How long should a Fire Emblem game be?

Jotari

With our modern system a Fire Emblem game could be made with over a hundred different chapters. But should it? Should Fire Emblem be a big eighty hour game that takes the better part of a month to play through? Or should it be a quick game that you play again and again in order to utilize different characters? I think Radiant Dawn is longest by Chapter count at forty three and Seisen no Keifu is the shortest with tweleve (but those tweleve are really really big. The overall shortest? I'm not sure maybe The Sacred Stones or one of the NES ones). So what Fire Emblem game do you think was the perfect length and how long in general do you think a Fire Emblem game should be?

Edited by Jotari

I'd say either FE7 (with Lyn's mode) or FE9 felt like a good length. I'd say something like either of those would be good. Long enough where there's a good amount of chapters/maps, but short enough so where it doesn't seem to drag on (like how FE10 did).

Edited by Konnor97

It's a balance of plot interest, character development/relationships, and engaging gameplay. Depends on pacing, though.

I'd say ~30 chapters as an average, though. Anything longer than that tends to be a bit tedious, not to mention the plot starts dragging along/interrupted by useless fillers.

I'd love to see another game like FE4; 12 chapters long but multiple parts to each chapter.

FE4 is in many ways, a bit different. It's almost like it's two games in one. If you're going to count FE4 as being ~40 castles in length, why not count FE3 as being 42 chapters in length?

And really, the longest FE is without a doubt Awakening. 50 chapters, not counting DLC. DLC brings it up to ~70. And they may not be finished with DLC, and there's skirmishes.

Edited by Anouleth

If they had 100 chapters, I'd expect the game to include multiple stories. That's way too many chapters for a Fire Emblem game (I doubt people want to spend 100 chapters with characters they don't like, even if it means spending 100 chapters with the ones they do).

(I doubt people want to spend 100 chapters with characters they don't like, even if it means spending 100 chapters with the ones they do)

I would, but only if the roster was huge, because you're probably going to max out your characters pretty early unless the game was designed to prevent that somehow.

---

FE7 gave me a good impression on the length the game should be. It wasn't so short that I felt too much had gone untouched and not so long that I get bored. FE8 could have been longer in my opinion, but that wasn't really necessary; they had different routes and more post campaign value.

I would, but only if the roster was huge, because you're probably going to max out your characters pretty early unless the game was designed to prevent that somehow.

They probably could with a bit of EXP scaling. Three tiers or characters overall fifty nine levels to gain (since you can't start lower than 1 and assuming promotion would work by level up like in Radiant Dawn.) If it was made so characters aren't going to level up more than once a chapter than all you need is two armies and you could carry a game well into a hundred chapters before maxing out a full end game number of characters. Number of units that can be deployed per chapter would also have a significant effect on it.

Edited by Jotari

It should be 30 chapters but 30 FE4 sized chapters!!!

i like this idea but with an option to play it as each castle as a singular map and with more than just running around to sieze castles other gaols as well

i like the idea of a minimum of 30 chapters, but if they can do 100 balanced interesting fun and challenging chapters i am all for it (though drafting that could get ridiculous and the completion rates)

Huh, not sure what to think about it. I guess I'd like them to surprise me. Given the most common structure for the games is a linear progression of levels, in which the player only spends as much time as needed to accomplish their objective, my uneducated guess is that they'd be able to wring the most plot and characterization out of having a lot of those levels, but if they have something in mind that they think would work better shorter, I guess I could still be interested in seeing it.

I wonder what it would be like to play, even moreso than fe13 (though on reflection it might fit the bill in some ways that didn't immediately come to mind) an episodic-release Fire Emblem, or one that had not just an overworld map but was a sandbox of sorts (preferably one with a different method of transportation than that of the fights, so as to avoid making the act of going anywhere tedious as fuck, of course). this was going to be a more substantial post but internet connection bleh

Awakening has 50 chapters in the main story. Awesome.

Nice.

30 chapters is ok but i like my games a bit on the long side. So about 40 chapters of the main story is just about right. FE8 was actually too short. Sure we got extra content but the main story was too short for my liking.

Edited by Dunban

50 doesn't sound too much given the circumstances. And quite frankly, I would hope that I don't have to spend the largest part of the game doing stuff outside of the narrative by recruiting Spotpass characters and stuff like that.

Edited by BrightBow

I'd say 10-20 hours for story is a good pick with oodles of extra content and possibly a NG+ mode. I hate that, when you beat the final boss, the game just... ends. There is no continue, rarely extra content, and if you wanted to level up a full team, no chance to really do so. If you want to try out a new character you have to restart from the very beginning. I'm not sure what a NG+ should entail. Most likely something minor like +2 to bases that were capped on the prior game or an inventory transfer or... I don't know. But something to allow us to play through multiple times and not have each subsequent run-through merely be a repeat of prior ones.

• 4 years later...

I actually think Radiant Dawn is a good length. It's the longest game by about 10 hours, but something about those 10 hours really made the gameplay standout(It really made the three tier class system seem fleshed out, and it mad it feel like your units really were some of the strongest people on the planet by the end), and the build-up to the endgame is probably the best in the franchise. With a bit more focus on consistent writing, I think a 40-45 hour FE could work really well. It'd also need a few more gameplay hooks, like height and whatnot, to really work for that long.

But I'm fine with the 30 hours of other FEs. There's something to be said about RPGs that don't overstay their welcome.

Edited by Slumber