Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow you people are REALLY nitpicking. I forgot how petty the SF community could be sometimes.

can't tell if srs or just hypocritical ;):

Well, let's be fair: Anacybele asked us to critique her webcomic, so we did as such. We're just perfect perfectionists.

Edited by Agro

Wow you people are REALLY nitpicking. I forgot how petty the SF community could be sometimes.

I'm just clarifying some of the points made by Furetchen earlier, particularly with the Ranulf comment. The hyphens situation is a fair concern that I share seeing as she's going for appearance. As I stated earlier, the ellipses don't mean much either way, but the difference between "thank g- wait" and "thank g-wait" can be a little less clear at times. I'm saying this as someone who is looking at this with not spriting experience, but rather writing experience: it just looks a little odd, is all.

If there are smaller errors elsewhere in the battle sprites and such, I can't help there. I can only give my thoughts regarding the narrative, which I know Anacybele, as a fellow writer, cares about. Again, the hyphen thing is my opinion that I share with Furet: it can lead to problems for readers in certain instances (fragmented sentences vs hyphen connected phrases) and I'd like to have that avoided if it can be helped.

:facepalm:

I meant too late at NIGHT. I'm getting tired as hell. God damn it, people. You've been lecturing me too much.

What do you mean? I never meant for that post to be insulting or rude. In fact, it was meant to be more of an attempt to be funny than anything.

I fail to see the humor and non-hostile word choice.

Ehh... yeah it looks like a failed attempt to me XD It looked pretty angry...

You have a really good attitude about this, y'know~?

I'm not sure that I blame her that much *looks at Furet*....

One thing I don't really like is how bright/light Ranulf's hair's darker shades are. It's actually not that hard making dark shades look dark while keeping the hair light-looking. Right now it just seems to stand out against the outline~

Also the shading on that flappy thingy on him on the right side opv looks really blobby and silly x3

Good lord, you people posted this much while I was asleep?

I think Furetchen is more concerned with how Ranulf is basically unkillable on this map if the boss (strongest enemy unit on the map) can only do 7 damage out of Ranulf's 51 or so HP I see on there. I guess it doesn't matter if you're going for aesthetic purposes rather than practical ones, but I can't say that this map would be any definition of difficult whenever Ranulf is shifted.

As for the hyphens and ellipses, the ellipses can still function with or without a space, but the hyphen looks pretty ugly without a space. Rather than forming a new statement, it kind of looks like Ranulf is saying "g-wait" as a single word rather than a break between statements. If you are going for aesthetics, then this one does matter.

I'm no sprite maker, but I hope this at least helps a bit in terms of clarification.

Ranulf, when transformed, has pretty good defense. That's why the boss doesn't do much damage to him. But on the flipside, Ranulf is lower leveled than he is, so he's going to be hit more often than Elincia and miss more often than she will.

As for the hyphens, I've never seen spaces used after them in literature, so I don't put spaces after them in my writing.

Okay, some real critique. Ranulf's arm is horrid. Like, it needs to be shaded so much better. It's massively pillowed, and there's no first shade at all.
One thing I don't really like is how bright/light Ranulf's hair's darker shades are. It's actually not that hard making dark shades look dark while keeping the hair light-looking. Right now it just seems to stand out against the outline~

Please read my post again. I said I was NOT looking for critique on the mugs.

We're just perfect perfectionists.

Well, I'm not a perfectionist. If it works well enough for me, I leave it alone. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. :P:

Edited by Anacybele

Oh maybe I was going through too fast x3

But...

What are we critiquing now? Elincia's battle sprite?

Cause I don't do those so bye XD

I'm looking for feedback on my battle scenes, pretty much. Including the Ranulf sprite, Elincia attack sprite (that Elincia stationary sprite is old as well and I know it could look better. For example, that swordless arm is too straight and stiff. I don't know what the hell I was thinking there), the Claw icon, my Amiti icon, etc. Also, note that I pretty much took educated guesses on those stat numbers. I have no clue how to calculate them, so yeah. xP (just for reference though, the boss is lv. 15 or 16, Ranulf is lv. 14, and Elincia is lv. 2 Swordmaster)

I also slightly altered the battle map so it would work with this scene (swapped the locations of a hill and forest tile and added another hill so the boss still blocks the only path towards Ike. Ranulf and Elincia are not supposed to be able to get to him unless the boss is defeated). Oh, and random name for the boss is random. lolol

Also, I can provide a tutorial for doing the stretched numbers, if people so desire. It's really quite simple to make them, and doesn't require redrawing the numbers at all.

