[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I know full well this isnt the place for this question but I must ask, how does one put up a screenshot on this site straight from your PC without using a site? I would like to post some.

You really should just use a site. Like Imgur, or w/e.

You can attach a file to your post, under "more reply options", if you're using the quick reply or whatever, but most people find that annoying as they have to click a thumbnail.

That, and the hack creator wants images spoilers, I don't think you can spoiler attached images?

Edited by L95

Now I know full well this isnt the place for this question but I must ask, how does one put up a screenshot on this site straight from your PC without using a site? I would like to post some.

If you use imgur, one of the links says Linked BBCCode (message boards). Use that one. Not sure if that answers your question.

I agree, Alfred. I thought it was not bad at all. Like you said, you have more than enough tools to deal with it. The Bonecrusher and Faratrass take care of the Knights, Rya can bait and tank all of the monks with her resistance (Or Schwartz can Estoc them out of existence). My Menmus could even blow up a lot of the monks. Saai basically handles half the map for you, and what he doesnt Weiss can clean up without breaking a sweat.

Chapter 6 is fine.

I'm glad to hear that. Thank you for your support, Siuloir. ^^

I was thinking 30 was plenty, as I got all the items in 23 turns or so. That's ~7 extra turns.

Yep. When I first made the chapter, the limit was 27 turns, and it was totally doable.

Then I decided to raise it to 30.

And obviously I used only Schwarz when I balanced the turn limit, since I couldn't assume that people would have recruited the other flier.

So... you can beat the chapter in way less than 30 turns, especially if you have two fliers.

Imo a 30 turns limit is ok.

[spoiler=Ch. 5]I believe I managed about 24/25 turns, all items collected, and that was with a few turns of backtracking to get certain problem items on the last turn before seizing the tavern. I'd say that's enough spare time, especially as just finishing as "newbies" should be attempting (as opposed to the completionist run) would require less.

The trick is to be strategic, which is the whole point of FE anyway. You've just got to be strategic with positioning rather than strategic with things like the weapon triangle. Really though, the way forward is pretty linear and easy enough to find anyway. About the only way I can think of to make it easy for "newbies", would be to implent a "danger" display, and while FE Girls did it, that might be a bit much for one chapter in Midnight Sun (and I never used the FE Girls version anyway).

Besides, it's not like the RNG or the AI can scupper things here. If you lose, you know what not to do next time. Simple as that.

[spoiler=chapter 5]A "danger" display? What's that? I never played FE Girls...

Anyway I totally agree with you on the "strategic" bit, thanks for explaining that so clearly!

Yeah, what L95 said. It's better if you use a site to post your pics. and use the spoiler tags eventually, please

steroidz suggested imgur, that could work.

Personally, I use postimage, it's fast and you can even upload more than one pic at the same time (just use Ctrl+click when you select the images).

Edited by Alfred Kamon

By danger display he means the ability to see all enemy ranges highlighted. So you can instantly know if any of your guys is in range.

Is that even possible in the GBA games? I know it is in the DS games but I;m not sure GBA can do do such a thing.

Is that even possible in the GBA games? I know it is in the DS games but I;m not sure GBA can do do such a thing.

Even if you could implement it, I think it would be a bit game breaking for certain chapters where it is all about strategically placing your troops. I like how it is now, where it's all trial and error. :3

Zhoaer, on 06 Jun 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

As I said, I'm pretty sure FE Girls had it. Something GBA based did anyway. A rather crude version that covered large swathes of the map in red, and I think it only lasted until you selected something, but it was there. Activated through a command on the map menu. I'll post a couple of screenshots later.

I've very little idea how they did it though. Probably something involving "ASM".

As I said, I'm pretty sure FE Girls had it. Something GBA based did anyway. A rather crude version that covered large swathes of the map in red, and I think it only lasted until you selected something, but it was there. Activated through a command on the map menu. I'll post a couple of screenshots later.

I've very little idea how they did it though. Probably something involving "ASM".

dunno why asm is in quotes...

but yes it's in FEGirls

This is the best hack I've played and I just want to say two things

1)Is normal in Chapter 6, the trees stand again after i destroy the tree

[spoiler=second]2)Weiss is normal it is almost amazing as Hellios,because i really need a replacement,and why you don´t alert before of "that" happening?

Sorry but i use google translator

Been playing this lately, and I gotta say I'm really impressed overall. I've recently started modding myself, and it feels overwhelming at times, so I respect you for the time and dedication you put into it.

So far, I'd made it to Chapter 7. While I found it enjoyable for the most part, there are some things I'd like to bring up...

