Fire Emblem: Exalted Legacy

Arch

Download

Fire Emblem
Exalted Legacy

What is this tomfoolery?

An FE1 remake. Using FE7 as a base. Basically, this is some tomfoolery that I've been wanting to attempt for a while now. Essentially, ever since I played Shadow Dragon. Intelligent Systems did a decent job on FE11, but I really feel like the game still felt 20-years old. It got a new coat of paint, a nice translation, and a few new gimmick features; but, by and large, the major advances that the series had made were ignored. The chapters were still incredibly systematic; opening text (oh shit, here are some enemies), prep screen, fight enemies, seize castle for every map, ending text (we won but we still have to keep fighting). The class system stayed outdated, characters remained incredibly undeveloped, the plot was still minimal, and, overall, an opportunity to truly bring the first game into the 21st century was squandered. I want to fix that. My goal with this project is to re-imagine FE1 in a way that brings out its full potential; maintaining the nostalgic feel of "this is the first game," while still creating a new experience.

Explain your Methodology, Man

I'd be happy to. There are three different iterations of FE1; FE1 itself, FE3 Book 1, and Shadow Dragon. I'm leaning more towards FE3 Book 1 as a base, at least in terms of chapter arrangement. While many chapters will be overhauled regardless, I feel that FE3's cuts were appropriate. I'll be filling things in with some completely new chapters. I'll also be using some of the Shadow Dragon add-on chapters, or, at least, their concepts for gaidens in this game (not the prologue, though it's referred to in the opening). The script is being completely overhauled, with new scenes and dialogue being added left and right.

In terms of cast, that's where things get a tad more iffy (and, likely more controversial). I feel that FE1's cast is extremely bloated. There is no reasoning behind having six Cavaliers, plus three Paladins. That's nine units of the same class, four of which are (in most regards) utterly worthless characters. Matthis, for instance? He's been made into a Wyvern Rider, since there are no 1st tier wyverns in FE1. Bord and Macellan? My apologies, but it's looking like they won't be returning this time around. I will be cutting characters, and I will be adding new ones too. My goals are as follows; to increase class diversity, to spread out recruitment more evenly, and, most importantly, to do as little damage as I can while working to improve this aspect of the game. I apologize in advance if your favorite obscure/useless character gets the axe.

Proof that I actually mean Business (Screenshots)

fightinpirates.pngmarmarwhereareare.png
getyourtearringsagaoutofmyfe1.pngtreasuremap.png

What about Elibian Nights?

Elibian Nights is still on. In fact, it's progressing at a strong pace. Literally all that remains is to code two chapters, and I could release it as a complete product. I'm going to have an alpha build by November, and from there it's simply a matter of adding whatever extras I'd like to add (which will probably be a significant amount, knowing me). Still, as of late I've wanted to move onto something new. Working on the same project for a year, it starts to wear on you after a while. So, to take a small breather from the project, I've decided to kickstart my next one.

I felt like I should just address this question up-front. Unequivocally, nothing is happening to Elibian Nights. This is simply the beginning of my next project.

I Need Your Help!

No, really, I actually do. It's no secret that I'm definitely not a "graphics" sort of person. My sprites are crap, and I've got a game to code. If you've got some talent with pixelated art and are up for spriting some FE1 character, I definitely need your help! Even if you just do one or two, everything helps!

Sprite Request Topic!

"But, Arch, what if I'm terrible with graphics too?" I understand the feeling. Even if you aren't able to help with graphics, I still need you! With what, you ask? I always want to hear from fans of the series, I always want to hear what you have to say about what I'm making. Even if you think that this project is a stupid idea, tell me why. If you see something that strikes you as off, tell me why. I always try to listen to constructive criticism, even when it's something I may not like to hear. Speak up, your voices matter! I'm not trying to create something just for myself to enjoy; this is for the fans, I want to create a game that we can all enjoy. Hearing what you guys have to say helps me immensely in doing that; even if all you have to offer is some feedback, it's an invaluable resource.

