Lamia's FE4 stuff

Lamia

41 minutes ago, OliKad said:

Just like you two skill rings don't actually give you +10 Skill?

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

it's not too surprising that the translation team would have moved a bunch of stuff around, messing up some nightmare modules

also I never fooled around with the ring editor stat boosts, the thing about putting multiple stat boosts on one item is that the boosts don't stack so it's kind of overdoing it if you make a bunch of multiple-stat rings

Not exactly. The Ring Editor has a list of bonuses, with code from 0x00 to 0xFF. 0x01 to 0x07 gets all of the standard +5 to 1 stat rings. 0x08 gives Str, Def, and Mov all at once. (The old list says Str, Def only) Holding 0x03 (Str) and 0x08 at the same time does not grant +10 Str, but my idea was that rather than holy weapons, certain characters might get unsellable holy rings that grant multiple stats all at once, .

Also, removing the Naga patch did not change any of the ring code or modules. Neither module worked, both still gave a "dropdown list of elements" error, and 0x08 still gave 3 Move.

I mean it's not too big of a deal, I don't intend to change the shields or animations and I'm not concerned with having a Mag, Skl, Def, Mov ring but not a Mag, Skl, Mov ring. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a potentially important .txt or I got the wrong ROM.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, MondoGrass said:

Not exactly. The Ring Editor has a list of bonuses, with code from 0x00 to 0xFF. 0x01 to 0x07 gets all of the standard +5 to 1 stat rings. 0x08 gives Str, Def, and Mov all at once. (The old list says Str, Def only) Holding 0x03 (Str) and 0x08 at the same time does not grant +10 Str, but my idea was that rather than holy weapons, certain characters might get unsellable holy rings that grant multiple stats all at once, .

Also, removing the Naga patch did not change any of the ring code or modules. Neither module worked, both still gave a "dropdown list of elements" error, and 0x08 still gave 3 Move.

I mean it's not too big of a deal, I don't intend to change the shields or animations and I'm not concerned with having a Mag, Skl, Def, Mov ring but not a Mag, Skl, Mov ring. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a potentially important .txt or I got the wrong ROM.

the thing about ring stat bonuses is that the bytes were most likely never meant to be used to increase more than a single stat, so all other entries are likely jumbled up data belonging to something else, hence raising more than one stat at a time

oh and well I figured out the issue with those modules, there were just some textfiles missing in the folders, 'FE4 Character Numbers.txt' and 'FE4 Weapon List.txt' which are in other folders

I corrected my module pack but you can just copy them from other folders

25 minutes ago, hanhnn said:

I think he's asking for a Ring Bonuses txt file with full list of possible combination stats.

With all the range from 0x00 to 0xFF, a file with 256 lines instead of a file with just a few dozen of lines.

Yeah basically. There's only 7 stats to boost, so that's 2^7 = 128 possible combinations, but we still only have half of them available.

TYVM for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to add a new weapon? I understand that weapons can be modded to have any different attributes, so I could make a Fire tome behave as Dark Magic, and I know that the player inventory can be modded to replace one of the many iron swords with, say, a Yotsmungand. However, there are only so many slots for items. Modding the starting equipment of a character shows options from 0x01 (Iron Sword) to 0x8C (Circlet) plus 8D and 8E, which are unassigned, and FF, meaning no item. But if I were to give two units a Yotsmungand, I would either reassign another player inventory slot (like Seliph's second Hero Sword) to Yotsmungand, or I would have two units working off of the same kill count and durability on the Yotsmungand, as both tomes are in the same player inventory slot.

Editing Player Equipment.txt to include 0xEF and 0x90 gave a Fortify Staff and Iron Sword, like it said in Player Weapon Editor.nmm, but the module only goes down to 0x90. Adding 0x91 added an irreparable Broken Staff. Adding various other bits of code added swords, an irreparable Wind Tome, and a Shield Ring. No idea why or how to change that if Nightmare only goes to 0x90.

Long story short, can I add slots in Player Equipment to modify from 8F to FE and 00, meaning I could give the player more than 142 separate items to work with at a time?

And can I add specific items in Weapon List to modify from slots 8A to FE, meaning I could make new items without modifying the preexisting 138?

Edit - Can I add new classes beyond the existing 72?

Edited by MondoGrass
Just forgot to add something

On 12/26/2017 at 6:34 PM, MondoGrass said:

Is there a way to add a new weapon? I understand that weapons can be modded to have any different attributes, so I could make a Fire tome behave as Dark Magic, and I know that the player inventory can be modded to replace one of the many iron swords with, say, a Yotsmungand. However, there are only so many slots for items. Modding the starting equipment of a character shows options from 0x01 (Iron Sword) to 0x8C (Circlet) plus 8D and 8E, which are unassigned, and FF, meaning no item. But if I were to give two units a Yotsmungand, I would either reassign another player inventory slot (like Seliph's second Hero Sword) to Yotsmungand, or I would have two units working off of the same kill count and durability on the Yotsmungand, as both tomes are in the same player inventory slot.

