How to obtain a Bolting

Knife

It's not that hard people. on 3-3, all you have to do is put Haar within two spaces of the sage. Have Heather just outside the sage's range, since they don't move until they've used their first bolting. You place two units behind Heather that have a higher Cn than her(This will only work if you transferred Celerity to the GM, which isn't too difficult) and push her while the thunder sage is trying in vain to kill Haar. Plop Heather next to the thunder sage and swipe the bolting he isn't using. Oh yeah, make sure to wipe out everyone in the area before attempting this. I know there are two dracoknights next to the thunder sage, but Heather should be able to avoid them. The same can be done for 3-E, except it's slightly more difficult. On 4-E-1, just silence the sage first, then proceed to obliterate Lekain's forces.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Getting a Bolting spell in RD is VERY difficult. This is probably to avoid people breezing through the Dragon chapter. To do this, you need:

-Raise Heather's strength up to 20. This is the hardest part, considering she has crap strength growth. This is because Bolting's weight is 19, and Heather needs to have one more strength than the Bolting's weight.

-Steal a Celerity from Tormod and give it to Ilyana before Part 1 is done.

-Transfer a Energy Drop with Ilyana for Heather if BEXP abusing takes to long (optional)

-Raise Haar a little, since you need him. Equip Celerity on him.

On the Part 3-2 (the chapter where the boss is a Wyvern Rider), there should be a Thunder Sage on the northeast side of the map. Bring Haar into his range (adjacent to him or two spaces away), since he doesn't move. After doing so, he'll simply attack Haar with Elthunder and make sure he has a Vulnerary or a Concoction to patch himself up. Clear the path to the Thunder Sage of all enemies and bring Heather next to the Thunder Sage to swipe his Bolting. Congrats you got a Bolting, one of the hardest weapons to obtain in this game. For the record, I accomplished all this on Normal mode. On Easy mode, it should be even easier.

Huge note: Be sure to unequip Haar.

I always thought that if I were to steal a Bolting, it'd probably be from that Chapter.

Thanks for the guide, though the Bolting Tome isn't exactly important imo. I prefer to let Kurthnaga mop up P4-E3.

^ Not going to work. Even if you do manage to disarm the Bolting Sage and get Sothe over there, what happens if someone gets put to sleep? And, that takes up a unit slot for a unit that can't kill anything else for the entire chapter. And if you can live with that, Elincia can't bring the sage down to 1 HP without BEXP abuse or favoritism. That sounds like it would work, but you'd have to Battle Save abuse to disarm the Sage.

Don't try to just contribute stuff that sounds true, just to get people to listen to you. I did it too, so I know. It gets annoying after a while.

^ Not going to work. Even if you do manage to disarm the Bolting Sage and get Sothe over there, what happens if someone gets put to sleep? And, that takes up a unit slot for a unit that can't kill anything else for the entire chapter. And if you can live with that, Elincia can't bring the sage down to 1 HP without BEXP abuse or favoritism. That sounds like it would work, but you'd have to Battle Save abuse to disarm the Sage.

Don't try to just contribute stuff that sounds true, just to get people to listen to you. I did it too, so I know. It gets annoying after a while.

The game allows you to battle save abuse, though - except in hard. So, technically, it's possible, and still in time for use in 4-3 (and it doesn't matter if the Bolting has only one use left or something either, since you could go wild and bless it anyway).

Naturally, there are other ways of disarming (lol flourish).

The game allows you to battle save abuse, though - except in hard. So, technically, it's possible, and still in time for use in 4-3 (and it doesn't matter if the Bolting has only one use left or something either, since you could go wild and bless it anyway).

Naturally, there are other ways of disarming (lol flourish).

Aww... I was hoping no one would catch that.

• 8 months later...

I did it without celerity but it was a hassle.

Use Ground units to Shove Heather so she can walk in elthunder range and then rescue the ground units with mounted units and canto them out of bolting range. Next turn I stole the tome.

(I has fun with the priest on the bottom of the map attacking him with a heather (who had mist rescued to prevent doubling). His staff heals him at the start of enemy phase giving a good exp boost. Since it was normal mode I just saved before a level-up and got her the needed strength.

I did it without celerity but it was a hassle.

Use Ground units to Shove Heather so she can walk in elthunder range and then rescue the ground units with mounted units and canto them out of bolting range. Next turn I stole the tome.

(I has fun with the priest on the bottom of the map attacking him with a heather (who had mist rescued to prevent doubling). His staff heals him at the start of enemy phase giving a good exp boost. Since it was normal mode I just saved before a level-up and got her the needed strength.

I don't get why people have trouble getting everyone over. Haar has 9 move. Start him here:

HXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXB

He can't be attacked. Have either Haar holding Heather or someone else when you end the previous turn.

Have the other unit walk over to Haar and "Give" Heather to him.

