FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

I'm fine with all of your names, but just a handful of thoughts, if you care:

Never even consider Rutoga. It's not romanization, it's romaji. It's no more reasonable to use that than it is to have Roi, Makasu, Aren, Ransu, Woruto, and Bozu (just guessing on what their Japanese names are) be your starting party.

I have mixed feelings on Ogier. I like the pronunciation, but it just looks like Ogre to me :/ I personally fall on the Oujay/Ojay/whatever side of the fence, but I'm sure I'd get used to Ogier.

I don't particularly like Jerrot, but you don't really have any good options for him. You could kind of justify Jared or something, but that's a stretch and also FE10. I kind of want to suggest Jarret over Jerrot, but that sounds really nitpicky to me, and may not actually carry over the correct pronunciation.

For Arcardo - I'd just drop the o for Arcard. Arcardo kind of feels like a Rutoga style romanization to me.

Edit: Allen makes Alance not as good a name combination :( Also, are Allen and Alan actually pronounced differently?

Edited by Rewjeo

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus, just fix the script to be less awkward and keep the names to what people are used to. That's more than enough and you don't step on anyone's toes.

But I hate the names and I like stepping on peoples' toes.

typically you only get so many times you can "replace all" before feditor starts to break itself anyway (this is an unfixable "error" since it stems from feditor itself not the ROM)

might want to consider that when telling people to fix changes themselves ;/

Was not aware of this. Will probably use it a limited amount of times anyway, since I'll be combing over the whole script to begin with.

Well, all this talk of names is cool and all, but ultimately a very minor part of what I'm trying to do. At this point I'm pretty much decided on names, so let's change the topic.

Here's the first chapter text patch. Apply it to a clean ROM and hopefully it'll work. I've done the pre-chapter map text but not the opening scroll (it'll take some real work to sort that out), and the opening cinematic (the movie that plays if you don't press anything after powering on the game) seems to have translated text in the ROM but it doesn't appear to be implemented. I guess maybe we can worry about that later. I've started the chapter 2 pre-chapter map text but it's not "final" or anything.

7-8-2013 PATCH:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yndl2icdl9mam1x

FEATURING!:

Text formatted to fit as nice as possible into text boxes!

X6sIJCc.png

E-rated bandits!

IUf3n2U.png

Antiquated grammar patterns!

ihEh0Qr.png

Bald Mario explaining to Marcus the importance of money!

58tRfSw.png

Gratuitous (and correct!) use of the word "dastard"!

2TGP8UH.png

All comments are welcome, and I'm only human, so if there's an odd phrasing or a glitch I missed do let me know. Hopefully it's an improvement so far though.

The bandit screen looks kind of awkward and not very bandit-y; it almost looks like something a soldier would say.

The other screens look fine though.

And personally I'd change Allen's death quote. No FE game has included swearing, so seeing it here is just jarring.

As for the names, I'm not too bothered, but changing Klein because it's "incorrect romanisation" bothers me. Plus the name you're suggesting was considered for FE12's Kleine, although we dropped it because Kleine is an actual reference.

E-rated bandits!

It's like you're trying to make the patch terrible. I hope that you're not planning on changing Alan's death quote as well.

inappropriate swearing in a Nintendo game made the patch awesome? Can't please everybody, I guess.

As for the names, I'm not too bothered, but changing Klein because it's "incorrect romanisation" bothers me.

Klein is pronounced with a long "i" sound though, isn't it? Klein is certainly a real name, though, I won't deny that.

I was planning to redo FE6 during my LP of it. Would be part of the LP in general and would maybe release it publically. However, I'm interested in the post where OP mentioned getting FEditor to work without any complications. How did you manage to pull that off? It's literally the only thing holding me back.

I agree with Orange Crush. The names were one thing, but the unnecessary censorship is another. Please don't tell me you'll be doing that throughout the entire game.

I agree with Orange Crush. The names were one thing, but the unnecessary censorship is another. Please don't tell me you'll be doing that throughout the entire game.

Well to be fair, "kuso" was localized as "Gods!" in Awakening.

"Shit" in any FE seems... off.

Edited by shadowofchaos

ihEh0Qr.png

This is the thing that offends me the most. The bandits are annoying too, but this? Really? Eliwood never spoke like this in the original FE7 NoA translation, but I guess after 15ish years he transformed into ye olden english speaker eliwood? Makes no sense.

