FE: Awakening Download Purchase?

You know something just occurred to me. At their press conference, Nintendo said that their new mario game would be the start of a new initiative in which full games will have the ability to be purchased as downloads.....I've also heard talk that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon will follow suit...You think Awakening will hop on this bandwagon?

plus if you downloaded it you wouldn't get the manual lol

the reason i'm probably never going to use the downloadable game feature from nintendo is because then i can never smell the game's manual and that's literally my favorite part of buying new games

plus if you downloaded it you wouldn't get the manual lol

you get some fancy e-version of it though!

I was actually wondering whether the games are going to be made compatible, or if all games are compatible for the shop.

Say, do we have any idea what the prices will be for the download purchases? I imagine Nintendo could get the same profit for quite a bit less charge.

This seems like it could impact things.

Say, do we have any idea what the prices will be for the download purchases? I imagine Nintendo could get the same profit for quite a bit less charge.

Not entirely sure, but I think Nintendo is letting retailers set the prices. They don't want retailers to be too upset with them for having much cheaper download prices.

Downloaded copies of the games have been confirmed to be priced at or near the same as the physical retail copies.

I think it's very likely Nintendo will go back and add most of its own games as downloadable titles. Wouldn't make sense NOT to, really. Specially considering their early 3DS games such as Steel Diver and Pilotwings are very small in size.

Edited by Jave

Geez, they just don't learn, do they? Digital distribution has such potential for both the customers and the developers, but they'll never reach it if they don't take the plunge and start giving us incentives to purchase digitally.

Edited by Striped Shirt

Geez, they just don't learn, do they? Digital distribution has such potential for both the customers and the developers, but they'll never reach it if they don't take the plunge and start giving us incentives to purchase digitally.

It's silly to expect lower prices. Game companies wants their physical copies to sell as well, because a lot of money goes into producing cartridges, manuals and packaging. Why do you think companies like Xseed are going digital? Businesses want to make money, first and foremost.

Edited by Pandorakun

The issue is that they don't want to hurt the retail market and displease retailers who are the ones selling most consoles.

It's silly to expect lower prices. Game companies wants their physical copies to sell as well, because a lot of money goes into producing cartridges, manuals and packaging. Why do you think companies like Xseed are going digital? Businesses want to make money, first and foremost.

Exactly. The point of digital distribution is to sell more copies more freely, and not have to spend all that money on cartridges, manuals and packaging. But by charging the same bloated retail price for a digital copy, they'll never get to the point where digital distribution becomes the norm. They're not exploring that potential, they're actively working against it because nobody wants to take the chance.

The issue is that they don't want to hurt the retail market and displease retailers who are the ones selling most consoles.

Developers have been dreaming of having total market control for ages now, they're constantly trying to screw over retailers and the used game market. Don't think they wouldn't cut them out of the equation at the first possible chance.

I don't like Digital Distribution one bit.

I'd rather have a physical copy of my games. Ya know, something I OWN. Not a piece of data that can be taken away.

(I also hate the hell out of "Must be online to play a single player game"... at least Ninty has gone and done that stupid gimmick yet.)

Developers have been dreaming of having total market control for ages now, they're constantly trying to screw over retailers and the used game market. Don't think they wouldn't cut them out of the equation at the first possible chance.

Developers have been dreaming about that, but Nintendo isn't just a developer, they're a hardware maker too, and need retailers' cooperation to sell their consoles.If they made the digital prices much lower than retail, retailers wouldn't be happy.

Edited by NeonZ

Exactly. The point of digital distribution is to sell more copies more freely, and not have to spend all that money on cartridges, manuals and packaging. But by charging the same bloated retail price for a digital copy, they'll never get to the point where digital distribution becomes the norm. They're not exploring that potential, they're actively working against it because nobody wants to take the chance.

Uh, why the hell should Nintendo care about making digital distribution the norm? I personally like having cartridges and manuals and packaging.

I like how the manual for Civilisation IV is as big as the box the disc came in. You know the game has a lot of content when the manual is that thick!

And no doubt if retailers could get rid of developers they would probably do the same.

Capitalism!

Except, wait, Nintendo /aren't/ taking the opportunity to undercut physical retailers. So I guess you're wrong.

I'd personally prefer to have a hard copy just in case "oops my 3ds died now all my games are gone" happens. But it'd be nice to have as an option for the people who don't want to carry all those carts around, I guess.

Uh, why the hell should Nintendo care about making digital distribution the norm? I personally like having cartridges and manuals and packaging.

I like how the manual for Civilisation IV is as big as the box the disc came in. You know the game has a lot of content when the manual is that thick!

And no doubt if retailers could get rid of developers they would probably do the same.

Capitalism!

Except, wait, Nintendo /aren't/ taking the opportunity to undercut physical retailers. So I guess you're wrong.

wub.gifOh, the Civ 4 manual... I miss it.

The manuals for Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario Land 3D were literally just folded sheets of paper. :/