The Lunatic Club

Shinori

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just beat Lunatic with male Avatar. I told myself I wouldn't grind but the temptation was too much with all that reclassing and I ended up with a max stats Hero Donnel by Chapter 12. Got to Ch. 17 and kept trying to use all the children characters but it was too much effort and I was dying to start Lunatic+ so I just had Donnel destroy the rest of the game. It was quite funny, really, even on Lunatic Hero Donny soloed all of the Chapters up to the final, during which he ran around killing healers while his kid Yarne (also a maxed hero) fought Grima one-on-one with a crit forged Hector's Axe. The DLC, even the regular ones like Champions of Yore, really is broken between the exp, gold (the amount of gold from even one runthrough of golden gaffe is ridiculous), and the random equipment from the village is huge (picking up something like a Cellica's Gale, Brave Sword or Aversa's Night can break the game, especially with Armsthrift). That brings me to my next point: Heroes are a lifesaver. Sol and Armsthrift is the best combo for 10/5 skills by far especially on Lunatic, and these are OP on a character with high skill (which heroes have naturally) and luck, respectively.

So I totally broke the challenge of Lunatic without realizing it, simply because of thee temptation of reclassing. I seriously recommend hardcore players limit themselves to none or at most 1 playthrough of each dlc before postgame so they don't have the same problem I did. I am going to start a Lunatic+ playthrough with no DLC, spotpass bonuses/characters/items (for obvious reasons; being able to buy brave weapons early is too powerful, also DLC marth is unfair because Aptitude with actually good bases), skirmishes and am seriously thinking about banning event tiles and/or overworld merchants because the elements of chance in these could potentially be gamebreaking. I didn't need to do this, the challenge wasn't particularly overwhelming on Lunatic (I beat FE12 Lunatic and am 3 chapters of finishing my FE12 Lunatic Reverse playthrough which I put on hold because of Awakening, so I think I can handle the challenge that Lunatic+ will present me).

Anyway, I am posting in this topic not only to share my views on Lunatic but also to ask about Lunatic+. How many people have successfully completed it without grinding? It doesn't seem like too many. I am particularly interested in NA players so I can see how many people are "ahead" of me lol. I can't find any recorded playthroughs or walkthroughs and I don't see too much talk about Lunatic+ in this topic, so I am wondering if it warrants a new topic, because this topic seems like it was helpful and useful.

Edited by starfirelord

I'm not high tier material.

I don't know if I even have the nerve to take on Lunatic+ at the moment.

I'm just freaking happy I have the option enabled and have at least two backups saves on my Dropbox to make sure I never lose the option if I ever gather the courage to get past the Prologue.

LunaticPlusClassic.png

Well, I caved in and abused the golden gaffe until I could reclass Donnel into a mercenary. Beating Lunatic Casual has made Lunatic Classic a bit easier.

Yeah, I used the DLC to reclass him and thought "No harm done, right" but I didn't realize just how good he was. He is easily good enough to be used immediately after reclassing and will consistently gain almost all stats on every level up. After reclassing, even normal use in ingame chapters is enough to turn Donnel into a powerhouse that outclasses the rest of the game if you keep using him, even if he never sees another DLC mission after reclassing to merc.

If you're going to grind, go for a full team, because with only a few pairs, you're risking having less offensive power: each pair can only attack one enemy, so if you have 3 pairs, you can attack 3 enemies on your turn, versus say, 6 enemies with 6 individual units. If you're not going to grind, you may be forced to eventually cut down on units and try to focus experience on certain units, though it's still going to be really hard, because IMO 75% of chapters are significantly harder than the chapter before (so while your units get stronger, the enemies get an equal amount stronger, if not stronger than your guys got stronger, if that makes sense >_>')

I agree with Burning Gravity. Since I played nothing outside of Paralogues and mandatory story chapters, I would typically field five capable combat units (plus five support partners, none of whom could actually fight well), three staff users, and a dedicated Rally Rainbow spammer in Morgan. If you're using DLC, you may as well take the time to train a larger team.