Have Haar beat it over to the sage:

_XXXXXXXXHh

XXXXXXXXXXB

The small h is because he "Drop"s Heather next to the Bolting sage. Since you should have drawn the dragonmasters west on the previous turn with Haar standing just outside the Bolting sage's range and other units standing just outside as well, nothing can attack Heather in this position except the sage. So since we don't want Haar dying on us and Elthunder has crit on him, give Haar a hand axe and have Heather unequipped. She has plenty of res and should have enough luck to not face crit, considering she needs 2 above base and needs 5 str above base, luck should proc plenty with a 75% growth. In fact, once Heather steals the bolting, Haar can pick her up and head west and then turn south the following turn and work on getting her down to the statue frag, etc for stealing those things and you can either completely ignore the sage from this point on or kill him with someone else.

So it's just a task of forcing 3 str on Heather and giving her a drop.

2-2, 2-E, 3-2. At the start of each chapter give her enough bexp to get her within one attack of a level. Reset abuse until getting str during the chapter, since it's more likely to work than bexp levels because those tend towards higher growths and str is second last for her.

No need for shove chains or celerity or letting Haar face crit. Works on HM since it doesn't need Battle save abusing, either, just reset abusing. It only doesn't work in the context of a tier list because reset abusing Heather's str is not permitted.

3-E is even easier. 8 levels and a crown and she will likely have 20 str without abuse. Reyson makes the task insanely easy as long as you send Ike and Mia with an A support up there with her and do a little guarding. Heather with a ranged weapon, Ike with Ragnell, Mia with a 1 range weapon (Sage attacks Mia, and so do all the nearby 2 range enemies). Position Heather adjacent to the sage, Mia 2 panels away (adjacent to Heather) and Ike also adjacent to Heather. Give shade to Heather and it's fine. Provoke probably isn't necessary on Mia or Ike. After Reyson vigors have Sigrun or someone pick him up and another unit take + drop so that you don't miss out on another Reyson vigor the following turn.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

But Heather is a great unit, and it's not boring at all to raise her. When I once did it, I never really thought I was gonna bring her to the endgame, but I did. And at level 20 she had better Avoid than Tibarn (while transformed!). She also got herself a 4th place in the unit record. (Really unexpected.)

It's definitely worth it to train Heather. Not only can you get the Bolting, but she has the best speed cap in the game (breaking 40)

Found another way to get the Bolting

The only things you need are Heather, someone with high skill, and Disarm.

If it works, the sage should have the Bolting equipped. If not, move someone with Provoke within 10 squares of him.

Attack, and if it works, Disarm should activate.

Heather can then steal the Bolting.

This works, but the Haar tip works better. Still, if you really want a Bolting but lost Haar in Part 2, try this.

A) how the fuck do you lose haar in part 2

B) Disarm's activation rate is wonky at best (if it's skl%, it never gets higher than 40%; skl/2 - 20%, etc)

C) heather still needs 20 strength to grab the damn thing

D) how the fuck do you lose haar in part 2

how do you lose haar in part 2

there's plenty of thunder mages in 2-E, though you'd have to be an idiot to let it get that far.

also, never equip him a javelin in 2-P...

B) Disarm's activation rate is wonky at best (if it's skl%, it never gets higher than 40%; skl/2 - 20%, etc)

Doesn't biorthyhm add to/subtract from it? Just wait until it's at best and then well... save abuse I guess

Edited by Folgore Blue

• 1 month later...

Damn, that's useful... But raising Heather's something I'm not looking forward to, especially since I never use Rogues for combat purposes. Except Sothe, because you need to or else he will be crap come endgame...

I would agree on that. And at first I though Heather was generally a great unit but he strength started to show lack of promise halfway through part 3.

Heh, wish I knew about this on my first runthrough. Only time I raised Heather, and she was my first 3rd tier unit in the game, and one of my best units come endgame.

Yeah me too and I doubt I would raise her seriously again unless I really needed to.

But Heather is a great unit, and it's not boring at all to raise her. When I once did it, I never really thought I was gonna bring her to the endgame, but I did. And at level 20 she had better Avoid than Tibarn (while transformed!). She also got herself a 4th place in the unit record. (Really unexpected.)

She's not that hard to train at first but her lack of strength as she goes on makes it so much harder she's redundant in combat and reduced to BEXP abuse if one should keep on using her and with a great deal of favoritism backing it up.

Sothe is going to suck in the endgame anyway.

Only if firstly he's RNG screwed and secondly, attention isn't met with him to fix any blemishes otherwise, he can become quite decent. (He never really crits like he used to for some odd reason...)

• 3 months later...

You don't need celerity on Heather.

- Don't bother doing this on hard mode, she earns 1-2 exp per hit it'll take FOREVER to boss/healer abuse ANYONE on hardmode

- Raise heather's str to 20 on the same level (healer abuse the Bishop to the south of the bolting mage)

- UNEQUIP Heather, and make sure Haar is not equipped with ranged weapon

- Rescue Heather with Haar

- Count 11 spaces any direction to the mage, have Haar stand there

- Fly the full 9 spaces towards the mage, your Haar should be 2 spaces away from the mage, drop Heather right in front of the mage

- Bolting has min distance of 3, so the mage has no choice but to attack using elthunder

- Elthunder can't kill anyone in one hit, so even your Haar will survive it, now steal the bolting and kill him with Haar