Rate the Unit, Day 30: Reyson

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings the sonic sword" or any other justification as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Rolf: 1.15

Sothe: 2.03

Brom: 2.32

Shinon: 3.00

Devdan: 4.11

Volke : 4.82

Ilyana: 4.98

Soren: 5.15

Rhys: 5.31

Gatrie: 5.46

Mia: 5.71

Muarim: 6.19

Mist: 6.41

Mordecai: 6.55

Makalov: 6.59

Tormod: 6.62

Zihark: 6.65

Lethe: 6.75

Nephenee: 6.79

Stefan: 7.40

Astrid: 7.76

Boyd: 8.29

Ike: 8.57

Tanith: 9.08

Oscar: 9.08

Kieran: 9.23

Jill: 9.31

Marcia: 9.36

Titania: 9.91

Tanith has the same score as Oscar. Kinda cool.

Here's the dancer/bard/whatever of the game!

Heron, aka dancer. He flies. Once he transforms, he has more movement and can refresh 4 people at once. Give him laguz stones, and he's in his shifted form the entire map. He's extremely fragile and has to be protected. Plus, weakness to bows. But at least he can heal people who are adjacent to him.

9.5/10, losing half a point for durability issues.

Calling Reyson a dancer greatly understates what he is. He can fly, and more importantly he can refresh up to 4 units while transformed. His only problems are availability and durability, which stops him from being completely insane.

9.5/10

Pros:

+Can sometimes refresh 4 people at once

+Also heals HP to adjacent people

+Better move than your average refresher

+Supports with two earths

Cons:

-Not Ninian

-Extremely low HP and defence, low bases overall except luck and res

Reyson is my second favourite "dancer" besides Ninian in the whole series, performance-wise. He doesn't get rings but he does a damn good job anyway, though he's even better in Radiant Dawn. There is always room for Reyson on a team. He supports with Ike and Tanith, too. That said, keeping him not-dead until you get some supports in can be a bit of a chore.

9/10

Edited by Samias

Pros:

+Can sometimes refresh 4 people at once

+Also heals HP to adjacent people

+Canto

+Better move than your average refresher

+Supports with two earths

Reyson does not have Canto in FE9.

Anyways, Reyson is a flying dancer that gets +3 movement when transformed, and while he's transformed he can refresh all adjacent player units. He only has 5 movement when untransformed, so he tends to lag behind the rest of your group unless he uses a laguz stone on turn 1.

9/10

Reyson does not have Canto in FE9.

Reyson's galdr skill is called Canto (Spanish for Chant) in FE9.

Pros:

+Canto, with up to 4 units if transformed.

+Blessing for healing minor wounds for free (somehow I usually seem to forget about it when I have an unit at Resolve/Wrath health :\ I don't recall it being too useful in any mode, but that might just be me using units with high avoid)

+2 Earth support options

~Good growths except in HP/def by laguz standards

Cons:

-2 for low HP and defense, although you should avoid getting him in range of anything even if they were higher. His speed at this point in the game is also low by HM standards so he'll need quite a few level-ups to avoid getting doubled.

-.5 for bad transformation gauge, as it starts at 0. With a Demi-band restriction and only 2 laguz stones in the game, his contribution is limited to re-moving 1 unit per turn for the first 4 turns.

-.25 for hit giving part of his affinity, since he doesn't need it and neither do his support options

+.5 for flying

+1 for good singing

8.75/10

Edited by Silent Mercenary

A clear 10 out of 10. Instead of defending this character's traits let me ask you something: what would you give a character that let the BEST unit on the team two actions per turn? And then after about 5 turns could potentially have up to 4 of your best units to have a second action per turn if they can get back into positions. I think that this is probably the best reason to mark Reyson up; is he a good character? No. He kinda sucks stat wise. Is it freaking broken as hell and in any other SRPG utterly game breaking? Oh hell yes! Even more so when it can be used on 4 untis instead of 1! So yeah, being in a game where a dancer is likely surrounded with high tier characters with canto and 8 move is easily the best character in the game.

Reyson, prince of the herons and Tibarn's ward.

Pros:

emot-aaaaa.gif

Refresher.

REFRESHES FOUR UNITS WHEN TRANSFORMED!!!

Can heal just by standing next to someone.

Ok move.

Cons:

Durability issues.

Supports are ehhh.

Dude. Reyson. This guy is like...gr9mazing as a refresher unit. He refreshes one unit untransformed and thats cool. But he transforms and...yeah..four guys can move again. How is that not awesome? Yeah thats awesome! He cant move again after chanting in this game sadly, but he CAN do that if you give him the Knight Ring. (who else are you gonna give that to?) In fact, thats the reason the Knight Ring even exists! Naesala even give it to Reyson. Awwweeesoooommmeee. What else can Reyson do? Oh yeah! If he stands next to a guy whos health is low, he can heal that guy. Thats kinda awesome! Pretty handy if youre short on healers. His move is actually not that bad for the class type. So he can kinda keep up with the rest of the team. (Plus there are Boots) Reyson is not awesome when it comes to taking a hit. Dude isnt gonna live if an enemy gets near him. (even transformed) His supports dont add much other than like, character stuff so yeah. Herons also dont need growths since they arent around to grow. They are around to make your other guys awesome.

9/10. 10/10 bias because hes freaking pretty.

Reyson, prince of the herons and Tibarn's ward.

Pros:

emot-aaaaa.gif

Refresher.

REFRESHES FOUR UNITS WHEN TRANSFORMED!!!

Can heal just by standing next to someone.

Ok move.