Edited by Redwall

Beat lunatic classic with grinding. Currently doing lunatic+ classic with grinding and a parallel lunatic casual without grinding.

I beat the game using nah and morgan (nah's child), and it was really easy with all the grinding. I died maybe once or twice from chapter 13 to the end of the game, and that was just putting nah and morgan out in the middle of the map and skipping the enemy turn.

Chapters 1 through 4 were RNG hell though, moreso on lunatic+.

I beat Lunatic Classic about five and a half hours ago. I went through the majority of the second half of the game with just a Lucina/Chrom pair. A little funny how I put my Hard mode file on the back burner while I played Lunatic, but I'm working on that right now. Getting prepared for Lunatic+ Classic!

I'm not high tier material.

I don't know if I even have the nerve to take on Lunatic+ at the moment.

I'm just freaking happy I have the option enabled and have at least two backups saves on my Dropbox to make sure I never lose the option if I ever gather the courage to get past the Prologue.

LunaticPlusClassic.png

I can't wait to finally brag that I'm a "Fire Emblem master." XD

The challenge enthralls me.

Regarding chapter 2, I found that if you can get Fred to have 16 def with about 12 speed, you can place him in that square that juts out when you highlight the mercenary on the right's attack range equipped with a silver lance, draw all the aggro and still survive. Chrom paired with him was level 2/3 (I can't remember off the top of my head atm). This was through 3 resets of trial data where I was figuring out how to get everyone over to the right side safely since the mercenary will still be alive. I decided to equip silver lance so I would deal enough damage to the mercenary so that when he aggroes on whichever unit is at that bottom square at the edge of where miriel can move to pair up they will survive the first hit and be able to kill the mercenary without letting him double. This was basically the strategy for the chapter I used through my Lunatic run as well, but that was easier since there wasn't all that Luna+ or Hawkeye+ to deal with.

I'm currently on chapter 3 and seeing 7 units on the bottom wave with counter and the knight and soldier with aegis+ or pavise+ just made me turn off the game for the day.

I've just arrived at chapter 5 of Lunatic. This mode is so frustrating, and yet so great. I'm playing much better than I usually do. It's irritating that you don't really get a lot of choices when it comes to which units to deploy (Virion is useless other than Ch. 1 and 2 chipping, Vaike is too slow, Sully procced no durability at lv. 3 and is now OHKO'd by most enemies). My strategy for Chapter 2 was to run over to the left side and hide behind the mountain (turtling to the right of it with Fred, Chrom and Avatar). It's certainly not fast and it took me a lot of tries, but you don't really need to get lucky so much as you need exactly the right pair-ups on every turn. The AI seems to be different, I noticed, in P1- the enemies are in clusters of 2 or 3 after the first wave rather than a few big waves charging you all at once. Presumably this is so it's possible to give Donny a level, but I just trained Lon'qu and Kellam on them instead and let Donny die. Dat 7 Spd Kellam :3

I was lucky enough to pick up a Superior Lance (aka half a Silver Lance), and I'm still going to run out soon =/

Possible run titles: SUPPORTS!!!; What are turn counts?

Edited by Recondite

How'd you get past chapter 3 though, it was already almost impossible for me in Lunatic?

Chapter 3 wasn't nearly as bad as Chapter 2.

Move Chrom to Kellam, recruit him. Double with Kellam. Move back, give Frederick the Javelin to be able to counter attack the archers.

Then rush to the left before the guys on the right catch up with you.

Edited by shadowofchaos

How'd you get past chapter 3 though, it was already almost impossible for me in Lunatic?