Release Plans

It's a bit early to be discussing these, but the current game-plan for patch updates will be as follows:

v1 - Up to Chapter 5 (Fire Emblem) 100% complete.
v2 - Up to Chapter 11 (The Ageless Palace) 100% complete.
v3 - Up to Chapter 16 (Starlord Marth) 100% complete.
v4 - Up to Chapter 20 (Airborne Terror) 100% complete.
v5 - Everything 100% complete. Edited by Arch

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is an awesome idea, and I think you're one of the people that can actually get it made. So, color me happy. That made sense. Totally mad sense.

I do have a couple questions, if you don't mind. Do you have any characters you are absolutely going to keep in the game? Obviously, Marth, but anybody else?

Also, are you planning to have multiple difficulty levels?

Since I can't help on the graphical front, I'll attempt to offer feedback when I can, along with the many other people that will probably be helping.

Is that a TearRing Saga homage I see in one of those screens?

Either way, this looks like it could be quite interesting. I'll be looking forward to this. Hopefully this other ambitious project won't get the axe like FE4A.

Hopefully you'll also increase enemy diversity. Facing all those Armors and Cavaliers sure are nice to make Shiida top tier, but it gets boring fast.

Edited by Dio

Are you planning on adding actual supports?

What kind of remake would this be if I didn't add actual supports? It's one of the core features that Shadow Dragon was stupidly missing.

Is that a TearRing Saga homage I see in one of those screens?

Hopefully you'll also increase enemy diversity. Facing all those Armors and Cavaliers sure are nice to make Shiida top tier, but it gets boring fast.

Good eyes. At the end of Ch1, King Mostyn (the King of Talys who has a name now) gives you the choice of one of four men to bring along on your quest. Lifted straight out of TRS, honestly. I even made Wrys a Bishop so that he'd function as Lee does in TRS.

Do you have any characters you are absolutely going to keep in the game? Obviously, Marth, but anybody else?

Also, are you planning to have multiple difficulty levels?

I'm planning on at least a Normal and Hard mode, and perhaps an Easy Mode patch if demand for such a thing arises. I'll leave the H5 to Shadow Dragon, though.

As for characters; who am I absolutely going to keep in the game? The answer is an incredibly long list. I want to keep most of the cast. I'm not going to list them out, but all of the staple characters will be returning. Approximately 80% of Shadow Dragon's cast is in this game.

inb4 this becomes FE4 Advance all over again

this is gonna be like FE4 advance all over again won't it?

I think I'm just gonna take a shot of whiskey each time someone mentions FE4A. Let me just say this; FE4A was a terrible idea, FE4 could never be enhanced by using the GBA engine, and it was a foolish, 14-year old version of me who believed that it could. It's all in the past; this time, I'm not in over my head. I got this shit, guys :P:.

Edited by Arch

Not Biraku!

This. Villuck/Biraku's too important to leave out.

Also, it's great that you're adding at least some character development in comparison to Shadow Dragon's none whatsoever. That was my biggest issue with the game.

Edited by Davinatorman

Good eyes. At the end of Ch1, King Mostyn (the King of Talys who has a name now) gives you the choice of one of four men to bring along on your quest. Lifted straight out of TRS, honestly. I even made Wrys a Bishop so that he'd function as Lee does in TRS.

Considering you have a choice between him and a Mage, I actually wonder if he's going to have any early combat. Or perhaps you'll choose to have him have one Light magic tome for quite some time. Even the Mage herself might have to have something particular over the likes of Marich and Wendel while the Soldier could get something that Kain and Abel don't have. At least Darros has waterwalk and an arguably better promoted class over the three axe bros (and I bet one of them is going to be axed literally).

Edited by Dio

What kind of remake would this be if I didn't add actual supports? It's one of the core features that Shadow Dragon was stupidly missing.

Will the supports give the characters alternate endings and effect the gameplay unlike in FE12?

I wish you luck on this, this look amazing and I'm already hyped. It's nice to see more projects on Akaneia.

I may hopefully try to contribute to graphics to help out, though all I make are splices.

I'm also looking forward to a FE3 remake, because FE12 was kind of meh.

What's the pick a character thing on the screenshot? Slow.

I see Darros though, so that's excellent to me. Though it makes no sense to me on his new recruitment. Then again the scripts being changed so. I think that it would be good to keep the characters who have little of their class available, like Darros, Etzel, and the Manaketes, so I'm hoping there's another pirate available if you're making Darros optional (even though I'll get him every time). Speaking of Etzel, will Gaiden characters be appearing? And another question (sorry for bombarding), how will you deal with Hunters and Ballisticians?

