[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

I'm just saying that and maybe it have been already said but... Nerf the damn ShortAxe xD

1-2 ranged axe for :

10 Mt

112 HIT (even Hellios has difficulties to avoid that)

10 Crits.

ShortAxe > Armades

Edited by Solum

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I managed to kill Saai and get the Soul Mirror item but he still shows up alive at the end of the chapter and makes no mention of being defeated. Did I actually get the Soul Mirror or will that be gone too?

That never happened to me.

I'm pretty sure you did something wrong there, or the emulator just went crazy. Did you suspend/resume the chapter? Did you use tons of savestates?

Nobody else got that problem so I can't consider that a bug unless it gets replicated

I used one savestate, and only restarted the chapter a lot. Do those count as doing something wrong? :/ Maybe the emulator DID go crazy; I am running Windows 8, and the version I used was released before Windows 8 was. If it's another possible cause, I also sped up the emulator a lot with the designated key.

Chapter 5 is more of a puzzle than an actual chapter, it doesn't need balancing. I also made a video tutorial just in case someone is lazy to use some brainpower to beat it-- because that's just it: you don't need to be RNG blessed to beat that chapter, all you need is logic and patience. While sometimes it might get frustrating, I think it can also be a very satisfying chapter, as many people told me.

As for chapter 5, I actually meant chapter 5x. My bad for confusing the two.

About the difficulty in chapter 6: I don't think it's *too* hard to endure the initial assault, and that's the most threatening part of the chapter too. You can restart right away if you get unlucky and/or you don't position your units carefully. It's all but impossible or excessively nasty: you have Faratrass that can 1HKO the Knights, you have the Devil Blade for Monks, or even the Agile Estoc, you have the Bonecrusher, you have the Napalm Shot (if you got it in the previous chapter). Just manage your units well, there's no enemy that can 1RKO you, I don't see a problem there. Perhaps if more people complain about that I could consider to make some changes, but as of now I think it's okay...

I agree, Alfred. I thought it was not bad at all. Like you said, you have more than enough tools to deal with it. The Bonecrusher and Faratrass take care of the Knights, Rya can bait and tank all of the monks with her resistance (Or Schwartz can Estoc them out of existence). My Menmus could even blow up a lot of the monks. Saai basically handles half the map for you, and what he doesnt Weiss can clean up without breaking a sweat.

Chapter 6 is fine.

My Faratrass couldn't do that (she'd also get assaulted by the light mages), my Schwarz couldn't even get to the monks without being assaulted by the non-magic users, and my other units (save Hellios, Puledra, Garion, and Andre) couldn't even survive more than one turn without being both out of range and/or not attacking. Maybe I just got unlucky a lot (my Christoph was useless, couldnt survive very well at all due to unlucky levelups), but I really saw no way to go through the chapter without at least one death, not with how squishy my units were.

I balanced Normal to make it accessible, but not easy or forgiving. I always say that my Normal mode is harder than Awakening's Hard mode, and that's how it is supposed to be.

All right, I guess :/

Edited by Tessie Spoon

So here are my stats. Note that I haven't used any stats boosters :

[spoiler=characters' stats]

l2kWlFg.png?1

I may have overused her ^^ she's still a tank with a very good magic, skill and def. However she lacks speed and her res sucks >_>

WbNo5Ds.png?1

Well-rounded stats. But I expected a little more. He is no match against FARATRASS THE DEMON QUEEN!

kD1oUOM.png?1

His luck and speed suck. I'll keep using him because he's still good as a flier.

32W3gdf.png?1

My god, he was so bad during my first play but he's good in this. Too bad he lacks def. Love his personality though. Keep feeding the earth with blood, Christoph!

x7ZSOFE.png?1

My favorite one. His speed is a little worse than my first play though. He is still a monster. He could even beat Fa the DARK GODDESS!

EeUqEvQ.png?1

Skill and speed are very good! She's a killer, I just want a little more def and strength.

Lw9UmLJ.png?1

Didn't use her much. I will try to get her a few levels but I will probably bench her due to her strength and def.

l7JYMJP.png?1

I will use him a little more to see how his stats turn out. He's quite useful as he is a little low-leveled. Could be interesting.

5Td1k6l.png?1

She's a little worse than Menmus but her speed is so good. She still lacks of skill. Personality-wise, I love her.

...Oh wait, he's a man?

(I don't see how Fa could think he's a woman but I just wanted to be SEXIST!)

jBlcqSp.png?1

Ironically, she's a Weiss with less def yet more res. Love her. Now that I think about it, my Weiss is pretty bad...