I'm pretty sure this isn't super optimal but I have Chrom talk to Kellam, Pair Up in the same action, Kellam moves back and trades Javelin to Frederick. This lets Frederick counter the Archers on Enemy Phase to the left and wipe them all out (with backup from MU or Chrom if you let them get kills which you should)

From there you have more than enough time to prep for the guys coming from the right and the only unfun part after that is "Will Frederick get hit by the Hammer up top"

Edit: ahhhh ninja'd

Edited by PKLucas531

I just beat chapter 3 on Lunatic+, lets just say getting def on Fred is really crucial, not as much for speed since doubling when a lot of the enemies have counter will pretty much a dead Fred (12 speed was what I had for Fred while doing this, pair with Chrom when I wanted doubles). Also bring only a few units so that you can hide everyone on the stairs with Fred manning the attack zone equipped with a javelin for getting rid of the archer when the right side catches up to you. After that it was a lot of turtling with Lissa safely able to heal with archer dead. I found with high def on Fred pairing him up with Kellam led to pretty much most of the opposition from the top doing 0s and 4s. The archers had counter so I just equipped javelin for taking them out when they attack me while slowly retreating backwards since all the units had pass so Lissa wasn't free to heal behind Fred, although it wasn't needed since Fred pretty much tanked everyone fine. The boss pretty much did 0 damage as well, but had counter and sadly hammer was not able to one shot her so I had to wittle her down with javelin + iron lance.

Of course this isn't the most efficient strategy since it relies on using Fred a lot and getting some good level ups with def included. Additionally if every single enemy decided to have Hawkeye+ and Luna+ this would've went down the drain as well. But I found it was helpful for excessive counters where they do low damage and you just equip a weapon that wouldn't make you kill yourself when retaliating.

Just sharing my two cents to maybe spark some ideas for other people.

I hope it's okay to ask this here, but I'm currently on Chapter 6 on my Lunatic file and I'm starting to love this mode. It's not as challenging as I feared and it's fun once I actually use this thing called my brain. Anyways I have noticed that MUxLissa seems more probable than SojiroxSumia. (and Lon'quxPanne over Lon'quxCherche sadly) To cut things short, pairings won't matter too much in Postgame so I am assuming these pairings are what I should stick with if I plan to beat this mode without DLC grinding, right?

I hope it's okay to ask this here, but I'm currently on Chapter 6 on my Lunatic file and I'm starting to love this mode. It's not as challenging as I feared and it's fun once I actually use this thing called my brain. Anyways I have noticed that MUxLissa seems more probable than SojiroxSumia. (and Lon'quxPanne over Lon'quxCherche sadly) To cut things short, pairings won't matter too much in Postgame so I am assuming these pairings are what I should stick with if I plan to beat this mode without DLC grinding, right?

I don't really think it matters who you pair the units up with.

Virion can be great; it really depends. He mainly stands out on Lunatic+ for bypassing half the added skills, but avoiding counters and hitting fliers is still enough to be pretty great on Lunatic.

As for pairings, I only ever married Chrom on my first regular Lunatic run, so that's how much that matters I guess. The Pair Up option is what you live on, but the actual marriages aren't too big of a deal.

I'm pretty sure this isn't super optimal but I have Chrom talk to Kellam, Pair Up in the same action, Kellam moves back and trades Javelin to Frederick. This lets Frederick counter the Archers on Enemy Phase to the left and wipe them all out (with backup from MU or Chrom if you let them get kills which you should)

From there you have more than enough time to prep for the guys coming from the right and the only unfun part after that is "Will Frederick get hit by the Hammer up top"

Edit: ahhhh ninja'd

>Logs in, checks thread

>Sees question about chapter 3

>2 other responses detailing exactly what I did

Killing all the left units was what prevented me from deploying Virion- I needed Miriel to boost Avatar's damage to the Knight, then get transferred to Lissa and kill it. Using Lissa to attack is almost as fun as tanking with her (I take all day and heal every time I possibly can).

That Hammer guy is just a dick move. What are you supposed to do besides give Fred a sword and pray?