[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Hey, just finished the chapters that the current patch provides, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Thought I might go with the trend and post my character's stats and my thoughts about them

uzGIbCd.png

His speed is really the only thing bringing him down. He just couldn't keep up with enemies after chapter 4 (and I didn't want to waste my agile weapon uses on him) and got benched.

Keep Menmus, it's worth it (also Flier is like required with Swchartz for the house chapter)

nhEOXjN.png

Mine isn't slow :3

no dont blame rngesus

wow it's been a long time since I've last posted but I'm totally back and trying to catch up

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep Menmus, it's worth it (also Flier is like required with Swchartz for the house chapter)

nhEOXjN.png

Mine isn't slow :3

no dont blame rngesus

wow it's been a long time since I've last posted but I'm totally back and trying to catch up

I guess my disliking for Menmus just stems from my disliking of slow FE characters in general. It doesn't really help that Schwarz is much better or matching Menmus in many regards. Base Schwarz has 11 strength at level 7, (with a 50% growth mind you, which is the same as Menmus's,) 14 speed with a 60% growth (22% higher than Menmus) and 7 defense with a 42% growth (only 8% behind Menmus!) His only real downside is his low luck and skill, but supports can help those (when they are added of course.)

Edited by Upside-DownFish

1. You can upload images to imgur/imageshack/your favorite hosting site and link them~!

2. In spoilers.

I forgot about imgur. I'll probably add screenshots of my stats soon, then.

Edit: I realized I have nothing else to do, so here they are (some of them were barely or not used)!

[spoiler=Stats post ch. 8]

hCiHbTM.png

5dQej3G.png

7vaogbp.png

k1LSldO.png

I69n9Nz.png

0WPMSv1.png

t1U92GV.png

jocf25U.png

2cXjG4v.png

MdQd5Zv.png

wVMt2Ho.png

dPYfJ9p.png

NL0vOmH.png

kabbxgJ.png

Some of the characters I didn't use will be used on the next update.

Edited by ryan5152001

I guess my disliking for Menmus just stems from my disliking of slow FE characters in general. It doesn't really help that Schwarz is much better or matching Menmus in many regards. Base Schwarz has 11 strength at level 7, (with a 50% growth mind you, which is the same as Menmus's,) 14 speed with a 60% growth (22% higher than Menmus) and 7 defense with a 42% growth (only 8% behind Menmus!) His only real downside is his low luck and skill, but supports can help those (when they are added of course.)

Menus may be slower then Schwarz, and very slightly stronger, but is much bulkier, like a flying general. Plus i use them both so it doesnt both me who's better!

Also @Ryan that menus is as fast as mine, either you got even luckier than me or used a speed wing lol

I don't think I used a speedwing. Is that even an item in this game? Also, the only stat boost item I got was the wishbone. I think there was one other stat boost item, and if I remember correctly (from my second file), the only other item was a lucos fang, which rose strength or magic.

Edit: Oooo. 1400th reply (1401 post)!

Edited by ryan5152001

Fateborn is right. I forgot the real name of the speed statboost, so i referred it to a speed wing, which is the origin of the speed statbooster in this game ofc

Edited by B.Mage

• 2 weeks later...

Kamon plans on redoing world map locations and such since it is possible now. (last I heard anyway)

I don't understand what you mean at the end, but I'm pretty sure there'll be a Shiori and Faratrass routes.

I know there is a split, I got to that part but it just hasn't bee fully done since chapter 9 isn't out. What i mean is that if you pick Shiori, will you get faratrass back?

Been trying out some various hacks recommended to me by Deranger... I've been really enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would from initial description... The writing, the levels, the characters... Its all very well done and enjoyable.

Sometimes the levels are frustratingly hard to keep all my units alive on, or require lots of patience/restarts(looking at you chapter 5! >:O) but the game is actually so well put together that you keep wanting to play it. Great challenge, great variety, great work here.

Looking forward to next update.

Okay, first I just wanted to say that this game is what has 'coerced' me into making an account on here, so kudos Alfred! xD I've been meaning to for a very long time, but never really had the incentive. I do now.

I wanna say that this hack was enjoyable, and that I binged through all the content in less than 6 hours. I get a bit addicted to anything Fire Emblem, so I burned right through it lol. The plot is fresh, the characters are original/don't feel like they're units with personal mugs and names, the maps are all at least decent, the music is very nice, and for once I actually didn't see what happens "later" in the game coming. I had a lot of fun playing it, basically, and I felt those that put so much time and effort into this hack should know that. Thank you, and I hope you continue on with it, because FE: Midnight Sun really is something else.

Onto the other reason I wanted to make this post: In chapter 10,

because Fa isn't the main character, and neither of the 'mains' of the chapter are deploy-able, if the player had previously set 'autocursor' in the settings to 'off' when the game starts the cursor glitches out. It won't move left or right, only up and down, and units cannot be clicked, nor will the menu come up. Basically, if the player didn't have a save-state ready (always have a back-up! Or two...) to go back to the previous chapter to switch 'autocursor' to 'on', they're royally screwed.

Otherwise, I don't believe I ran into any problems along the way (which is rare for any hacks), so great job on that! Color me impressed!

