Sword of Seals (FE6) ReDux

Dunal

PATCH UPDATED TO 1.10 - 18/01/2015

18/01/2015 - Updated unit growths

22/01/2015 - Bugfix for CH20b normal mode applied

Sword of Seals ReDux is a hack I've been working on (and tested) for a lengthy amount of time. While it is indeed a very simple hack, the purpose it to keep it reasonably true to the original game. The main change has been to dramatically increase the difficulty and improve the curve of which the game becomes harder overall. To accompany this, many balance changes have been made to increase the amount of options the player has to overcome the new difficulty level. This includes almost everything to playable units, classes, weapons and supports. The latter of which, can be utilized at a much faster rate overall.

While some of the earlier chapters are arguably easier overall, you should find a better consistency as the game slowly ramps up to make the final chapters now a definite challenge! Armor Knights? Slim Weapons? Light Magic? All valid tools to overcome it as any other!

fepics.png

Here I have listed some of the changes that have been made. You can find playable unit changes, supports and other details.

BASE STAT CHANGES

basestats.png

GROWTH RATE CHANGES

ctJlg2A.png

AFFINITY BONUS CHANGES

supportbonuses.png

SUPPORT CHANGES

supportst.png

MISC CHANGES

miscml.png

fepics2.png

Instructions for use:
1) Download the patch below.
2) Have an original JP copy of FE6 (The patch comes with the English fan translation).
3) Patch the game using NUPS or other appropriate tools.
4) Enjoy! Remember to begin a new playthrough rather than an existing one.

THE PATCH
Sword of Seals ReDux 1.10
THE PATCH

Feedback would be most welcomed!

Note: Only the first trial map has been updated so far (mostly due to focusing on completing the main story), but the others will follow in a future update. Remember that this hack is balanced with hard mode in mind, although normal mode can still provide a challenge late game nonetheless.

Also, just in case you need it--

Here is a savestate that has Hard Mode unlocked.

Edited by DLuna

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shamans/Druids weren't that fantastic to begin with, I'm not sure why you're nerfing their move. You may have overdone it with the archers, and I'm not sure why you turned Marcus into his FE7 self. I might give this a try at some point, some of the changes to the likes of Wendy don't seem too bad.

Remove the Move drop to Shamans/Druids, and up the Swordy/Zerker crit boost to 15%, to make them in line with the other GBA games. Otherwise, I like the look of a lot of the changes you made here.

The reason why Shaman's/Druids have move reduction because they have the best caps, best magic type (Flux now has 3 Weight, 10 mt for reference) and high defenses compared to other magic units. I found that late game, the pros of Ray/Sophia/Niime combat wise make it balanced. Nosferatu is also a factor -- it's one of the stronger things in the game and since clutch/defensive strategies can be the way to go, it's powerful even regardless of stat nerfs. Also, Druids have Anima and start with C staves (unlike Sages who start E except Lilina)

It's also balanced for enemy units. With how dangerous they now typically are, it's balances them out (like Generals).

This is something I can revert however. I'll do some testing and see if it can improve things. Hard to balance though without making them identical to Sages (minus nosferatu).

Marcus is balanced because his bases are less ideal or needed for early game than before, while still dropping off hugely mid/late regardless. Higher growths are there to make him drop off less, but since enemies are far more powerful than before, he'll suffer in the chapters that are more difficult overall (which is what matters). He's still a good wall due to Ice Affinity though. This isn't like FE7 or 8 where Marcus/Seth had good enough bases/growths to remain relevant all game.

Archers don't feel too powerful. Wolt can suffer from low STR and gets eaten by mages late game. Dorothy/Igrene can't double reliably (albeit powerful, which makes them good Long-bow/ballista users) and Klein falls off late game. Archers are still archers however -- no enemy phase combat. And only Dorothy has an Affinity that directly helps her, rather than her partners. In general, Snipers are technically still inferior to Troopers as a class due to -1 move and mono-bows. But stat caps, bases and growths balance this out, if anything. And while Ballista are much better than before (can be captured with many uses left) they are rare of course.

