Fire Emblem Online (Patch v0.6b Available!)

Lamia

About to give it a spin! Been waiting to play this hack ever since I came across it on YouTube a while back ago. You and Shin really inspired me ot start hacking FE4 for my personal enjoyment.

Maybe one day FE4 and FE5 will have an English speaking hacking community, ha ha!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About to give it a spin! Been waiting to play this hack ever since I came across it on YouTube a while back ago. You and Shin really inspired me ot start hacking FE4 for my personal enjoyment.

Maybe one day FE4 and FE5 will have an English speaking hacking community, ha ha!

wouldn't that be nice, we could finally start working on what the japanese have done like 3-4 years ago

wouldn't that be nice, we could finally start working on what the japanese have done like 3-4 years ago

If there's more than one person, it's a community, right? So many years of being ALONE. I'm making limited progress with events and the like. So far, I can break things, but that's pretty much it.

I'm not quite bold enough to try writing completely custom events for a chapter until I can figure out a couple more things like the location of extra chapter data pointers, but I've sorta figured out a few things and have overwritten one or two, but never directly changed much

I'm hoping that I can work a couple things out by the final chapter since there's important plans for it (it will be pretty epic)

alright beat chapter 3 and played part of four just for the lol you have created an awesome hack! but needs a lot of balance specialy on the skill and stats, some units join promoted and their stats are well...terrible. the money influx versus repair cost MUST change in the middle of chapter 4 my units are whitout money and their weapons are close to breaking. you should bring more physical units into the fight because training milani, jel and janne is a real pain since most enemys are magic users and they lack M.def while certain units like alex has a good M.def while being a mix in attacks he can get close dish physical damage and whitstand the magic one (same for Narel). Corala and the rapier was a great idea since you bring a lot of armor enemis. the item shop needs more magic tomes since you use lots of magic units but a serious lack of tomes. well thats all i can think from the top of my head but seriously good work and keep up im loving the story and a FE4 hack is always well receibed since its my favorite

I've added an important feature in my hack that requires high versions of ZSNES to disable the 'Use New GFX Engine' setting in the options, else there is visual glitching on the emulator (not the ROM)

the glitches also happen in the latest version of SNES9X but I'm not familiar enough with the emulator to know how to fix it

hopefully it's not too much a hassle for you guys (the feature is easily undone if it causes more problems)

Ah, that's unfortunate. It might be necessary to list what versions of what emulators are compatible with your project, as there seems to be some issues in your game that fly with inaccurate emulators (ZSNES is really outdated and buggy, forcing more games to work than actually allowing them to do so) but crash when thrown up on more accurate emulation. Provided a list with the patch release will help a player experience the least problems or unintended bugs.

This seems pretty interesting. I guess I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: I've played a few turns of chapter 1, and I have to say it's pretty fun, though there is a small amount of sexual content.

Edited by GarlandDaHero

I'm really impressed about this hack, I never was interested in any Snes FE game, so I downloaded everything (zSnes) and tried to play it. It didn't work, maybe I need to change some configs (never used zSnes), can you help me?...
Thanks and keep it up!

Did you apply the patch to the correct ROM? SNES ROMs can have headers, which offset the location of various data within the game; if the patch was intended for a headered ROM, for example, and you applied it to a non-headered ROM, then most of the changes will be applied to the wrong areas. That might be why your game doesn't start :o

I use Snes9x 1.53 without any problems, if you wanted to try another emulator. It should work fine right from the start.

Oh, thanks for the explanation Celice, I will try to test with other ROM (I saw like 3 or 4 different o_O).

my patch is made to be compatible with the baseline ROM, ' Fire Emblem - Seisen no Keifu (J) ' and it's gotta have a header

any others will cause unintended edits

I finally got to work the game, found the right ROM, but I still have problems with the text... It's mixed between the Japanese and english text.

Edit: Don't mind the last message, I use Lunar IPS and it works perfectly (I was using JIPS).

Edited by G.Nic

• 1 month later...

not much progress at the moment, just refining things for the most part

I cleaned up the weapon rank area and made it look nicer

FE4akanesim_00094.png

now if only I could figure out a way to use that empty space for something

Impressive.

I know Binary added Wins/Losses in the sidebar (instead of Talk), but I guess that has gameplay consequences (wins give a critical boost). Other than that, I'm not sure what else could fit in that empty space.

I'm still kinda confused which magic is which, though. I really need to try and get that patch to work so I can get a clearer idea...

Edited by Miacis

Impressive.

I know Binary added Wins/Losses in the sidebar (instead of Talk), but I guess that has gameplay consequences (wins give a critical boost). Other than that, I'm not sure what else could fit in that empty space.

I'm still kinda confused which magic is which, though. I really need to try and get that patch to work so I can get a clearer idea...

since I removed the weapon rank text you pretty much have to figure it out through dialogue or the specialty mages (like lamia being a force mage) although I do need to add more letters to those class names

now that I know how to reposition tiles I may be able to make room for the longer ones

Edited by Lamia

You could raise and pad out the skills to fill out the space. You could also, perhaps, port over the blood types to this screen if no one is going to have more than three, and have it fit in the gap. That would let you skin off the blood screen for any extra graphics you'd want to use elsewhere, or to use the screen for something else entirely (it'd actually be kind of cool to have it be like a world map, and the "blood" actually shows where the character is from).

Alternatively, you could create larger weapon rank sprites, so it's a little clearer what your new icons are supposed to be.

You could raise and pad out the skills to fill out the space. You could also, perhaps, port over the blood types to this screen if no one is going to have more than three, and have it fit in the gap. That would let you skin off the blood screen for any extra graphics you'd want to use elsewhere, or to use the screen for something else entirely (it'd actually be kind of cool to have it be like a world map, and the "blood" actually shows where the character is from).

Alternatively, you could create larger weapon rank sprites, so it's a little clearer what your new icons are supposed to be.

well seeing as I only use holy blood for more diverse weapon ranks due to no children, I was hoping to use that screen for something different, my personal world has magic fundamentals and theory that is represented by a diagram (put simply, a triangle) I do have a set of short descriptions for each magic type for anyone's curiosity

I'd like to change that holy blood map to that diagram while placing the blood markers to their affinity (which also counts physical characters), would be a nice touch methinks, and me figuring out sprite placement along with having a graphics decompressor just makes it a matter of time

increasing the weapon icon size actually seems like a cool idea, but I run into a problem in that menu text is aligned to a grid while the icons aren't, so there's a good chance that the ranks will look odd (and I don't know how to possibly increase the size of the weapon rank letters to make up for it)

as for padding out skills, while I could probably figure it out, there's not really much use in doing so... if only I could figure out how to insert something unique there

Edited by Lamia

• 2 months later...

hi again guys, still no real update yet, but minor change in that I've modified the menu font (and also changed the engrish 'possession item' into 'held inventory') what do you think

FE4akanesim_00097.png

Edited by Lamia

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to rehauling the class names, all of them now take advantage of an 11-letter limit instead of the default 8

FE4akanesim_00103.png

much better now, and can actually tell what the magics are called (through element, spirit, arcane, force, and essence mages)

(also pictured is the latest new portrait)

Edited by Lamia