Serenes Forest Theme Banner Contest Winner

Jyosua

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something...? It looks like entry 3 clearly got the most votes. How is it in last place?

The members just vote for which banners go into the final round of voting. And in that round the staff gets the final voting!

I would love to get advice! But he's not particularly interested in doing so~

I'll just try to take what I have learned so far, for now...

I'm a grumpy old man after all

But if you want to improve, do like those spriters: practice a lot and get evaluated by peers

Most feedback you'll get will be about rather obvious flaws, but it's amazing how often those tend to happen

... of course, I don't know if there's any community about making banners

I did it with wallpapers after all

Get some advice from TE. You might be able to win one of the other contests, since we'll be having similar ones for the other skins in the near future. I also think I'll modify the rules and selection process a bit. I learned some important things from this contest. XD

Experience! Edited by OldMan

Oh wow...that's really insulting. I feel sorry for the guy :/

This was a test, really. I wasn't sure how to structure the voting process, so I went with this to see how it turned out. While I like that TE's banner won, I don't like how the votes went pretty far against how the member vote went. I'm going to restructure this process for the next contest we have.

I would love to get advice! But he's not particularly interested in doing so~

I'll just try to take what I have learned so far, for now...

If my advice counts as anything, I think your banner became kind of poluted with the brushes and light effects that didn't seem to fit in. If you made it simpler and focused in a single desired effect, I think you could've won.

If my advice counts as anything, I think your banner became kind of poluted with the brushes and light effects that didn't seem to fit in. If you made it simpler and focused in a single desired effect, I think you could've won.

I actually agree with this. You got a little carried away; just pick a theme, throw some effects on, but keep it simple.

I'm also open for suggestions because that was the first banner I ever made, and I'm kinda inexperienced overall. I think I tried too hard to keep the harmony in my banner, so it became dull because of this.

Your banner is #8, I presume?

To be fair, it looks very unremarkable. It's like you've slapped a simple title on the site banner's image and called it a day.

Yes, I realize you applied some effects in the background and fiddled with the title's blending options. But there's a difference between a clean look and looking lazy. (Focus on looking: sometimes you can have an insight and make an incredibly effective banner in minutes, and sometimes you can work for hours and go nowhere.)

It also doesn't blend into the header like I asked, while TheEnd's does. :V

I didn't know you asked for such a thing. xP

I'm glad you like mine so much Ana, but I disagree anyway... I've never really worked with banners before so I wasn't really sure what I should have been looking for (despite seeing the other SF banners before~) but after comparing to other entries and hearing the critique that's been given about mine, it looks like my banner really isn't banner material. For now this competition will just be a learning experience for me~

Well, I still think yours is absolutely stunning. But each to their own, of course. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Congratulations to the winners!

Wow, did not expect #5 to win at all ahaha--although #5's really my 1st choice--because #3 was really popular XD

Hnng, it really is so pretty. Love how it's designed and the choice of fonts, saturations, and colors. Really, good job, TE!