FEIV (v0.a released)

BoxMulder

I like the new Valkyrie staff, it's very useful. Seems like it could be very overpowered. I have to say, you're a very skilled person in ASM hacking, graphics, and a bunch of other things. I'm very jealous.

Basically this in a nutshell. Everything looks fantastic!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a fantastic hack! FE4 is my favorite Fire Emblem game, and I'm glad it's getting a well-worked remake like this. Do you have any approximate release dates for the nearish future?

• 3 weeks later...

This game looks great. The sprites are fantastic. However, I'm a bit confused on the classes. Fe4 was had many classes like Duke Knight and Free knights and Mage fighters etc. Will they be implemented?

P.S Keep up the great work.

• 4 months later...

Hey there! Haven't updated this thread in a bit... well... I guess six months is a bit more than a bit. I've been preoccupied by many, many things. But don't worry, work has still been done, although at a snail's pace, on the hack. Here's a new video showcasing the things I've been working on in the break:

Let's go over the many things I've been cooking in the oven.

hTJBmUO.png

First off, what's the deal with Kruge? Who is he? International man of mystery? You'll have to wait if you want to learn the whole story behind him, although with a bit of work you might be able to figure some information out yourself. Let's just say... he could become the world's greatest dad. (But probably won't.)

jIujt6q.png

Next up are scrolls. Basically the magic equivalent of glass weapons, scrolls are pages torn from a high level magic tome, giving early access to powerful attacks early on. However, they differ from the tomes they're based off in various and notable ways: They cannot be repaired, as they disappear once they're used; furthermore, they're slightly weaker than their tome equivalent, not being usable at 2 range. Some of these items also require a hefty stat investment to be usable...

OIkpRWd.pngZrQvasW.png

Now we come to the meat of the update: Dancers. Dancers still follow the usual GBA rules, but they have an important skillset added to their repertoire: Sword Dance. If you haven't noticed in the video, whenever a dancer attacks, all units next to them are refreshed. Much more powerful than a regular dance, but you'll have to work around the Dancer's poor aptitudes if you want to make full use of it.

sBbEBZs.png6H1FJoX.png

Another aspect that's been worked on is how poison works in the game; Poison now has several debilitating effects on top of HP loss per turn. The most important change is that you are not able to recover HP by any means (items, skills, terrain) while you are poisoned. The second, less worrisome side effect is that poison also reduces all your battle stats by 3. Better chug those antitoxins while you can and sharpen your Restore staves! (Which incidentally, will be more available.) Of course, the one saving grace is that you can no longer die from poison damage, you'll simply be left at 1 HP. Oh the other hand, since certain enemies will happily carry poison weapons to injure you, perhaps you can take advantage of the situation with the help of a friendly thief...?

4HvgCeC.png

Finally, on progress. As you can guess from the video, I'm currently knee deep in Macbeth's chapter, working out some writing details and playtesting to finalize the gameplay. After that's all done, there will be three, that's right, count 'em, three more chapters before we hit the first milestone and can work on polishing things up for a release! Unfortunately, given the rate of work that probably won't happen in 2015. No, I'm not saying this so I can surprise you in April. Seriously. Or maybe I'm saying this to get your hopes up? Either way, I will be aiming to get another update ready before the four-one date, but circumstances will dictate if I can deliver on this promise; there are a few things behind the scenes that still need a lot of work and I will be occupied with other things.

Anyway, that's it for now. Although I guess this hasn't been a very festive update... and there still won't be a release for a while... so for those of you who enjoy Final Fantasy, have a little treat while you wait:

zDWWnnx.png9q1HYP0.png

A hack of Final Fantasy V Advance that changes a few things, and adds new content: The Hero job. As a Hero, you can draw out inner strength in the form of various heroic abilities, such as super strength and heat vision! Minor changes include an updated Brave Blade, insane Berserkers and Monks who can... bless their fists with holy might?!

Neat stuff! I love that dancer update, could put that to good use in my own hack. Also man, nice dancer sword animation, that looked pretty spiffy.

I'm downloading that roguelike right now. God knows I fucking love roguelikes.

EDit: Omg the tiled version looks fantastic. I'm already loving it '3'

Edited by Klokinator

hmm, this defiantly is a project to follow.

kruge would make the best hubby for levin

also are classes like the mage fighter gonna be available, or are other classes going to take there place?

and what about the replacement characters, they gonna still serve there same purpose, or are they gonna be reworked or something for other purposes? just wondering really.

Dropping by to answer some questions:

I'm going to be shuffling most of FE4's classes around, merging some (there's only one knight class who can use all physical weapons for example) and eliminating a few (Hunters are redundant.) Mage Fighters are still in (I have a very specific plan for them.)

Substitute children will have the same role, but I have some ideas to experiment with them to shake things up.

I guess that flame scroll would be good for killing Knights? 30 hit makes me recoil internally haha.

your hack seems cool, I'm impressed by how much you've managed to add to the engine. will definitely try it out when it is released.

Can we actually take advantage of poison? It's a pet-peeve of mine when strategy RPGs that don't give all the tools they enemy has (or Vise versa.

P.S. I would consider you a god if you make so that enemies could take advantage of dancing

• 1 month later...

My guess would be that it couldn't handle the sweet, sweet music I added in.

It should be fine unless you used your Wizardry to bend the track limit or changed to higher quality samples.