Dual Strike is Blatantly OP.

Many (me included) argue that in FE13 pair up is too overpowered, and I think the most imbalanced aspect of pairing up is dual strike. At first, it seems like a rare occasion, but after your units reach max supports it will activate almost every time. When both units are equipped with brave weapons, things become even more... chaotic. You can effectively perform 12 attacks in one turn! How to nerf this, you say? The supporting unit should only be able to attack once the attacking unit has finished ALL the attacks possible. Also, two of your units teaming up on one enemy seems too unfair. So, would you want dual strike to stay in the next FE?

Edited by DarkKnightHenry

Why nerf it? That's a good feature, so this is ok. The only thing that would be awesome, would be the possibility for the ennemies to do the same as the players. ! ;)

When people say Pair Up is too overpowered, I'm pretty sure Dual Strike is the main part of that.

fixed

the two attacks from a brave weapon should function like Aether, can't dual strike until after the second hit

Meh, the mechanic is just a massive pain.

It's activation rate is never high enough to rely on it and never so low that it can be ruled out.

Given the massive emphasis on defensive play in this installment, the latter is particularly annoying. It makes the game uncontrollable.

It's activation rate is never high enough to rely on it and never so low that it can be ruled out.

Given the massive emphasis on defensive play in this installment, the latter is particularly annoying. It makes the game uncontrollable.

.....what?

.....what?

You act pretty surprised at that. Why do you think Sol is such a sought after skill? Why Nosferatanks and Manaketanks are two of the best character builds? Why defensive stats are valued more than offensive stats for pretty much the first time ever?

This, there is just too much luck involved with that and the offensive skills ._.

You act pretty surprised at that. Why do you think Sol is such a sought after skill? Why Nosferatanks and Manaketanks are two of the best character builds? Why defensive stats are valued more than offensive stats for pretty much the first time ever?

I don't know if you've noticed, but Sorcerors and Mercenaries aren't exactly ranked highly, and Rescue+Galeforce means later bosskill chapters don't even see an enemy phase

You can simply Switch to the secondary character, unequip his or her weapon, and then switch back to avoid unwanted Dual Attacks.

... do people in this thread realize that you don't need to be Paired-up to get Dual Strike/Guards? They are separate mechanics. A unit's Support partner just gets priority for those things, if they exist.

they almost always are though

... do people in this thread realize that you don't need to be Paired-up to get Dual Strike/Guards? They are separate mechanics. A unit's Support partner just gets priority for those things, if they exist.

I'm pretty sure we are discussing dual strike here, not pair up.

I hate to break it to you, but the same combo trivializes everything including Apotheosis, so it's just more offense

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure Apotheosis is a rout, not a boss kill, and also requires slightly more powerful units than that. And the stuff I named requires less resources and preparation to work reliably - it can be pulled off a lot more efficiently.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure Apotheosis is a rout, not a boss kill, and also requires slightly more powerful units than that. And the stuff I named requires less resources and preparation to work reliably - it can be pulled off a lot more efficiently.

yes it's a rout

the best way to clear it is with pure offense by rolling over as many enemies as possible on player phase*, then moving on to the next set of enemies

Nosferatu/Manaketes works against this, because non-brave weapons tend to leave enemies alive

*on the alternate route, normal route is stupid

....more importantly, on Brightbow's original point, most tactics don't even require more than 1 dual strike by endgame

Edited by shadykid

...The problem with Dual Anything and Pair Up is simple: It's a PLAYER ONLY MECHANIC.

It's like queens in Chess. If one player had queens and the other could never have them, it wouldn't be fair at all.

But wait, the moment both sides are on an equal footing, suddenly you guessed it, there's balance.

...The problem with Dual Anything and Pair Up is simple: It's a PLAYER ONLY MECHANIC.

It's like queens in Chess. If one player had queens and the other could never have them, it wouldn't be fair at all.

But wait, the moment both sides are on an equal footing, suddenly you guessed it, there's balance.

there's always Lunatic+ and it's enemy-only mechanics

then again, balancing an overpowered ability with more overpowered abilities ends in......that

In my first few hours of play, I despised Dual Strike.

I was walling a bridge, and one of my units was at low enough HP that he could only survive one attack. OK, he can't kill the enemy, though, so only one attack will hit him, right?

Wrong. Screw you, Chrom.

Anyways, of course Dual Strike is OP. It's also luck-based, and encourages early S-ranking, although that's neither here nor there.

If it's gonna stay, make it work for the enemies too, even if they don't get Pair-up.

Why is there players asking for nerf in a single player game?

Request for harder materials yes, but why ask for devalues?

Can't they just leave us alone?

Dual strike is fun, Dual Guard is more fun.

You don't need pair up for dual striking.

Double bow Chrom with Dual Strike+, Dual Guard+, Charm surrounded with 4 A/S rank characters with Dual Support+

-> Fortress