Fire Mumblem: The Chronicles of Lussaria (Beta 1 Released! 1/2/2014)

MarkyJoe1990

Well, I can't seem to get back to work on my project. I have no end-game to this scheme, and I find myself unwilling to take the time to seriously commit myself to this project anymore. I have other interests that I've found more fulfilling and... I feel like the only reason I want to finish this is to appease all the people who helped me in making this project. I think it's best I stop lying to myself. I'm sorry, everyone.

I’m very sad to hear that, because I just played through it, I’ve even made 3 episodes of it on youtube and I’ve enjoyed the absolute hell out of it.

I’m very critical of hacks, and I will tear them apart verbally if I think they are bad, but this hack is immense. The map design is very good, the humor is stellar, and I love the cut-scenes in between chapters where the hackers discuss the ongoing story. Your hack made me laugh, many times, and gave me a very entertaining time, and I'm grateful for that!

Motivation is a tough thing however. If you’re doing things just to please others, you’re going to get burned out. You have to enjoy the process of creating something itself in order to find the willpower to move on. I understand creating a hack involves a tremendous amount of work, but I hope you change your mind, because we badly need more hacks designed by talented artists such as yourself and your friends.

Here’s the first part of my LP of your hack. The other two parts will come out in the next two days. Even if you won’t continue the hack, I hope you at least find some amusement in them (I made them some time ago, long before I saw your last post).

Edited by Mangs

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m very critical of hacks, and I will tear them apart verbally if I think they are bad,

You won't get very far with this kind of attitude, at least in the community anyway

I’m very critical of hacks

This is a reoccuring problem I have been seeing. People seem to wish to hold hacks to the same quality standard as the commercial releases, which is honestly silly. Sure, there are a lot of times where lack of effort, poor writing, etc are writ large and I am not suggesting these things be overlooked, but it seems lately that very rarely is due consideration given to the fact that nearly all hacks are the work of small teams (or even simply one person!) of hobbyists rather than a team of professional artists, scenario writers, programmers etc.

While there should be a standard of quality expected , you can in no way look at a hack the same way you look at a professional game release, as it lends itself to a lot of unequal comparisons.

Edited by Siuloir

Well, I can't seem to get back to work on my project. I have no end-game to this scheme, and I find myself unwilling to take the time to seriously commit myself to this project anymore. I have other interests that I've found more fulfilling and... I feel like the only reason I want to finish this is to appease all the people who helped me in making this project. I think it's best I stop lying to myself. I'm sorry, everyone.

It's always unfortunate to see a project die, but I know well what this feeling's like. Good luck in your new endeavors.

EDIT: Argh, double posted. Apologies.

Edited by Siuloir

This is a reoccuring problem I have been seeing. People seem to wish to hold hacks to the same quality standard as the commercial releases, which is honestly silly. Sure, there are a lot of times where lack of effort, poor writing, etc are writ large and I am not suggesting these things be overlooked, but it seems lately that very rarely is due consideration given to the fact that nearly all hacks are the work of small teams (or even simply one person!) of hobbyists rather than a team of professional artists, scenario writers, programmers etc.

While there should be a standard of quality expected , you can in no way look at a hack the same way you look at a professional game release, as it lends itself to a lot of unequal comparisons.

He really likes TLP and Sacred Dawn, he isn't that critical of hacks

To be fair... I like some of the ideas in The Last Promise. To give an example: Lussaria and Feltyn's dynamic in the latest version is kind of my attempt at doing the Anakin and Kelik dynamic. I haven't released the latest version, but eh... maybe I'll do it. The cutscenes and dialogues in the prelude and chapter 1 have been very heavily changed. Might interest or even inspire some people. Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I was referring to Mang's comment, and really just the community at large. Not targetting Marky. I apologize for the confusion.

To be fair... I like some of the ideas in The Last Promise. To give an example: Lussaria and Feltyn's dynamic in the latest version is kind of my attempt at doing the Anakin and Kelik dynamic. I haven't released the latest version, but eh... maybe I'll do it. The cutscenes and dialogues in the prelude and chapter 1 have been very heavily changed. Might interest or even inspire some people.

I find this interesting because in general it seems en vogue to hate on Kellik.

Edited by Siuloir

I was referring to Mang's comment, and really just the community at large. Not targetting Marky. I apologize for the confusion.

I didn't take offense to it. I just like talking. >.>'

I find this interesting because in general it seems en vogue to hate on Kelik.

Kelik has a lot of problems, but he actually has a very interesting dynamic with Anakin. Kelik's a disillusioned, worldly mercenary. Compare this to Anakin's more naive and sentimental point of view. Their perceptions often clash, and it creates a theme of Cynicism Vs. Idealism in the story. Honestly, if Kelik wasn't so needlessly jerky, and spent more time being the wise person he sometimes is, he'd be a MUCH better character.