EDIT: As for Swordmasters/Zerkers, they have +1 move. Therefore, I reduced the crit bonus more than normal. Could easily change it 15% based on feedback later though

Edited by DLuna

The reason why Shaman's/Druids have move reduction because they have the best caps, best magic type (Flux now has 3 Weight, 10 mt for reference) and high defenses compared to other magic units. I found that late game, the pros of Ray/Sophia/Niime combat wise make it balanced. Nosferatu is also a factor -- it's one of the stronger things in the game and since clutch/defensive strategies can be the way to go, it's powerful even regardless of stat nerfs. Also, Druids have Anima and start with C staves (unlike Sages who start E except Lilina)

It's also balanced for enemy units. With how dangerous they now typically are, it's balances them out (like Generals).

This is something I can revert however. I'll do some testing and see if it can improve things. Hard to balance though without making them identical to Sages (minus nosferatu).

Marcus is balanced because his bases are less ideal or needed for early game than before, while still dropping off hugely mid/late regardless. Higher growths are there to make him drop off less, but since enemies are far more powerful than before, he'll suffer in the chapters that are more difficult overall (which is what matters). He's still a good wall due to Ice Affinity though. This isn't like FE7 or 8 where Marcus/Seth had good enough bases/growths to remain relevant all game.

Archers don't feel too powerful. Wolt can suffer from low STR and gets eaten by mages late game. Dorothy/Igrene can't double reliably (albeit powerful, which makes them good Long-bow/ballista users) and Klein falls off late game. Archers are still archers however -- no enemy phase combat. And only Dorothy has an Affinity that directly helps her, rather than her partners. In general, Snipers are technically still inferior to Troopers as a class due to -1 move and mono-bows. But stat caps, bases and growths balance this out, if anything. And while Ballista are much better than before (can be captured with many uses left) they are rare of course.

EDIT: As for Swordmasters/Zerkers, they have +1 move. Therefore, I reduced the crit bonus more than normal. Could easily change it 15% based on feedback later though

Caps aren't that important.

This looks pretty cool, I'll definitely test it out.

edit: I'm up to chapter 5 and currently the enemies are a joke compared to your units. Wolt can pretty much orko everything, and Bors is currently inviniclbe aside from I assume mages (who have god awful stats, so Bors can probably survive them too). Maybe I should have done this on hard mode.

I really like the Fe2 music, nice choice.

edit2: chapter 6 has a moderate bump of difficulty. I was careless and Wade died to two flux hits from the shamans, who do insane damage. Until then I was just rolling through everything in a breeze.

Edited by Davinatorman

Good idea. Mostly same as other people it's really easy first few chapters. One thing I found though is that there are some bandits on chapter 5 that have 31 luck, the 2 that rush you, the one on the left (our left) of the castle and the nomad just to the right of the castle.

EDIT: and chad just got one-shoted by the 31 luck nomadFacepalm_emote_gif.gif

Edited by Matt Snow

Just finished chapter 8, and wanted to bring up some things.

First off, there was a huge oversight on Lilina. Since the archers around her have 6 move now, she will always die on turn 2. The only way I was able to bypass this was rushing Saul's ass up as far as possible and using rescue on her. You might want to fix this.

Rescue has too many uses, imo.

The ranged weapons got buffed way too much, there's really no reason to not spam them anymore, unlike in Vanilla where they had shit accuracy and lower might. This is especially true for the longbow, which complete negates the weakness Wolt has (takes a lot of damage from mages/archers) and is really accurate to boot.

Speaking of archers, Wolt and Dorothy got ridiculously overbuffed in my opinion. Wolt is able to orko everything except armors, and Dorothy can (after reaching 10 speed) orko everything period. Maybe not the mercs.

I can tell the game is getting slightly harder, but it's still ridiculously easy since your own units have amazing stats. The only real threats so far were the chapter 6 shamans.

I played this. I's more balanced, that's true, and challenging too in hard mode. Hard mode it's like "Lunatic Minus" difficulty at times. I liked the fact that know people can be useful. It just needs more promoting items - like stealables from enemies or bosses, so it's harder to plan the tactic to advance properly.

Thanks for feedback, I'll look at making some changes.

