The Sword of Seals - Plus

Superluigi

[spoiler=Kinda spoiler]

Wendy may or may not be a cavalier any more; I'm still on the fence about that change.

Oh and I've got a modified mug for her, in case I keep it that way.

[spoiler=Yeah that thing]

I guess part of your on the fence thing is this as well from long ago. XD

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really feel like arguing about this very adamantly and pretty much everyone else is going to back me up on this but...

Wolt's problems are not fixed by going from 5 -> 6 base spd.

Every boss in generic FE6 carried a range weapon except for the chapter 1 boss. Wolt didn't do well against them even if you did the horribly inefficient strategy of chipping at 2 range and rescuing him out because he could hardly damage their augmented def and they would heal back the damage on enemy phase anyway. The armor knight bosses (chapters 2, 3, 7) completely neutered Wolt because he cannot even scratch them.

And just think for a second about Wolt's performance against generic enemies. Wolt has 10 base atk. That does not 2HKO L1 fighters with 20-21 HP, 2 def. In comparison, Lance has 10 +1 base atk with an Iron Sword and doubles these fighters, while Allen has 12 +1 base atk with an Iron Sword and does not double. Both of these guys 2RKO and can face multiple enemies per turn due to having a productive enemy phase, better defensive parameters, and appreciable avo from WTA. The saddest thing about Wolt is that he cannot even combine for a 2HKO against fighters with any of Allen, Lance, Bors, or Roy, thereby making him virtually useless (but Allen, Lance, and Bors can combine with each other for 2HKOs).

Please consider doing at least some cursory research into what players think about the currently existing state of FE6 units, and also please consider re-evaluating your design intentions. Sure, part of the challenge of Sophia being terrible in chapter 14 is because she's forced and you can't let her die (if you want the good ending). But what about the 15 chapters after that, where she is hardly usable? And for any half-competent player, keeping Sophia alive in chapter 14 is no challenge anyway because she has superior mobility compared to more than half of your available units and can very easily just hang around in the middle of a pack.

Fair points, if you have any practical suggestions to improve Wolt I may take them into consideration. I'm willing to take on suggestions however I'm not conducting the project to perfectly balance FE6's units.

Stats, growths are not my main priority ATM...

[spoiler=spoiler stuff]

Currently, I'm working on implementing a new map for chapter 3 and fixing a few long standing bugs with said chapter.

Wendy may or may not be a cavalier any more; I'm still on the fence about that change.

personally the whole wendy cav/armor debate seems to have a simple solution to me. The arguments are that she became an armor to be like her brother, so if you wanna keep that change to cav, promote her to great knight, a best of both world's solution. as far as i remember there are no other female knights or cavs in vanilla 6.

but this is all my opinion.

Edited by Duke Zarrikos

Wolt is an archer and thus has a range advantage during much of the early game, hell half the bosses don't even carry ranged weapons. I've given Wolt +1 base speed ATM, so that should help him a bit.

Sophia's starting level has been increased and thus her bases have been increased to match as well. I don't really like messing with the weaker units too much, since half the challenge, of the chapters they are first introduced, is protecting them.

[spoiler=Kinda spoiler]

Oh, surprise reinforcements will still be there gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

You'll get a bit more warning, but they'll still make a glorious return to keep you all on edge.

Perhap's Wendy should start off as a Recruit class like Amelia? Have her promote to Knight, Soldier, or Cav, based on your preference.

Either way, SoS+ looks good so far.

Fuck it, just make her a level ten Axe Armour. Best of every world. Except she's still an armour, but whatever!!

edit: not an order, but if you actually care about suggestions from random asses who probably have no idea what they're talking about (like me and most everyone else who has posted a suggestion except, like, dondon and maybe someone else or two (hint: you shouldn't)) it's likely the best you'll get

Edited by Hikarasuman

I don't really feel like arguing about this very adamantly and pretty much everyone else is going to back me up on this but...

