Shiida's name

Jotari

Like Integrity said, we naturally pronounce Caeda the same way we would pronounce Caesar, with a hard k followed by an ai, as they are both Latin inspired.

lmao dude you (allegedly) live in america i have never heard an american refer to julius caesar as kai-zer. the kaiser is a german dude. everybody i have ever known (including me, noted linguistic snob) pronounces it see-zar. my point was me passive-aggressively saying that since we pronounce caesar, a latin thing, see-zar, then it follows that logically if we recognize caeda as latin-inspired we would pronounce it to pattern, see-da.

way to entirely invert my point to use it to support you i guess? lol

EDIT3: BRIDE OF EDIT: for clarity i pronounce caeda kay-da

EDIT:

"route",

it's rowt like the other word "rout" and if you say it's "root" i will fight you

EDIT2: oh fuck i just realized that i naturally say root sometimes

Edited by Integrity

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latinist here. While classical latin pronunciation of cae is indeed kai, the localisation is made by a bunch of Americans who likely haven't had training in classical latin and just used whatever they knew, and as much as I like to chew English out about fucking up Latin I'm not going to blame it on the localisers. I don't like the localisation personally, but it's unreasonable to claim to not be able to see how other people pronounces it with the soft c because English as a language altogether dun goofed somewhere down the line.

tl;dr english pronunciations suck

what about ka-eh-da im studying italian rn

Edited by Thor Odinson

It's clear in that it obviously borrows from Latin influence [...]

Nonsense. "Caeda" is the made-up name of a fake person. This seems like an important distinction to make; we're not talking about a thing that's been around for centuries, here.

lmao dude you (allegedly) live in america i have never heard an american refer to julius caesar as kai-zer.

This is what blows my mind. If you are making up a name for an American audience, and you want a "k" sound, it's very easy to pull this off neatly. We have a special letter for it, even.

It's called a "K".

I feel like I should change my name to "Eentursceptre" to protest this topic.

it's rowt like the other word "rout" and if you say it's "root" i will fight you

It's for clarity. When I tell someone how to get to a particular place, pronunciation means that I'm not accidentally commanding them into battle.

scratch that, i propose tsai-eh-da

pinyin masterrace

girl, are you gonna go wade-giles on me?

anyway uh i apologize for going grossly off-topic, but i'm pretty sure no one has any insight regarding the original question in this thread.

lmao dude you (allegedly) live in america i have never heard an american refer to julius caesar as kai-zer. the kaiser is a german dude. everybody i have ever known (including me, noted linguistic snob) pronounces it see-zar. my point was me passive-aggressively saying that since we pronounce caesar, a latin thing, see-zar, then it follows that logically if we recognize caeda as latin-inspired we would pronounce it to pattern, see-da.

way to entirely invert my point to use it to support you i guess? lol

EDIT3: BRIDE OF EDIT: for clarity i pronounce caeda kay-da

EDIT:

I've never heard anyone pronounce it "kai-zer" either, but there's an obvious reason for that that I'll let you figure out :). (hint: learn Latin phonetics)

Everyone you have ever known is not a valid logical point :P I know some people who honestly I think they've only ever known a total of five people (among those how many talk about ancient Romans anyways lol)

Also, play Fallout: NV. Surprisingly to me, that blew the socks off many people when they first heard how Latin is actually pronounced. Latin is so dead in America it's ridic lmfao.

Anyway in my experience I've known plenty of people who were Latinists like Thor. Heck even people who greeted me with an "Ave" (and even pronounced the w) at toga parties. But I just admitted I've been to toga parties...

Don't worry, you don't come across as a linguistic snob to me :awesome:

TIL passive-aggressive = rude sarcasm. You can go full on aggressive with me, I've been wondering if you have something against me personally recently and it throws me off a bit @.@

BTW I knew, I was just wondering how you'd react if I repeatedly used your points to support my own. Psychological experiment :O pls don't hate

The final sentence of your first paragraph is not only illogical and contradictory, but in fact it's been the main point of several of my posts to date, indicating you clearly haven't been reading my posts hard enough :X but to repeat: In short, it does NOT follow logically that we assume the letters "cae" always sound like the phoneme "see." Let me ask you, do you pronounce "Caelin" "see-lin?" No? Then what are you getting at, please explain. You just contradicted yourself by proposing that *logically* everyone should read Caeda and pronounce it "see-da" and then go on to say you pronounce it "kay-da." My point is that it is precisely this oddball spelling that is causing such needless disparity.

