FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

HSIMnV8.png

I don't follow FEH at all, so I can't remember the context - some early popularity poll, I think?

I just remembered that I had this in my (fairly small) imgur archive. It's from 2016 or 2017, though, so there's a good chance that it got fixed, if Marduk Murdock found his way into Heroes at some point.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help.

I should have known that this very site would have a list of all currently known officially translated names.

https://serenesforest.net/binding-blade/general/name-chart/

There have been some inconsistencies with FE7 noted in the chart above but it seems they were corrected afterwards. I don't follow Heroes, but it seems like they've done a number of character popularity polls where these names may have been used even after the original poll.

In either case I took a look at the actually available/mentioned characters and made a spreadsheet. Using the spreadsheet I pulled out the below names. These, to my knowledge, are not officially mentioned or available in any form other than the character popularity polls. And given their popularity (or lack of it, rather) most of them are unlikely to get released any time soon. 😞

Spoiler

■Characters
Alen*
Lance
Bors
Elen
Dieck*
Wade
Lot
Saul
Dorothy
Zelot*
Trec*
Noah
Astolfo*
Barthe*
Ogier
Sin*
Gonzalez*
Cath
Melady*
Garret
Zeiss
Yoder
Galle*

Either way, I guess this would be the reference to use if I were to update the patch. The goal was always something as close to official as possible, so if there are official names I'd want to use them. They may change again, but then again, they may not! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(By the way I took a look at weapons as well and the Apocalypse tome and Saint's Staff also do not seem to appear or be mentioned anywhere.)

Edited by gringe

So, the COVID-19 situation has me bored and I decided to go and make that update. Only issue is I did it over my numbers patch instead of the base translation, and I'm not sure if I can easily make another translation-only patch without just redoing the changes. Only realized this after I did it. It only took a couple hours to make all the edits in FEditor so it shouldn't be impossible to do it again, but I won't update the first post with this version yet.

I have not tested it extensively (only a little) but it should not have the messed up Elffin/Fae animations that come from using FEditor with FE6 as I saved my notes from years ago and edited the hex code to fix it.

https://gofile.io/d/3pSc1w

Known issues: there are a couple of screens where Gwendolyn's name does not fit.

I didn't update ALL the names, which I will detail in the notes below.

Spoiler

■Update Content

・Character names and endgame titles* for characters that have been released or mentioned in FEH, plus names for Astolfo, Melady, and Galle

*Several translated endgame titles did not fit in the UI. Echidna's "Unyielding Idealist" was shortened to "Firm Idealist", and Igrene's "Nabata Protector" was changed to "Desert Guardian" to be the same as Hawkeye (this is what it was prior to the update as well)

Characters whose names have not been altered due to being what I see as cumbersome and also unreleased*: Allen/Alen, Deke/Dieck, Jerrot/Zelot, Treck/Trec, Barth/Barthe, Shin/Sin, Gonzales/Gonzalez

*"Thite" was previously changed to "Thea", so unreleased characters still seem liable to change if released in the future. However, it's anyone's guess when any of the above characters may be released if ever. I am not entirely opposed to updating the above names. I just did not take the plunge this time.

・Murgleis -> Mulagir

・Some minor dialogue corrections/changes

If anyone is willing to try it despite the numbers inclusion, I would appreciate any feedback.

I don't mean to make this my personal blog, but I thought a little bit about the official names we have. Indeed, they may change again, but the more questionable names are all based on the official Japanese spellings. This acknowledgement, in my eyes, elevates the priority the Japanese spellings have over "feasible" localizations that I've thought up. So I think I will go with them for now after all.

In other words, Zelot and Alen are top tier units.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:07 AM, gringe said:

I mainly had Heroes in mind, but I wasn’t aware there were inconsistencies with Awakening... What inconsistencies stand out in particular?

I guess the translators are not diligently using a translation memory or sticking to a term base. :[

There are two: eclipse pointed out Raquesis -> Lachesis, and there's also Orsin -> Osian. Nothing from Elibe has been retconned, though.