A lot of the balance has been made with late-game chapters in mind. For example, compared to the original game, the difficulty doesn't actually ramp up a big deal until ~chapter 10. Past CH16 or so, non-premotes are rarely, if ever encountered. As for caps, they do matter at endgame, in some respect. It doesn't matter than other aspects however, I agree.

Also, the hack is balanced for hard mode in mind. But even in normal mode, the second half of the game should still be a nice challenge. I would think in normal mode the first chapters would be very easy indeed.

As for Lilina in chapter 8, I'll hotfix that immediately. Something I strangely overlooked. EDIT: Hotfix has been done. Re-download the patch.

It just needs more promoting items - like stealables from enemies or bosses, so it's harder to plan the tactic to advance properly.

How far are you? There are more promotion items to be stolen, especially chapters 8-13 or so. I believe you get two more guiding rings, for example (one in 8x and another in 12).

I believe that before chapter 16x there's;

4 Guiding Rings

3 Orion's Bolts

4 Knight's Crests

4 Hero Crests

3 Elysian Whip

Should be enough. You can of course buy more at the CH16 secret shop.

Speaking of archers, Wolt and Dorothy got ridiculously overbuffed in my opinion. Wolt is able to orko everything except armors, and Dorothy can (after reaching 10 speed) orko everything period. Maybe not the mercs.

I assume this is on normal mode. Dorothy doesn't double anything on hard mode (except armors). Soldiers on hard have ~8 speed at lowest for example. Wolt is subceptable to STR problems. As for longbows -- they're rare and/or expensive to buy. They're a luxury item like a Killer Weapon would be. I can tell why on normal mode they'd break the early chapters though.

It's hard to balance both normal and hard modes though. In early chapters an enemy with 5 speed on Normal would have 8 speed on Hard. But in later chapters it would be 15 speed on normal and 18 on Hard which is much less of a difference. Power creep is similar but lower bases are obviously very different. If you are on normal mode the bases on early enemies will be awful granted. Class bases are low and growths are high, so in normal the growths haven't kicked in yet for enemies. Whilst on hard, they have (since they have hidden levels).

Sofia gets light magic but Niime gets Anima? WTF? So what does Ray get as his 3rd? Is it a toss-up? Lolwtfisgoinon?

Ray has Anima.

Giving Sophia light is just a unique quality I guess (two magic types at tier 1). Light magic has the highest hit rates to help her early on. She doesn't get Anima at promotion though (just staves).

Rescue has too many uses, imo.

I believe you only receive two in the game total. In general I think it's fine. 20 uses may seem a lot, but rescue isn't nearly as powerful as say, warp. And Rescue promotes interesting strategies and makes the early healers less one-dimensional. I think on a second playthough you would reserve them as much as you can until lategame however. Since in those chapters you need all the help you can get. But using a clutch rescue at any stage can help you in certain situations throughout the game.

One thing I found though is that there are some bandits on chapter 5 that have 31 luck, the 2 that rush you, the one on the left (our left) of the castle and the nomad just to the right of the castle.

This should be fixed now in another hotfix I just did. Seems like some enemies have 0 luck default on that map and I gave the enemies on that map -1 luck, meaning it loops to 31. So I've removed that. So hopefully it's fixed.

Edited by DLuna

Ohh, thank you! just started testing this

Why isn't your hotpatch working? NUPS says it isn't compatible with a base FE6 file

Hmmm... I just tried it (the V1.0.2) and it seems to work fine. Are you sure you're using the correct file? Is it not the original JP copy?

Best advice I could give is to try a fresh Rom if you can get one, I guess.

Got up to chapter 7 so far, and it's definitely much better on hard mode. The difficulty is still a bit lower than vanilla hard mode imo (which partly was because you had a bunch of shit units and 2-3 great ones), but that will probably change in the later levels. I love how this patch makes everyone so far somewhat viable, especially Bors, who went from loluseless in vanilla to extremely useful and invincible in earlygame, but still has huge mage problems. Or Ward, who can actually hit things now. However, I'm not using Dieck, but it looks like he got hit a bit hard. Starting at level 8 hurts his experience gain, and he looks like he might have doubling issues later on. Although I guess he could take a really early hero crest. Also, you weren't kidding when you said Wolt could get str screwed. First playthrough he was an unstoppable 1rkoing god, this playthrough he turned into wussy "I gained 2 str and 3 speed in 10 levels" wuss.