Cons:

Durability issues.

Supports are ehhh.

Dude. Reyson. This guy is like...gr9mazing as a refresher unit. He refreshes one unit untransformed and thats cool. But he transforms and...yeah..four guys can move again. How is that not awesome? Yeah thats awesome! He cant move again after chanting in this game sadly, but he CAN do that if you give him the Knight Ring. (who else are you gonna give that to?) In fact, thats the reason the Knight Ring even exists! Naesala even give it to Reyson. Awwweeesoooommmeee. What else can Reyson do? Oh yeah! If he stands next to a guy whos health is low, he can heal that guy. Thats kinda awesome! Pretty handy if youre short on healers. His move is actually not that bad for the class type. So he can kinda keep up with the rest of the team. (Plus there are Boots) Reyson is not awesome when it comes to taking a hit. Dude isnt gonna live if an enemy gets near him. (even transformed) His supports dont add much other than like, character stuff so yeah. Herons also dont need growths since they arent around to grow. They are around to make your other guys awesome.

9/10. 10/10 bias because hes freaking pretty.

This is my vote except change from 9 to 8, so 9/10 total including the bias. his hair is pretty

Edited by CR-S01

Heron, aka dancer. He flies. Once he transforms, he has more movement and can refresh 4 people at once. Give him laguz stones, and he's in his shifted form the entire map. He's extremely fragile and has to be protected. Plus, weakness to bows. But at least he can heal people who are adjacent to him.

9.5/10, losing half a point for durability issues.

9/10

i'm sorry but do i honestly have to state why

he gives fire support to reyson

he refreshes a unit whenever you need to

he refreshes four units starting on turn 2 whenever necessary

he adds a lot of flexibility to every strategy by existing

reyson is fantastic

FE4 dancer with wings. Of course that means Arrows will rape his face. He laughs at Magic though.

9/10 because there are a decent amount of arrows in this game, and also he sucks cock untransformed.

Basically, standard dancer fare with Reyson. That instantly warrants a high score. He's pretty durable for a dancer (base HP stat is over 20 and solid growth as well). He's only around for a third of the game (iirc, its comparable to Ninian/Nils in FE7 with Lyn mode skipped). Dancing four units a turn is just icing on the cake. Why just let him refresh Jill when you can refresh Jill, Marcia, Oscar and Kieran? The game gives you four uses of Laguz Stones, and Reyson is really the only Laguz I could see them used on. He's pretty crucial for a quick clear of Chapter 21.

I think even single-unit refreshers with no special abilities (like Tethys) are a MUST DEPLOY. So... when you have a 4-unit refresher in a game where mounted units (who are pretty much all excellent themselves) can move into a diamond formation after attacking, an easy 10/10 from me.

Oh wait, I forgot something important. There is a downside of recruiting Reyson. The opportunity cost of recruiting Reyson is the Renewal scroll - Reyson gives it to you if Ike says "LOL! U suck! Get outta here! I can just deploy another combat unit instead!" Furthermore, this is the ONLY way to obtain the Renewal scroll. The decision between Reyson and Renewal is so agonizingly difficult that it keeps me awake at night!

Additionally, the decision is even more difficult in the Japanese version where the Renewal scroll can only be used on Elincia and Ena. Yes, I know Elincia and Ena already join with the Renewal skill equipped... But! But! What if I wanted to remove Renewal and then re-teach it to them!? This is only possible by refusing Reyson!

Being able to refresh four guys at once + free healing + 2 hawk laguz + obtainment of the Knight Ring + 1 elixir > 15-capacity 10%HP-healing Renewal.

^Fixed that.

Of course, Renewal is worth all that because Reyson might drop 8-9 Magic in a few level ups and won't be able to cover the 3~5 HP gain that Renewal provides.

However! Blessing only works if you are standing next to the flying diva star! Renewal allows you to recover HP even if Reyson is on the other side of the map. This factor must be given consideration.

However! Blessing only works if you are standing next to the flying diva star! Renewal allows you to recover HP even if Reyson is on the other side of the map. This factor must be given consideration.

This has to be an utter joke... You know what else allows recovery regardless of proximity to Reyson? Vulneraries. And 10 times out of 10, vulneraries will heal more than Renewal will.

This has to be an utter joke... You know what else allows recovery regardless of proximity to Reyson? Vulneraries. And 10 times out of 10, vulneraries will heal more than Renewal will.

I think it's pretty obvious he's joking...

Reyson's pretty cool. He flies and dances for one unit for a couple turns, then later he flies with more movement and dances for up to four units! And he gets you the Knight Ring (which he uses pretty well). He gets OHKOd by Iron Sword Myrmidons Ballistae all game though, which is kinda annoying. 9.75/10

Yes, but not even Vulneraries are perfect!

1. Vulneraries take a player action to use. Renewal works automatically at the beginning of the player's turn.

2. Vulneraries cost 300G. I mean, this is hardly a game that just throws free money into the player's lap.

3. Vulneraries take up an inventory slot. Yes, I know characters get 4 slots reserved just for non-weapons, but I wouldn't want to give up precious space for those Antitoxins!

Edited by Gryz

:facepalm:

He flies, but if he ever meets an arrow, he's gonna hurt. He can also help to heal people around him. Free healing is good.

9.5/10

Normally I have a mixed opinion of refreshers. They're good and all, but most have only 5 move and can only refresh one unit. Reyson quickly trows those complains out of the window when he's transformed. Refreshing 4 units is awesome.

The healing he gives to units next to him is by no means neccesary, buts its nice.

10/10