2snt1Ey.png?1

Like Djambo, I will use her more. I think she will probably be better than him.

xofwaQ1.png?1

Been used him during the first chapters. Benched after I get Ceapana.

b6gc3KZ.png?1

I expected more strength and luck but he's still at level 14 so I will use him more. Useful as a thief and I like his personality.

rSyR2oR.png?1

I don't like him. Immediately benched him.

Wow, all of your characters are high-levelled. Good job! This will be indeed useful to balance some growths.

I hope you enjoyed the hack. ;o

lv.20 Faratrass... omg. You won't be able to promote her until ch. 15-16, huh

I'm just saying that and maybe it have been already said but... Nerf the damn ShortAxe xD

1-2 ranged axe for :

10 Mt

112 HIT (even Hellios has difficulties to avoid that)

10 Crits.

ShortAxe > Armades

Emh... you broke something. Try patching the ROM again?

This is what the Hand Axe should look like:

[spoiler=hand axe]Handaxe.png

Well, I managed to kill Saai and get the Soul Mirror item but he still shows up alive at the end of the chapter and makes no mention of being defeated. Did I actually get the Soul Mirror or will that be gone too?

[spoiler=chapter 5x]You aren't supposed to kill Saai. In fact, I gave him some Elixirs in the last patch-- I simply couldn't imagine that someone would have beaten him! Props to you! XD

And... yeah, you broke the chapter. Just don't kill Saai to finish it properly. Also, the Soul Mirror will be an important item story-wise later in the game.

I used one savestate, and only restarted the chapter a lot. Do those count as doing something wrong? :/ Maybe the emulator DID go crazy; I am running Windows 8, and the version I used was released before Windows 8 was. If it's another possible cause, I also sped up the emulator a lot with the designated key.

No worries, I found the problem.

I'll fix it asap. Thanks for the report!

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I don't see how people complain about events not acknowledging Saai's death. He's not supposed to die. The game specifically tells you to run after you kill the two paladins.

There's the fact that it can happen and nothing is done in response. The fix is as easy as attaching a "death = Game Over" script to Saai.

[spoiler=chapter 5x]You aren't supposed to kill Saai. In fact, I gave him some Elixirs in the last patch-- I simply couldn't imagine that someone would have beaten him! Props to you! XD

And... yeah, you broke the chapter. Just don't kill Saai to finish it properly. Also, the Soul Mirror will be an important item story-wise later in the game.

Oh yeah, I didn't have the latest patch so Saai didn't have any Elixirs on him. Defeating him (in the previous patch anyway) was just a matter of preserving Elixirs as he switches to his Silver Lance and always seems to attack Shiori who survives with 1 HP. He has unreliable Hit rate on Weiss (44 for my Weiss) if he's using a Lancereaver too so he can chip in too. Ceapana is Saai's preferred target since he OHKO her so I had run away and lead the knights on merry chase around the map once the Cavaliers and Wyvern Riders were dealt with.

However, it turns out that Shiori (who was the one to get the kill) did have the Soul Mirror with her when she reappeared in Chapter 7. This resulted in me easily beating Chapter 7 since the 2 enemies with Killer Weapons attack Shiori were no threat. XD

Meanwhile, Saai was displeased and probably used some strange cosmic powers to create another Soul Mirror which he kept.

None of this actually resulted in any glitches thankfully enough though it did mean that Weiss and Ceapana were mostly out of comission for the next chapter since they had broken almost all of their weapons.

I don't see how people complain about events not acknowledging Saai's death. He's not supposed to die. The game specifically tells you to run after you kill the two paladins.

I'm not complaining though. Just something I thought I should bring up. The Soul Mirror is droppable so you know that people ARE going to try and get it even if you're told you just run away.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

If Saai has Elixirs, then it won't be possible to kill him but you should leave being able to kill him in the game. An early Soul Mirror (I assume one will be available later in the game anyway) seems like a nice reward for someone who manages to kill Saai. It will be like getting an early Dragon Shield in Gaiden even though you're not supposed be able to.

Sure, it breaks the story (Saai somehow gets another one) but it would nice to see an aknowledgement of some sort that a player managed to do what they were not supposed be able to. Many games do this.

Wow, all of your characters are high-levelled. Good job! This will be indeed useful to balance some growths.

I hope you enjoyed the hack. ;o

lv.20 Faratrass... omg. You won't be able to promote her until ch. 15-16, huh

Thanks.

Yeah, it was really enjoyable. It's one of the best hack I've seen so far!