Also, looking at the support conversations. Damn, do you really need that many ellipses?

Edited by ManriKlok

ihEh0Qr.png

This is the thing that offends me the most. The bandits are annoying too, but this? Really? Eliwood never spoke like this in the original FE7 NoA translation, but I guess after 15ish years he transformed into ye olden english speaker eliwood? Makes no sense.

Also, looking at the support conversations. Damn, do you really need that many ellipses?

FE7 Eliwood said plenty of funny stuff, and the way his dialogue was written definitely wasn't typical modern English conversation. "Craven cur!" for example. Look at the FE7 script again and you may realize that Eliwood speaks a little funny there too. ...The grammar used in this screenshot really isn't that old or weird anyway. I certainly am not going to toss about thees or thous.

What's "annoying" about the bandits? Most of their speech is a little more colorful. I really just replaced "Dammit!" with "Curses!" in the posted screenshot.

HRIhv2N.png

The ellipses were there already. I could remove some when I get to the actual text insertion part of support conversations but for now blame the original writers.

Here's the thing: Japanese doesn't have swears like English does, so it's not censorship in the slightest. You can say words that mean roughly the same thing as swears, but they're not really vulgar. Rude, but no one would blink an eye if heard in a proper context. English isn't like this at all. So, in translating, the target audience is the important thing to consider in whether you use this kind of language. Fire Emblem (especially the GBA games) was always intended to be playable by a younger audience, so allowing a random "Shit!" in there is a very poor translation choice.

Edited by gringe

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, July 10, 2013 - Mistake
Hidden by Florete, July 10, 2013 - Mistake

EDIT: Mistakenly made this post and I don't see an option to delete the post. Sorry. >>

Edited by gringe

dude, just do whatever you want; people will flip a shit over anything

Yeah, I'm beginning to realize that, but at the same I time I do want some constructive criticism. Will try to ignore shit-flipping posts from now on though.

I won't post a new patch every day, but I'll try to post progress screenies as often as I can. Here's what I was able to get done today and some thoughts.

Millety's pissed. And I think she can actually be understood now!

n7I7FKZ.png

5978ghr.png

"Bah."

1tzmfjy.png

I think I made his motives a little more clear.

VtLN65M.png

There's obviously no Christian God in these GBA Fire Emblem games, so I'll try to make it fit in more with FE7 by referencing Elimine or the more generic "gods" instead when appropriate.

cLNsESs.png

I think this is a little more clear too.

Xo6WlLG.png

I also saw that the "Cont." needs to be changed to "Use" if the player is using an item and the "Conquer" should be changed to "Seize". And Elen's class should be changed "Sister" to "Cleric" since its the localized name for Cleric.

And the dialogue in the tutorial is kinda little messed up that the player phrase in Turn 1 had a Big Text Bubble that shown one line on top each time that needs to be fixed up like putting the other lines that were seperated to one line to three lines together and the end of the dialogue where Cecila speaks to Roy if he's defeated that the last word "Rest" has the S cutted up and the T and period is missing. I had recorded the whole tutorial to show some of the stuff that needs to be fixed up about it:

Edited by King Marth 64

Actually, I'm not sure how to change menu text. It doesn't appear to be within the Text Editor of FEditor. I guess that part will have to be done in the aforementioned "old-fashioned way."

I'll do the tutorial later but for now I'm just focusing on the main game.

Also, the scrolling intro apparently does NOT use text, despite this text being in the ROM. Will have to find a way to replace the graphics used here I guess.

I'm personally not a fan of Millety, bud. It's your patch and people have no rights to bitch at you because it's pretty damn rude, but I wouldn't change Miledy's name to something so...random.

Just try to finish the translation update the way you think instead of asking what everyone's opinion is. Otherwise, you'll never make any progress.

^Aye

If you need hacking help let me know. My skype is ballin1337. Honestly the best time to catch me is probably after 12AM EST. Keep in mind though I'm working on another translation patch, some other writing-heavy projects, and playing multiple games in Japanese, so I have only a small amount of time/effort/whatever to put forth to a project--all I'm really offering is to try to help you be able to edit text. There are much more qualified people out there but I just sort of like people who try to get things done instead of just asking them to be done so you've inspired at least me to put in a little effort to help you get going.

Also it should be noted I have to leave for work in about 10 minutes so I only skimmed like the first page of this thread XP