FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I can buy it as something he would say, considering he's a noble, but it was just funny to me how he came across as so big, strong, and forceful in his talk about SQUASHING Cecilia...and then he says something like "shan't". Seemed like there was a bit of a contrast there XD!

Anyways though, I still love Zephiel's lines here. It seems like he's not quite as "matter-of-fact" about things as he was in the original translation, which is definitely interesting to see...

Just one last nitpick though, Narshen's "I want you to hit them as hard as you can and soften them a bit" seems like should be "I want you to hit them as hard as you can and nuke them a bit" (nuke being a term for defrosting something in a microwave). It seems like you had to omit a word ("up") to fit it in the text box, but the first one seems someone awkward in flow because of that...or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Also, I've noticed that a few of the text boxes have a lot of empty space on the right side. That's not a flaw really, I'm just curious, were you not able to find anything else to put in there after localizing the dialogue, or do you just not believe in that sort of thing? Putting in extra lines when you find you've shortened the original dialogue by quite a bit?

Edited by FionordeQuester

"Nuke" comes from the radiation in microwaves and comparing it to a nuclear detonation. I don't think I'll be using words like "nuke" in the script.

Empty space on the right side occurs when different lengths of text are in the same set of dialogue. I could potentially format it a little better, but it doesn't seem worth it. I don't want to add lines just to fill in space.

Empty space on the right side occurs when different lengths of text are in the same set of dialogue. I could potentially format it a little better, but it doesn't seem worth it. I don't want to add lines just to fill in space.

despite what hacking tutorials suggest, i personally think it looks better if you fill in the first line of a speech bubble and make the second line much shorter instead of leaving them both at an equal length and having neither extend to the end of a speech bubble.

despite what hacking tutorials suggest, i personally think it looks better if you fill in the first line of a speech bubble and make the second line much shorter instead of leaving them both at an equal length and having neither extend to the end of a speech bubble.

Oh, I agree, for sure. It's just it's difficult to predict exactly how long a line of text will be when writing it due to the variable width of letters and characters so sometimes it's simpler just to even them out to ensure it doesn't overfill. I can work on formatting a little more later.

Oh, I agree, for sure. It's just it's difficult to predict exactly how long a line of text will be when writing it due to the variable width of letters and characters so sometimes it's simpler just to even them out to ensure it doesn't overfill. I can work on formatting a little more later.

i think you can try finding or making a font with characters that are similar in proportion to the FE7 font.

it's not the best solution, but in a pinch this text generator on FEPlanet should do the job. they also have this one, which includes text bubbles with variable widths. i get the feeling that both will be fairly awkward to consistently use in this role, but i guess they're better than nothing

Or just be like me, and playtest text so much that you can tell how long a sentence will be ingame just by looking at it. Also, if you write a really long sentence, like one that stretches from one end of the screen to the other, without going over both sides, you can use that as the approximate maximum length any sentence/line can be. A bit shorter is good too but I digress.

I'd help with this, but I'm already helping Arch format his text and I'm a bit busy with other projects. It's really not difficult though :B

it's not the best solution, but in a pinch this text generator on FEPlanet should do the job. they also have this one, which includes text bubbles with variable widths. i get the feeling that both will be fairly awkward to consistently use in this role, but i guess they're better than nothing

Yeah, I suppose. Thanks for the link anyway.

All right, so, for the next two days I'll be quite busy and after that I'll be in the US for a week! As such, I probably won't be able to make progress reports or participate in this thread very often. I'll most likely be working on the patch when I can however, though it may be at a slower pace.

I have a certain something in storage in the US that I'll take back with me to Japan. It should help greatly with rewriting the support conversations. What is it? I'll tell ya later. :Lilina:

the Scouring started out as mankind's attempts to learn how to bone (pre-manakete) dragons and they screwed it up so badly they turned it into a genocide to try and cover up their shame

in an act of remembrance of these dark days the Elimine Church has a rich history of the use of dragon dildos, though nobody remembers why anymore and frankly nobody cares they're too busy using them

I have found the item I was looking for. It is the official Fire Emblem 6/7 character guide. Which also happens to have the most boring cover ever conceived by man.

X1uWBCH.jpg

Why is this helpful, you ask? Half of the book is dedicated to transcriptions of the Japanese support conversations. It contains ALL of the conversations in FE6 (and FE7, not that that really matters for this but hey)

bluBh6v.jpg

This means I can easily refer to any conversation at any time. Hurrah for me. ヽ(‘ー`)ノ

1. It was maybe 30 dollars? But I got it like 8 years ago maybe. Don't think you can find it typically now. Maybe used on Amazon Japan or something.

2. About 300 pages. About half of it is the official color illustrations and profiles for the characters and the other half is support conversations.

3. It was published under the V Jump label, a manga magazine with a lot of game information and manga adaptations of games. It's definitely official.

psst so how bout them GRAPHICS

tumblr_inline_mrez26iOZ21qz4rgp.pngtumblr_inline_mrez2tjyl71qz4rgp.png

to literally everyone else here this is as trivial as they come but for me, managing to do something as tiny as this (or more importantly, doing it without making the entire thing explode) is absolutely fucking huge even though it was little more than swapping in the counterpart graphics from FE7 and anyone with half a brain has been doing so much more for years

just let me have my moment please :P

but yeah point is here's the dumped graphic from FE7; i haven't modified it at all and it works perfectly as it stands, so i guess intsys being lazy as hell with FE7 works in my favour

lFd9rxQ.png

here's a screencap of the location/offsets/image/whatever in NLZ-GBA (i guess it's a bit much but idk i like visual references)

g9P1ora.png

okay as you were this thread can go back to being a haven of actually competent hackers now maybe now i'll be slightly less of a useless piece of shit when it comes to my contributions here idk

Edited by bookofholsety

that you've successfully output a patch that doesn't explode on you within the first ten seconds is more than enough to qualify you as competent in my books, no matter how many giants whose shoulders you stand on

seriously i cocked up the title screen in my third test to the point where it froze up before loading it, typically like three seconds into loading the rom

i'd like to think that this level of instant failure is an achievement in and of itself

Hey Gringe, I just thought of a bit of an unorthodox idea. You know how this game cheap-shots you with reinforcements that appear without warning and charge you right away? What if, in our respective localizations, we actually altered the dialogue so that it WARNS you about what's coming? Like, for example, when Klein shows up, he'll be all "Is Tate coming in from the northwest like we planned?" or maybe Rutger or Clarine would say "c,mon, let's go, before more of Erik's men show up from the east!"?

Edited by FionordeQuester