Editing Player Equipment.txt to include 0xEF and 0x90 gave a Fortify Staff and Iron Sword, like it said in Player Weapon Editor.nmm, but the module only goes down to 0x90. Adding 0x91 added an irreparable Broken Staff. Adding various other bits of code added swords, an irreparable Wind Tome, and a Shield Ring. No idea why or how to change that if Nightmare only goes to 0x90.

Long story short, can I add slots in Player Equipment to modify from 8F to FE and 00, meaning I could give the player more than 142 separate items to work with at a time?

And can I add specific items in Weapon List to modify from slots 8A to FE, meaning I could make new items without modifying the preexisting 138?

Edit - Can I add new classes beyond the existing 72?

I don't know that the inventory list can be extended, but there are seriously a ton of items in the list, if you can't make room for something new I would suggest downsizing your plans or arranging the items more accordingly

FE4 Player Equipment.txt contains a mostly complete list of where each item is located so it is easier to arrange the inventory list as needed

also you can't just add more entries past the end of the pre-arranged modules, they have an end point for a reason; going further crosses into other data which can corrupt your save file and/or crash the game if you play with it

the class list can probably be extended, but classes have so much other data connected to them (names, battle animation data, map sprites, character classes, exp tables, the list goes on) that it is extremely inconvenient to do such a thing... like I said with items, downsize your plans and/or arrange the classes better, I was able to make room for tier 3 classes for my project with some extra class numbers to spare, you don't need to keep the original list

something to note though: I haven't found the data for weapon effectiveness yet, so be sure that armors, horses, and fliers stay on the same numbers if you replace them

Edited by Lamia

11 hours ago, Lamia said:

I don't know that the inventory list can be extended, but there are seriously a ton of items in the list, if you can't make room for something new I would suggest downsizing your plans or arranging the items more accordingly

FE4 Player Equipment.txt contains a mostly complete list of where each item is located so it is easier to arrange the inventory list as needed

also you can't just add more entries past the end of the pre-arranged modules, they have an end point for a reason; going further crosses into other data which can corrupt your save file and/or crash the game if you play with it

So the weapon/staff editors and the ring editor only go so far because the code for items just ends there? Makes sense. Honestly, I don't even know if I'll be exceeding the 138 unique item limit, I just wanted to see if it was possible.

On a more productive note, changing a weapon into a ring can be done. I can't find a way to change the top drop down on the weapon or ring editor to add more rings or remove weapons, but this way works too. You put in the hex code for the stat bonus (So finding all of those ring stat buff codes actually was worth something) and choose a skill from the list of weapon skills, but it ONLY works for ring skills, like Life or Steal. Or Bargain, apparently.

Is there any way to make a ring that grants Critical to all weapons of the holder? I've been thinking of making legendary rings in a hack along with or instead of legendary weapons, and a critical ring would be cool. Redundancy on the skill shouldn't be an issue; you can already hold a defense sword and shield ring or a thief sword and thief ring at the same time in vanilla.

Another side note, can an indestructible staff or tome be created? Broken weapons can just be given better stats, but broken staves and tomes cannot even be used or equipped. Rings cannot break, but also can't do anything to fight. The ring editor has an option to change it to a staff and select a staff effect, but that just glitches the menus and doesn't function as a staff. Durability isn't much of an issue in FE4, of course, but is it possible to ignore durability altogether on a tome or staff?

6 hours ago, MondoGrass said:

So the weapon/staff editors and the ring editor only go so far because the code for items just ends there? Makes sense. Honestly, I don't even know if I'll be exceeding the 138 unique item limit, I just wanted to see if it was possible.

On a more productive note, changing a weapon into a ring can be done. I can't find a way to change the top drop down on the weapon or ring editor to add more rings or remove weapons, but this way works too. You put in the hex code for the stat bonus (So finding all of those ring stat buff codes actually was worth something) and choose a skill from the list of weapon skills, but it ONLY works for ring skills, like Life or Steal. Or Bargain, apparently.

Is there any way to make a ring that grants Critical to all weapons of the holder? I've been thinking of making legendary rings in a hack along with or instead of legendary weapons, and a critical ring would be cool. Redundancy on the skill shouldn't be an issue; you can already hold a defense sword and shield ring or a thief sword and thief ring at the same time in vanilla.

Another side note, can an indestructible staff or tome be created? Broken weapons can just be given better stats, but broken staves and tomes cannot even be used or equipped. Rings cannot break, but also can't do anything to fight. The ring editor has an option to change it to a staff and select a staff effect, but that just glitches the menus and doesn't function as a staff. Durability isn't much of an issue in FE4, of course, but is it possible to ignore durability altogether on a tome or staff?