It is a relief to know there is no (notable) inconsistency for Elibe characters!

Also, regarding the Gwendolyn issue... FEBuilder is really cool! It even makes editing font tables a cinch.

https://imgur.com/h22zZvs

I went ahead and replaced the full-width alphabet (you know, the AESTHETIC alphabet) with thinner versions, so any longer names and titles from official sources can now easily fit into the UI.

FE7 and whatnot used abbreviations, so I will maintain abbreviations where they are functional. Not sure whether to edit "Binding Bld" or leave it abbreviated.

Thank you so much for making this patch! It improves the game a lot!

1 hour ago, gringe said:

Not sure whether to edit "Binding Bld" or leave it abbreviated.

Having not seen it yet, I vote to change it to Binding Blade; however, I could see how that would be too long for the displays and whatnot.

"Binding Blade" IS too long. If the Icon was an ironsword, then it would work, but the Icon of the weapon  is just bigger than that and covers half of the first B. Gringe could of course just use thinner fonts to make it fit. In that case, I would also do that in my patch on FEU that uses the 1.0 of this translation as a basis.(edit:for reference, I have binding blade there but edited the itemicon to not abstruct it) Btw, have fun with the FEH localisations being kinda bad. I mean, aside from stuff like "Leygance" and "eidyna" giving me a strong rutoga-vibe, the code of the pegasusknights of Ilia is to never break a promise instead of never betray your employer now. I never actually managed to get people to look into if that was already an issue in japanese or if it really is a localisation-thing,..but it is official.

Edited by German FE Nino

11 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

"Binding Blade" IS too long. If the Icon was an ironsword, then it would work, but the Icon of the weapon  is just bigger than that and covers half of the first B. Gringe could of course just use thinner fonts to make it fit. In that case, I would also do that in my patch on FEU that uses the 1.0 of this translation as a basis.(edit:for reference, I have binding blade there but edited the itemicon to not abstruct it) Btw, have fun with the FEH localisations being kinda bad. I mean, aside from stuff like "Leygance" and "eidyna" giving me a strong rutoga-vibe, the code of the pegasusknights of Ilia is to never break a promise instead of never betray your employer now. I never actually managed to get people to look into if that was already an issue in japanese or if it really is a localisation-thing,..but it is official.

Yeah, I would use the thinner font for “Binding Blade”.

What kind of hack have you made that’s based on mine, out of curiosity? I have my numbers patch which tbh is my preferred way of playing FE6 so if it’s something similar I might want to check it out.

The quality of the localization isn’t a huge concern to me, and I don’t think that how a name is rendered really has an effect on that. I know firsthand how difficult it is to translate without context, so I can sympathize. It’s unrealistic to ask whoever is localizing FEH to thoroughly play every game in the series for context of each quote. Chances are that FEH is one project of many they’re working on.

Names like Leygance and Eidyna though—that actually affects terminology in my patch. Where were these two mentioned, and are there other names like this that have been used?

6 minutes ago, gringe said:

Names like Leygance and Eidyna though—that actually affects terminology in my patch. Where were these two mentioned, and are there other names like this that have been used?

Leygance is appearently the name for the enemy that is called legance in this translation. Eidyna and Juteaux are the names for Edina and Jutes used in the FE6 lost lore-event. I think the name of the capital of etruria is also diffrent from this patch by like one letter, but I do not particularly remember that. I am not particularly angry at the translators themselves because they were just doing a Job(and like you said, they had no context), but it kinda makes me feel weird that we live in a world where companies rather pay people to literally just insert the romanisations of something and make everything noncehesive through it, instead of using 5 minutes of anyones time to copy perfectly fine fanmade renderings of names. 

Anyways, when it comes to my patch, it is basically just a quality of life-thing that came out of me having worked on a german translation at some point and wanting to change stuff and also fixing minor oversights in this translation. So it is more of a sidegrade to a rebalance like the numbers patch...and I even included a compatible version of it after someone asked for it(obviously linking to your official release in the same post, I ain't no thief). Though, one should probably stay away if even a bit of unfaithfulness is enough to make one want to avoid something.
Actually, that reminds me, you actually still have the "Thanks for the assist" from all the way back in the Rom unless you already fixed it. No idea why, but roy talking to Jerrot/Zelots after that guy already joined is a diffrent textindex. Same goes for lugh talking to chad outside the village after someone else got to it, though that one has no errors because that one is just identical to chad getting to the village.

