Shiida's name

Jotari

So I'm just casually wondering where Shiida's name comes from. Many characters with strange names in Fire Emblem are based on some mythology or history, is Shiida the same or is it just a random name? And how did the Americans get Cadea from it?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caeda is using the Cae as a "See" sound, much like in Caesar. It's actually not that far off from Shiida at all, despite appearances. As far as I know neither name has any particular significance.

I am not sure. I really think it's just a made-up name made to sound real-ish.

Personally, I think something like Shieda would've been a better translation than either of the official ones: Caeda has a pretty counterintuitive pronunciation and Shiida just looks odd.

If Shiida is based on anything English, I would say it's "Cedar." As far as Anglicizing it goes, you could get Sheed, Seed, Shid, or Sid for the first syllable and duh or der for the second syllable.

Edited by Rewjeo

Where I was going with Shieda was that it's a homophone of Shiida and is also similar to the existing name Sheila, although for that comparison spelling it Sheida would be better.

Mostly I was just trying to come up with something that looks and sounds like a reasonably ordinary (read; not overly weird and bizarre) name to a Western audience, while still being fairly true to the Japanese name.

Edited by Starlight36

See, I pronounce Caesar the classical Latin way with a hard C and ae as a dipthong (5 years of classical Latin does that to you, I have a hard time with soft Cs in general unless they're really common words of non-Latin origins), so Caeda really throws me off. I don't mind using it to refer to her if someone else really prefers Caeda since i don't give much of a fuck about names, but I prefer to use Shiida if nobody else objects to it since that's more intuitive to me. But whatever.

Edited by Thor Odinson

What's the diphthong that goes with ae in Latin?

I suppose it's worth pointing out that, prior to SD, she was referred to as Sheeda in the fandom. Other than maybe Sheda, I would say that that's the "best" romanization unless you want to go for Cedar for whatever reason. Personally not seeing her as a Shidda or a Sheeder.

Edited by Rewjeo

Caeda is using the Cae as a "See" sound, much like in Caesar. It's actually not that far off from Shiida at all, despite appearances. As far as I know neither name has any particular significance.

The time it took me to realize I was pronouncing her name wrong made me feel stupid.

It's pronounced kinda like ai

So Caesar would be pronounced like Kaisar

. . .you just made the Yellow Skittle ten times more badass.

On-topic, I'm a sucker for the katakana; thus, I pronounce Caeda like how it's written in Japanese. She's also an exception, because her name's so darn weird-looking to my non-Latin-inducted eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

You do realize that the "ae" sound can also be pronounced like a long A, right? So it could just as easily be SAY-dah, which is how I pronounce it. Imo, SEE-da sounds totally stupid, as does Shiida.

It can be pronounced like that, but it isn't. It was translated as Shiida for a reason.

Who says? And I'm talking about the English name, not the Japanese one.

Long A sounds absolutely nothing like the original name, so it's much more reasonable to deduce the 'see' pronunciation. Also, there is a Caesar that shows up in this game, and we definitely don't call him 'Kay-zer'.

Who says? And I'm talking about the English name, not the Japanese one.

Oh Nooooo, it's not like we're talking about translating a game or anything.

Localization involves changes if necessary. Because not all names in ENGRISH Katakana work well in English. But in the case of pronunciation, most FE names are based off the katakana with slight changes, like this.

...whose idea was it to revive this name drama again?

Edited by shadowofchaos

I could care less if her name was Caeda, Sheeda, Shiida, or Poo-Poo Shitface.

My main gripe is that NoA and NoE couldn't play nice and agree on a single translation. I demand consistency, dammit!

Long A sounds absolutely nothing like the original name, so it's much more reasonable to deduce the 'see' pronunciation. Also, there is a Caesar that shows up in this game, and we definitely don't call him 'Kay-zer'.

Titania doesn't sound much like Tiamat. Chap isn't even close to Brom. Cordelia is completely different from Tiamo as well. Not every English name is close to the Japanese one.

Titania doesn't sound much like Tiamat. Chap isn't even close to Brom. Cordelia is completely different from Tiamo as well. Not every English name is close to the Japanese one.

You're using exceptions rather than majority.

So how many names in English are completely conforming to the Japanese rather than being completely changed compared to the number of completely new name changes?

Caeda is one of them.

You are starting to sound like General Banzai in the "Edited Thracia Script" thread.

And you're not even nitpicking "name changes". You're nitpicking at a pronunciation which basically SAY IT HOW THEY WANT. There is no "proper" pronunciation for the fandom because there is no voice clip. Now, I'd say following the katakana and just slightly changing it to "See" like in "Caesar" preserves the intent more than KAY-DAH.

Especially considering her name is "Shiida" in European versions of Shadow Dragon.

If you want to pronounce her name that way, that is your choice, but DO not try to argue the "proper" way to pronounce it while COMPLETELY DISREGARDING the original Japanese from the localization arguments. They changed those names because they weren't practical in English.

You're essentially not listening to what you don't want to hear. And it insults me as a translator that you're using the minority of completely new name changes as your basis for the first part of her name.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You're using exceptions rather than majority.

So how many names in English are completely conforming to the Japanese rather than being completely changed compared to the number of completely new name changes?

Caeda is one of them.

You are starting to sound like General Banzai in the "Edited Thracia Script" thread.

And you're not even nitpicking "name changes". You're nitpicking at a pronunciation which basically SAY IT HOW THEY WANT. There is no "proper" pronunciation for the fandom because there is no voice clip. Now, I'd say following the katakana and just slightly changing it to "See" like in "Caesar" preserves the intent more than KAY-DAH.

Especially considering her name is "Shiida" in European versions of Shadow Dragon.

If you want to pronounce her name that way, that is your choice, but DO not try to argue the "proper" way to pronounce it while COMPLETELY DISREGARDING the original Japanese from the localization arguments. They changed those names because they weren't practical in English.

You're essentially not listening to what you don't want to hear. And it insults me as a translator that you're using the minority of completely new name changes as your basis for the first part of her name.

Whoa, dude, chill out. You are totally overreacting here. I said that SAY-dah is one way it COULD be pronounced, not that it's the correct pronunciation. Geez.

The only correct pronunciation is obvious kay-duh.

Also, I know it's really hard to stay such in a localization thread, but chillax dudes. Caeda, of all things, isn't worth getting worked up over.

Caeda, of all things, isn't worth getting worked up over.

Yeah, I agree. All anger and rage should be directed to Navarre vs Nabarl instead!

I generally follow localized names and the most popular translations unless an official source changes it somehow. Even then, some names, like Sword of Seals, are too iconic for me to toss aside for other (and admittedly more sensible) interpretations.

Malicia, for example. I don't even know how you're supposed to say the other name.