Zelda Wii U

Anacybele

So, the latest Nintendo direct told us of two Zelda games coming for the Wii U. A brand new, original title, and a remake of The Wind Waker.

Now, as a hater of TWW, I was disappointed to hear of the remake. I would have much rather seen a remake of ALttP or MM, for either 3DS or Wii U. I'm not a big MM fan either, but it's much better than TWW, imo. And ALttP is a masterpiece and my favorite Zelda after Skyward Sword, Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures. Yes, ALttP has been ported before, but it has yet to be given a true remake. It hasn't had updated graphics or new features (barring the Four Sword Shrine) or anything like OoT 3D got.

So if Nintendo wants to get my attention with this remake of TWW, they need to make several improvements on it.

First off, make sailing less boring somehow. I got sick of hearing the Great Sea theme so much and King of Red Lions moves kind of slow.

Second, make the islands bigger. All of them. Except maybe Outset Island. That one was fine.

Third, make the game harder. A lot harder. It was WAY too damn easy. And I'm not exactly an expert gamer (though I have gotten quite good at Skyward Sword. I think I'm almost ready to try Hero Mode). But this game was so god awfully easy that I only ever got stuck once and sometimes I didn't even know what the hell I was doing and I still didn't die. The monsters were way too easy to beat.

Fourth, spice up the dungeons. They were too boring and again, too easy. And sometimes the Wind Temple got plain annoying, though that really couldn't be helped.

And speaking of dungeons, the most important thing of all: ADD THAT GOD DANG NAYRU'S PEARL DUNGEON THAT WAS CUT FROM THE ORIGINAL GAME. This is a fine opportunity to fix that big error. This game had too few dungeons, imo (And yes, as much as I loved Minish Cap, I also wish it had more dungeons). Another sage dungeon, perhaps for a sage of Sky, wouldn't hurt either.

It also would be nice to see more of Hyrule below the sea. The plot of the game is fine, and I like the graphics. I also like collecting Treasure Charts and other charts. It just needs more spicing up really.

Now, onto Zelda Wii U. Nintendo Direct said they wanted to rethink the concept of dungeons in order and playing by yourself. They hinted that this game could have multiplayer and be less linear. Does this mean we could see a Four Sword Zelda where you can do the dungeons in an order you choose? If so, take my money, Nintendo! I love Four Sword Zelda! :D

I've always wanted to see Vaati and the four Links in 3D! And if Nintendo could figure out a way to have either four Wii U game pads or two game pads plus two 3DS systems, a Four Sword Zelda on the Wii U would be amazing. And if they added Shadow Battle mode or from Four Swords Adventures or something similar, then we could use WiFi to play with up to three other people from around the world!

So, what are you guys' thoughts?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was kinda bright. Also, I'm probably going to pick this remake up anyway, despite my hate for the game. I remember now that my mom liked TWW when she played it, and as I said, I did enjoy collecting every single chart.

Hate is a strong word. The sailing is the weakest part of the game and the islands scattered about ARE very small, but the visuals, the music, the characters, and the story were all top notch for the series. The dungeon design also brought in a whole lot of new and different tools to use, with no "fluff" items gathering dust in the inventory. Wind Waker could use some improvements and some removal of the padding mid-game for some meatier content but it is an excellent game.

And yes, the combat was for the most part easy, but so is OoT/MM/TP. I'm sure Skyward Sword would have been easier if it had really been 1-to-1 directional slashes to the controller instead of some suspect alignment to 8 directions. However, Ganon in WW is pretty tough, plus it introduced the Pit of Trials for the series.

Oh, and the faces look weird without the cel-shading, as the complete lack of facial features except the nose on the model (instead of just textures) is strange. Prehaps make the eyes slightly off the surface?

Edited by deuxhero

Hate is a strong word. The sailing is the weakest part of the game and the islands scattered about ARE very small, but the visuals, the music, the characters, and the story were all top notch for the series. The dungeon design also brought in a whole lot of new and different tools to use, with no "fluff" items gathering dust in the inventory. Wind Waker could use some improvements and some removal of the padding mid-game for some meatier content but it is an excellent game.