Although I still think you buffed the ranged weapons a bit too much. Part of the downside of 1-2 range was having to deal with low accuracy, but there's no downside whatsoever to using the ranged weapons currently. Maybe that will change later on, I dunno.

I really liked that you changed up the music. It takes away Vanilla's stupid tedious music, which I did not appreciate.

edit: the bandit of 10A, Scollan, has a swordreaver that he can't use, so he's running around unarmed.

Edited by Davinatorman

The difficulty is still a bit lower than vanilla hard mode imo (which partly was because you had a bunch of shit units and 2-3 great ones), but that will probably change in the later levels.

This would be accurate. Chapters 1-7 are mostly easier. The only exception would be chapter 6, which in Vanilla was strangely easy due to enemies having nerfed stats for some reason (Most enemies share a character ID, of which in CH6 had low base stats). Soldiers are another exception, due to much higher Speed (+con) and defense.

Chapters 5 and 7 are noticeably nerfed. They were the peak difficulty in the original game which obviously came upon too early in the game. Chapter 8 is actually where enemies start to get stronger compared to Vanilla (again, aside from 6). Then the curve spikes up to chapter 12, then will be stable until CH17 or so, then spikes up in the split routes again. By that point the difficulty difference compared to Vanilla is huge. Then you'll be fighting 9 move, 24 Speed dragons with the best case scenario being that you'll actually clear CH24 with any Divine Weapon uses left.

especially Bors, who went from loluseless in vanilla to extremely useful and invincible in earlygame, but still has huge mage problems.

I think the main difference with Bors is that he can actually, well... hit things now? Many of the earlier chapters have plenty of axe users to the point where Bors previously couldn't really fight them all that well. Weapon hit buffs and increased skill fixed this. And that extra +1 speed base pretty much solved his problem of being initially doubled for the most part.

However, I'm not using Dieck, but it looks like he got hit a bit hard. Starting at level 8 hurts his experience gain, and he looks like he might have doubling issues later on.

You know, Dieck is probably in the top 3 characters I'm still not completely sure on the balance, but he's still good in practice. In the original game he had low-ish growths, but his dominance early on coupled with how slowly enemies grow post CH7 meant he always remained relevant. This meant he was fine in late game still (AKA, one of the best units in the game). Now he isn't, and struggles more late game. That goes for a lot of units though -- typically prepromotes (which he is better than on average, granted). He also has Thunder affinity and very good support options. He can go A Clarine for great crit rates, and Klein is a very good option for extra tankiness (+3 Def/Res at A). Then there's Rutger for damage or Thany for Dodge. They all come quite early and he's flexible with his class and numbers.

I tried a late game Dieck with Klein support, and he turned out appropriately based on his average stats. He was okay, certainly not the best unit but he shouldn't be I guess. His early game is where he's really good still and can help clear fast. Oujay is by far the better late game-er but that goes without saying.

Also, you weren't kidding when you said Wolt could get str screwed. First playthrough he was an unstoppable 1rkoing god, this playthrough he turned into wussy "I gained 2 str and 3 speed in 10 levels" wuss.

Yeah, Wolt is very reliant on gaining STR due to his low base. In any case he still helps Marcus stay relevant mid-game even if his gains aren't too good. Double Ice is arguably the best affinity combo in the game.

Dorothy suffers from not doubling anything much. But her bases are a lot more reliable for what she does. And she's not expected to double so speed isn't much of a concern. Killer or Brave bow usage is her forte. Percival support makes her pokes godly.

Although I still think you buffed the ranged weapons a bit too much. Part of the downside of 1-2 range was having to deal with low accuracy, but there's no downside whatsoever to using the ranged weapons currently. Maybe that will change later on, I dunno.

Well, they're still the weakest non-iron/slim in terms of mt and are still on the low side of hit. They clearly fall off when you need stronger weapons later on. When enemies start using Spears/Tomahawks they won't compete, obviously. I can always increase the prices of them so they remain a threat when enemies have them, at least.

edit: the bandit of 10A, Scollan, has a swordreaver that he can't use, so he's running around unarmed.

