shadowofchaos

Fire Emblem: Souen No Kiseki English Patch
9Om5lYq.png

Fire Emblem: Souen no Kiseki convert to English
Version: 0.1
Released: 08/22/2012
By: shadowofchaos

Special Thanks to:
VincentASM - For helping me figure out the FE9/FE10 filesystem and how text pointers work.
SandwichSage and Nintenlord - For both making LZ77 compressors and decompressors. I used them both even though they're interchangable.
BSV - For creating Gamecube Rebuilder.

It's not even much hacking really... it's copying and pasting, and fixing pointers.
It's really not much of a hack. More like a utility patch.

Files Download: Click here
Edit: A save that has beaten the game is included as an attachment to this post if you want access to "Fixed Mode" for your playthrough.

Fixed Mode Save Mediafire Mirror

Please report any GAME BREAKING bugs. Any text problems will be ignored. It's not likely I'll go back to this.

Obviously, this requires the Japanese ISO.

So what's the point of this?

There IS no point. I'm just a weeb and wanted the Japanese voices on the movie files. j/k

Well, yes. There is already an English FE9, right? So there's no point right? Well, there's a counter point to that:

JqsduyY.pnggIM3Xgu.png

Maniac Mode. Easy Mode took its place for the non-Japanese releases. Pretty much the reason why FE10 froze if someone had an Easy Mode save when transferring bonuses.

So what's the difference?

Differences in JP Maniac and US Difficult -

JP Maniac mode generally has 1.3x to 1.8x more enemies than US
Difficult mode, and those enemies are usually 2-3 levels higher than in
US Difficult mode. Also, starting chapter 18, Maniac mode enemies are
almost always promoted and of a high level, while a significant amount
of US Difficult enemies remain weak and unpromoted until chapter 26.
In addition, bonus XP per chapter is cut in half and all XP earned per
battle is subtracted by 5.

In terms of unit placement and item drops, the two modes are close to
identical, except US Difficult mode has had enemies removed and their
levels lowered. In all US game modes, Ike starts out with 4 iron
swords, while in the JP game modes, Ike only starts out with one.
Finally, the US version gives a 10% critical hit bonus to snipers,
swordmasters, and berserker classes, while the JP version gives none.
There are a few minor item differences - many US Difficult enemies
found in treasure rooms carry Chest Keys, while in JP Maniac mode very
few enemies do. Finally, JP Maniac stores never sell Physics, while
the US version does.. this means you must steal/loot every one.

Source: Maniac Mode Guide

This "patch" is performed by running the included GCRebuilder to rebuild the image by using the included files.

It replaces the Japanese text for the story and menus with the English Path of Radiance text.

All story text and menus are English. Even the supports:

engSVhc.pngmhiz1L6.png

Obviously though, there ARE some issues:

DbFOzUb.png6R8Fdy3.png
jOe37JF.pngbYPq5fA.png
Yeah, residual Japanese. Not gonna deal with the game code with that. It's bad enough I had to find out where the "bigkana" font was compressed in the system.cms (Thanks to VincentASM with his help on that)

NQwtvTg.pnghPjmfXy.png

And some spacing issues. XD

But otherwise, it's completely English.

I don't really know if I'll work on this any more, or if I'm gonna attempt to convert Maniac mode into the US FE9, but who knows.
I may... I may not. I might not even have the skills right now to do so.

If anyone knows how release a patch for the ISO, please tell me how. At the current time, Nintenlord's UPS format for GBA Fire Emblem hack patching doesn't work because the Gamecube has a file system that shifts offsets and causes the UPS patcher to basically make a copy of the entire ISO.

How to use:

1. Open up GCRebuilder.
2. Click "Image", then Open. Select your FE: Souen No Kiseki ISO file.
3. Right click on "root" on the very right with the file tree.
4. Click "export" and select somewhere to extract all the files.
5. When it is finished, replace the files in the "root" folder with all the files included in the "FE9 JPN English Files".
6. Click "Image" then "Close" on GCRebuilder.
7. Click "Root" then "Open"
8. Select the "root" folder that you replaced the files in
9. Click "Save" and select your old ISO, or even a new one.
10. Click Rebuild.
11. Once it's finished, enjoy your Maniac mode in English if you so desire.

Note #1: The system.cmp is larger than the original, so using "import" when you open an image to replace the file doesn't work. Not even with Wiiscrubber.
Note #2: The movie files are still Japanese voiced, because the thp files are large. I didn't want to include it in this package.

