The Royal Sprite Topic of Myself

MarioKirby

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to post so many times in a row, but...

KTVz60Q.png

Redo on Luigi; sacrificed the pose for something less creative but better looking.

Also, would anyone happen to know where I could reliably find an NES color palette?

So, luckily, I was able to find an NES palette online.

0RxWxb6.png

And here's the result. I have been wanting to do more 8-bit sprites so I can practice animations more, but I didn't want to use an existing character, so I made my own.

Also, there's a bunch of other palette ideas in the bottom row. Feedback on what looks good and what doesn't would be helpful.

Edited by MarioKirby

I like the darker/more saturated palettes you've got going. Some of the lighter stuff doesn't blend together too well (3rd one) or have enough contrast to give the outfit definition (4th, 6th, and 8th).

The one the character is already wearing is probably my favorite of the bunch.

ayWdH.gif

May have stitched it together wrong but here's one.

I used to use iDraw3 (basic Paint app with frame animation support) for testing small animations. It doesn't export gifs though and you work with all the sprites on the same sheet/layer. GraphicsGale's free edition will let you run animations in the application but you'll need to pay $20 for the gif export functionality.

Edited by Lenh

• 2 months later...

Sorry for no content in a while, peoples.

M9ljaMC.png

There was a tend on another message board I kinda attend of turning 8-bit and 16-bit sprites into larger version. This is my attempt at following.

1aaKnJJ.png

A random update to this dude I made a long while back. Nothing special.

VZdajxx.png

Practice WIP. Trying to teach myself facial anatomy. ...Not doing a great job, to be honest.

Mario's new hat is looking nice~ ^^

The last guy, are you referencing anything? It looks right now like the nose/mouth/eyes/ears are suggesting different head angles (and I'm not sure which you're wanting to go with). It's not bad for a first go, though.

Mario's new hat is looking nice~ ^^

The last guy, are you referencing anything? It looks right now like the nose/mouth/eyes/ears are suggesting different head angles (and I'm not sure which you're wanting to go with). It's not bad for a first go, though.

Thank you~!

Nope, no reference, and that's more than likely my problem. Then again, I first started this like...a year or two ago, when I really didn't know what I was doing. Not having any formal teaching doesn't help, either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Remember those protagonist ideas from a couple pages back?

lTUCSLv.png

Tried doing some more functional sprites for this character. This is actually a second attempt, but the first never really went anywhere and didn't look too good. Main focus is the one in the top-left corner, but I made so many small variations in the process that I wanted opinions on everything.

Face on the body sprites looks best. Others give the sprite a strange feel.

Of the bodies I think the bottom left with the purple trim gives the sprite some much need color and vibrance to the rest of its outfits basic black, white, brown colors.

...could maybe throw that belt on there as well, but might be too busy.

...cool stuff, nice seeing some non-FE sprites on here too! ;)

The Mario stuff is especially some nice work. The style you have made has an enjoyable quality and a nicely different feel from the mainstream Mario sprites while still being easily recognized.

• 5 weeks later...

Something new:

VcKLdga.png

Another concept of mine that won't move past that. An idea for a standard platforming protagonist. I really like how it turned out. Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Looks perfect for a platformer lead ^^~ (Really fond of the design and going against the typical build for a platforming char, and her(?) design's formatted in a way that it looks like she can do just about anything / is a relatively easy animation base. aw you're not going anywhere more with it ;w;)

Guess on the crit side, the broken outline seems a little distracting on zoom (it's only on a few spots of brown on her ears, you haven't really used selout anywhere else so it seems odd to me). Maybe you could add an extra color to selout the entire piece (not sure if it'd look better, kind of fond how black unites everything currently but just a thought).

Glad to see you're still around~

Edited by Lenh

Looks perfect for a platformer lead ^^~ (Really fond of the design and going against the typical build for a platforming char, and her(?) design's formatted in a way that it looks like she can do just about anything / is a relatively easy animation base. aw you're not going anywhere more with it ;w;)

Guess on the crit side, the broken outline seems a little distracting on zoom (it's only on a few spots of brown on her ears, you haven't really used selout anywhere else so it seems odd to me). Maybe you could add an extra color to selout the entire piece (not sure if it'd look better, kind of fond how black unites everything currently but just a thought).

Glad to see you're still around~

Thank you! Yeah, I feel like this is one of the few times where my idea transfers to the sprite almost exactly. And yes, she's female.

Well, let me rephrase: I would like to do more with it, but my given track record and lack of skill in animating inhibits that.

I'll change the selout bits to black. It was a means to give the ears a bit better shape, but it's negligible from regular view.

Derp, double post.

dkA8EQW.png

Small fix-ups that have been mentioned.

llXF6Mg.png

And some more work with this concept. More poses and some little fixes, along with a rival character for Miss Evelyn.

No, the rival's a dude.

Speaking of...

WDOobfd.png

I've made an "enemy" concept, slight edit to the walking animation, both with and w/o hands, and some other general touch-ups to ensure smooth viewing pleasure.

Very nice. You have a pleasing to the eye shading style. Is that a bow in the Rival's hand? ...I only realized what it was seeing the individual bow sprite.

Perhaps a different angle, like somewhere between 32-45 to 90 would look less hidden, more obvious as to what it is.

BTW, is the main character a girl or boy? Design has me thinking female, which is why I wondered if the rival was female as well. Are they... Shooting something from their hand? Punching? Not quite clear to me atm, but maybe would be if I saw it in action.

It would be cool seeing someone animate these.

BTW, checked out the old first post. Some cool stuff there. I kinda liked your redesign of the soldier. Definitely better than the original! XD