Trying a bit harder to understand where you're coming from, yes since Caeda looks Latin and (most of us) we pronounce Caesar the way we do, it *seems* logical that we copy and paste that pronunciation. But I've gone over exactly this in my previous posts and I'm just repeating myself now, so I beg you to reread. Copy paste pronunciation simply doesn't work in English. Charles and Charlene do not share the same ch sound, for example. Thus there's no law that Caesar and Cae___ should be said the same way either. What's even weirder is that some foreign names we change but some we actually try to pronounce the same as in the foreign language, like Louis.

(incidentally, this is actually something I'm unsure about but east coasters might be more familiar with, do we pronounce "Louis" "loo-ee" or "loo-is"? I mean there's Louis C.K. but then there's some who keep the s, irdk)

"see-lin" :Kappa: apparently this is the intended popular pronunciation of Caelin according to the localization team :O

Latinist here. While classical latin pronunciation of cae is indeed kai, the localisation is made by a bunch of Americans who likely haven't had training in classical latin and just used whatever they knew, and as much as I like to chew English out about fucking up Latin I'm not going to blame it on the localisers. I don't like the localisation personally, but it's unreasonable to claim to not be able to see how other people pronounces it with the soft c because English as a language altogether dun goofed somewhere down the line.

tl;dr english pronunciations suck

what about ka-eh-da im studying italian rn

See this is exactly what I figured and I don't know what the debate is over this obvious conclusion, Americans + Latin = fcked up, don't need to go far to find many examples of this. It's because we are the lingua franca right now so who gives a f lel

No but seriously our entire language is a bastard tongue that might as well not even have any rules whatsoever, just like real actual Latin, in fact there's a quote that I'm too lazy to bring up right now that came from a Latin pedant, basically complaining about Old French being a barbaric bastard tongue that is killing Latin (back in the day) and language and therefore culture as they knew it. English is even more barbaric in that it's a Norse language that adopted much of this bastard French. And yet there are French and English pedants everywhere trying to preserve their precious bastard language :awesome: (see: my old Philo teacher who said text and Internet were killing language, oh God... *facepalm* he was good at teaching philosophy tho)

english pronunciations do suck

Oh that strikethrough reminds me Italian Latin is a thing too and they pronounced "ce" the Italian way anyway.

Actually since Caesar = Cesare in Italian would they call Caeda "Chedda"? LOL now I don't even know anymore. Now Shiida sounds like a rapper.

I studied Italian for a while due to my heritage, but eventually succumbed to my Chinese heritage overlords.

Nonsense. "Caeda" is the made-up name of a fake person. This seems like an important distinction to make; we're not talking about a thing that's been around for centuries, here.

This is what blows my mind. If you are making up a name for an American audience, and you want a "k" sound, it's very easy to pull this off neatly. We have a special letter for it, even.

It's called a "K".

I feel like I should change my name to "Eentursceptre" to protest this topic.

It's for clarity. When I tell someone how to get to a particular place, pronunciation means that I'm not accidentally commanding them into battle.

Caeda is a made up name, which is why we don't have anything to go on really. Seriously, is it even Latin-influenced? o.o

hmhm. Your point seems to be we'd use a K in place of a C to produce a "k" sound. Mmm, alright. If you are making up a name for an American audience and you want a "k" sound, you use a K.

And if you are making up a name for an American audience and want an "s" sound, you use an S. Such is your proposition.

So, according to you (pulling it off neatly, as you put it), why didn't they use an S and not a C? Isn't that exactly what I'm saying? Are you not directly supporting my point right now? :)

As you say, very easy to pull off neatly.