Video: To be added later. Maybe. I don't know if I have the guts to take on this level of difficulty.

FE9 JPN Fixed Mode Unlocked.zip

Edited by shadowofchaos

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this awesomeness. I want additionally play fixed mode for even more tactical gameplay, which is initially locked. Can you unlock it too, so it wouldnt be necessary to play the game on easy.. again?

Edited by ncknck

If you have a Wii that runs the homebrew channel, I could include a save and the program to restore the save from the SD card to the Gamecube Memory card...

Otherwise, the only way to have it unlocked at the start is by memory hacking it (USBGecko which also requires homebrew)

I don't know how to trace the actual functions and modify it in the actual game files.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Ok this is what i found. action replay codes for J version. Involved me searching the japanese part of the internet and the only word i know in it is kudasai. I was not amused, or maybe i was. Lots of interesting codes including chapter changing one. Tried a random one, they work.

Chapter xx

NART-C05H-17DRB

9TN8-GURB-YEV91

Chapter xx

7T4B-ATU3-VGNJ9

5Y3E-TPQK-JB3JZ

Feedback epilogue

X97U-R7WC-G0XQG

V82K-WPBQ-752GG

These are the last three chapters, one of them is bound to bring the player through the game, not sure which one yet since i havent completed the game even once yet.

edit: tags for google so the next victim doesnt have to search

ファイアーエムブレム 蒼炎の軌跡 Fire Emblem: Souen no Kiseki action replay codes japanese cheats

Edited by ncknck

My zip file includes the homebrew application to run with the homebrew channel to transfer the GCI save file that is included (the RAW memory card file is there as well for people who are using Dolphin) to an actual Gamecube Memory card if they plan on using the patch and save on an actual Wii.

Will this work adequately on a laptop that has 4GB memory?

If your computer has a very nice Graphics card... yes.

Generally, the Dolphin Emulator runs at around 85% for me at certain settings. That's more than playable. You MIGHT have to dump some sound DSPs from the Wii to have it play music properly though...

It plays full 100% speed on really crappy graphics settings... and I have a crappy graphics card (integrated)... but I DO have 8 GB of RAM and an i7... >_>;

It really depends.

Im still playing :D, but so far its been a flawless experience. Progress is slow though, had to replay pretty much every chapter so far, cause of some strategical screwage or plain stupidity on my part. ( or just for experimental fun). I guess maniac mode really is for maniacs.

Edited by ncknck

Dialog between 17-2 and 17-3

Ike is also in nonstop talk mode.

glitch172.th.jpg

Having Ike lvl20 really sucks. He capped in like chapter 10. :D

Seems like the game didn't recognize that Star as the "Hey change your freaking portrait" command. I wonder why. XD

$c0 is supposed to be "load the portrait at the top of the screen" command.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'd love to try this hack out out because I want japanese voiceacting too, but I'm having difficulties finding this game both legally and not.

Any hints on where I could get a copy preferably for free seeing how I already have the PAL version? And if I do, how could I get to extracting the ISO? Through some homebrew app on the wii?

I know these questions probably are pretty borderline in regards to the forum rules.. If you feel like having me search more, feel free not to answer. Just asking shouldn't hurt anyone, no?

To rip the ISO from the disc, you need to use Rawdump on your PC.

http://wiki.dolphin-emulator.com/index.php?title=Ripping_Game_Discs

Or if you have a homebrew enabled Wii, you can use CleanRip as well.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip

I recommend the former, because the latter splits up the files and sometimes results in a more complicated situation.

Is there a way to burn the extracted and patched ISO on the disk on the Wii? What about burning it on a DVD and running through GeckoOS or something similar? then again I can read Japanese so what the heck really, why should I bother when I could just play the game in full Japanese but then again I'm not fluent, eh

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm trying to find a Japanese Soun No Kiseki ISO.

Everywhere I've tried has resulted in me downloading some crap that certainly isn't the game.

EDIT - Can't find anywhere that allows be to download this Dolphin thing properly either. Why can't this shit ever be simple...

Edited by Dr. Silent

The only legal way to get the ISO is to rip it from your own Japanese copy of Path of Radiance. Nobody here will help you find it in an illegal way, because it is against our rules.

As for Dolphin, it is an emulator named Dolphin. It shouldn't be that tough to find.