Kelik has a lot of problems, but he actually has a very interesting dynamic with Anakin. Kelik's a disillusioned, worldly mercenary. Compare this to Anakin's more naive and sentimental point of view. Their perceptions often clash, and it creates a theme of Cynicism Vs. Idealism in the story. Honestly, if Kelik wasn't so needlessly jerky, and spent more time being the wise person he sometimes is, he'd be a MUCH better character.

Gameplay also factors into that. Kelik is massively overpowered, and story wise he gets more favouritism over the likes of Shon.

Gameplay also factors into that. Kelik is massively overpowered, and story wise he gets more favouritism over the likes of Shon.

This is also true, and since with the story, he gets his own one on one boss fight.

Though on a note of this hack closing, I am a very big fan of your work Markyjoe(Youtube, Reviews ect) And I am disappointed that you are discontinuing this project. But hey, if you lose interest, no point in forcing yourself in working on it. I might play whatever is left of this(if you keep the patch up) and might play it in the future.

This is also true, and since with the story, he gets his own one on one boss fight.

Though on a note of this hack closing, I am a very big fan of your work Markyjoe(Youtube, Reviews ect) And I am disappointed that you are discontinuing this project. But hey, if you lose interest, no point in forcing yourself in working on it. I might play whatever is left of this(if you keep the patch up) and might play it in the future.

It's possible I'll go back to it at some point in the future if I change my mind; perhaps what I really need is a break to refuel my inspiration and drive. If I do, I will make sure I have the story planned out before I get my hands dirty again. I am confident in my level design skills, but - despite having a mother who is a published writer - I have trouble writing stories. Edited by MarkyJoe1990

It's possible I'll go back to it at some point in the future if I change my mind; perhaps what I really need is a break to refuel my inspiration and drive. If I do, I will make sure I have the story planned out before I get my hands dirty again. I am confident in my level design skills, but - despite having a mother who is a published writer - I have trouble writing stories.

Take a hiatus, come back and see if you can have a bit more inspiration to work on it.

I'm not good at stories either, but I always leave and think if I can make the story better or change it a bit.

Ah, I was referring to the other posters response.

Jerky is the rule of anti-hero thumb these days, and it's pretty easy for that to spiral out of control into straight out douchey. (Though I don't find Kellik as unlikable as other protagonists...). I'm not particularly harsh on him though, as to be fair the writer behind him was a young teenager at the time, still developing his chops.

Anyway, digressions.

Your hack is not going anywhere, you can always return to it if you wish. But yes, I highly recommend outlining and scripting heavily.

Edited by Siuloir

Yeah, you can always just take a long break. I haven't heard a word on EN for like half a year but I know it will come out eventually. Hacks take a long time to come out, but I try to support people on their way. Remember that people will gladly give advice and critique if you ask. For now, I don't think throwing it all away is the answer. This hack already has some very unique concepts that I want to see more of.

• 5 months later...

About ten months and no further progress. I think it's time to call it quits. For real this time.

I've sent the request to lock this thread. If you have any questions, just PM me.

Sorry to anyone looking forward to this.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• 9 months later...

Alright. So... I want to be clear on something here.

Unlocking this thread and announcing that I am working on this hack again was either a major mistake, or a minor correct choice. I don't know why I chose to do this. It was just an urge or gut feeling, I guess, but I am painfully aware that I don't function well when I feel like I'm under scrutiny.

I've made amazing progress in the past few days. If that suddenly halts, I'm going to assume that having this thread open again might be the reason and I'll wipe this thread off the face of the earth. Then I'll go back into hiding and either release a new update when I've made a couple chapters of progress, or when I've completed the hack entirely. I don't know which, but right now, I'm feeling confident that I can complete this hack.

So... I guess that's all I want to say. I'm not gonna make promises on a date for the next release. I don't promise to finish this hack, and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. The only thing I want is to make progress so I can feel satisfied that I realized my vision for a hack.

... Eh... Perhaps this wasn't a good idea, but we'll see.

Currently, Chapter 2 is very close to completion. All that's left is to write the cutscenes. If you're wondering why I've only made one chapter of progress... it's because I've completely overhauled the cutscenes and dialogues for the previous chapters, rebalanced everything, implemented some new mechanics, and a bunch of other stuff that I don't really care to mention. From here, chapter progress should go by pretty smoothly. At least in theory.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I will say that in the past, I never got as much progress done on a game as I did on FE7CM, because they all had threads and I learned a big lesson from them:

It's easier to make a full and complete project, then bug/balance edit, than it is to release a project incrementally, because 80% of your time and energy will go into balancing/fixes/people's requests rather than continuously adding new content. I have learned the lesson, and I will not forget it.

• 3 months later...