But they didn't. For some reason, we got a C. Hoho. A letter that has two (more if you rack your brain hard enough) different sounds in the English language. And as you agreed, not a very neat letter. Hence why there is confusion and hence my entire spiel.

To be fair, how does one know you're not talking about a root? A lot of words do sound the same, that is a fair observation. True in fact in every language I've studied.

scratch that, i propose tsai-eh-da

pinyin masterrace

bow to Chinese overlords

girl, are you gonna go wade-giles on me?

anyway uh i apologize for going grossly off-topic, but i'm pretty sure no one has any insight regarding the original question in this thread.

^ this guy tho

Can't be having no wade-giles and pinyin confusion and start a whole other topic.

eventually everyone learns chinese and the end. 晚安.

Edited by That Person's Name

(incidentally, this is actually something I'm unsure about but east coasters might be more familiar with, do we pronounce "Louis" "loo-ee" or "loo-is"? I mean there's Louis C.K. but then there's some who keep the s, irdk)

An entry from the Answering Your Own Questions department. Obviously the pronunciation depends on the person using the name, since names are personal things.

Seriously, is it even Latin-influenced? o.o

Of course it is, because "Latin-influenced" is a term so vague that it encompasses f'n everything.

So, according to you (pulling it off neatly, as you put it), why didn't they use an S and not a C? Isn't that exactly what I'm saying? Are you not directly supporting my point right now? :)

I realize that this makes me a rebel around here, but I generally refrain from speculating about intentions in the absence of evidence. The fact of the matter is that there was a way to unambiguously have a specific pronunciation of the name of the game's signature Pegahax Knight, but they didn't avail themselves of the opportunity. That's all that you can really conclude.

To be fair, how does one know you're not talking about a root?

I make certain to only associate with people that hate nature and are bad at math.

Well I mean I went into using wade-giles to illustrate how the pinyin ca e da would be pronounced because americans can't pronounce pinyin for shit either

there's a reason why I don't use my legal name and that's because nobody can pronounce it why bother

Anyway more on topic while I'm more or less irked as every other latinist that english fucked up adopting caesar itself, what's done is done and if it's pronounced see in english even in just one specific case (are there other english words that start with cae and doesn't have to do with caesar?) then it's not unreasonable to use it here

Still looks weird as fuck but eh~

Not really a huge deal, IS had made far bigger changes in names whether caeda is see-da or kai-da or whatever other language pronunciations we can come up with

Edited by Thor Odinson

(are there other english words that start with cae and doesn't have to do with caesar?)

My dictionary gives me caesura (pronounced like in sill) and caecum (pronounced the same way as Caesar, like in seize). Both have Latin origins distinct from Caesar.

The irony is the American spelling often removes the a from the ae blend, but in this case, they added an a.

Stuff

*Looks at your username*... HOW DO YOU KNOW?

Back to topic, I acctually prefer the european translation over the US, simply because it looks, for the most part, better, like Shiida instead of Caeda, or Medon instead of Macedon, Doluna rather than Dolhr... Ok, the last one acctually looks the most pleasing to me and is why I prefer it.

Oh wow, this necro totally happened. I'm somewhat surprised no one brought up the Ghoti example (Ghoti is a word that sounds identical to fish in order to show how messed up English spelling is). I also feel like pointing out that however Ceaser was originally pronouncded is irrelevant. The spelling while odd is now fully recognizable. I think we can logically conclude that the Shiida sound is what they were going for when thet made Caeda. If they wanted to actually change the name outright then some variation Kaida or Cayda would have been used. Why they went with Caeda though instead of a more logical Shiida/Sheeda is beyond me though. Maybe they were trying to sound smart and it backfired hugely. Or maybe they were just messing with us so we'd have discussions like this.

corollary: no one knows how "sacae" is pronounced either.

and i shall promulgate another pronunciation of "caeda" to further muddy the waters: sah-ee-da

It should be Saka , which is what it is in the Japanese version, but it scans like Sa-kai.

The Saka are also a nomadic Scythian people scattered throughout Iran and parts of Central Asia.

Yet everyone seems to think Rath, Lyn, etc. al are meant to be Native American analogues.

