Serenes Forest Theme Banner Contest

Jyosua

Since the upgrade, our old banner no longer works. We are in need of a new one! As such, I have decided that a contest would be the most suitable way to acquire a new banner. We have quite a few talented members here and we've had some pretty good results from banner contests in the past. To top things off, this time there is a prize involved!

The Rules

1. The banner must blend well with our current Serenes Forest theme. There are no hard-defined width limit, but if you're not making a repeatable background banner, I'd recommend 800 pixels as the limit; however, there is a defined height limit of 150 pixels.
  2. The banner must include the site name.
  3. Fancy HTML, CSS, and Javascript banners, similar to what Wooster made for our old skin, are allowed and encouraged.
  4. Submissions should be sent to me via PM, no later than Jun 16th, 2013 at 11:59PM PST. If you're making a fancy banner as described above, you are required to give a preview of some sort.

Selecting A Winner

• There will be 2 rounds of voting.
  • The first round of voting will be done via the Member Feedback forum. This will take place during the week following submissions and end on June 23rd, 2013 at 11:59PM PST.
  • The top 30% and one administrative staff pick will move on to the final round of voting, done by the staff. This probably won't take more than a day or two to get a consensus.
  • The winner will announced and notified via PM to provide an address for THE PRIZE!

The Prize

• The winner will receive: A Copy of Fire Emblem: Awakening, in the region encoding of their choice! (See the exception below)
  • The max amount I am willing to spend on the game is the equivalent of about $50 USD! If the game costs more than that wherever you live, you will need to pick either the North American or European version of the game, or give the prize to someone else. From what I've seen from looking around, the North American, Japanese, UK, and other European retailers do cost less than this amount. However, if you live in a place like Brazil or Australia, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to get you a localized version of the game if one does exist.
  • If you enter the contest, you are entering with the understanding of the above.
  • You will need to provide an address within 72 hours of being notified, or you will forfeit the prize and the runner-up will receive it instead. Keep tabs on your PMs once the contest ends!
  • If you already have a copy of the game and do not wish to get another, we might be able to work out an alternative prize. An example of this would be an artbook, OST, or something else Fire Emblem related.

If you have any questions, just post in this thread. I apologize for the extensive rules about the region-coded game, but Nintendo was dumb and region-locked the 3DS. :/

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little surprised there haven't been any replies, but anyhow this sounds pretty cool. I thought of doing something like this on the FE12 translation website but it never went anywhere, haha. Hope to see some solid banner entries from people.

Sounds like a great idea ^^

BTW, if anyone needs some forest-y pics, I have some here.

Thanks, I'm considering trying to enter so these could help. ^^

This may be me being all stupid and such, but is it a banner for the main site or forum? Also, since I'm both new and really bad at noticing things, what was the old banner?

Edit: apparently can't read either.

Edited by Tarkenfire

It's for the forum. I mention an upgrade and our old banner not working... the only thing that fits that criteria is the forum banner.

It is very late at night. But, and I don't want to come off as condescending as I truly didn't notice, but there was a forum banner before the update?

if you want to give someone in AUS FE13 you can buy it in another region (in europe, that is) and have it sent to them?

Edited by Agro

I was just thinking there's a tiny flaw about the prize--since we're primarily a FE forum, I figured everyone who wanted Awakening probably already has a copy by now.

Maybe we could consider the Knights of Iris guidebook as an alternative prize? Its about 38 USD, but the shipping might be expensive depending on where you live (maybe you could have a rule where the winner must pay the excess shipping costs).

Awwwwww Vincent thanks for those pics~ Weeee a pretty Leanne pic

But I'm a slow worker and I haven't really worked on things like banners much so I probably wouldn't even finish on time and idk if I have enough experience to make one that looks good x3

I was just thinking there's a tiny flaw about the prize--since we're primarily a FE forum, I figured everyone who wanted Awakening probably already has a copy by now.

Maybe we could consider the Knights of Iris guidebook as an alternative prize? Its about 38 USD, but the shipping might be expensive depending on where you live (maybe you could have a rule where the winner must pay the excess shipping costs).

I'll look into how feasible it is later, but yeah; this could an alternative option.

For the Serenes Forest logo bit in the banner, do we need to include that manually or will it automatically appear over the banner? I wasn't quite sure how that worked x3

For the Serenes Forest logo bit in the banner, do we need to include that manually or will it automatically appear over the banner? I wasn't quite sure how that worked x3

I wasn't totally sure on this myself ^^;.

So you are entering as well Fre? Good luck to you! Lets have fun with this. :lol:

I wasn't totally sure on this myself ^^;.

So you are entering as well Fre? Good luck to you! Lets have fun with this. :lol:

I will try to =D

Thank you~ And to you too! ^o^

Let the games begin

Oh no!! It's the OldMan who's probably had decades of experience!!!

That's okay though, I've been having fun with this so far so I won't mind that I'll lose~

Just make it a generic $20 prize and think of it more as a commission? If anyone has a 3DS on this forum then they likely have FEA, and if they don't have a 3DS then FEA isn't really an incentive, unless they're interested in that knight book thingy which doesn't look interesting to me but could be reasonably interesting to someone else.

But $20 so much cheaper and perfect for anyone.

Oh no!! It's the OldMan who's probably had decades of experience!!!

That's okay though, I've been having fun with this so far so I won't mind that I'll lose~

Years of rusting, young girl

You have nothing to fear

Just make it a generic $20 prize and think of it more as a commission? If anyone has a 3DS on this forum then they likely have FEA, and if they don't have a 3DS then FEA isn't really an incentive, unless they're interested in that knight book thingy which doesn't look interesting to me but could be reasonably interesting to someone else.

He's willing to spend $50 (which isn't a whole lot of money when you work, really)

Why are you doing this

Edited by OldMan

$50 is a sizeable amount, but still affordable for me. (It would be more than just affordable, had I not been saddled with a bunch of debt by moving for my new job)

Although it did not seem so when I was younger, $20 is pocket change. That's not nearly enough of a prize for someone's effort in a banner contest, unless they just really like making banners and don't care about the prize.

I agree with this, except a GameStop or Best Buy gift card would feel like more of a prize to me.

I was going to enter this until I saw that the prize was just a copy of Awakening, of which I basically have two of already (digital on the FE themed 3DS and a hard copy).

Edited by Anacybele

Just making sure, is this gonna be the banner for the default Serenes Forest green? (I.e.are the alt theme banners to stay blank, take this contest's winner, or is something different altogether going to happen?)

No promises but I'm gonna give it a try (for sweet publicity).