Lamia's FE4 stuff

Lamia

bumping the topic with content, strangely forgot to add it

FE4EasyText is a patch that Pukachi made way back when, which converts the dialogue text table to be converted directly from ASCII

in short, it lets you type in letters in a hex editor to write dialogue instead of using codes or a parser

it uses up more space than a well-constructed parser, but it's incredibly easy to use, just keep in mind you still need to manually input control codes (textfile contained in fe4hackdocs)

you can use this on either a blank ROM or to overwrite a patch that used j2e's as a base; doubtful you could use others, but never tested

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MTIh0iG_hU_W5qYNwW8Dn91DhwRMnXbW/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Lamia

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this is wanted or relevant, but I was fooling around with just minor tweaks to my game for no real reason when it reminded me of this one PM I sent Shin way back when he started the Shin patch. So I dug it up.

Hey, I was messing around with Nightmare some, and I was wondering if you wanted to implement multiple lords or something cool like that.

I've been able to get them to seize castles, but the game won't end if they die, at least I don't think it will, as I've only been trying it with Cuan and Ethlin so far so I don't know. Also, I've only checked it with Lord Knights too, so I'm not sure you can do it with Junior Lord, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

multiplelords.png

Now, so far I think you'd only be able to get three lords, maybe more, but Celice has to use Sigurd's map sprite. You might be able to clear out extra sprites by changing where it says Male or Female to None in the other ones. Males use None automatically if there is no Male specified, but I'd keep the Females just in case.

That green box was originally the Celice Lord Knight Sprite box. The first number in hex in Red allows you to make unique lords. Since it has 01 for Sigurd, Sigurd shows up as that sprite. Cuan, who I also put as a Lord Knight, showed up as a Duke Knight, but when I put it as 00, Sigurd showed up as a Duke Knight too, so I think that might be the default Lord Knight sprite. The first number in hex is the character address you want to use that sprite.

The thing in blue is the sprite's gender, so if the character isn't that gender then I don't think it'll show up as that sprite.

I'm still fooling around a little with it, but if you want more info for it or I find more things I might want to share, I'll send you a PM on it.

Wow this is old

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to double post, but I've been trying to look around for it myself and can't seem to figure it out. Is there a way you can make Seige tomes not halt movement in case I want to give one to the player?

and you have a portrait tutorial can you make a mapping tutorial lamia

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

updated the first post with a few more nightmare modules (listed after the skill table editors), nothing significant but perhaps neat

was looking through the binary research again, found some neato things like modifying skill and stat calculations which I may play around with

used some info there to make this patch here if anyone may be interested, it changes the Hit% calculation to add Luck to the hit rate

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9rsdj5oot7ugoa/FE4HitRate.ips?dl=1

this is a utility patch, can be applied to any ROM with a header, translation or not (most likely) and it uses free space of which you probably aren't using, at $41C0

some notes:

[spoiler=snoresville]

4AAAE set to 00 to automatically unequip broken weapons

4E3BE music used when attacking with dance skill
4EB97 healing music (for live, relive, recover, and libro)

16FCD1 big shield sound effect
17821A holy weapon shine sound effect

17F5C2 title screen Fire Emblem tile pointer
17F5CD title screen sword/flag tile pointer
17F617 title screen shadow tile pointer

Edited by Lamia

• 2 months later...

I hope it doesn't matter that I'm posting this here in regards to necro or off topic, but I'm trying to get back into messing around with FE4 hacking and I wanted to put some notes of things I found out there. I thought it would be a good idea to just keep things in one spot since this thread is already so full of other notes.

I was messing around in FE4MAP which honestly doesn't have as much documentation as it should. This is what I found the Edit functions did.

also Lamia's FE4MAP guide

1. Save Map

2. Go to the folder you saved it to

3. Drag map you saved onto encofe4.exe

4. Back to the program, choose map to overwrite (0-B) and click MAP to make sure it's selected

5. Insert

6. Browse the MAP NAME for map000.bin (the exported file from encofe4)

7. Profit

LOCATIONS and TILECHANGES
Orange boxes seem to be castles, blue boxes are villages, red boxes are tile changes such as ramparts, bridges, and the Yied cliffs falling. I can move things and save them but it
doesn't appear to actually affect anything. I tried to move a village and put the village location and tiles in a new spot but you had to visit the old location to close the gates.