Edited by Siuloir

Guys this is not necro

Necroposting (post in a very old topic) is forbidden.

• If a topic has not been posted in for 1 month AND has fallen outside the first page of a board, any posts made in that topic will be considered necroposting.

See Nintendo DS Era has only first page so there is no necroposting

On topic: Int sys needs a recording how every character name is pronounced

It should be Saka , which is what it is in the Japanese version, but it scans like Sa-kai.

The Saka are also a nomadic Scythian people scattered throughout Iran and parts of Central Asia.

Yet everyone seems to think Rath, Lyn, etc. al are meant to be Native American analogues.

That's not exclusive to Fire Emblem. Anytime there's something even vaguely nomadic or tribal in nature, people always seen to assume it is a native american analogue.

I always thought they were meant to be references to the Mongols or Huns.

• 4 years later...

Okay, I felt the need to respond to this because some quick research combined with a hunch gives me a theory on the origins of her name.

THEORY- Caeda is actually a corruption of the Irish/Gaelic word Sidhe, which, besides being a name for girls in that tongue, also describes either a supernatural race of mound people, or fairies. And it is pronounced SHE-duh.

Fire Emblem draws a lot from medieval Europe in it's design and execution, especially early on, and many of the other names in the early series are corrupted spellings of Gaelic/Irish names. Here's a list, with the proper spellings in parentheses, where needed -

Tailtiu (Taillte)

Deirdre

Finn

Othin (Oisin)

Kiran (Kieran)

Clair (Clare)- also French.

Adean (Etain)

Diarmud (Diarmaid)

Dagda

Frederick

Gwendolyn

Vanessa- 'butterfly'

Fodla- the name of the new continent in 3 houses. A woman's name, meaning 'sovereignty'.

Grahnye- (Grania)

Leon- (Leon) also Spanish.

Lugh

Midir

Morgan

Nailah (Nyla)- a feminine form of Neil/Niall.

Serra (Sarah) also Hebrew.

Shannan/Shanna (Shannon)

Sheena (Sine)

Sully

That's just a small list, I left a few out bc tired of typing. The Japanese romanized is Shiida, which leads me to believe that because of the European medieval high fantasy nature of the game, and the origins of the Irish name, that this is what the devs intended. Feel free to disagree, but a white girl on a horse named Sidhe who is princess of a small island seems headcanon to me. Have a nice day, everyone.

24 minutes ago, PapaTalys said:

Okay, I felt the need to respond to this because some quick research combined with a hunch gives me a theory on the origins of her name.

THEORY- Caeda is actually a corruption of the Irish/Gaelic word Sidhe, which, besides being a name for girls in that tongue, also describes either a supernatural race of mound people, or fairies. And it is pronounced SHE-duh.

Fire Emblem draws a lot from medieval Europe in it's design and execution, especially early on, and many of the other names in the early series are corrupted spellings of Gaelic/Irish names. Here's a list, with the proper spellings in parentheses, where needed -

Tailtiu (Taillte)

Deirdre

Finn

Othin (Oisin)

Kiran (Kieran)

Clair (Clare)- also French.

Adean (Etain)

Diarmud (Diarmaid)

Dagda

Frederick

Gwendolyn

Vanessa- 'butterfly'

Fodla- the name of the new continent in 3 houses. A woman's name, meaning 'sovereignty'.

Grahnye- (Grania)

Leon- (Leon) also Spanish.

Lugh

Midir

Morgan

Nailah (Nyla)- a feminine form of Neil/Niall.

Serra (Sarah) also Hebrew.

Shannan/Shanna (Shannon)

Sheena (Sine)

Sully

That's just a small list, I left a few out bc tired of typing. The Japanese romanized is Shiida, which leads me to believe that because of the European medieval high fantasy nature of the game, and the origins of the Irish name, that this is what the devs intended. Feel free to disagree, but a white girl on a horse named Sidhe who is princess of a small island seems headcanon to me. Have a nice day, everyone.

As an Irish man I can confirm that Sidhe is pronounced "She". That D is completely silent.