Why do Dancers use Swords?

Jotari

In terms of logic and history as well as in terms of gameplay. Their low strength and flimsyness means there's little use for it as far as I can see. Though I never have properly trained a dancer in Genealogy or Awakening.

Maybe it's for self-defence?

Kaga also hinted that Feena in FE3 was of noble blood and that's why she could use the Rapier. Although tt's too bad that wasn't carried over to FE12...

Can you imagine a dancer with an axe?

Not without some stretch of the imagination (and it would be awesome). It's much easier to imagine dancers without any weapon like in the GBA games. I guess in the first few games they just decided that all units had to be able to wield some weapon (I think Xane could wield swords in is normal form back then too) and later decided not to. FE12 is a remake so they went with again there which means the only one that seems like a confusing decision is Olivia. Does she have any offensive abilities that make it worth giving her a sword?

It makes roughly enough sense to me- the dancers/bards need to be fairly free to move around to do their jobs, and admittedly often have among the slightest builds of anyone in their respective armies, and almost assuredly the least combat training, but they still may need to defend themselves from time to time.

now, if we could do things the other way around and get a sword user trained to (sword) dance, like Stocke in Radiant Historia, that would be interesting

They're the lightest weapons and Dancers are far too dumb to learn magic.

With the possible exception, at least as far as cleverness seems to go, of Elphin, and the assured exceptions of Ninian, Nils, Reyson, Leanne, and Rafiel. (but then they admittedly aren't dancers in the traditional sense, so bloop)

Edited by Rehab

A dancer wielding a tome would be interesting.

But since dancing requires quite a bit of agility and strength to begin with, giving them a sword enables them to protect themselves if needed. Swords are probably easier to conceal and carry around with them than a lance or axe.

So they aren't complete liabilities on the battlefield. I found it quite refreshing to play FE12/13 and see them defend themselves - it was such a relief if they were well trained enough to put in a proper formation, though that only really applies with Olivia.

Why yes:

Lalumwithanaxe.png

Ehehehehehehehe~

Anyway, I think it's mostly because of the term "sword dancer" (or at least, that's how I interpreted it). In reality, it's probably just because swords are a light weapon with a method of attack that meshes easily with the sort of elegant motions dancers specialize in.

Edited by Starlight36

In terms of logic and history as well as in terms of gameplay. Their low strength and flimsyness means there's little use for it as far as I can see. Though I never have properly trained a dancer in Genealogy or Awakening.

Um...yeah, that kind of sums of it. In a more logical perspective, think of Dancers not really being combat units- However, they would really appreciate some kind of weapon they could defend themselves with in case of emergencies. Their usual build would also contribute to the fact that they should very well carry something rather light and relatively small so they can move comfterbly with, rather than a Lance (which is long and uncomfterble to carry around), an Axe (heavy weapons by default) or a Bow-Arrow (they'd require at least some experience with this, a sword doesn't require that much dextery for simple self-defense.

I now pose the question to those of you following this thread, if they appeared in a game with that weapon type, would you rather see dancers using knives as there light means of defense?

Edited by Jotari

I now pose the question to those of you following this thread, if they appeared in a game with that weapon type, would you rather see dancers using knives as there light means of defense?

I'd love that, actually. I really hope knives are implemented in the next FE game.

Usually I follow Chinese dance so sword dancers are pretty common place? And then there's the vids Bal posted but I'm not familiar with non-Chinese culture so

And afaik you do need to be pretty strong to dance, not as strong as a soldier perhaps but should be strong enough to shove pointy objects through somebody assaulting you

As for knives I do prefer swords since I have more cultural connections towards swords being used as a part of dance but hell if they can make it work be my guest

I've seen prop polearms too, a lot more flimsy than what you'd actually use in battle tho so not sure if count?

yeah if knives return as their own weapon type,then they would fit as weapon for dancers.

Otherwise they simply could keep swords as weapons.

Battle clerics never made sense to me, but it still is badass in some weird way.

this comes a little bit late,but battle clerics use axes because they are the closest thing the fe-series has to maces/warhammers(cause clerics are often seen using those)

Well, from what I know about medieval European swordfighting, what you do with your feet when you're fighting is quite similar to dancing. I think kendo is the same way.

I'm not sure if the same could be said for fighting with any other type of weapon, but I thought that spears were usually used by ranks of soldiers in tight formation, so I don't think dancing would have much similarity to spear-fighting.

As for axes... I have no idea what axe-fighting is like.

In any case, dancers are as swift and agile as thieves, so it makes some sense for dancers to use the same type of weapon that thieves use.

Edited by Paper Jam