REINFORCEMENT
Dropbox chooses which group of units to edit. Different values choose the group that appears after castle seizeing. IE for the prologue the first value is units on the map from turn 1, the second value is units that only appear after jungby is seized.
ID changes things the unit's identity which can affect level, stats, and inventory. I assume it will affect Nightmare things, but don't mess with this unless you have to because I somehow added Blume to the Prologue and caused a crash on Enemy Phase.
EX, EY is the unit's position. SX, SY is where the unit spawns. I can't seem to add more of the movement arrows so I'm if you can change a unit's path from what it already is.
BOSS chooses whether the unit is a boss or not. 00 means not a boss, 01 means boss. I assume this affects things like BGM and potentially Leadership?
MISC I'm assuming is AI. 08 means the unit will destroy villages. 05 seems to mean the unit will remain passive until something enters it's range. This will not make bosses leave castles. The rest I'm not really sure about.
UNIT affects which castle the unit is affliated with. Do not mess with this too much. Trying to add PC's seems to crash the game when you select them. Changing Ardan's affliation in Prologue crashes the game. You can seem to add NPCs without too many errors? I could add more units to Midir's army and they disappeared after Jungby was seized. Going one number higher put the unit in a blank army probably due to the fact there were only 3 castles yet I tried to do 4 armies.
ORDER seems to be the order a battalion loads in. I didn't touch this too much but I did notice this for things like the chapter 5 dragon knights.
I assume ADDRESS is the address for that unit's data but I don't want to mess around with it.

MOVEBLOCK
The different colors seem to correspond to which areas unblock upon seizing a castle. Blue seems to clear after seizing one castle, and green the castle after that.
I tried putting a blue area in the Prologue as a test and it didn't clear upon seizing Jungby so not really sure actually. I can confirm moveblocks block more than just
fliers though.

PALETTE
Changes the map's palette if you want to customize it. The palettes correspond to the chapter maps, but you can use this to do things like make the Prologue snowy or make the Final chapter bright.

Edited by Psych

• 3 weeks later...

as an addendum to the above, event codes play a big part in how the map functions; try not to mess with character numbers (ID), AI, alignment, or adding more castles/villages in FE4MAP than the chapter's default without knowing what you're doing

the MoveBlock thing is part of the map data, however event codes are needed to unlock blocked portions (hence the 'custom' option too)

there's a glitch that occurs with some chapters when saving village/castle data(like chapter 3): the placement of the villages/castles in the ROM are too close together, and the editor overlaps the data, causing serious problems, notably of which is corrupting the shop data for all chapters... you'll have to step into the ROM itself to correct that, but it should be easy (relatively) to search for the stuff and correct it yourself

• 1 month later...

I have a question about the easytext patch. What if my text is longer then the Text I'm trying to overwrite? Can I repoint it else where (If yes how?) or do I have to shorten my new text so it fits the original length?

there's a control code list for dialogue text in the fe4hackdocs 'scripting' folder

2A: Points to text elsewhere			Takes arguments
							XX YY ZZ, points
							to ZZ YY XX MINUS
							$800000. Remember
							to add/subtract $200
							for the header too.

for example, if you put in the following code:

00 2A BA CF 89

it will, smoothly, move the active dialogue reading to the address of $9D1BA

however, when using the repoint code and using the 'end' code (01) at the end of the repointed text, it will start reading text after the original pointer; make sure to put an 01 at the end of the pointer if you're not going back to it

there's a fair bit of free space you can use for text if you don't overdo it

I'll inform you in advance to make some sort of marking or note for free space in the ROM that you come across/make so that you can search it out easy and use it for text or whatever else

Edited by Lamia

Thanks a lot! That helps me with the biggest issue I had.

By the way, do you know how to lenghten the skillnames in the skillmenu? I changed the name length via nightmare. It works fine in the unitmenu but the skillnames in the skillmenu have still their old length.

the skill list screen uses a different set of names in the ROM IIRC

also, what do you mean you used nightmare to change the name length? you can't do that in nightmare, unless you just meant adjusting the name pointers since you have to edit letters manually

Edited by Lamia

Uhm yeah I adjusted the pointers using the modules you posted earlier.

there's a control code list for dialogue text in the fe4hackdocs 'scripting' folder

2A: Points to text elsewhere			Takes arguments
							XX YY ZZ, points
							to ZZ YY XX MINUS
							$800000. Remember
							to add/subtract $200
							for the header too.

for example, if you put in the following code:

00 2A BA CF 89

it will, smoothly, move the active dialogue reading to the address of $9D1BA

however, when using the repoint code and using the 'end' code (01) at the end of the repointed text, it will start reading text after the original pointer; make sure to put an 01 at the end of the pointer if you're not going back to it

there's a fair bit of free space you can use for text if you don't overdo it

I'll inform you in advance to make some sort of marking or note for free space in the ROM that you come across/make so that you can search it out easy and use it for text or whatever else