Wolt's problems are not fixed by going from 5 -> 6 base spd.

stuff about wolt blahblah

I want to note that DLuna handled the balance of the archers excellently. What he basically did was give Wolt very, very good speed/skill, which allowed him to excel in early/mid game, but his strength was lowered a bit so that he had a chance of getting str screwed and not be as useful latergame. As for Dorothy, it was essentially the opposite, very good strength, and low speed, which made her excellent for potshotting/longbowing. She was also given a huge resistance boost, in contrast to Wolt's pratically nothing, which made her very useful against mages while Wolt was pretty much 2hko'd by them at all times (because of the ramp of difficulty in his patch). So while he made the archers very unique in their own ways, he also managed to balance them in terms of Fe6. Just thought I'd bring this up since I skimmed the thread and saw the discussion about it, and that you could probably try something like this.

edit: by the way, this was only for hard mode. In normal mode they easily broke the difficulty given how the archers one rounded everything, though I guess the 2-range lock should be taken into consideration.

Edited by Davinatorman

oh yeah great idea let's make wendy worse

Yeah, I agree, that'll just make Wendy even worse.

Why not just up her level / base stats, give her an Axereaver, or perhaps make her a cavalier? I think that'd make her much more usable.

Looking at the FE6 sprites and looking at the official arts makes me sad.

Perhaps you could enlist some spriters to help correct what is arguably FE6's biggest screw up? There's probably plenty who'd volunteer for it.

Yeah, Intelligent Systems perfected their portrait art style in the later games, FE6 was a little rough still.

I don't plan on changing too many portraits ATM, once all the chapters have been scripted and inserted I'll look into giving the graphics an overhaul. The current priority is the core of the game. That being said I have just finished inserting a whole new set of item icons.

Yeah, Intelligent Systems perfected their portrait art style in the later games, FE6 was a little rough still.

I don't plan on changing too many portraits ATM, once all the chapters have been scripted and inserted I'll look into giving the graphics an overhaul. The current priority is the core of the game. That being said I have just finished inserting a whole new set of item icons.

Understandable that you don't want to juggle doing portrait edits at the same time as everything else.

I tell ya what, Luigi. If I do any work on FE6 characters(the whim does hit me occasionally, like with that Percival I sent you way back when,) I'll send 'em your way if they turn out well.

If I could submit some suggestions:

-Give Armour Knights Swords+Lances. This gives them WTC in the axe-heavy chapters where they are otherwise very weak.

-Possibly take away Swords+Lances from Cavaliers and separate them into Sword and Lance Cavaliers, with Paladins also losing Axes. Paladins are already an amazing class without total WTC.

-If you know how, buff the bonuses from WTA to give +/-15 hit, and buff hit rate on Lances and Axes (but cut the MT of Hand Axes and Javelins).

-Make Treck good.

oh yeah great idea let's make wendy worse

Well, quite aside from the impossibility of hacking in Trainees and branched promotions (although branched promotions would be a great addition), if Wendy's base stats were unchanged, she might be better. Grows out of her pit faster and promotes fairly soon into Cavalier, a useful class.

-Give Armour Knights Swords+Lances. This gives them WTC in the axe-heavy chapters where they are otherwise very weak.

-Possibly take away Swords+Lances from Cavaliers and separate them into Sword and Lance Cavaliers, with Paladins also losing Axes. Paladins are already an amazing class without total WTC.

-If you know how, buff the bonuses from WTA to give +/-15 hit, and buff hit rate on Lances and Axes (but cut the MT of Hand Axes and Javelins).

-Make Treck good.

Well, quite aside from the impossibility of hacking in Trainees and branched promotions (although branched promotions would be a great addition), if Wendy's base stats were unchanged, she might be better. Grows out of her pit faster and promotes fairly soon into Cavalier, a useful class.

Pretty much everything here. I might add to give sofiya a growth/stat boost, at least the extent of being a competent attacker (mag, skl), though remaining frail should be maintained to still leave her at a disadvantage.

