquake and ya know, GYARADOS LEARNS IT.

Outside of Bidoof who joins immediately and isn't retardedly rare, I would be happy with this decision.

Being rare doesn't affect tier list positions, and putting HM Slaves below really shitty Pokemon like Shieldon and the like is just wrong. Or even around him. They may not contribute to combat, but they still make traveling around easier. I guess it is flimsy to a point because most Pokemon can learn roughly two HMs, but in cases like Bidoof, Tropius, and Lickitung, they learn plethora HMs.

I would also like to remind everyone about Gyarados before House Galactic at Eterna. Why? Well just a bit after Eterna, you get Earthquake and ya know, GYARADOS LEARNS IT.

I could be incorrect, but if Gyarados has to be raised from a Magikarp we're already being fairly inefficient. We also described that there is still some competition with Earthquake (especially when Gyarados doesn't get STAB on it nor a huge advantage) and Gyarados doesn't get a good STAB until the late 35. This isn't like Red Gyarados in HGSS where it comes at a decent timeframe and, while a pain in the ass to level, only requires roughly 5 levels of mediocre to get going.

In other words, no - not buying this hype today.

Also, one thing with Gible - if you hold off on it from evolving until Level 27, you get Slash and Dragon Claw at rather convenient times. Otherwise you're stuck with getting Slash at Level 28 and Dragon Claw at 33.

Edited by Colonel M

I agree with Colonel M on Magikarp - switchgrinding one up is a serious pain in the ole gluteus maximus.

Edited by Golden Cucco

I could be incorrect, but if Gyarados has to be raised from a Magikarp we're already being fairly inefficient. We also described that there is still some competition with Earthquake (especially when Gyarados doesn't get STAB on it nor a huge advantage) and Gyarados doesn't get a good STAB until the late 35. This isn't like Red Gyarados in HGSS where it comes at a decent timeframe and, while a pain in the ass to level, only requires roughly 5 levels of mediocre to get going.

Curently washing the ghost gym with Bite, so if he's strong enough to kill things without STAB Bite of all things, I think Earthquake is good enough on him. Hell, it even goes and kills the two things he hates: Rock and Electric. Combine that with Dark and Water coverage, that's a pretty wide expanse of asskicking. Sure, it absolutely sucks that we had to switchgrind with Magikarp, but methinks he makes up for it in spades. Screw STAB, Gyarados is so strong he doesn't need it.

Also, one thing with Gible - if you hold off on it from evolving until Level 27, you get Slash and Dragon Claw at rather convenient times. Otherwise you're stuck with getting Slash at Level 28 and Dragon Claw at 33.

I'm almost willing to take Gabite over that if only because Gible sucks that badly. I honestly have no clue what you people see in Gible. Even statistically, Gabite was not blowing me away. For all intensive purposes, Gligar/Gliscor was just flat better. Similar Atk, but with greater speed, durability, and coverage with Night Slash. Furthermore, none of this changes the fact that Gible levels painfully slow.