And yes, the combat was for the most part easy, but so is OoT/MM/TP. I'm sure Skyward Sword would have been easier if it had really been 1-to-1 directional slashes to the controller instead of some suspect alignment to 8 directions. However, Ganon in WW is pretty tough, plus it introduced the Pit of Trials for the series.

I thought the dungeon designs were boring has hell. Even MM's dungeons were better and I didn't like them much either aside from Stone Tower Temple (which was awesome and pure genius).

Also, I didn't find OoT, MM, or TP to be nearly as easy as TWW. The other three had a lot more challenge in several areas.

Correct me if wrong, you said wind waker was the worst game you ever played before? I am going to set aside our massive difference in opinion and take a wild guess that you may not have played very many bad games.

I'm patient enough with Zelda that I can wait until I see exactly what it is they intend to offer here. It'd be nice to see some more playing around with the basic Hero of Time premise, though. When Zelda goes off the rails a bit, the results are at least usually pretty interesting.

Correct me if wrong, you said wind waker was the worst game you ever played before? I am going to set aside our massive difference in opinion and take a wild guess that you may not have played very many bad games.

Well, now that I think about it, TWW is only the worst I've played all the way through. The buttload of SNES games I didn't like were all worse. They belonged to my stepbrothers anyway. I plan to sell them.

Good, my Gamecube memory card corrupted and now I can't play the original unless I don't save. This should suffice until the announcement of the original Wii U title.

I've always wanted to see Vaati and the four Links in 3D! And if Nintendo could figure out a way to have either four Wii U game pads or two game pads plus two 3DS systems, a Four Sword Zelda on the Wii U would be amazing. And if they added Shadow Battle mode or from Four Swords Adventures or something similar, then we could use WiFi to play with up to three other people from around the world!

I'd rather not have a Four Sword game as a main console game seeing as that style of gameplay would work much better for 3DS. Vaati also tends to be at his weakest in character during Four Swords and FSA. I'd prefer if they brought back a different villain and explored their concept more in depth (something they likely won't do, but a gamer can dream).

Edited by Duels at Dawn

Yeah. That's almost as appalling to me as FFVIII being one's most hated game. >__>

Anyways, I saw the trailer for WWHD. I honestly think it looks nice. The removal of the cel-shading and increase in saturation might look pretty nice. It's in start contrast to all the brown and gloom often seen out of realism and hate for the very first titles that came out this generation years ago. Nice to get a change of pace.

I'd rather not have a Four Sword game as a main console game seeing as that style of gameplay would work much better for 3DS. Vaati also tends to be at his weakest in character during Four Swords and FSA. I'd prefer if they brought back a different villain and explored their concept more in depth (something they likely won't do, but a gamer can dream).

The Four Sword games had the same art style as TWW. And we're getting a TWW remake on the Wii U. I don't see why a 3D Four Sword game can't use the same style it's using now.

And yes, Vaati was kind of a joke in FSA compared to TMC, where he was badass and awesome, but that doesn't mean they can't make him badass and awesome again.

Edited by Anacybele

Gameplay Style, not art style. 2D Zelda versus 3D Zelda.

Oh. Well, in that case, Four Sword would be going 3D no matter what. The 3DS is all about 3D while the Wii U is about HD, and no game on it has been in 2D yet.

I loved the Wind Waker dispite some of its flaws. I just hope that they ditch the triforce collecting bit and replace it with the two scrapped dungeons.

As for the difficulty, well its not the hardest Zelda game, but it can at least boast about being harder then twilight princess.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Triforce Shard quest. I liked it, but it could use improvement too. Like doing more to get each shard. They don't necessarily all have to be in dungeons (as much as I'd like that, a bunch of other fans wouldn't), but mini dungeons would be nice.

Also, TP was WAY harder, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

Zelda U: There could be optional online co-op (like Borderlands) with multiple Links explained away by either the Four Sword or cross-dimension travel (like FE Awakening and Dragon Quest IX); alternatively, other players could appear in your game as Hyrule guards sent by Zelda to help Link, or there could be a group of sidekick characters with their own sets of attacks and abilities- maybe a Goron, a Zora and a Scrub.

