The Royal Sprite Topic of Myself

MarioKirby

So, I've been trying to get into a spriting mood again.

97vp08f.png

Result. Really experimenting with the shading on this one; trying for a comic-book look. The gun's kinda blah, though.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting... as said, gun looks a little wonky, shading under the arm on the vest/cloth... maybe less thick under the arm as it makes it currently look like a completely seperate piece of clothing rather than part of the rest of the vest.

Comic book shading eh? I would reference Comix Zone or whatever that genesis game was for some more examples of that? Love the creative/different stuff you come up with! :D

• 2 weeks later...

axY0h8p.png

So, I got the sudden urge to do something Fire Emblem-related, so I decided to start touching up my first ever splice. I've only worked on the head so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly making progress~

3OiZAZ5.png

Just worked on fixing the collar. Still a little stumped about what to do with the rest of the body, though, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

• 3 weeks later...

So, while working on the mug in the previous post, I started looking back through a lot of my splice mugs that I had made some progress in fixing up. However, I stopped upon a particularly old piece that I suddenly got an urging to work on.

So, I did, and here's the current progress:

[spoiler=You'd be surprised...]

hjawTbB.png

Yeah, I think this is one of the first custom mugs that I had ever made, so I feel like it could use a fresh fix-up. I really have only worked on part of Mario's face and a tiny bit on the hat.

From left to right: Original; Touch-up (FE8 palette); Touch-up (FE7 palette); Touch-up with white changed for skintones (FE7 palette)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, these are really good!!! Also, are you going to continue the spriting your favorite 100 characters thing? It was interesting to follow...

Thank you! I might...

XxwgCRT.png

In fact, more than might. Gonna try a different style for this, something a bit more readable. Obviously still a WIP.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress~!

BpJGN8W.png

Going in a different direction than the first time. Still obviously got work to do, not to mention finishing up some other details not present.

0vQ869Y.png

Nickt's work on converting FE9 mugs to GBA style inspired me to do some touch-ups to my own Ike mugs. The first two on the bottom row are attempts at fitting them into 15 colors (with FE8 and FE7 varieties), along with some other changes. The bottom-right is an attempt at smiling.

Rather boring post:

eIwNv0E.png

I've started working on a new mug, but before getting too far in, I decided to make a color palette and tested it on Oswin. Not much.

0vQ869Y.png

Nickt's work on converting FE9 mugs to GBA style inspired me to do some touch-ups to my own Ike mugs. The first two on the bottom row are attempts at fitting them into 15 colors (with FE8 and FE7 varieties), along with some other changes. The bottom-right is an attempt at smiling.

i just saw this looool

great improvement, i love it. looks a lot like por ike :3

^whatever char said, plus the nose is kinda massive. Even characters with big noses don't have a nose that big. also because if u scale the face accordingly to dat, it's gun b a p damn huge face

0vQ869Y.png

This Ike is great

• 2 weeks later...

690b76d2f05e594130ca67613ad634f7.png

idefk messed with a few things, but namely just kind of shuffled pieces around a little; eye feels weird because it's more a 3/4ths view eye than a profile eye, which could probs be fixed; also brow/hairline could be fixed, since i wasn't really messing with that aside from making it bigger (seriously, foreheads are big things that people vastly underestimate), and the jaw could maybe be widened depending on his jaw shape. i also kind of feel like his chin is super pointy compared to the original oswin one, but that could just be your design choice. idefk it's late and i have to drive like 4 hours tomorrow so i don't have time to do a more thorough explanation/fix have fun

Edited by Sphalerite

• 3 weeks later...

Something new:

s1i4r2L.png

Tried doing a semi-top-down style kinda reminiscent of the 32-bit Castlevania styles. Still trying to make something creative for the torso-down.

Also, I have been working on the recent mug some more using more of the critique given, but I want to work a bit more on it before showing it off.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

kP7DvDb.png

Tried doing more with this style, but I was getting stuck on the arm designs, so I decided to muscle out some actual arms to make sure they look right in the finished product.

Also, the breastplate changed a bit, but that's not important, really.