Battle palette in FE8

Heartwhisperer

I was wondering if the battle palette in FE8 for each character is strictly bonded to their class.

Exploring the Battle palette nightmare module I noticed that it's different from the one of FE7...

In FE7 you just have the characters, in FE8 you have something like "Vanessa (Peg Knight)", "Vanessa (FalcoKnight)"...

Does this mean that Vanessa will use that palette only if she has the PegKnight / FalcoKnight class...?

Also I've personally tried changing class to some characters and they got the standard class color, the palette became irrilevant.

Sooo, am I doing the right conclusions or have I broken something...?

In case, how do I allow, for example, Vanessa's palette to work on her Archer class, etc.?

Thank you

Palette order and association is different for each class, so it kind of has to be. :E

You'd have to recolor them and reorder the palette to match the specific class.

Kitteh has a list of palettes that follow the same order somewhere.

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

Dis from eric kitteh

-Eliwood, Eliwood Promoted

-Hector, Hector Promoted, Hero, Linus Hero, Female Mage, Mercenary(Fixed Version), Lloyd SM(Fixed Version)

-Lyn, Lyn promoted

-Brigand, Fighter, Pirate(Fixed Version), Berserker(Fixed Version)

-Myrmidon, Shaman, Swordmaster, General(Fixed Version), Druid, Snipers, Dark Druid, Summoner, Kishuna, Male Sage, Rogue

-Pegasus Knight, Falcon Knight

-Wyvern Rider, Wyvern Lord, Wyvern Knight

-General, Warrior, Berserker

well if you're trying to edit the order, then you have to go to like GBAGE or what ever you use.

If you just want it associated with another class and don't care about the palette looking weird, then you can just use the nmm

I... I don't think I'm quite understanding this, I'm sorry...

Firstly, the only palette editor for FE8 I have is "FE8 Battle Palette Reference", in the Animation folder. Nothing else. I downloaded the modules from Fireshrine again like 1 minute ago, so I'm sure they're not outdated.

Then... Jubby, I don't understand that quote of yours, it clearly seems for FE7, not FE8...

I have a general idea of how palettes work, which is that the game has standard colors for each class, and then a different palette associated to each character. The pointers of said palettes are the ones in the nmm modules.

Am I wrong..?

Yeah, probably yes, I would like someone to explain it more properly to me.. thanks..

Also why do I have to reorder the classes palettes and why would it screw up things if I do it with the nmm module (the one it seems I don't have)?

I thought that since the game associates a specific palette to, for example "Moulder x Priest", I just had to edit it to "Moulder x Mage" to have it work on a Mage class Moulder.

Edited by Heartwhisperer

There's a pallete association editor, 2 of them, for fe8

One sets the classes that will be used for the character, one the other sets the specific palette. Just look at the two mods and it should make more sense. My palette thinger isn't really going to work with fe8 because fe8 specifies every class used for a character, mainly because the split promotion option.

Ok here's how you do it.

1) Download my personal scavenge of FE8 modules http://www.mediafire...our7h2shkr5hr7k

2) Open your FE8 ROM in Nightmare

3) Load the Battle Palette Reference in the Animation Folder

4) say for example you want Erika to be a Paladin with Seth's palette, then copy the offset for Seth's palette and paste it into the Erika slot

5) go change and do your stuff and make Erika a paladin

6) then open the FE8 battle palette association editor in the Battle Palette editors folder

7) go to the Erika slot (for this example) and it should show

Trainee Class

Base Class

Second Base Class

First Promotion

Second Promotion

Third Promotion

Fourth Promotion

8) the dropdowns next to those should show the class list. So because paladin is a promoted class just go to First promotion and switch Erika Master Lord to Paladin

just a note the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th promotion is just the many other promotions you can change into. Because you know how in FE8 you can choose what class to promote to

It should be pretty straight forward and you should get it

credit to everyone who made the nightmare modules

Edited by Moocavo

Okay I tried it and it worked, thank you very much! ^^

Ah I didn't understand this:

well if you're trying to edit the order, then you have to go to like GBAGE or what ever you use.

If you just want it associated with another class and don't care about the palette looking weird, then you can just use the nmm

Why should the palette look weird using the nmm? It's okay till now, it worked...

Is associating the palette to another class supposed to screw up something?

Ah, also....

I was wondering if there was a palette offset for Ewan(Pupil), Amelia(Trainee) and Ross(Trainee).

Ah alright, eheh!

Don't worry, you helped me a lot anyway!!

Still need to know if the trainees have their own palette by the way. XP

Mmmh.... maybe no, since they're unique classes, right?

There is no need of a palette for a class which is character-only!

That's also why Lords don't have palettes.

I think I got it.

I just need to resprite the Pupil with new colors and then rewriting the script and reinserting it.

Oookay!

I don't know.

They aren't listed in the palette editor and I think they work just like Eirika and Ephraim.

I changed their animation and mantained the lord class, but the color didn't change according to a specific palette, so they don't have a palette and they just use the animation colors.

Which is also logic, since they are the only "Eirika Lord" and "Ephraim Lord".

And since Ross, Amelia and Ewan are the only "Journeyman", "Trainee" and "Pupil" of the game, there is no need for a palette for them as well..

Palettes are used to make the same sprite look different, after all.

But this is only a theory of mine, I'm going to change the animation and see what happens...

I'll let you know... =>

Edited by Heartwhisperer

• 2 weeks later...

I confirm that the trainees, in their own slot, have no palette.

(which means that if you have a trainee class as the base class of some character, you can apply that character's base palette to the trainee sprite. But if you want to keep the original Ross/Ewan/Amelia class slot, you have to resprite the whole thing...)

Basically the only point in keeping them as trainee is that those particular class slots have hardcoded ASM that let them automatically promote when they reach level 10, I guess..

• 3 weeks later...

Up!

I noticed that using the nightmare module to change the palette screws up the palettes of that character if he is of another allegiance (NPC, Enemy).....

How could I fix it..?

With GBAGE I think but.. where can I search for the enemy and NPC palettes..? And should I pay attention to something...?