Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

screw FE13 translations

this is as dumb as people like, retranslating ff2 for the SNES so that it says Fira instead of Fire 2

except I'm pretty sure noone actually did that

Edited by Refa

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it would be "Grannvalers", or "Grannvaleites". Even if it wouldn't be, do it, because it sounds better than having it end in 'alien'.

Definitely keep Naga consistent.

-

Now, I understand keeping things in line with official localizations, but the romanizations of characters who haven't been localized tend to be rather... irksome, to me. I'm especially bothered by Tailto (which should correspond to Taillte/Tailtiu), but then again, I'm the sort of person who is bothered simply by having a name that has Fire Emblem Wiki as the very first result when Googled.

Levin->Lewyn

Isn't it Levin's sword in FE13?

Sety->Ced

Uh isn't it Seti as in Forseti in FE13? Also I still prefer Sety here. >.>

Tinny->Teeny

Expect 100 jokes when I LP this.

• Serlis->Seliph
  • Leaf->Leif
  • Oifaye->Oifey
  • Lakche->Larcei
  • Delmund->Delmud
  • Scathach->Ulster

Dear god yes please.

• Dragons/Wyverns?
  • Naga vs. Narga?

Unless the story is doing what I'm doing in my Phoenix Saga story (Wyverns are "bastard dragons" shunned by normal dragons and sent to the human realm) then it should definitely be Dragons always, no wyverns.

I like almost all of the other changes in this topic. Tiltyu sounds better to me as well and I agree with sock on that one. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Isn't it Levin's sword in FE13?

Yes, and it has NOTHING to do with Levin. It's simply "Thunder Sword" in Japanese, and "Levin" was localized as "Lewyn".

Uh isn't it Seti as in Forseti in FE13? Also I still prefer Sety here. >.>

Klok, you're not paying attention. Their names on Lost Bloodlines are as such. Sety is "Ced", despite his tome being "Forseti".

Edited by shadowofchaos

Welp, I've been wrong before. Ced is fucking terrible and generic why did they change the most badass FE5 character to have such a shitty name.

Also for the Thunder Sword, does it actually shoot thunder? If not, maybe rename it to Wind Sword? I guess thunder sword works too (Could be like a unique weapon name only used in FE4) but if we're trying to match weapon and tome names to FE7-13 counterparts then wind sword also makes sense.

Now, I understand keeping things in line with official localizations, but the romanizations of characters who haven't been localized tend to be rather... irksome, to me. I'm especially bothered by Tailto (which should correspond to Taillte/Tailtiu), but then again, I'm the sort of person who is bothered simply by having a name that has Fire Emblem Wiki as the very first result when Googled.

oh my i am really liking "Taillte" as a possible name for the character

now if we were to really nitpick i'd talk about doing something about "Noish"; that's always really irked me. i think an earlier guidebook rendered his name as "Noische" instead? it strikes me as a viable alternative

also all this talk about the magic sword name endings is pretty immaterial - as the patch stands, there's no room for anything past just the first word in its name and there's no point worrying about whether it should be Sword or Brand or Edge :P

final note: there was some talk about some graphical hacking to update graphic text. if you can get your hands on someone capable of handling the technical side of it, i'd love to do the actual editing of the graphics. hell, i've done some already out of sheer boredom

Edited by bookofholsety

Sigurd's class is LordKnt, or Lord Knight. I think it should be changed to Knight Lord, or KntLord, seeing as that was the name FE7 used.

Alternatively, it can instead be Great Lord, or GrtLord.

Granted the abbreviated names look a bit strange, but from what I gather that can't really be helped.

Also, this was brought up in the last thread, JrLord really should be changed to Lord.

also all this talk about the magic sword name endings is pretty immaterial - as the patch stands, there's no room for anything past just the first word in its name and there's no point worrying about whether it should be Sword or Brand or Edge :P

In that case, I say we just keep the magic swords as they are.

Edited by David the SecondWorld

@bookofholsety As for that Opening text tranlations, the phrase 'many days and nights have passed' should really be changed if you're gonna edit that.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

@bookofholsety As for that Opening text tranlations, the phrase 'many days and nights have passed' should really be changed if you're gonna edit that.

yeah i'm not totally confident in that particular choice of translation either, but honestly it's like THE standard "telling ancient history or fairytailes" phrase so it seemed viable to me

honestly the entire thing is amateurish and could do with revision at some point; actually perhaps i could benefit from swapping in the OST case's take on the same line (and calling loptyr "satan" while i'm at it)

During the narration before the prologue, 'recognized' is misspelled as 'recognised.'

that's not a typo; that's how it's spelled literally everywhere except America (twilkitri is Australian so the patch uses Australian/British spellings)

Edited by bookofholsety

The first post states that Falaflame was changed to Valflame, but it's still 'FFlame' in the game, so that needs to be fixed.

Would it be possible to use Valflame instead of Vflame, or is there not enough space?

that's not a typo; that's how it's spelled literally everywhere except America (twilkitri is Australian so the patch uses Australian/British spellings)

I must've forgotten about that, my bad.

RE: Adjectival/demonym of Grannvale

It's a really awkward name to work with. As far as I can tell, there is no real-world country that has a really similar name, which makes this even more annoying.

Anyhow, there are a bunch of different ways of creating an adjectival: add a syllable/sound (Croatia becomes Croatian), replace the last syllable (Sweden becomes Swedish), remove the last syllable or sound (Slovakia becomes Slovak), alter the word in several places (France becomes French), or leave it the same (Singapore remains Singapore).

Demonyms are most of the time just the plural form of the adjectival (people from Cambodia are Cambodians), but some use different methodology (people from the previously mentioned Singapore are Singaporeans).

Now as I said, Grannvale is kind of hard to work with, and most of the standard methods don't appear to work, as people have already said that 'Grannvalian' sounds pretty bad (and I would have to agree). You could try just 'Grann' and 'Granns' as your adjectival and demonym, though I still think that sounds a bit awkward. Someone suggest 'Grannvali' to match Jugdrali, and that could work too. You could also cut out the -ale syllable entirely and try again - instead of 'Grannvalian' use 'Grannvian', for example. You could also just fudge it and make something up. 'Grannvaen', maybe?

Just some thoughts.

2Rh2B.png

Not sure if it was brought up in the thread but Loputousu wasn't changed to Loptyr. Not sure if you should change any instances of "Lopt Sect" to "Loptyr Sect" or something, since Lopt could also apply I guess.

There are also a few instances of them calling the "Lopt Sect" the "Dark Sect" which seems odd, since:

1. They were already calling them the Lopt Sect

2. This king guy knows they worship Loptyr, so there's no reason to not call it the Lopt/Loptyr Sect?

Unless Dark Sect is what they said in Japanese too.

Edited by PKLucas531