Just add the Critical skill to the ring like other Killer weapons.

7 hours ago, MondoGrass said:

you cannot make indestructible weapons in FE4 without some kind of ASM

the thing about the ring editor is that rings have a different length of data compared to other items... you can make regular items into rings, but not vice versa

additionally, while rings can be given all kinds of skills, not all skills work on rings... I haven't tested them entirely, but I believe some of them don't work if you use the weapon list instead of the ring list

critical for example only works if you use the original ring list I believe, but say, sol/luna/astra still work in the weapon list... I think

like I said I still need to do deliberate testing

So I tried using your nightmare modules, but for 99% of the modules it says ''An error occured while trying to load the module (insert modules here).nmn. A list of entry names was specified but could not be loaded. Use NULL to specify no file.'' I'm sorry if this was already asked but do you know what I could do to fix it?

10 hours ago, Lukas said:

So I tried using your nightmare modules, but for 99% of the modules it says ''An error occured while trying to load the module (insert modules here).nmn. A list of entry names was specified but could not be loaded. Use NULL to specify no file.'' I'm sorry if this was already asked but do you know what I could do to fix it?

Check the txt files. Nightmare needs to use txt files to open the dropdowns, so if even one of them is missing, a module that uses that txt file won't load and will show that error. Make sure you have all of the right nightmare files downloaded.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, figured here was the best place to post. I dusted off my remix/hard mode patch from like 5+ years ago and decided to pull a George Lucas and go back and update it with the new stuff found. I cheated my way played through the game to inspect everything and it all seems fine now except a single issue. Sword skills don't get passed down other then the usual suspects (Larcei, Ulster, Patty, Lene). Holyn (Or w/e his new localized name it) and Dew won't be able to pass their Sol/Luna skills down to anyone besides Bridget, Ayra, and Sylvia.

EDIT: I saw a patch someone here made with it, so I know it's been discovered here.

Edited by Camus The Dark Knight

13 hours ago, Camus The Dark Knight said:

Alright, figured here was the best place to post. I dusted off my remix/hard mode patch from like 5+ years ago and decided to pull a George Lucas and go back and update it with the new stuff found. I cheated my way played through the game to inspect everything and it all seems fine now except a single issue. Sword skills don't get passed down other then the usual suspects (Larcei, Ulster, Patty, Lene). Holyn (Or w/e his new localized name it) and Dew won't be able to pass their Sol/Luna skills down to anyone besides Bridget, Ayra, and Sylvia.

EDIT: I saw a patch someone here made with it, so I know it's been discovered here.

more detailed info in my post

Edited by Lamia

I've been having some issues regarding battle animations. I intended on having the Priest class able to cast light magic. However, the only way I managed to accomplish this was to use the Battle Sprite Editor module to use a different sprite while using tomes. Even tried changing a staff's sprite with Item Sprite Editor but I just showed a glitchy staff in battle.

Is this a matter of inserting custom/new sprites to the rom? If so, is the proccess similar to the portrait insertion one?

3 hours ago, Blunderpuggs said:

I've been having some issues regarding battle animations. I intended on having the Priest class able to cast light magic. However, the only way I managed to accomplish this was to use the Battle Sprite Editor module to use a different sprite while using tomes. Even tried changing a staff's sprite with Item Sprite Editor but I just showed a glitchy staff in battle.

Is this a matter of inserting custom/new sprites to the rom? If so, is the proccess similar to the portrait insertion one?

afraid it's not that easy, the animations that are coded for staff use are not compatible with using normal magic, lockups will occur

it's a matter of animation coding which is not simple

battle sprites are simply a large image of tiles, and the animation codes are what direct the tiles to display a certain way, along with what to do at what point in battle... something that staff animations don't have all of the information for, so it causes faults

your best bet is to give them different sprites and animations entirely, of a class that can already use both

Edited by Lamia

Figured as much :p. Well, was already going to "cut off" some classes. Thanks :).

Btw, how did you manage to give the "Dance" effect to a staff? Did you just change one byte via hex editing?

Edited by Blunderpuggs

9 hours ago, Blunderpuggs said:

Figured as much :p. Well, was already going to "cut off" some classes. Thanks :).

Btw, how did you manage to give the "Dance" effect to a staff? Did you just change one byte via hex editing?

there was some special codes in one of the many textfiles of notes in the binary collection

I think it required inserting the codes someplace and pointing to them by adjusting the staff effect data in a few different places (been a while)

but it wasn't simple that's for sure, took a bit

Sorry for bothering again. I was playing around the nightmare modules and I happened to come across with this: a greyed out dropdown option in the "promotion editor". What file am I missing to unlock (can't think of a better term for it) that option (if there even was supposed to have a purpose)?

lolwut.png5a64b7d55b399_charactereditorfiles.png.cab8b30132d74a637241536524d59e24.png

Edited by Blunderpuggs