Ha. Must have been when I upped the rank of those weapons recently. I always try to recall bosses that use certain weapons when I change them, yet that one didn't cross my mind! I'll have a fix for that soon.

EDIT: Also, how you finding things where you're at? What units are you using?

Edited by DLuna

Sorry, for the bandit I meant 11b, I get the routes mixed up sometimes.

My team is currently:

Roy (mediocre first run, amazing in current)

Ellen (filler healer)

Saul (for Dorothy support and healing)

Dorothy (capped speed real early, so she still dominates pretty easily)

Wolt (had to give energy ring to get him to keep up)

Wade (amazing, can't double much but since he can hit things now, he hits things HARD)

Lot (pretty meh, support with ward helps, inferior to Ward everywhere except res and 1 spd [like, 8 less str too])

Bors (invincible against physical units, enough speed to not get doubled by most things, able to reliably do big chumnks of damage, hugeee weakness to mages, especially shamans)

Noah (still pretty meh, used speedwing and dragonshield on)

Treck (amazing, better than Noah)

Lilinia (standard Lilina, except she has more speed, enough to stay not doubled and doubling slower units)

And standard filler units (Klein, Marcus, Zealot)

Also, I seem to be using Astol a lot more now since there seem to be more stealable stat boosters on enemies now, which is definitely great.

(This is personal experience so having a still-godly mostly doubling Dorothy or amazing Treck probably isn't the norm)

In my opinion, you should raise one of Noah's growth rates, since higher skill doesn't make that much of a difference when Treck is beating Noah in every other stat (escept res, which doesn't make too much of a difference to be considered), preferably speed by something small like 10% . The only thing Noah really had on Treck in vanilla was higher sword rank for axeland, which was really important, but that doesn't make much of a difference here when Treck can use steel swords now from base. I've been using units in pairs to try and compare them, and currently Saul beats Ellen (like in vanilla, higher res and luck can't really compete with still god awful speed), Wade eclipses Lot, Dorothy is about even to Wolt, and Treck beats Noah (since he can use steel swords from base now, and higher stats all around)

I'm at Chapter 11b (how you supposed to reasonably get that seraph robe in the middle of the mountain :( ) and it's getting a bit more difficult, had to restart a couple of chapters since I forgot where most of the reinforcements pop up, but so far it's been still pretty manageable.

I think the Cavs are fine for the most part. Here's the averages for ~CH12;

NOAH: LV: 15

HP: 32

STR: 14

SKL: 13

SPD: 12

LUCK: 9

DEF: 10

RES: 5

Supports: Fir B, Treck C/Zealot C

TRECK: LV13

HP: 33

STR: 13

SKL: 10

SPD: 11

LUCK: 13

DEF: 13

RES: 0

Supports: Gonzales C, Zealot B (Or Noah C?)

It's pretty damn close. And on the topic of supports, they both have supports that give them Avoid and Critical Avoid. Noah trades defense/Res for a little avoid and hit though. Support with Fir gives Noah more avoid/attack/crit (which is likely B by now). Treck likely only has a C with Gonz which gives him some crit. They can both go for Zealot if they need more damage.

I think Noah wins at this stage still. He has an earlier better support option with Fir and trades STR, SPD, RES & SKL with DEF & LUCK.

They're fairly even otherwise. Cavs gain +3 speed on promotion so they do get a healthy boost to that should they need it.

Alan/Lance is weaker than both though (in terms of raw stats) so if anything I'd give changes to them. Yet they have two support options that give Ice Affinity, which are great for Cavs. And they come immediately. A potential +5 Def/Res by mid-game is really strong. I may revert their base speeds to keep them roughly on par with Noah/Treck though. Alan especially can suffer if he gets screwed. A low base can do that.

As for Ellen/Saul and Wade/Lot. I can explain them.

Ellen is a better healer due to plainly more magic. But their combat efficiency is not as different as you would think. Saul is very, very susceptible to crits and Ellen is almost immune to them as well as having a lot more avoid (like 15 more avoid by mid-game -- and that's without taking into account her own affinity which can easily give 10 more). Saul has speed, granted. And with Ice affinity, can certainly take a couple hits (still gets eaten by crits though).