I tell ya what, Luigi. If I do any work on FE6 characters(the whim does hit me occasionally, like with that Percival I sent you way back when,) I'll send 'em your way if they turn out well.

Thanks.

I'll consider it; Dei made a great animation of a Sword Armour for FEE3. Alternatively I could throw an axereaver in the early game to help Bors, although other than chapter 1 and 9 there are not many axe dominant chapters.

Treck was given a boost in the previous built of the mod. He'll be keeping those stat/growth buffs in this build.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Anyway it's update time ^_^

fireemblemswordofsealsr.png

I'm currently hard at work on a new Chapter 3. Chapter 3 shall boast a new map, the unit placements are not final, neither is the map. The original map in FE6 appears to have been used to introduce the player to corridor tactics. I'll try to mimic that style of gameplay by tweaking the map design, whilst making it more aesthetically pleasing.

In other news Chapter 2 is now set during sundown; "FE8 sundown map palette, custom map palette is on the way.

The mod will also feature Iron, Steel and Silver Longbows.

Suggestion: Replace the menu and battle graphics. Everybody is doing it and there are plenty of neat templates to choose from.

Who has their menu graphics replaced :/

And where are there templates to choose from?

b-b-but rudy :<

what happened to his beautiful golden trim :<

also this is looking nice, if you ever want any map critique or anything map related since that's pretty much all i'm good for, bother me o 3o

Thanks.

Also, that map in the bottom right looks amazing. Is that Chapter 2?

Yeah, it's Chapter 2. There have been a few changes to the map; however the new palette makes it look great.

Suggestion: Replace the menu and battle graphics. Everybody is doing it and there are plenty of neat templates to choose from.

Probably, later on. I'd love a new battle template, but I don't plan on even thinking about major graphical changes until I've reviewed every chapter up to chapter 14.

Anyway, here's a brief change-log of chapter 1. There are no real spoilers, since there are no secrets in chapter 1 or 2. However I'll post it in a spoiler tag, just in case you don't want to see it.

[spoiler=Chapter1 Change-log]

Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals – Plus

Change-log: Chapter 1

Key:

(FE6) - changes from the original

(FE6-P B) - changes from the last beta release

[Gameplay]

- Inserted new map for Chapter 1 – so that Roy's party spawns for the east as opposed to the south, to fit the Geography of Lycia.

- Adjusted Enemy spawn points to fit the new map.

- Adjusted Player spawn points to fit the new map.

- Removed character lock on the Rapier so any character can use it.

- Increased the Enemies base stats. (FE6-P B)

- Allowed the player to visit the second village. (FE6)

- Changed the gift in the second village from a 'Cutlass' to a 'Quick sword'. (FE6-P B)

- Tweaked Wolt's base stats. (FE6-P B)

- Tweaked Lance's base stats. (FE6-P B)

- Tweaked Bors's base stats. (FE6-P B)

- Changed Marcus's 'Iron sword' to a 'Steel sword' and his 'Silver lance' to an 'Espontoon'.

- Changed Damas's main weapon to a 'Bandit's axe'.

[story]

- Removed the opening event where the bandit destroys the village next to the castle. (FE6)

- Tweaked Damas's battle and death text.

- Reduced the number of houses on the map.

- Changed fan-translation chapter title to the localised title.

[bug fixes]

- Prevented 'hard-mode' reinforcements from spawning on 'normal-mode'.

[Misc.]

- Provided individual character slots for each enemy class.

- Inserted individual palettes for each enemy class of the 'bandit' faction.

- Main campaign now utilises Lyn's campaign as opposed to Eliwood's campaign.

If you want any clarification, or more detail feel free to ask.

Edited by Superluigi

Speaking of routes and things you'll never do, it'd be really interesting to see a Hector Route style thing following Lilina, like on her way back to Ostia and captured and all sorts of things like that.