Wind Waker: We should be able to use the Gamepad's motion controls for the bow and hookshot like in OoT3D, the touchscreen will make the ever-annoying item menu and map much better, and the Tingle Tuner could be used by a second player on the GP while the main player uses the Pro Controller, or it could be used on a 3DS.

Hey, imagine waving a Wii Remote around to conduct with the Wind Waker baton.

As for my opinion on the Triforce of Courage quest, it's the only horrible part of an otherwise fun game, and it's the sole reason I've only played through TWW once. Searching for treasure in the ocean should not be a significant part of any Zelda game. It's boring.

My only issue with Wind Waker is it's way too easy, even easier than Twilight Princess.

As for the true Zelda Wii U, I wouldn't mind a co-op multiplayer, but I want to explore the open world too. If they have a separate campaign like in Portal 2, that'd be good too, or if you could splitscreen and each explore the world map. I'm fine with doing dungeons in different orders, as long as they can fit that in with the story. Maybe you get 3-4 dungeons to do in the beginning, and then another one or two sets of dungeons after those are completed, and then a final dungeon like Ganon's Tower, Hyrule Castle, etc.

BRING BACK ZORA'S, HAMMER, FIRE ROD, GORON'S, AND THE STEREO-TYPICAL CANADIANS FROM THE DS GAMES!

Searching for treasure in the ocean should not be a significant part of any Zelda game. It's boring.

Whaaaaat?! Treasure hunting was the one part of TWW I DID enjoy. And do you realize how much junk one could find at the bottom of a lake or pond? I'd be surprised if I couldn't find any treasure hidden in the water. Heck, you can do this in MM too with Zora Link. Or the Water Dragon's Scale in SS. And the Zora Armor in TP. And the Zora Tunic in OoT. And the Flippers in ALttP and TMC. Hell, the four Links in FSA could even find Force Gems under water!

The seas hide many, many things. It should be no different in games, including Zelda.

Edited by Anacybele

Whaaaaat?! Treasure hunting was the one part of TWW I DID enjoy. And do you realize how much junk one could find at the bottom of a lake or pond? I'd be surprised if I couldn't find any treasure hidden in the water. Heck, you can do this in MM too with Zora Link. Or the Water Dragon's Scale in SS. And the Zora Armor in TP. And the Zora Tunic in OoT. And the Flippers in ALttP and TMC. Hell, the four Links in FSA could even find Force Gems under water!

The seas hide many, many things. It should be no different in games, including Zelda.

I've always hated water in every Zelda game. Every water dungeon before Ancient Cistern was my mortal enemy.

I've always hated water in every Zelda game. Every water dungeon before Ancient Cistern was my mortal enemy.

I liked the water dungeons, even the Great Bay Temple was kinda interesting. Yeah, they got challenging at times, but I really liked them otherwise. My favorite dungeons were always either fire or desert based though.

Oh. Well, in that case, Four Sword would be going 3D no matter what. The 3DS is all about 3D while the Wii U is about HD, and no game on it has been in 2D yet.

I mean that bringing four players together has always worked more effectively and been more convenient on a handheld system. FSA's double screen system is perfect for the 3DS. And would you seriously spend hundreds of dollars on three more controllers just to recreate the same effect on the Wii U?

I mean that bringing four players together has always worked more effectively and been more convenient on a handheld system. FSA's double screen system is perfect for the 3DS. And would you seriously spend hundreds of dollars on three more controllers just to recreate the same effect on the Wii U?

The fact that the Wii U uses both a TV screen and a screen on the controller works too. And if the Wii U has to stick with only being able to support up to two Gamepads, I don't see why two 3DSs can't be connected as two more controllers. Your friends could bring their own gamepads and 3DSs as well.

The fact that the Wii U uses both a TV screen and a screen on the controller works too. And if the Wii U has to stick with only being able to support up to two Gamepads, I don't see why two 3DSs can't be connected as two more controllers. Your friends could bring their own gamepads and 3DSs as well.

I'll concede your point, though it would be more convenient for the other players to be able to play the game whenever they wanted on their 3DS system rather than have to wait until they get to their friend's house to use their Wii U.

Either way, I am quite excited for Wind Waker.

Edited by Duels at Dawn