Also that's why Shiori's path will be the best

Edited by Bleachya43vier

! IMPORTANT !

Version 1.2 is out!

Fixes:

- The events will play correctly even if you suspend/resume after talking to Garion in ch.3.

- Village gates and breakable trees in ch.6 won't regenerate anymore. (untested, but should work. Let me know.)

Changes:

- Saai now has an Elixir in ch.5x. Saai's death in chapters 5x, 6 or 7 will now result in a Game Over.

- The boss in ch.7 will spawn with only one minion instead of two accompanying it.

- The ballista now has 12 Mt instead of only 6 Mt.

[spoiler=ballista]change5.png

- Weiss also has an Iron Sword in his inventory at the beginning of ch.5x.

- The growths and/or stats of some characters have been changed.

The biggest change goes to Cattleya:

[spoiler=Cattleya]Cattleya lv.5

HP 23 -> 24
Pow 7 = 7
Skl 10 -> 11
Spd 11 -> 12
Luck 7 -> 8
Def 4 -> 5
Res 6 -> 7
Growths:
HP 85 <- 80
Pow 35 -> 38
Skl 50 = 50
Spd 55 = 55
Luck 45 = 45
Def 25 -> 32

Res 35 -> 40

change1.png

change2.png
change3.png
change4.png
EDIT: This is actually her new inventory:
change5.png
And the Hanabirachi has 10 Crit instead of 15.

And here are the new growths of all playable units:
[spoiler= All character growths]
Garion
-Base Speed +1
growths:
HP 85 = 85
Pow 55 -> 60
Skl 45 = 45
Spd 35 -> 40
Luck 30 <- 25
Def 35 -> 38
Res 15 -> 17
Cristoph
Growths:
HP 80 = 80
Pow 50 = 50
Skl 35 = 35
Spd 40 -> 45
Luck 40 -> 45
Def 25 -> 30
Res 25 = 25
Rya
Growths:
HP 70 -> 75
Pow 35 = 35
Skl 50 -> 60
Spd 55 = 55
Luck 38 <- 35
Def 25 -> 28
Res 40 -> 42
Menmus
Growths:
HP 85
Pow 50
Skl 42
Spd 38
Luck 40
Def 50
Res 25
Letruffe
Growths:
HP 80 = 80
Pow 38 = 38
Skl 60 = 60
Spd 48 -> 52
Luck 45 = 45
Def 35 = 35
Res 25 = 25
Sae'rah
-Base Def +1
-Base Con +1
Growths:
HP 80
Pow 35
Skl 45
Spd 55
Luck 50
Def 35 -> 40
Res 40 <- 35
Andre
HP 70
Pow 45
Skl 45
Spd 45
Luck 50
Def 25
Res 40
Djambo
HP 90
Pow 55
Skl 40
Spd 45
Luck 50
Def 35
Res 25
Schwarz
-Base skill +1
Growths:
HP 80
Pow 50
Skl 40
Spd 60
Luck 25
Def 42
Res 38
Weiss
HP 85
Pow 45
Skl 50
Spd 40
Luck 35
Def 50
Res 25
Ceapana
HP 75
Pow 40
Skl 50
Spd 45
Luck 50
Def 25
Res 45
Puledra
HP 120
Pow 40
Skl 50
Spd 40
Luck 70
Def 30
Res 50
Hellios
HP 80
Pow 45
Skl 50
Spd 40
Luck 40
Def 30
Res 45
Faratrass
HP 85
Pow 60
Skl 40
Spd 35
Luck 60
Def 50
Res 25
Shiori
HP 80
Pow 40
Skl 50
Spd 60
Luck 60
Def 30
Res 45

P.S. Also, is somebody going to hunt all the endings of chapter 2? Hehe!
[spoiler=Ch.2, the SEVEN endings]
1) All the corporals are alive
2) Menmus is dead, Tirado is alive
3) Menmus is alive, Tirado is dead, Cattleya is alive (Best Ending)
4) Menmus is dead, Tirado is dead, Cattleya is alive
5) Menmus is alive, Tirado is dead, Cattleya is dead
6) All the corporals are dead
7) #Menmus' autorecruitment scene if you haven't talked to him during the chapter, and if he's still alive by the end of it.
Edited by Alfred Kamon

I dunno, losing the killing edge (which kind of almost ensures a critical every 2 strikes) seems like a nerf that hits much harder than the bonus skl/spd tbh. The only enemies that Cattleya didn't double before were the thieves in ch3 and the luckos(es?) in ch4.

Er. . .those are some pretty odd growth numbers. But time to give this a shot~!