1 hour ago, German FE Nino said:

Leygance is appearently the name for the enemy that is called legance in this translation. Eidyna and Juteaux are the names for Edina and Jutes used in the FE6 lost lore-event. I think the name of the capital of etruria is also diffrent from this patch by like one letter, but I do not particularly remember that.

Thanks! Is there a source to check these directly? I imagine it can’t be found in-game anymore. To sum it up what we have now...

Legance -> Leygance

Edina -> Eidyna*

Jutes -> Juteaux*

Aquleia -> ??? (Aquileia, perhaps, as this is the name of an actual Roman city)*

*Requires a graphic edit

This expands the scope of what I wanted to do, but should still be doable thanks to that beautiful FEBuilder.

I asked on the FEH board for some help but no one seems interested. Oh well. This seems to be an accurate resource...

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Name_chart/Fire_Emblem:_The_Binding_Blade

I was able to find other sources to back up the names of the locations as well, but I have found no mention of "Leygance". Was it perhaps a mistake?

In any case, the four new location names are in, and I made the graphics for their display on the world map. I was expecting it to be quite a task, but it actually wasn't so crazy tough. I could find no "x" in the lower case graphics, however, so I had to make one... I think it looks acceptable. "Armagh" as a graphic already exists with this spelling, but it does not seem to be used on the world map, so I just need to correct mentions of it in text. Easy.

With Jutes becoming "Juteaux"... I don't remember if the latest name for the evil tribe in Sacae was Djute or Djuto. If it's Djuto I guess I'll have to change it to Djute.

3 hours ago, gringe said:

"Armagh" as a graphic already exists with this spelling, but it does not seem to be used on the world map, so I just need to correct mentions of it in text. Easy.

Is this to futureproof the update? I am just wondering considering there is no real reason to change it currently. It just doubles your work if they decide to not go with the romanisation on that name later on.

Edited by German FE Nino

3 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

Is this to futureproof the update? I am just wondering considering there is no real reason to change it currently. It just doubles your work if they decide to not go with the romanisation on that name later on.

I thought I saw it mentioned here but it seems I was mistaken. Feverishly checking around late at night can do that I guess.

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/One_of_True_Sight

There’s a grand total of four instances of “Almar” in the text however so it won’t be difficult even if it is changed again.

Even if it’s unused, there is a graphic with an acceptable romanization within the game, so I see it as correcting an oversight.

Edited by gringe

On 5/16/2020 at 4:11 AM, gringe said:

It is a relief to know there is no (notable) inconsistency for Elibe characters!

Also, regarding the Gwendolyn issue... FEBuilder is really cool! It even makes editing font tables a cinch.

https://imgur.com/h22zZvs

I went ahead and replaced the full-width alphabet (you know, the AESTHETIC alphabet) with thinner versions, so any longer names and titles from official sources can now easily fit into the UI.

FE7 and whatnot used abbreviations, so I will maintain abbreviations where they are functional. Not sure whether to edit "Binding Bld" or leave it abbreviated.

That is very neat! May I ask you how you did it to replace these instances with a thinner font? I would very much like to know so I can do the same in a romhack

12 hours ago, Lyleclock said:

That is very neat! May I ask you how you did it to replace these instances with a thinner font? I would very much like to know so I can do the same in a romhack

In the font table in FE Builder, you can see how each symbol/character is displayed in game. Outside of Asia, we typically use what are called half-width characters, but the full-width alphabet is also present in the game data. The full-width lower case letters are unused (the full-width upper case letters are used for weapon skill levels and maybe some other things).

You can safely replace unused characters with others.

Basically I exported the half-width letters and edited them to be a pixel or two thinner in Photoshop, then imported them to replace the lower case full-width alphabet, then decreased the display width setting. If you want to use these thinner letters in game, when editing the text, you just have to write the letter you want to use in full-width.