-One thing I had issue with was the stealth mission, but that might have been just me; I'm just not a big puzzle guy. Points for ambition, though!

-I haven't really found the story too particularly gripping, but it's not like I play Fire Emblem for story anyway, and at any rate, it does accomplish the task of connecting point A to point B.

-Something I noticed is that Hellios isn't in the Supports list. Could this be what TV Tropes calls an "Interface Spoiler?"

-I would have preffered it if Shiori had some room for growth, considering the number of times she must be used. I just don't like having enemies killed by a character that doesn't benefit from it, and for Level 20, I really hadn't found her that impressive...

I'm impressed by the music. I like hearing the final battle music from Lunar as the allied battle theme, and the "tension" theme from Tales of the Abyss almost gave me goosebumps the first time I'd heard it. What's the music that plays during the ally phase of the first map? It sounds Castlevania-ish, and I could've sword I'd heard it before, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

At any rate, I just wanted to say great job!

[spoiler=second]2)Weiss is normal it is almost amazing as Hellios,because i really need a replacement,and why you don´t alert before of "that" happening?

spoiler tags to be safe I guess.

I think in the village in chapter 8, It mentions you should probably remove Hellios's and Shiori's equipment. At least I was pretty sure it was the village. I guess if you miss it, you'd have no way of knowing...

Edited by General Horace

What's the music that plays during the ally phase of the first map? It sounds Castlevania-ish, and I could've sword I'd heard it before, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

It's Fate to Despair from Castlevania: Circle of Moon (theme used in the chapel tower). I recognized it pretty much immediately when I first saw previews of this.

Edited by Ryan7556

but yes it's in FEGirls

Woo, that's a nice feature indeed!

...Not sure if I want it implemented in Midnight Sun, though.

Must be a pain in the ass to assembly hack that thing too.

This is the best hack I've played and I just want to say two things

1)Is normal in Chapter 6, the trees stand again after i destroy the tree

Thanks!

1) No, that's not supposed to happen.

...Sigh, you're the second person who tells me about this, so I'm starting to worry.

(Also, it's strange that nobody else got the same problem so far... might it be a problem of the last patch..?)

Could you please tell me what you did exactly? Did you suspend/restart the chapter? Did you use savestates?

Been playing this lately, and I gotta say I'm really impressed overall. I've recently started modding myself, and it feels overwhelming at times, so I respect you for the time and dedication you put into it.

So far, I'd made it to Chapter 7. While I found it enjoyable for the most part, there are some things I'd like to bring up...

-One thing I had issue with was the stealth mission, but that might have been just me; I'm just not a big puzzle guy. Points for ambition, though!

-I haven't really found the story too particularly gripping, but it's not like I play Fire Emblem for story anyway, and at any rate, it does accomplish the task of connecting point A to point B.

-Something I noticed is that Hellios isn't in the Supports list. Could this be what TV Tropes calls an "Interface Spoiler?"

-I would have preffered it if Shiori had some room for growth, considering the number of times she must be used. I just don't like having enemies killed by a character that doesn't benefit from it, and for Level 20, I really hadn't found her that impressive...

I'm impressed by the music. I like hearing the final battle music from Lunar as the allied battle theme, and the "tension" theme from Tales of the Abyss almost gave me goosebumps the first time I'd heard it. What's the music that plays during the ally phase of the first map? It sounds Castlevania-ish, and I could've sword I'd heard it before, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

At any rate, I just wanted to say great job!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you're enjoying the hack, and good luck with your project.

-Yeah, the stealth mission is...kinda particular. It was an experiment, some people enjoyed it, some others not as much, but overall it seemed creative, haha. I won't make another chapter like that, I just wanted to test some events and stop the exp gain for one chapter.

-I think that's subjective. A lot of people liked the story, and I like it myself. I appreciate that you think that it connects point A to point B, because it wasn't that easy to create a story like that without any contradictions of sort. I was stuck in it for quite a while...

-No, don't worry, it's only that I still have to implement the supports. You can use Hellios however much you want, it's so awesome after all *wink wink*

-Hm, there's a reason for that. You should finish the current patch first. ;o Also you can complete those chapters without using her much. I personally used her a lot when I balanced the chapters, so you shouldn't be too worried about the exp that she steals.

I'm just going to test this, this SHOULD show Garion, the one I got at least. Proud of it.

DAT GARION O_O

1) No, that's not supposed to happen.

...Sigh, you're the second person who tells me about this, so I'm starting to worry.

(Also, it's strange that nobody else got the same problem so far... might it be a problem of the last patch..?)