Edited by Macho Barbarian Darros

Considering you have a choice between him and a Mage, I actually wonder if he's going to have any early combat. Or perhaps you'll choose to have him have one Light magic tome for quite some time. Even the Mage herself might have to have something particular over the likes of Marich and Wendel while the Soldier could get something that Kain and Abel don't have. At least Darros has waterwalk and an arguably better promoted class over the three axe bros (and I swear one of them is going to be axed literally).

More like 2/3rds of the axebros are going to be axed. Literally.

The Magegirl is definitely a unique unit, certainly. Merric's join-time has been pushed back a bit (his Ch4 appearance was completely random), so this unit basically has a lock on magic action until Ch6. Wrys might be able to nab a Light tome, but Magegirl is definitely designed for steady combat (much moreso than Merric, who's more of the stereotypical magical-nuke, as always). Wendell's been pushed back significantly as well, he's not a factor in early-game.

As for the Soldier, he's sort of an early-game Est. If you've played TRS, you could essentially equate him to Narron. Narron started slow, but had the potential to really tear things up once he got going. You have to put in some effort to use him, but the reward is pretty good (plus, you get a fucking Halberdier).

What's the pick a character thing on the screenshot? I see Darros though, so that's excellent! I think that it would be good to keep the characters who have little of their class available, like Darros, Etzel, and the Manaketes. Speaking of Etzel, will Gaiden characters be appearing? And another question (sorry for bombarding), how will you deal with Hunters and Ballisticians?

The "pick a unit" is exactly what it sounds like. At the end of Ch1 you get to put one of those four units to take with you on your journey. Darros, Wrys, a Soldier, or a Magegirl.

Etzel and Horace are definitely in, dunno about the other two.

Hunters and Ballisticians will be in the game.

More like 2/3rds of the axebros are going to be axed. Literally.

The Magegirl is definitely a unique unit, certainly. Merric's join-time has been pushed back a bit (his Ch4 appearance was completely random), so this unit basically has a lock on magic action until Ch6. Wrys might be able to nab a Light tome, but Magegirl is definitely designed for steady combat (much moreso than Merric, who's more of the stereotypical magical-nuke, as always). Wendell's been pushed back significantly as well, he's not a factor in early-game.

As for the Soldier, he's sort of an early-game Est. If you've played TRS, you could essentially equate him to Narron. Narron started slow, but had the potential to really tear things up once he got going. You have to put in some effort to use him, but the reward is pretty good (plus, you get a fucking Halberdier).

Interesting, though I hope you'll add more axe users later since FE1 had a huge axe deficit. Or perhaps it's going to fix itself with Heroes, Generals and Paladins (maybe Wyvern Lords?) getting axes.

Ah cool. I figure Wendell joining near or in Khadein is going to be better for game balance anyway.

Great! Essentially an easier to use Donny then, who can actually use lances in his later career. To be fair I'm not a diehard fan of Halberdiers, but I can see people fanboying over this guy and going BEST LANCE INFANTY EVER, GENERALS DON'T COUNT!

I'm going to go out on a limp and say that...

No :P:.

Interesting, though I hope you'll add more axe users later since FE1 had a huge axe deficit. Or perhaps it's going to fix itself with Heroes, Generals and Paladins (maybe Wyvern Lords?) getting axes.

Wow, I'm actually incredibly glad that you brought that up! I hadn't given the axe deficit much thought. There will be two fighters, at least, Darros, and a Brigand. Wyvern Riders & Wyvern Lords are going to be maining axes, and of course Heroes pick them up. I'm unsure of what I'll be doing with Paladins and Generals, though.

I was excited until you said Roshe was being scrapped. :/

If it's any consolation, he's the one that I'm most unhappy about scrapping.

Edited by Arch

I will be looking at this hack with a lot of anticipation! Elibian Nights was simply the best hack I've played to date, and.. I expect this to get at least close to that! FE11 was my first true love towards the series too, so I'm curious about the things you'll opt to do differently. Yay~