Wade and Lot... Wade has a better early-mid game. Lot has by far the better late game. More speed, faaar more res (which will matter so much). To put things into perspective, Lot doesn't get doubled by mamkutes. Wade borderline does (Armads coupled with Barrier/Water is enough to stop him getting ORKOed by Divine Dragons, but that's it). Lot is one of the best late game characters in the game, period. Can even double Mamkutes with Murgleis. Out of the four axe wielders (Wade/Lot/Gonz/Geese) Late game goes Lot > Geese > Gonz > Wade. Early/mid is inverted.

Mages are much more common mid/late game, which is where strong early game units such as Wade, Treck, Bors etc... Drop off. And units such as Lot, Noah, Wendy, Geese etc... start to shine. Depends which route you go, however. Ilia is more magic heavy overall.

Edited by DLuna

That all sounds good. However, aren't the best supports for Treck and Noah both Noah/Treck B and Zealot C/B? The growth rate is really fast and Fir and Gonzales come much later and can't keep up with the cavs all the time. If that's the case, Treck's hit problems are lessened, and eventually Treck will completely surpass Noah's stats. Sure, Noah will have comparable stats for 5-7 chapters, but afterwards, Treck would probably surpass him greatly. Noah's 1 speed doesn't mean much, since neither are really doubling anything in the isles, but Noah was over Treck in the tier lists because he could use steel swords in axeland, while Treck was stuck with iron. Since both of them can use steel, theyr'e both pretty comparable in the isles (except Treck can survive easier), but once they're out, Treck's probably going to be doing better. I don't think 5-7 chapters of comparable gameplay to Treck is really worth eventually losing out in all *important* (besides str) stats latergame. Maybe I should wait til I'm much farther in the game before stating my opinion, but this is what I think for just now.

I wasn't really paying attention to the new support stat boosts until now, so I don't really know how much of an impact they made.

Well, compare mid-game where Ilia or Sacae begin.

NOAH: LV5

HP: 43

STR: 21

SKL: 20

SPD: 18

LUCK: 13

DEF: 15

RES: 11

Supports: Fir A, Treck B

TRECK: LV4

HP: 46

STR: 19

SKL: 14

SPD: 18

LUCK: 19

DEF: 20

RES: 3

Supports: Gonzales B, Noah B

Reason for Fir and Gonzales is because they're likely picks if you choose Noah/Treck IMO. Obviously you can go for any option. Gonzales really likes wind affinity (dodge them mages) and Noah is Fir's best partner (IMO) if you should choose to use her. Supporting with each other is only if you use both which doesn't always happen, but yeah, likely.

Honestly, again, they're very similar. Main difference is trading 5 defense with 8 res. Noah will be better at Ilia. Treck at Sacae. Otherwise they are pretty much interchangeable. Noah is a better Axe user due to higher skill, I guess. Both can go for Armads but Noah is the better candidate IMO. Believe it gives him enough res to be 3RKOed by divine dragons, which is nice. Reason I'd put emphasis on the late game chapters because they're the hardest to do efficiently.

Also, the defense cap for paladins is 24, which Treck caps easily (LV13 on average). Noah's still gaining defense at that point.

Edited by DLuna

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess my Treck just got blessed or Noah got screwed, since Treck is currently beating or tying Noah in every stat except res and 1 str, minus the stat boosters I gave Noah. Same for Wade, who's tying Lot in speed and has like 9 more str and 3 more def than him. Did you raise paladin's starting axe rank? Normally it'd be pretty impossible to get any paladin to S rank axe besides Percival.

Also, did you add a bunch of mages in Ilia? I don't remember that many in vanilla.

Two things I want to note: did you intentionally make enemy archers impossible to dodge? I swear, the lowest hit I can get them to is like, 70 with my fastest char (Roy), 80 hit rate longbows are a pain. Second, enemy shamans hit really really hard. As in, Lilina the magic tank still gets 2-3 hit ko'd by them and everyone else is 2hko'd. I don't think they were this ridiculous in Vanilla.

Edited by Davinatorman