The Royal Sprite Topic of Myself

MarioKirby

FOR THOSE OF YOU STOPPING BY FROM THE FUTURE TO TAKE A GANDER:

Some of the images in the first few pages, back when I still used Imageshack for uploading, are now broken.

HOWEVER, FRET NOT!

If you wish to view them, right-click on the image, click "Inspect Element", then right-click on the image link that pops up on the right and click "Open in New Tab." As far as I have tested, this allows you to view the image.

If it doesn't work, then you're outta luck, I suppose. *Shrug*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing as how my old sprite topic is deader than a doornail, I feel like starting over, so to speak, with a clean slate.

This time around, though, I'll be posting less exclusively FE sprites and more other styles of sprites.

Anyway, sprites, in no particular order:

nzb.png

Part of a series of sprites in a custom style where I sprite 100 of my favorite characters from my favorites games and franchises, with the stipulation of one character per game. Let's see if I can actually do it.

9j1.pngk9oj.pngz93.png

A few FE-battle-styled sprites that I've made some time in the past year or so.

dzxu.png

A few Nintendo characters in ML3 style.

1vo.pngiuo.png

The result of boredom and random scribbles in Paint.

ylxc.png

Another boredom piece from a while back. Also an experiment with limited colors on the mushroom; the grassy knoll came later.

c3c.png

A custom style inspired by 8-bit graphics, though itself isn't.

And a few maps:

2vzb.png

6s5.png

u7kr.png

z5py.png

k4jb.png

That should be enough for now. Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Edited by MarioKirby

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are some snazzy sprites. I like the different styles and of them Mario and Link (ML3 style) are probably my favorites.

The trend I'm noticing with your maps is that they feel very cramped (but well made).

That's some pretty cool stuff! Really digging the variance and everything overall on the sprite side, although the scribbles/boredom pieces don't seem as clean as the Nintendo pieces (that's probably obvious to you).

Looking forward to seeing more of your 100-character challenge whether or not you get to 100.

Those are some snazzy sprites. I like the different styles and of them Mario and Link (ML3 style) are probably my favorites.

The trend I'm noticing with your maps is that they feel very cramped (but well made).

Thank you! Though I have dabbled in a lot of sprite styles, I still struggle a bit in trying to adhere to the style, so to hear that they fit is encouraging.

Well, at least they're well made! ^_^' I will keep that in mind when working on future maps.

i like your maps but they seem all over the place and not very structured. witch is a good thing a guess if you want it to be like that.

To be fair, when I map, I don't really consider then in a gaming sense, just creatively. Duly noted for the future, though.

That's some pretty cool stuff! Really digging the variance and everything overall on the sprite side, although the scribbles/boredom pieces don't seem as clean as the Nintendo pieces (that's probably obvious to you).

Looking forward to seeing more of your 100-character challenge whether or not you get to 100.

With the boredom pieces, that's part of the risk in creating your own style, though I'll keep that in mind if I decide to make more of them.

Wish me luck. I think the biggest hurdle is going to be making sure the sizes of the characters are correct.

I like those maps, but they look like they'd be a pain to play on.

Like I said to ShinyPichu, I mostly map from a creative stance rather than gameplay stance. I will keep that in mind as well.

Something new:

6okz.png

An original enemy that I had thought up a few years back, sprited in Kirby Advance style. The yellow one is Greep, and the gray one is Noct. How the duo would work is that Greep would be located in an inaccessible alcove, where he would swing Noct with a rope that is tied around the latter. The two could be defeated by either attacking Noct directly (must be an attack; the rope prevents Noct from being inhaled) or severing the rope.

Anyway, Kirby and Cupie are there for reference.

7bg.png

Something different. I was originally trying to make an updated counterpart to the style used in The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, but ended up just making it a custom style. Main sprite to focus on is the one on the left. I also would like comments on the current palette.

Finished up the most recent sprite I made:

scx5.png

'Tis the one on the far-right. Also with palette. I would like critique on both, as I may continue with the style.

Finished up the most recent sprite I made:

scx5.png

'Tis the one on the far-right. Also with palette. I would like critique on both, as I may continue with the style.

He's super adorable! I'd love to see more of this style. :)

• 3 weeks later...

O hey, more Link stuff:

rdf5.png

Tried a minor shading change on Link's torso (seen on the right), plus an attempt at the iron shield. There are two variations of the shield: the one on the left is more saturated (better reflecting official art); the one on the right is less saturated (which blends the colors better, IMO).

EDIT: Tried changing up the perspective on the shields. Does it look better, or not?

Edited by MarioKirby

• 2 weeks later...

>Restarts sprite topic

>Forgets about it in a month or so

So I caught a bit of an art block after coming back from a road trip my family took, and I was wanting to break out of it.

37i8.png

So I whipped this up to fight it. Still a WIP, though. It's part of that character challenge I imposed upon myself ... kinda. Kirby here will be used as a size reference for future sprites. But I felt like I was doing a really good job with the shading, so I decided to share it.

• 2 months later...

I'm so good at keeping my topics up to date.

wa0v.png

Completely random sprite portrait for practice. Eh.

On another whim, decided to try and give the dude a body:

0ag5.png

Pretty sure the proportions are off, even for the perspective. Really want some critique (or better, examples) on this.

Edited by MarioKirby

• 1 month later...

So, I've got an idea percolating in my head.

qisf.png

A WIP for a character concept. She's a mage-type character who works with a axe-wielding town guard in a Zelda-inspired action-adventure, being the puzzle-solver to his monster-slaying.

Anyway, I really want comments and critique on this, mainly the proportions.

v8tc.png

Finished shading up Mr. Combagonist (sprite on the right), but then I though he looked too bland, so I added some armor bits to his attire (sprite in the middle).

bhph.png

Also decided to give Miss. Puzzlegonist a casting tool; in her case, a staff.

The guy reminds me of Gandolf.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Gandolf

...Well, I can certainly see why you would say that. To be fair, it truly is a coincidence, though if it is an issue, then I can see if I can't change his appearance a tad.

Edit:

krob.png

This a step in the right direction?

Edited by MarioKirby

• 5 months later...