Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

The ruling family of this area has produced master swordsmen for generations.

It's no surprise as the Chalphys are all descended from Baldo, the God of Light.

Jungby's ruling family of master archers are descended from Ulir, the God of Archery.

yes, the Crusaders are seen as gods by some (as i understand it, Blagi is literally part of the pantheon of his own church)

the main thing to keep in mind is that "god" doesn't necessarily mean "creator deity who predates everything else". as i understand it, ancient mythologies have plenty of references to gods being mortals, or mortals ascending to divinity; it stands to reason that this is how the Crusaders were interpreted, being that they were granted the powers of gods (dragons, but they're basically the same thing to the Jugdrali) and performed a miraculous feat in ending the Loptyr Empire (backed by what's basically the Jugdral equivalent of Satan) where nobody else could

or something idk it's like 2:30AM and i'm half-tired so wordvomit

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XXhi169.png

I think (Sigh...) should be changed to (Sniff...) because, well look at that. She looks bored rather than upset. I always found that hilarious. Boyfriend is dead? Oh well, better find a new one!

It could be a longing or sad sigh, but I think I get your point.

I seem to recall we had a couple of sighs like that in the FE12 patch : P

"Sigh... the emperor's gone crazy and is killing innocent people..."

Edited by VincentASM

Her smiling portrait doesn't help at all. :/: Obviosuly, we can't do anything about that. It's a little nitpicking but then again, it's simple change too.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Posted (edited) · Hidden by VincentASM, May 20, 2013 - Misplaced post
Hidden by VincentASM, May 20, 2013 - Misplaced post

EDIT: Posted in wrong thread. Mods, please delete this post.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Should Andorey be changed to Andrei? The meaning of the name would be ironic considering Andorey's bishonen looks.

Yeah, that's one of the ones I thought was 'official' which really isn't. We can undo Andorey.

I finally broke down and started a file with your patch. But before I get too far, here are my thoughts on your discussion points:

Draco/Wyvern or is this all set

I honestly don't care which one you use. I've never been a stickler for this. As I've said in the past, I'm more interested in the dichotomy between these guys and the Pegasus Knights than what you actually call them.

bastard/dastard?

The words aren't interchangeable, so there really shouldn't be a discussion. If the translation is a pejorative insult or in reference to a child born out of wedlock, use bastard. If the translation refers to a backstabbing villain, use dastard,

Julius death QuOtE!1

I'd say either all caps or normal. The alternating letters are weird.

What to do about Tailto, other unliked names?

I'd use the mythological reference for her in particular, though I don't really feel that strongly about it. I'll keep a list of names I think are fishy as I play, though I've already spotted one: Vylon. Is 'Byron' a legitimate translation?

EDIT: Andorey -> Andrei is something I can get behind.

The bros have a text wrapping error. (Joha*)->Verify my fix

Might be a while until I get to this one.

Loptyr Sect -> Loptyrian?

I prefer the former for purely subjective reasons.

HiPriest -> Bishop

I'm fine with that change, but I'd consider changing the NPC Bishop into something else

Langobalt -> Langbart->Had to revert, too many letters

I prefer Langbart anyhow.

Blade/sword/brand

I'm guessing this refers to the magic swords? I like Fire Brand/Thunder Sword/Wind Blade myself, but that's purely subjective and might be taking too many liberties. Plus, as I understand it, you don't have enough room to add the extra word anyhow.

Ch 5 convo reptor "what are"

Yet to see this

Missing translations - welcomeback, ending, intro

Graphics replacement?->holy blood, title, et cetera

riot gharnef pls

Edited by simmeh

beyond that, for what it's worth, the katakana for Jugdral (ユグドラル yugudoraru) actually differs quite substantially from the standard Japanese rendering of Yggdrasil (ユグドラシル yugudorashiru), which indicates deliberate variation in the name while still clearly referencing Yggdrasil

FE4, and indeed the entire rest of the FE series, is full of this sort of thing in both the English and Japanese versions, which honestly makes DEFAULT TO EXACT MYTHOLOGICAL ORIGINS often a questionable at best approach where contemplating names in fan translations and similar pursuits; Belhalla is another example which leaps to mind (compare バーハラ bāhara to ヴァルハラ varuhara)

Edited by bookofholsety

I finished the Prologue. Minor nitpicks:

Baldo1.png

Two things here:

1) 'Chalphys' bugs the hell out of me. I think it should be 'Chalphies', like how you pluralize other English nouns that end in '-y' (puppy -> puppies, variety -> varieties, etc.)

2) Maybe I missed the discussion, but shouldn't 'Baldo' be 'Baldur'?

Chalphys.png

This one has 'Chalphys' as well.

Edited by simmeh

Is Vylon the confirmed translation? I honestly can't remember. If it isn't, I'd personally like Byron because then he'd be Lord Byron, like the poet.

if by "confirmed translation" you mean NoJ name, then yes, Japanese material calls him Vylon

if you mean a mention in FE13, then no, Byron isn't mentioned in FE13 at all

One thing's that's always confused me is 'King' Eltoshan/Eldigan. Shouldn't 'Duke' or 'Lord' be used since the various 'kings' of Agustria don't actually act like kings and act more like Dukes.

And I believe that they are referred to as both King as well as Lord at different points.

Didn't take a screenshot, but the dialogue is all messed up if Seliph attacks Hilda in Chapter 10. I recall the previous patch (not Gharnef's 1.0 atch, but the one he's using as base) also glitched here, with a random villager sprite showing and text from a previous chapter will display. What happens now is similar, but with Young Oifaye instead of random villager.