Microsoft thought they owned Donkey Kong

Jedi

Given the state microsoft is in with the DRM thingy (Xbox one in general actually) I'm not really too surprised.

I suppose you are right. Still doesn't make this any less hilarious however.

Man I remember Rare's days on the N64. I miss Perfect Dark and their other stuff..

That Microsoft staff member really thought they'd be able to buy the rights to Donkey Kong (one of the first prominent video game characters Nintendo created and one of the most recognized video game character names) by buying Rare, when Nintendo developed plenty of Donkey Kong games (like the Donkey Kong trilogy for the arcades) before Rare was put on contract to make the Donkey Kong Country games? That's really ridiculous to think that. Companies just don't go selling the rights to their most cherished video game franchises, especially the ones that skyrocketed their profits and popularity. I mean, Microsoft wouldn't let Halo and Master Chief fall out of their hands for all the money in the world (or maybe they would since they're quite obsessed with making money and may not see the potential long term damage that would cause them. I don't think I want to know how willing they are to sell Halo, actually).

Either way, I'm very glad Microsoft doesn't own Donkey Kong. I imagine them either abandoning the series and characters and letting them rot barring one or two game releases, abandoning the series roots and changing around the formula and tone of the game way too much, or even both. They did that to a lot of Rare's franchises, and supposedly they're not even allowed to touch their own franchises anymore unless Microsoft lets them. A lot of Rare's former staff that made the N64 games have left since they wanted the freedom they had back when developing games for Nintendo during the SNES-Early GC eras.

Wat.

I wonder if this is related to why the DKC games were pulled off of the virtual console?

That is a disheartening possibility. Since the original DKC games were made by Rare, who are now owned by Microsoft... that might explain it. Luckily, the IP itself will always belong to Nintendo.

Sort of misleading, as it was only a clueless executive uninvolved with the buyout who thought this. But still funny that anyone involved in the industry would think that one of Nintendo's first IPs would be sold off just because the recent games were not done in-house.