What keeps your Fire Emblem gears turning? After reaching two hundred recorded hours of playing, I asked myself this, and I'm curious, what keeps everyone else going? Characters? Enjoyable grinding? DLC? (I wouldn't know too much about that)... Fanservice (ie. Summer scramble)? Or do you just enjoy maxing out your stats and skills? I enjoy having my units reach ridiculous levels of strength and throwing them into the final chapter alone, watching them wreck shop with all those grimleal, but what about you?

The seemingly infinite amount of variables in how characters can turn out is part of it. Pairings, different approaches to runs, stuff like that. Also the DLC. The DLC really makes me keep making new files in order to try out new things with the DLC prizes and stuff.

The plots are great, but what really keeps me going is the gameplay, and how I would have to overcome challenges and think before I move my units(on harder difficulties). Around 500 hours and counting!

Characters? Enjoyable grinding? DLC? (I wouldn't know too much about that)... Fanservice (ie. Summer scramble)? Or do you just enjoy maxing out your stats and skills? I enjoy having my units reach ridiculous levels of strength and throwing them into the final chapter alone, watching them wreck shop with all those grimleal, but what about you?

^All of that... Especially the "having my units reach ridiculous levels of strength" part - that's just too much fun. I'm obsessed with making my avatar have the highest ranking in my logbook. :D

The plots are great, but what really keeps me going is the gameplay, and how I would have to overcome challenges and think before I move my units(on harder difficulties). Around 500 hours and counting!

Yes, that drives quite a lot of us, me included!

All the my units to be made, all the armsthrifts to be had, and all the bookmarks to delete because one of MY GOSH DARN HEALERS ARE ALWAYS IN RANGE OF THOSE ASSASSINS AND THEIR PASS!

Err... But yeah.

^All of that... Especially the "having my units reach ridiculous levels of strength" part - that's just too much fun. I'm obsessed with making my avatar have the highest ranking in my logbook. :D

Yeah, good old my unit, so much potential, mine's worth 67000 gold without limit break or any other stat mods. How much is yours?

A lot of reasons. Trying some new pairings, trying to get good children to make an unbeatable team for any potential StreetPass teams I may bump into, the story works too at some point, and then the DLCs too. Though there are some DLCs that I just abuse for exp / items but the Scrambles are especially satisfying. And the supports are always entertaining, even if there is one particular support that will never change for me. It lets me learn more about the characters that I may not have known before.

Then at least on my first main file which was on Normal, I also wanted to max my stats for my main units... and then I started to want to start a new play with even better supports/children while getting a little bit more challenge in my main story. Which is why I started a Hard run as a secondary main file.

375 hours and counting, most of it passively grinding on dlc to max stats.

Playing the harder dlc with restrictions is also a thing.

Also supports.

Different runs with different objectives with the party is also another thing I do.

Edited by AstraLunaSol

The seemingly infinite amount of variables in how characters can turn out is part of it. Pairings, different approaches to runs, stuff like that. Also the DLC. The DLC really makes me keep making new files in order to try out new things with the DLC prizes and stuff.

In the way of DLC, I have champions of yore 1, seeing as there's all the DLC must provide a fun although still varied challenge (see strongest one's name, Japanese DLC) even if you've beaten the DLC before. I can only play CoY1 so many times...

At least there's still free bonus box stuff for people like me!

For me, there are many reasons, but the number one reason is that I'm out-and-out addicted.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Well i havent got the Challenge pack and im debating whether or not to even get those. Doesnt seem like something im into really. I want the FoD one for the story reasons.

Yeah, good old my unit, so much potential, mine's worth 67000 gold without limit break or any other stat mods. How much is yours?

Well... mine is worth 48800 gold...

Wow. Yours is quite impressive, I must say.

Teach me your avatar skill-building ways! (」゜ロ゜)」

A lot of reasons. Trying some new pairings, trying to get good children to make an unbeatable team for any potential StreetPass teams I may bump into, the story works too at some point, and then the DLCs too. Though there are some DLCs that I just abuse for exp / items but the Scrambles are especially satisfying. And the supports are always entertaining, even if there is one particular support that will never change for me. It lets me learn more about the characters that I may not have known before.

Then at least on my first main file which was on Normal, I also wanted to max my stats for my main units... and then I started to want to start a new play with even better supports/children while getting a little bit more challenge in my main story. Which is why I started a Hard run as a secondary main file.

