Any party members you use for reasons other than usefulness?

Shadow Mir

To the Frog users: dis nigga! Hes great and i love using him. Marle has some better healing techs and Robo's heal beam is better i think but, Frog just rules. His theme, his little muscle flex and his awesome just...Yes.

I use Magus because i am biased and i love Magus. In fact, the only CT character i dont use is Robo.

I often use RPG characters based on whether or not i really like the character themselves. I often use crappier characters when their character itself is cool or some junk. Like in Legend of Dragoon, i like Meru a lot so i use her. Shes not really bad but her physical defense is pretty assy and she doesnt hit that hard. But shes the fastest character in the game and spammy as fuck all with magic and dragoon stuff. I use Rose because shes badass. I rarely use Albert and/or Kongol because they are slow and Kongol's magic defense is serious ass. (really hurts him in late game.)

In Valkyrie Profile, i use Lawfer because he spams so hard with that one spear. And Mistina because one: You cant send her up, and she has some of the best stats for her class. Kashell because i love him. (Arngrim is better but fuck that.)

BoFIV: Ursula and Scias because yes! I actually rarely use Ershin.

Chrono Cross runs see a lot of Glenn and Karsh. Karsh never leaves the party once he joins it. Ever.

ToS: I main Colette because i absolutely love her and Paraball spams.

I like using Frog. I didn't even know he was bad. I didn't know there was such a thing as a bad PC in Chrono Trigger.

He's not bad, but Robo and Ayla outperform him. It doesn't really matter in the end though, because no one is really bad in the sense that someone like, I dunno, Gogo or Umaro or some other obscure character is. You can potentially beat the game with any team, I think, and that's one of the good points of the game.

But he was a nice example for this thread.

My main party for mem aleph was...

Frost King, Ishtar? or some other mid-level megami/fairy monster, Huang Long and PROTAGONIST

With Huang Long being the highest leveled monster I could use at that time.

Huh, I never knew you could beat Mem Aleph with a party like that. I could never really beat her without like, two, three or four Almighty users. Mara is pretty much useless in the second battle though, because Empty Mem Aleph is awful and reflects his moves.

Edited by Nightmare

I often use RPG characters based on whether or not i really like the character themselves. I often use crappier characters when their character itself is cool or some junk. Like in Legend of Dragoon, i like Meru a lot so i use her. Shes not really bad but her physical defense is pretty assy and she doesnt hit that hard. But shes the fastest character in the game and spammy as fuck all with magic and dragoon stuff. I use Rose because shes badass. I rarely use Albert and/or Kongol because they are slow and Kongol's magic defense is serious ass. (really hurts him in late game.)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Albert is the best character in the game, mostly due to rose storm. He does have the hardest additions in the game though (and pretty different timing from Lavitz IIRC).

Other than that, I basically use everyone but Shana and Miranda. Their lack of additions make them really boring, even though they have great dragoon spells.

Edited by L1049

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Albert is the best character in the game, mostly due to rose storm. He does have the hardest additions in the game though (and pretty different timing from Lavitz IIRC).

Other than that, I basically use everyone but Shana and Miranda. Their lack of additions make them really boring, even though they have great dragoon spells.

Albert is really...not. While Rose Storm is among the best incentives to use him, he himself is...kinda meh. He hits hard and his physical defense is kinda cool. But his magic defense and his speed are IN THE FREAKEN TOILET. Hes the slowest character next to Kongol. (Kongol being the slowest.) Poor Al is having trouble with the third disk and onward if he doesnt have a lot of the badass equipment (and that addition completer thing. Forgot what its called...) Have fun keeping him alive during the Faust fight. lawwwl. Albert IS badass for the first two disks though. (except the Lenus fight...)

Shana/Miranda, i use them too. Gates of Heaven is pretty nice and they have the best Dragon summon.

Haschel is probably one of the best in the game. Hes really balanced and super quick. If he had a healing dragoon spell...aww fuck yeah.

Edited by Jon Snow

Huh, I never knew you could beat Mem Aleph with a party like that. I could never really beat her without like, two, three or four Almighty users. Mara is pretty much useless in the second battle though, because Empty Mem Aleph is awful and reflects her moves.

There we go.

Also, I tend to use Moh Shovuu far longer than I should in SJ.