Could you please tell me what you did exactly? Did you suspend/restart the chapter? Did you use savestates?

I exactly had the same problem. It happens after the boss tells all troops to charge when one of the characters is getting close of the soldiers in the south bridge. If you visited the villages and destroyed the trees, then the villages re-open but you can't visit them and the trees stand again.

Anyway I signed in just to say that this hack is amazing. Can't wait to see more \o/ (I played this hack through 2 times because

I overused Hellios during my first play)

I'll probably post my stats later :)

Edited by Bleachya43vier

I exactly had the same problem. It happens after the boss tells all troops to charge when one of the character is getting close of the soldiers in the south bridge. If you visited the villages and destroyed the trees, then the villages re-open but you can't visit them and the trees stand again.

Anyway I signed in just to say that this hack is amazing. Can't wait to see more \o/ (I played this hack through 2 times because

Okay gotcha! Now I know what the problem is. ^^

I'll be fixing it soon.

Thank you very much for the report and the feedback! :D

I exactly had the same problem. It happens after the boss tells all troops to charge when one of the characters is getting close of the soldiers in the south bridge. If you visited the villages and destroyed the trees, then the villages re-open but you can't visit them and the trees stand again.

Oh yeah, I remember the villages reopening, but I never broke the trees.

Edited for spoilers sake.

Also. I dont know if anyone addressed this before, but I noticed that Faratrass said she was the vassal in Shiori's presence when you spare Garion, then says it again to SHiori alone... wouldn't this be a fact she already knows about if she was present and stated she was the Vassal, rather than be surprised in the scene after getting drunk? Just something I believe I noticed... Nothing really major, but it stuck out to me.

Edited by ScumbagJade

but yes it's in FEGirls

Woo, that's a nice feature indeed!

...Not sure if I want it implemented in Midnight Sun, though.

Must be a pain in the ass to assembly hack that thing too.

Pretty sure it was in the beta versions and probably was just "disabled" in the menus.

They probably found it and tweaked it again if it needed that.

Pretty sure it was in the beta versions and probably was just "disabled" in the menus.

They probably found it and tweaked it again if it needed that.

Do you mean the prototype of FE8/7 that was leaked, or was it unused in the final version of the game itself? (because I've literally never heard of it, if it is already there and can be re-enabled, that's actually very interesting)

Edited by L95

Do you mean the prototype of FE8/7 that was leaked, or was it unused in the final version of the game itself? (because I've literally never heard of it, if it is already there and can be re-enabled, that's actually very interesting)

It's easier to disable the option in the menu when you select an empty space than it is to literally delete all those functions.

I'm merely assuming however.

So here are my stats. Note that I haven't used any stats boosters :

[spoiler=characters' stats]

l2kWlFg.png?1

I may have overused her ^^ she's still a tank with a very good magic, skill and def. However she lacks speed and her res sucks >_>

WbNo5Ds.png?1

Well-rounded stats. But I expected a little more. He is no match against FARATRASS THE DEMON QUEEN!

kD1oUOM.png?1

His luck and speed suck. I'll keep using him because he's still good as a flier.

32W3gdf.png?1

My god, he was so bad during my first play but he's good in this. Too bad he lacks def. Love his personality though. Keep feeding the earth with blood, Christoph!

x7ZSOFE.png?1

My favorite one. His speed is a little worse than my first play though. He is still a monster. He could even beat Fa the DARK GODDESS!

EeUqEvQ.png?1

Skill and speed are very good! She's a killer, I just want a little more def and strength.

Lw9UmLJ.png?1

Didn't use her much. I will try to get her a few levels but I will probably bench her due to her strength and def.

l7JYMJP.png?1

I will use him a little more to see how his stats turn out. He's quite useful as he is a little low-leveled. Could be interesting.

5Td1k6l.png?1

She's a little worse than Menmus but her speed is so good. She still lacks of skill. Personality-wise, I love her.

...Oh wait, he's a man?

(I don't see how Fa could think he's a woman but I just wanted to be SEXIST!)

jBlcqSp.png?1

Ironically, she's a Weiss with less def yet more res. Love her. Now that I think about it, my Weiss is pretty bad...

2snt1Ey.png?1

Like Djambo, I will use her more. I think she will probably be better than him.

xofwaQ1.png?1

Been used him during the first chapters. Benched after I get Ceapana.

b6gc3KZ.png?1

I expected more strength and luck but he's still at level 14 so I will use him more. Useful as a thief and I like his personality.

rSyR2oR.png?1

I don't like him. Immediately benched him.

Edited by Bleachya43vier