EDIT: What happened to the file name? It's still v1.1! :P:

Edited by eclipse

I dunno, losing the killing edge (which kind of almost ensures a critical every 2 strikes) seems like a nerf that hits much harder than the bonus skl/spd tbh. The only enemies that Cattleya didn't double before were the thieves in ch3 and the luckos(es?) in ch4.

You have a point.

[spoiler=Cattleya]change5.png

There, are you happy? :3

Cattleya for top tier now

Er. . .those are some pretty odd growth numbers. But time to give this a shot~!

EDIT: What happened to the file name? It's still v1.1! :P:

Hm, are you sure eclipse?

The file in my mediafire says it's v.1.2.

Perhaps it needs some time to rename the folder properly.

But if the .ups patch is v.1.2, then it's ok.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Hm, are you sure eclipse?

The file in my mediafire says it's v.1.2.

Perhaps it needs some time to rename the folder properly.

But if the .ups patch is v.1.2, then it's ok.

Maybe try deleting the old folder, then uploading the new one?

idk. I remember something like this happened to me when I was using Dropbox, and doing what I suggested fixed it.

Edit: It says 1.2 on my end.

Edited by shinpichu

Maybe try deleting the old folder, then uploading the new one?

idk. I remember something like this happened to me when I was using Dropbox, and doing what I suggested fixed it.

Edit: It says 1.2 on my end.

Unfortunately that would reset my downloads count and I don't want that to happen.

Moreover, it works fine on my part

Edit: all right, so it works

eclipse, just wait for mediafire to reach Hawaii

Edited by Alfred Kamon

i'm Honestly surprised that you didn't buff Menmus' speed growth despite the many complaints about his speed. I must have gotten RNG Blessed by the RNG God

I need to play this hack again, try to get every character this time, and actually use Nephenee Sae'rah

This may be late thought, but @Gabriel Knight, Weiss and Menmus are hands down the best sprites in the game (besides the Phantom King in the intro who looks AWESOME) [i'm going gay for Menmus and Weiss]

while I haven't actually tried replaying, i'd say she'll still be kinda weak. A 3% increase in strength growth is about a 1 strength increase at 20/20, so basically nonexistant

she still looks kinda slow, if you look at the other myrmidons from the other GBA games, even normal mode rutgar is a level lower with 1 higher speed, Guy is two levels lower with one less speed (and he's quite a poor unit) and Joshua is an equal level with 2 more points of speed.

I'll give her another shot though, and see if my opinion changes.

Edited by General Horace

i'm Honestly surprised that you didn't buff Menmus' speed growth despite the many complaints about his speed. I must have gotten RNG Blessed by the RNG God

That's nonsensical. He's supposed to be a slow unit. You're basically asking to buff Hector's speed or Lyn's strength because they aren't good enough in those stats. Menmus is strong and useful in his own way. Also, the Agile Hasta makes up for his lack of speed.

This may be late thought, but @Gabriel Knight, Weiss and Menmus are hands down the best sprites in the game (besides the Phantom King in the intro who looks AWESOME) [i'm going gay for Menmus and Weiss]

Lol, good to know that. But why are you quoting GabrielKnight? He did the weapon icons. The portraits were made by Regina.

I take it the leftward pointing arrows in growths are nerfs?

Yes.

while I haven't actually tried replaying, i'd say she'll still be kinda weak. A 3% increase in strength growth is about a 1 strength increase at 20/20, so basically nonexistant

she still looks kinda slow, if you look at the other myrmidons from the other GBA games, even normal mode rutgar is a level lower with 1 higher speed, Guy is two levels lower with one less speed (and he's quite a poor unit) and Joshua is an equal level with 2 more points of speed.

I'll give her another shot though, and see if my opinion changes.

That's intended. She's also bulkier than any other Myrmidon, check the growth rates of myrmidons. ;o

She's slightly slower (she'll cap 20 Spd most of the times anyway) but she has bulk. And that kinda suits one of the classes she can promote into (Spellfencer).

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Lol, good to know that. But why are you quoting GabrielKnight? He did the weapon icons. The portraits were made by Regina.

He was complementing Weiss's Sprite earlier, which I had to reply too :x

....why does the pupil animation use horse sfx?..

'cause Andre is a Horsenichet, a new race in Magvel that can change form between human and horse. Andre's last promotion will be the Horsenichet Sage, and he will be able to use all kinds of magic and axes.

Actually, I just scripted his animation wrong. I'll fix it and the other animations that need fixing soon.

@Ranger Jack: As for now, no.

Edited by Alfred Kamon