How much do I have to substract from my pointer I want to point to? I wrote some text at $400080 and want my orignal text to point at it. Do I have to substract $800000 from it? Cause doing so gives me a negative value. Its kinda confuses me.

as the detail says, it points to the bytes given minus $800000, so you need to add $800000 to your address that you're pointing to

additionally, since your ROM probably has a header, you need to subtract $200 to the pointer since the ROM doesn't read that part

so the total code for your pointer should be

00 2A 80 FE BF if I'm not mistaken

also, as a side note... I don't know that the game can read past $400200 if it's not expanded

Edited by Lamia

also, as a side note... I don't know that the game can read past $400200 if it's not expanded

I have a dialogue that is beginning before $400200 but ending after it, making the game at the end of the dialogue, even though it is expanded. Then I tried the free space at 3E20 resulting printing small 80 intinitly.

I have a dialogue that is beginning before $400200 but ending after it, making the game at the end of the dialogue, even though it is expanded. Then I tried the free space at 3E20 resulting printing small 80 intinitly.

are you having an issue? I can't tell

then yeah you shouldn't make the dialogue go past the game's 4MB limit unless you expand it properly, SNES handles things differently, although I haven't had much luck with that (though may just be my emulator)

as for repointing to the early space in the ROM you might have done it incorrectly or it's a place where you can't

Edited by Lamia

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I should share my research with everyone who needs it.

As Lamia told me to repoint text simply use the text command 00 2A

2A: Points to text elsewhere            Takes arguments
                            XX YY ZZ, points
                            to ZZ YY XX MINUS
                            $800000. Remember
                            to add/subtract $200
                            for the header too.

And you can actually have text pointed behind $400200. Just reverse the offset of you text WITHOUT adding $800000 to it.

As for Names, Classes and Items its a bit more complex. I only tested it with the free space at $3FA70 cause you need to stay within the range of $3FFFF. Also you need to know the table's offset for it. After writing your new name, class, item in the new offset, take it and subract it with the tables pointer and replace the old value with the new one.

Edited by Sephie-chan

• 3 weeks later...

Holy fuck Camus is back for his once a month post!

A question, I remember playing a lot of Japanese hacks where legendary weapons could be bought/sold like normal weapons, would you know how to do that? Also of note, it was interesting in the hack characters with minor holy blood could use legendary weapons, but the bonus stats were reduced by 50%

Also, I figured I should contribute to this as well. I have a custom holy character editor allowing you to make more holy bosses (Or hell, standard enemies), so for example you could give a boss like Shagarl minor Hezul blood to fit with the continuity and give him higher stats then the class stats and even custom skills, you get the idea.

It uses blank space in the ROM somewhere around the middle (Can't be at the end, the character pointers don't like the end for whatever reason), all you need to do is fill out the sheet and then change the character's pointer to look at the new custom holy data. Going with Shagarl again, you would just change his pointer to the new holy version instead of the old generic version.

I made the module myself, but credit goes to hanhnn for telling where the pointers were.

EDIT: Seems the site doesn't like 7z files.

EDIT2: Here is a list I made for myself, super incomplete, but you will see the pattern isntantly and should be able to follow it fine.

Pointer Character

7204 Sigurd
9804 Noish
BE04 Alec
E404 Arden
0A05 Finn (Young)
3005 Cuan
5605 Midel
7C05 Levin
A205 Holyn
C805 Azel
EE05 Jamuka
1406 Claude
3A06 Beowolf
6006 Lex
8606 Dew
AC06 Diadora

D206 Ethlin
F806 Lachesis
1E07 Aila
4407 Fury
6A07 Tiltyu
9007 Sylvia
B607 Edin
DC07 Bridget
0208 Celice
0E08 Shannon
3408 Rodalban
5A08 Asaello
8008 Leaf
8C08 Johan
B208 Sharlow
D808 Hawk

FE08 Tristan
2409 Finn (Adult)
4A09 Dimna
7009 Hannibal
9609 Aless
BC09 Amid
E209 Oifaye
080A Daisy
2E0A Radney
540A Mana
7A0A Julia
A00A Althenna
AC0A Femina
D20A Linda
F80A Laylea
1E0B Jane