Albert is really...not. While Rose Storm is among the best incentives to use him, he himself is...kinda meh. He hits hard and his physical defense is kinda cool. But his magic defense and his speed are IN THE FREAKEN TOILET. Hes the slowest character next to Kongol. (Kongol being the slowest.) Poor Al is having trouble with the third disk and onward if he doesnt have a lot of the badass equipment (and that addition completer thing. Forgot what its called...) Have fun keeping him alive during the Faust fight. lawwwl. Albert IS badass for the first two disks though. (except the Lenus fight...)

Shana/Miranda, i use them too. Gates of Heaven is pretty nice and they have the best Dragon summon.

Haschel is probably one of the best in the game. Hes really balanced and super quick. If he had a healing dragoon spell...aww fuck yeah.

Yeah... there's an inverse relation between power and speed in LoD. Also, the item that automatically completes additions is the Ultimate Wargod (though personally, I'd rather spend the cashon something else... IF I got so much, that is.). And on the subject of Lenus... ugh. That one's never easy. She's faster than greased lightning.

Jade from Tales of the Abyss, always, and either Zelos or Kratos in Symphonia, without fail.

Locke in FF6, dunno why as he's not that great, but that game is so laughably easy it never hurts me. I like having steal on demand at all times.

For a long time it was Espeon... only Espeon is now really good come gen 5. I love Espeon's design.

Also for the record I find Raven is a better healer then Estelle, considering Love Shot is spammable and has no cast time, meaning it can't be interrupted either. I despise Karol and never use him when I have a choice.

Locke in FF6, dunno why as he's not that great, but that game is so laughably easy it never hurts me. I like having steal on demand at all times.

Yeah... he may not be all that great in the grand scheme of things, but hey, some bosses (like Ultima Weapon) have pretty nice stuff for stealing.

Also for the record I find Raven is a better healer then Estelle, considering Love Shot is spammable and has no cast time, meaning it can't be interrupted either. I despise Karol and never use him when I have a choice.

But isn't it rather expensive? *checks* 18 TP... Not so sure how Raven stacks up TP wise. And when do you get the Emerald Ring?

Also, I usually wind up getting a Ralts in games where it's available, and I will pretty much always have an Eevee evolution in my party.

Edited by Golden Cucco

Who doesn't? In W2, I plan to use an Emboar and Vaporeon when it would probably be smarter to go with Samurott and Darmanitan, so I wouldn't end up grinding on the subway to get brick break and a water stone, but I don't care. Also, Aggron, whenever he's available, even though he isn't that good. In tons of games I've used units to try them out so I can be sure of how good they are. (although I've continually postponed my run with KnollRoll.gif) otherwise, I don't play any video games. Yeah, it's just pokemon and FE with me......

Edited by I don't play for turns

I have never in any game I have ever played constructed a team of fighters for any other reason than because they were interesting characters or aesthetically pleasing. I could not possibly care less if one fighter has the ability to wreck the field if I max them out or strengthen them further compared to one that looks or acts cool. This extends to everything in functionality from items to attacks.

This comes to be a problem with me when I play games where the better-looking equipment is substantially worse than the better things you find. It's why I can't get through Armored Core V right now, my mech's getting obsoleted by parts that look like they were ripped off the world's biggest rusty trash can.

Speaking of which, it's common sense to replace your current equipment with stronger stuff once you get it, but if the stronger equip has some kind of disadvantage that renders it impractical (or if the weaker weapon has an advantage that makes it worth using), then I'll happily stick with the weaker equip.

• 7 months later...

Raven (Tales of Vesperia): His healing aint that bad, tbh. With spell cancelling, he can actually restore 2 other characters AND himself completely within 10 seconds. Loveshot is horribly underrated on this thread. He's also the most interesting & mysterious character in the game (aside from maybe Yaeger or sumthin').

Repede (same game): A playable non-human in a Tales game? Count me in! Aside from just barking, he DOES actually have a personality.

Chrom, Inigo & Lucina, the Exalt Family (Fire Emblem Awakening): Everyone in Awakening kinda grew on me, but Inigo is in my top 5 faves in the game. Chrom is my best bro, and unhateable as a character. Lucina's here because she's so Awesome and cute at the same time. I am a Lucina faithful 4 life!

Kain (Final Fantasy IV): I think he's voiced by Liam O'Brian in the DS Version, and Liam is a beast. He also has the most interesting story to dwell into, with his jealousy involving Cecil x Rosa, and being brainwashed by Golbez.

Kanji Tatsumi & Naoto (Persona 4): Naoto's the most mature character...Hands down. And Kanji is the funniest (sorry Teddie).

Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3): My Persona Waifu. Nuff said.