Oh, also, I did not make the overworld Cat sprite. A friend of mine from DA did and gave me permission to use it. I did slightly alter its palette though, to match that of the other ally overworld sprites.

There you go. I already fixed the Elincia stationary sprite though.

Edited by Anacybele

Please read the staff's pinned topics again:

"Artists, please be aware that if you post artwork, sprites or graphics in this forum, they are on display and up for critique. Please be respectful of those who have taken their time to offer you suggestions and tips. If you have a problem excepting commentary from others in a mature fashion, or do not want critique, please consider posting your art elsewhere."
Edited by shadowofchaos

When you post a work, people will pick it apart. You can't just filter it.

That's the mindset that started the whole shitstorm in the other thread in the first place. "Looking" for certain critique simply shows that you're picking what you want to hear. You are giving a time frame to when you will accept critique or not.

You will never grow as an artist if you think that method is proper.

You can choose whenever to fix it, but saying "Oh, I'm not looking for that right now", you're just shutting people down. "Why post the entire work in the first place?"

"if you post artwork, sprites or graphics in this forum, they are on display and up for critique."

"...or do not want critique, please consider posting your art elsewhere."

It's not "if you don't want critique on certain parts"...

It's the concept that you've been having trouble grasping this entire time.

If a work is posted, it's on display. People will post their thoughts. Saying "oh no, I'm not looking for that" attitude is having a stubborn mindset mindset akin to a certain very infamous member known in the Fire Emblem spriting community.

Basically, looking for specific critique while ignoring all others is "selective listening." Generally, the term holds a rather negative connotation.

Critique will be given in these forums, because the users aim to improve those who they are critiquing. They have the best intentions in mind with you as a spriter/map maker/artist in general. I daresay picking fights with them over their critique is undermining their good intentions. Naturally, such an act can cause a shitstorm like what we see throughout this thread.

Simply, you post here, critique will be given. Whether you accept said critique or not is up to you, however picking a fight with those that critique is unwise. If someone does happen to give bad critique, he/she will be corrected, I can ASSURE you of that.

...I was never intending to pick a fight with anyone. Also, I posted the whole comic because I felt that it was easier and quicker than putting those tiny sprites and icons in separate files.

Okay, not sure if anyone's tried this before, but I took a shot at turning a random photograph I found on Google into an FE GBA style conversation background. I realized there was no suitable background available already for the next comic in my comic series, so I decided to try this.

CustomFEGBAbg.png

It's a mountain path background. I messed with the colors, used filters, that stuff. I probably didn't do that great of a job though. xP Still, gotta take what you can get.

EDIT: Yeah, this isn't really even close. So much for this attempt. lol

Edited by Anacybele

You don't want to see your old mugs get better? =[

And also as far as I've seen, old for you also qualifies as "the entries before this one I just made" so as long as you keep working on as many projects as you do, your stuff will hardly improve at all because you change focus too fast!

There was more I wanted to say but I forget already x3

As a palette freak, I have to say the battle sprite palettes in those pics are terrible. They need /way/ more contrast between each shade. Generally, mugs have a drastically lower contrast level than battle sprites becuase they're zoomed in more, bigger, and larger clumps. So, as most people do, /don't/ use the mug colors for your battle sprite palettes (dunno if you did, but either way, they need improvements).

As for the icons, Amiti looks too much like Light Brand and nothing like the real Amiti.

Don't really have anything to say about Ranulf's claw.

As a palette freak, I have to say the battle sprite palettes in those pics are terrible. They need /way/ more contrast between each shade. Generally, mugs have a drastically lower contrast level than battle sprites becuase they're zoomed in more, bigger, and larger clumps. So, as most people do, /don't/ use the mug colors for your battle sprite palettes (dunno if you did, but either way, they need improvements).

Good point. I won't use mug colors on battle sprites then.

As for the icons, Amiti looks too much like Light Brand and nothing like the real Amiti.

Have you seen Amiti? Check the sword Elincia is carrying in her Brawl trophy. That is Amiti. I referenced off of that when I made her art for my fic, and then referenced off of THAT when I did the icon. I couldn't have done THAT terrible a job of making the icon look like it.

You don't want to see your old mugs get better? =[

Sure, but only the ones I haven't already used for a million things. It would take me forever just to replace the old one in each and every place I've used it.

Edited by Anacybele