440B Johalva
6A0B Skasaher
760B Faval
820B Corple
8E0B Sety
9A0B Delmud
A60B Lester
B20B Arthur
BE0B Patty
CA0B Lakche
D60B Lana
E20B Fee
EE0B Tinny
FA0B Lyn
060C Nanna
120C Gerrald

1F0C DiMaggio
2C0C Verdane Army
390C Verdane Army
460C Verdane Army
530C Verdane Army
600C Verdane Army
6D0C Verdane Army
7A0C Kinbois
870C Verdane Army
940C Verdane Army
A10C Verdane Army
AE0C Verdane Army
BB0C Gandolf
C80C Captain
D50C Verdane Army
E20C Verdane Army

FC0C Sandima
2A0F Shagarl (Chapter 2)
3111 Shagarl (Chapter 3)
5C12 Maios
1213 Daccar

D049 0x03F9C5 Custom Holy 0
F649 0x03F9EB Custom Holy 1
1C4A 0x03FA11 Custom Holy 2
424A 0x03FA37 Custom Holy 3
684A 0x03FA5D Custom Holy 4
8E4A 0x03FA83 Custom Holy 5
B44A 0x03FAA9 Custom Holy 6
DA4A 0x03FACF Custom Holy 7
004B 0x03FAF5 Custom Holy 8
264B 0x03FB1B Custom Holy 9
4C4B 0x03FB41 Custom Holy A
724B 0x03FB64 Custom Holy B
984B 0x03FB8D Custom Holy C
BE4B 0x03FBB3 Custom Holy D
E44B 0x03FBD9 Custom Holy E
0A4C 0x03FBFF Custom Holy F
304C 0x03FC25 Custom Holy 10
564C 0x03FC4B Custom Holy 11
7C4C Custom Holy 12
A24C Custom Holy 13

Holy Character Editor.zip

Edited by Drew Pickles

Holy fuck Camus is back for his once a month post!

A question, I remember playing a lot of Japanese hacks where legendary weapons could be bought/sold like normal weapons, would you know how to do that? Also of note, it was interesting in the hack characters with minor holy blood could use legendary weapons, but the bonus stats were reduced by 50%

Also, I figured I should contribute to this as well. I have a custom holy character editor allowing you to make more holy bosses (Or hell, standard enemies), so for example you could give a boss like Shagarl minor Hezul blood to fit with the continuity and give him higher stats then the class stats and even custom skills, you get the idea.

It uses blank space in the ROM somewhere around the middle (Can't be at the end, the character pointers don't like the end for whatever reason), all you need to do is fill out the sheet and then change the character's pointer to look at the new custom holy data. Going with Shagarl again, you would just change his pointer to the new holy version instead of the old generic version.

about sellable holy weapons, I kind of do that already for my own project (I use S ranks) and they might have gone with something like that, and even if they didn't the result is similar? although I have personal weapons in my project too... I'm not exactly sure really, but I'm sure there's a patch for it buried somewhere

as for the minor blood half stat gain, that's a whole other can of reprogramming (which I am generally clueless about)

the custom holy characters seem like a swell idea though, a good resource (even if I won't personally have a use for it probably)

Edited by Lamia

If you want to be able to sell Holy Weapons, all you need to do is change the byte at 4B4E7 to 00 from 16. It won't display sell value in shops, but it'll let you buy and sell them as with any other weapon.

about sellable holy weapons, I kind of do that already for my own project (I use S ranks) and they might have gone with something like that, and even if they didn't the result is similar? although I have personal weapons in my project too... I'm not exactly sure really, but I'm sure there's a patch for it buried somewhere

as for the minor blood half stat gain, that's a whole other can of reprogramming (which I am generally clueless about)

the custom holy characters seem like a swell idea though, a good resource (even if I won't personally have a use for it probably)

I kind of figured, but figured I would ask anyway.

If you want to be able to sell Holy Weapons, all you need to do is change the byte at 4B4E7 to 00 from 16. It won't display sell value in shops, but it'll let you buy and sell them as with any other weapon.

Why thank you!

EDIT: Since I have been gone forever, has anyone found where Seliph's holy blood is yet? I looked through and individually changed every "06000000" string years back with nothing so it's not coded normally.

Edited by Drew Pickles

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about one of the patches mentioned earlier, more specifically the sword skills being used for any weapon type. They still have problems getting passed down, anyone know anything about that?

it's undoubtedly a holdover from the vanilla game, to prevent dew and holyn passing down their skills to just anyone; I doubt there's an easy fix for that, although a single byte change would be nice

has it been tested that they still pass down the skills to the matching children regardless of class?

Edited by Lamia