Thanks again. I'm definitely looking forward to future updates ^_^.

PS: That Bravely Default track didn't go unnoticed... *cough* 10/10, makes me want to play Bravely Second even more now xD

In response to above comment:

You don't need to have a savestate. If you just press the "L" button, the cursor automatically strafes to the next character in the unit line, and you are able to move it freely and continue with the game.

I also assume you're talking about chapter 8, not 10. Chapter 8 is technically the tenth chapter of the story, since there's a prologue and 5x.

Midnight Sun was incredible, Alfred. Keep at it.

You don't need to have a savestate. If you just press the "L" button, the cursor automatically strafes to the next character in the unit line, and you are able to move it freely and continue with the game.

I also assume you're talking about chapter 8, not 10. Chapter 8 is technically the tenth chapter of the story, since there's a prologue and 5x.

Ehhh, the last chapter that was playable. If it's chapter 8, then yes.

And good to know! I've never really had to use that on the roms, so that's my bad xD Still is a minor problem, no?

I agree wholeheartedly to that!

Just a quick question:

Are both normal and hard mode already implemented?

Nope. I've only worked on Normal mode (which is already harder than your usual "Hard" mode in FE games, anyway) so Difficult mode is unbalanced. You can still play it though, most of the chapters are ok as they are. I should probably just revamp chapter 5x and chapter 7 (a bit too difficult) and chapter 8 (a bit too easy) in that mode.

So I realized certain events are the same from fe 8, like the Gaiden placements (cannot unsee Shiori as a Ephraim code revamp). Please tell me this means I get the alt. lord back later...

Yes, you'll get Fa back in Shiori's route, and you'll get Shiori back in Fa's route.

Though... you may screw up things later and lose one of them... teh he... eheheheh...

I said nothing!

Been trying out some various hacks recommended to me by Deranger... I've been really enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would from initial description... The writing, the levels, the characters... Its all very well done and enjoyable.

Sometimes the levels are frustratingly hard to keep all my units alive on, or require lots of patience/restarts(looking at you chapter 5! >:O) but the game is actually so well put together that you keep wanting to play it. Great challenge, great variety, great work here.

Looking forward to next update.

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you liked the game. It's always nice to read comments like yours. ^^

Cheers!

Okay, first I just wanted to say that this game is what has 'coerced' me into making an account on here, so kudos Alfred! xD I've been meaning to for a very long time, but never really had the incentive. I do now.

I wanna say that this hack was enjoyable, and that I binged through all the content in less than 6 hours. I get a bit addicted to anything Fire Emblem, so I burned right through it lol. The plot is fresh, the characters are original/don't feel like they're units with personal mugs and names, the maps are all at least decent, the music is very nice, and for once I actually didn't see what happens "later" in the game coming. I had a lot of fun playing it, basically, and I felt those that put so much time and effort into this hack should know that. Thank you, and I hope you continue on with it, because FE: Midnight Sun really is something else.

Onto the other reason I wanted to make this post: In chapter 10,

because Fa isn't the main character, and neither of the 'mains' of the chapter are deploy-able, if the player had previously set 'autocursor' in the settings to 'off' when the game starts the cursor glitches out. It won't move left or right, only up and down, and units cannot be clicked, nor will the menu come up. Basically, if the player didn't have a save-state ready (always have a back-up! Or two...) to go back to the previous chapter to switch 'autocursor' to 'on', they're royally screwed.

Otherwise, I don't believe I ran into any problems along the way (which is rare for any hacks), so great job on that! Color me impressed!

Thanks again. I'm definitely looking forward to future updates ^_^.

PS: That Bravely Default track didn't go unnoticed... *cough* 10/10, makes me want to play Bravely Second even more now xD

Thank you very much! :D

Oh, that bug you're reporting was already listed in the "Read me" that comes in the folder.

I've already fixed it btw, so it won't be a problem anymore in v.2.0.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Also, thank you very much for the compliments. ^^

Nice hack, it's the first time i dont restart a chapter after the death of my characters in a fire emblem game.

Really wanted to continue the story!

Heh, I don't think v.2.0 will come out very early, but it will come out, so look forward to it!

In the meantime... I'd be curious to know: what would you guys like to see in v.2.0?

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Some promotion items. Although, I probably wouldn't use them for a while, remembering my levels... I would also look forward to training units, and weapon forging. Then I won't be afraid to use Oblumbra too much, same with Solaris. Oh, and I assume that, in Faratress's route, Sae'rah will reunite with her dad, because they said he was in Tartarus, so I would like to see how that plays out.

You want suggestions! I'LL GIVE YOU SUGGESTIONS! :P:

- I remember being really low on weapons in 5x, but I'm not sure whether or not this is solely my fault (on Difficult).

- Is there a way to tone done Hellios' experience gain? I'm well aware of. . .uh, other stuff, but if you want to make Chapter 8 harder, the best way IMO is to make sure that he can't solo it. The only other change I can think of is upping the skeleton's RES, but that's going into "screw you" territory.

- I'll add to the promotion items list, especially since Weiss will be ready for it!

- Make Djambo and Sae'rah's trainee promotion speech as hilarious as Andre's :P: