Fire Emblem: Exalted Legacy

Arch

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt giving her hands bigger than those fitting for a five-year-old would constitute as "man hands".

And why the hell did you have to make her smaller? Standard GBA has horrible shoulder proportions for women. DS at least has respectable proportions regarding that, if anything.

Consistency mainly. Sheeda would stand out a lot more if I hadn't squeezed in the shoulders than she does with a tiny hand, which BTW would be even smaller proportionally if the body was still wide.

This is awesome! I am looking forward to this like nobodies business I tell you!

It's seeing projects like these that make me want to invest time into learning to sprite well so I can contribute something. For now, I'll just say I'm totally in support of this.

...Is Marth finally going to get a promotion? I assume that's what "Star Lord" Marth in the first post indicates, but one can never be too sure with Marth (he should totally start with no pants)

This is awesome! I am looking forward to this like nobodies business I tell you!

It's seeing projects like these that make me want to invest time into learning to sprite well so I can contribute something. For now, I'll just say I'm totally in support of this.

...Is Marth finally going to get a promotion? I assume that's what "Star Lord" Marth in the first post indicates, but one can never be too sure with Marth (he should totally start with no pants)

Star Lord sounds kinda. . . flamboyant as a class.

Marth's supports with Sheeda should have a running gag where she keeps catching him without pants on.

If he promotes at all, he should have a name that doesn't have "Lord" in it. Better yet, change his starting class from Lord to something else. Maybe Prince, and have him promote to King during a coronation ceremony when they retake Altea.

Or make it impossible to save all five of them?

I'd rather have the game force a recruit at the end as opposed to people making up stupid strats in an attempt to save all of them.

Will you make archers not be pains in the ass to raise? Or atleast keep a Short Bow with 1-2 range?

F- yeah reply #100.

FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME

1-2 SHORTBOWS ARE NOT THE ANSWER

If he promotes at all, he should have a name that doesn't have "Lord" in it. Better yet, change his starting class from Lord to something else. Maybe Prince, and have him promote to King during a coronation ceremony when they retake Altea.

This might have been a good idea except that in Archanea one is not a king until they marry (or, he's still referred to as Prince Marth in FE12).

Or atleast keep a Short Bow with 1-2 range?

Hahahahahahaha...

This really needs to stop. It's a /bow/, you don't fire off a bow when you're right next to your target (unless it's a magic bow or like legendary or whatever that justifies it).

A short bow doesn't mean it can fire from a short distance. It's just a short bow to make it lighter and easier to shoot with (and other things probably but cbf to look that up).

I'd rather have the game force a recruit at the end as opposed to people making up stupid strats in an attempt to save all of them.

Stupid strats? I personally quite like it when the game encourages me to think outside the box and pursue alternative and unorthodox strategies.

Hahahahahahaha...

This really needs to stop. It's a /bow/, you don't fire off a bow when you're right next to your target (unless it's a magic bow or like legendary or whatever that justifies it).

A short bow doesn't mean it can fire from a short distance. It's just a short bow to make it lighter and easier to shoot with (and other things probably but cbf to look that up).

THEN EXPLAIN WHY SEVERAL HACKS HAVE THE SHORT BOW BE 1-2 RANGE! Alright, point proven. I'll shut up about it now.

EDIT: the point was proven. Gosh...I should refresh whenever I have a reply open for more than 10 minutes...or stop being distracted when I post a reply.

Agree that shortbow 1-2 is stupid. Melee shooting is more a skill rather than I CAN DO THIS NOW WITH THIS BOW I HAVE FOK YEAH

I will say, though, it would be interesting to make Hunters have that ability to melee shoot with hunter bows locked and long bows unusable. It'd definitely separate the hunter and archer class more than promotion differences and help that premote class less redundant. With that, though, it'd be a balancing project to keep the archers from becoming obsolete because they wouldn't be able to melee. lolidk. Shittin' ideas here.

Edited by Redfield

Hahahahahahaha...

You aren't "right next" to your target in 1 range to begin with, at least that's not how the battle animations display it. There is some distance between units even in short range.

(sometimes very short)Short Bows were the ranged weapon of choice for mongols because it allowed them to fire their arrows quicker than your typical bow or Long Bow, which gave them much greater mid range value while on horseback and in areas with rough terrain. Short Bows have worse impact from distances than longer nock bows; their primary use over one is as a mid range weapon that requires less pull to be dangerous at those ranges. So if there was ever a normal bow to give 1 range, it would be that one.

That said, the logic behind it is pointless. Nobody is going to choose to use a bow at face to face melee range in reality, and there isn't a bow out there that is a good idea to use at those ranges (that's not to say it is impossible either), but I don't see the issue with it in the case of a videogame. We're talking about a game where people stand there and let you attack them before they counter. There is no reason that magic should work at close range for the same reason it is argued that a bow shouldn't. Some class' magic casting animations are even longer than an archer's shooting animation, especially their criticals. Nobody would ever stand there and let you cast a spell at them, just like nobody would ever stand there and let you shoot at them. You can't argue that a 1 range bow is some kind of travesty without also thinking it is dumb for casters to go uninterrupted - they're even more defenseless than an archer.

Fire Emblem certainly does not market itself as a shining beacon of realism in the videogame world. It's a game; it just becomes stupid when you start exaggerating the importance of realism. If you don't like or agree with their idea, or think it is uninteresting and not a significant fix (I would agree then) then that's fine, but trying to make an argument based on realism in a game series featuring magic, dragons, 12 year old battlefield gods, demons and flying horses? Sounds like a waste of time to me. The game's mechanics aren't realistic to begin with, why squander interesting ideas (again, I don't believe this one is) for the sake of preserving a nonexistent ideal? It's a pointless argument altogether.

On another note, you might remember that games in the FE series have already had 1 range basic bows.

Edited by Tangerine

Very well said. I agree with the short bow being the the ONE bow in FE to make sense.

Some of us are realism junkies who try to preserve as much as we can in the FE universe... just to let you see the method to our madness. With that said, though, It's really Arch's project. I won't protest if that's what he wants to do. It'd make slight sense, not perfect sense, but I wouldn't protest. We can just go with realism in our own projects and not push that idea onto others.

I would hope that Arch's decision not to have 1-2 range short bows would be based on the fact that it does not really fix the Archer's issue. Not because it is unrealistic :P.

An idea that improves the balance of the game in a significant way should never be ignored based on realism, unless it is really 'out of this world' ridiculous.

I actually do some archery in my spare time and it's not that far-fetched to shoot someone when they're right next to you (especially if they're coming at you with an axe?)

Technically speaking though, any bow could be shot right next to someone, so making just the short bow have 1-2 range would be stupid (and making every bow 1-2 range would be absolutely idiotic)

So for gameplay and a touch of practicality, I'd say leave all bows 2 (or 2-3 or something like Furet did for DoW), since obviously 1-2 is just broken and dumb. (Although potentially possible IRL)

My hipster old-school self is extremely disappointed it’s not Sheeda.

I'm supposed to be the weeb here. Stop stealing my anti-localized name role. BELF FOREVER.

So for gameplay and a touch of practicality, I'd say leave all bows 2 (or 2-3 or something like Furet did for DoW), since obviously 1-2 is just broken and dumb. (Although potentially possible IRL)

Inb4 FE10 bowguns suggestion.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I actually do some archery in my spare time and it's not that far-fetched to shoot someone when they're right next to you (especially if they're coming at you with an axe?)

Technically speaking though, any bow could be shot right next to someone, so making just the short bow have 1-2 range would be stupid (and making every bow 1-2 range would be absolutely idiotic)

I would say it is pretty farfetched for any type of bow above a certain length to be fired at close range with a dude attacking you :P. The thing that makes shortbows practical is the speed with which the shot can be made lethal. You'd have to be preeeeetty strong to have a longbow act with the same effect at those ranges.

I couldn't even use a longbow when my father first started teaching me, lol. Granted I was fairly young at the time, but yeah it was a mess.

Edited by Tangerine

I would say it is pretty farfetched for any type of bow above a certain length to be fired at close range with a dude attacking you :P. The thing that makes shortbows practical is the speed with which the shot can be made lethal. You'd have to be preeeeetty strong to have a longbow act with the same effect at those ranges.

I couldn't even use a longbow when my father first started teaching me, lol. Granted I was fairly young at the time, but yeah it was a mess.

That must have been because your target was too close to you.

It really depends what kind of distance you're talking about, I guess :P And yeah, you'd be a lot slower shooting something with a longbow close range, which would make it pretty impractical to shoot someone who's attacking you, especially when you factor in aiming. It all just depends what kind of distance, how big/what kind are the bows in question, etc.

God damn you physics/realism/somanydifferentfactorstoconsider!

Either way, 1-2 shortbows are bad? :3

Star Lord sounds kinda. . . flamboyant as a class.

Marth's supports with Sheeda should have a running gag where she keeps catching him without pants on.

Or go the Sword of Seals route and promote Lord into Master Lord. Anything sounds cooler with 'master' in its name, and Roy is pretty much just Marth with red hair.