Right, I've been out of new files to use for over a month now, two hard files, both complete, and a lunatic one stuck at chapter 19 i believe (lucina is just too fragile to survive more than a single wind mage). I don't believe in DLC content as a whole, but I do recognize it does add a lot story and lore-wise, even if it's just a fun tidbit of info between characters. DLC is something I bought for another game because it's something my friends and i play together, but when it comes to Fe, I'm all alone, and I'm saving my eshop money for zelda 3ds and the Oracle games. I got a bit off topic there, but When it comes down to it, there's always something to keep you going, I'm currently going after the 30000 renown Naga's tear, I'm only at 20000 today...

Well i havent got the Challenge pack and im debating whether or not to even get those. Doesnt seem like something im into really. I want the FoD one for the story reasons.

FoD 1, or it's English name "The Future Past" is out today to the best of my knowledge, but yeah, I've heard good things about those DLCs

Well... mine is worth 48800 gold...

Wow. Yours is quite impressive, I must say.

Teach me your avatar skill-building ways! (」゜ロ゜)」

Thanks for not saying I wasted four hours of my life by the way.

PaviseAegisRenewalIgnisArmsthrift+ all but resistance maxed, and I've done that to three of my four my units

It takes a long time, be sure to pair up and equip veteran

48000 is still a lot of money, it's more than good ol' king Marth is

375 hours and counting, most of it passively grinding on dlc to max stats.

Playing the harder dlc with restrictions is also a thing.

Also supports.

Different runs with different objectives with the party is also another thing I do.

Setting fun little challenges is a good way to boost longevity... thanks for the tip!

It has the same thing that Pokemon does that always makes me return to it; so many things to do. I'm still technically on my second playthrough, but I've been using it as my parents support grind playthrough. Then I need to return to my first file and do all of the child pair-ups.

After that, there's still Lunatic runs and maybe Lunatic+ runs if I'm feeling crazy. I also need to regrind supports for Female Avatar on a second playthrough. Then there's DLC, which I'm saving for later once I've read most, if not all, of the supports.

Lastly, I had the crazy idea to start thinking up and implementing Avatars for my OCs. The whole Asset/Flaw system, as well as the Skill system, combined with the Avater having almost every class tree available, allows for some awesome character creation potential. Plus, I love that they have the Avatar Logbook so you never have to lose your Avatars.

All the things....just all of them.... plus my Avatar Army file! So much customization!

And both of my Avatars thus far clock in at 77,000 gold in the logbook....obsessed much??? XD

The many many S supports. The skill combinations. The various characters and such is all worth replaying it over and its just a heck of a lot of fun.

Lastly, I had the crazy idea to start thinking up and implementing Avatars for my OCs. The whole Asset/Flaw system, as well as the Skill system, combined with the Avater having almost every class tree available, allows for some awesome character creation potential. Plus, I love that they have the Avatar Logbook so you never have to lose your Avatars.

Sounds very similar to what I did. I just create different MUs with a different combination of asset/flaws, give them specific classes and skills that other MUs don't have, and pair them with different people. It's pretty fun.

Sounds very similar to what I did. I just create different MUs with a different combination of asset/flaws, give them specific classes and skills that other MUs don't have, and pair them with different people. It's pretty fun.

Yeah, it is fun, but I think I'm doing something different then what you mean. What I meant is I have original characters that I thought up for other series, so all of their powers and traits are based in that series. I use the assets/flaws and skills to define their character in Awakening. For example, one of my characters is a speedy combat medic type, so he'd get something like +Spd and -Str or Skl, would have Healtouch and other support skills (maybe a Rally or two), and would probably be a Trickster since, if I had to choose a weapon for him, it'd be a sword (the series he's based on doesn't really do weapon fighting). To me, the fun is in figuring out the perfect set of 5 skills that define the core concepts of my character without giving a wrong impression.

Yeah, it is fun, but I think I'm doing something different then what you mean. What I meant is I have original characters that I thought up for other series, so all of their powers and traits are based in that series. I use the assets/flaws and skills to define their character in Awakening. For example, one of my characters is a speedy combat medic type, so he'd get something like +Spd and -Str or Skl, would have Healtouch and other support skills (maybe a Rally or two), and would probably be a Trickster since, if I had to choose a weapon for him, it'd be a sword (the series he's based on doesn't really do weapon fighting). To me, the fun is in figuring out the perfect set of 5 skills that define the core concepts of my character without giving a wrong impression.

I figured as much, haha. All of my OCs are for my original stories in an very non-FE universe, so I guess I'm using Awakening's MU system to help me develop new OCs or something. :P

Beat the game once and was like "Done!"

There really isn't much replayability without having to grind mountains to dust or doing challenge runs which I don't really like to do especially since there's no real incentive to do so.

The story and the huge boner the game has for the Avatar for whatever reason has an incredibly weak pay off anyway.