Some letters, such as w, would be indistinguishable if they were made thinner, so I wasn’t able to do this for all letters, but enough to accomplish what I wanted.

Theoretically you could also replace Japanese characters or kanji with thin letters that have nothing to do with them, but this will make it difficult to find them if you want to edit them later.

You could also entirely replace the original half-width alphabet with thinner letters if you really wanted to.

Progress update.

I do have all the names and character titles updated with official names, using the thinner font as necessary and for the "Binding Blade" (it is the gosh darned title of the game after all, might as well show the full name), and graphics for the changed location names.

66g1TyA.pngxravTmQ.pngX68DVsz.png
Note that screenshots are from when I was testing the graphics. The text has since been corrected as well.
Q1rE1LQ.png
Battle of the thin-ass weapon names. Note that "Demonic breath" displays in full on the item screen. I am considering it being covered slightly here to be acceptable. I am not using thinner fonts for the capital letters right now. I could, but everything I want displays anyway and I think it looks fine. If anyone thinks "Binding Blade" with normal B's looks off do let me know your thoughts.

Going over the script, some of the experience I've gained over the last few years working in game localization has become apparent. I want to go over the script and revise slightly for clarity and brevity as necessary. I only expected to update proper nouns, but I've come this far. Might as well go all the way. I don't expect to change anywhere near as much as when we first made this patch, however.

30 minutes ago, gringe said:

Note that "Demonic breath" displays in full on the item screen.

Why not call it Demonbreath to display it in battle correctly too?  I mean, it is your patch, but the reason "Binding Blade" was changed to "Binding Bld" was that it was clipping badly afterall. It looks really ugly and unprofessional when something done in thin fonts does not fit.

2 minutes ago, German FE Nino said:

Why not call it Demonbreath to display it in battle correctly too?  I mean, it is your patch, but the reason "Binding Blade" was changed to "Binding Bld" was that it was clipping badly afterall. It looks really ugly and unprofessional when something done in thin fonts does not fit.

Because Demonbreath is not the official name. I'm trying to be as slavishly accurate to official names as possible, and "Demonic Breath" is one that we have. Abbreviating it to "Demonic brth" or something might work though.

Also, I believe "Binding Blade" originally clipped to the right as well? It was a while ago so I don't remember completely so I could be wrong here.

Glad to see you're still working on this patch Mr. Gringe! I'm still lurking about here from time to time, so if you need my help for anything a little more technical, fell free to ask!

Edited by tabachanker

16 hours ago, tabachanker said:

Glad to see you're still working on this patch Mr. Gringe! I'm still lurking about here from time to time, so if you need my help for anything a little more technical, fell free to ask!

Hey, great to see you're sill around too, tabachanker!

Once I get the script revision complete I will let you know.

Hello, Gringe! Before I say anything else, I want to thank you for making this splendid translation/localisation patch! I've really enjoyed it and it was thanks to it that I finished this game a couple years ago. <3
Now, I wanted to comment something on the "Gwendolyn" naming issue. I was thinking that maybe you could make characters closer to her, refer to her as "Gwen", and only change the name to the full "Gwendolyn" in the character profile and maybe in that one instance when she talks to herself. I feel that it could fit with other characters being somewhat overprotective of her and stuff, while simultaneously keeping the canon name AND not needing to change the spacing for like 95% of the dialog where she's involved. What do you think?

(Oh, it seems I misread something about the issue. Since you said the name didn't fit some screens I assumed it was support convos but I guess it was more of a menu issue with character limitations. Still, I would be glad if my previous suggestion could help you in any way after all.)

4 hours ago, MegaMarkLM said:

(Oh, it seems I misread something about the issue. Since you said the name didn't fit some screens I assumed it was support convos but I guess it was more of a menu issue with character limitations. Still, I would be glad if my previous suggestion could help you in any way after all.)

Yeah, it's just the unit select screen and ending screen that were an issue. I appreciate the suggestion though!