Shining Force RoDD (GBA)- The First Draft!

Refa

TORASU

ALL THE HEALS ARE BELONG TO ME

BUT APPARENTLY GONG AND NARSHA CAN HEAL SO I WILL TAKE ROBOT INSTEAD

Edited by BamBamMan

So I'm back! Sorry for being so confusing Walhart. Anyways, here is the turn order!

Haha don't worry about it! It was probably my fault anyway since I've never drafted before and was late to signup. Still gonna watch this because why not.

It's probably for the better anyway since I'm already in the middle of 2 FE playlogs

Whoever picked Domingo better not let me down.

I'm done cluttering your topic now, you guys go do your thing!

Edited by Walhart

Being the well informed gentleman that I am, I'm taking it upon myself to review these teams! Apparently playing the game is a requirement to that, but who cared about the rules anyway

1. Refa- Luke, Zyle, Gong, Arthur, Pelle, Bleu, Jogurt
Unfortunately, since Refa didn't draft Levin, Arthur doesn't have Forseti. However, I'm sure he'll be just as capable with the Jogurt tome! Luke makes an excellent Curate, and every team needs a good Gong. Refa loses points for not being able to spell the word "blue", I mean come on! It's four letters! Not that hard! Pelle costs too many turns to be worth it because I'm spending all of them wondering if you pronounce it as "pell" or "pell ay".
2. Ice Sage- Gort, Hanzou, Mae, Anri, Zuika, Alef, Lyle
To start off, I can see this team has a lot of wannabe FE characters! In fact, 4/7 are clearly shoddy rip offs of some brilliant FE characters! Mae is quite clearly May from Gaiden, Lyle is Kyle from Sacred Stoners, Alef is Aless except he isn't because it's ARES now and Gort is the almighty GORDIN. Unfortuantely, the immigration police will catch up with them soon enough, meaning that his team's gonna be pretty undermanned. The rest of his team contains Zuika (who I'm assuming is a genderbent Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender,) Anri, the original Falchion dude guy person, (who seems to have developed time travel - that should save some turns) and Hanzou. I can't think of anything witty to say about
3. BBM- Earnest, Domingo, Kokichi, Amon, Khris, Musashi, Adam
First off, BBM made massive mistakes while drafting this team. The first one was drafting Shin. Because Shin sucks. I'm fairly sure that Amon was Kay's character in Shining Force Mafia, so unfortunately Amon won't be avaliable at the weekends! Tough luck! Earnest is too... earnest to be a good unit, and Musashi sounds like mustachey. Which is now a word. Domingo and Kokichi are pretty solid though, everyone knows units with stupidly complicated names turn out to be master magicians or some shit. Khris is the team resident trap, because I assumed that she was male earlier! Oops!
4. SRC- Tao, Balbaroy, Vankar, Ken, Diane, Guntz, Torasu
First off, Tao and Ken make up the 3 letter name club. While this doesn't have any explicit effects, it makes SRC's team look much more official than the other teams (especially Ice's band of illegal immigrants.) Vankar sounds like... banker. Maybe SRC will be rich too? Guntz will probably lose it all for you though, since his name makes him sound like an idiot. Balbaroy is probably some noble dude travellling around in the name of justice or something. His base stats are almost as high as L'Arachel's, look out world! Diane and Torasu both cost turns with Warpskip, so they're both awful.
OVERALL VERDICT:
Refa: Got screwed over by not drafting the right fathers.
Ice: Drafted too many illegal immigrants.
BBM: Has a highly unreliable team, mostly due to it complaining Shin.
SRC: Is the most official looking team. Would probably all arrive in tuxedos.

BEST REVIEWS EVER

I think the JOGURT tome might give me an unfair edge tbqh.

EDIT This post never existed. Carry on, citizen.

Edited by Refa

Chapter 1 Map 1 4/4

Ken DOUBLED BOSS, enabling Max to steal 3 kills total.

Map 2 13/17

Max GOT SURROUNDED for like 2-3 turns. :/ Mountains are terrible people.

Map 3 8/25

Max rushes to castle, but dumb dwarves stall him along the way. Ken doofed it up. :(

Map 4 10/35

Max solos right side with DEMIBUSTER skills. The others are able to handle the left with some help from a good old Tao BLAZE 2 NUKE. Miraculously, no giant bats made my units sleep on my 2nd attempt!

1. Refa- Luke, Zyle, Gong, Arthur, Pelle, Bleu, Jogurt

Luke's good and bulky; Zylo is pretty much Max minus the magic but with terrain crossing and never needing to upgrade his weapon. Gong is bro but levels slowly and won't get to aura in a reasonable amount of time. Pelle falls a bit later on, but is pretty solid until lategame. Bleu is the EST. Jogurt is the best character.

2. Ice Sage- Gort, Hanzou, Mae, Anri, Zuika, Alef, Lyle

Gort is AX BATTLER. Hanzou comes late and might not get desoul 2, but he's solid. How did Mae go third pick? She's pretty ridiculous. Anri is great but gets for a long time. Zuika is bro, but he's like a def screwed Resolve!Edward at times. [iirc, the "resolve" is gotten on promotion to TERMINATOR] Alef is pretty good and is probobly th eonly mage to get bolt in a reasonable timeframe. Lyle is solid.

3. BBM- Earnest, Domingo, Kokichi, Amon, Khris, Musashi, Adam

Probobly the best time for ltc.

Earnest is a solid unit and grows really bulky later on. Shame he's a little slow for awhile.

Domingo is the creature featured in every tentacle rape scene. He also never dies to anything.

Kokichi+Amon is ridiculous. Kokichi has FLIGHT+SPEARS and growths decently. Amon turns bulky later on and might be the better bird in the late midgame-lategame. Khris is solid and gets aura [unlike lowe] and gets higher str. Musashi is like fe6 Zeiss. But his katana might be better on amon. [shame, since he can't use anything but his katana until he promotes iirc.] Adam is a robot who can't damage anything and gets 2HKO'd by staff attacks. [THe opposite of Shin.]

4. SRC- Tao, Balbaroy, Vankar, Ken, Diane, Guntz, Torasu

Solid, but might falter lategame.

Aura!Torasu is crazy good though and VANKAR is kinda crazy lategame with all the +5/+6 statgains he'll probobly get.

Diane isn't as anemic as hans.

• 2 years later...

Chapter 1

Units: Max, Luke, Hans, Lowe, Gong

Battle 1- 3/3 Turns

Standard boss rush procedure, wherein I cleared out only the enemies that were directly impeding my progress. Luke got a counterattack on a goblin but he also died, forcing me to tagteam the boss with Max, Lowe (yeah, Lowe helped fight...good shit), and Hans. It's a shame Max doesn't start out with a Middle Sword like he did in the original, because Lowe would have been entirely unnecessary if that were the case. Regardless, Max did end up delivering the finishing blow, so I got a useless card. The graphics in this game are ugly as sin.

Name Rank      Level HP MP ATK DEF AGI MOV RES Equipment
Max  Swordsman 1.64  12 8  12  6   5   6   5%  Short Sword, Steel Ring
Hans Archer    1.84  15 0  15  4   7   5   0%  Wooden Arrow
Luke Warrior   1.74  11 0  15  7   5   6   0%  Short Sword
Lowe Healer    1.18  12 13 11  4   6   5   15% Wooden Staff
Gong Monk      1.71  11 9  11  5   7   6   5%  N/A
Battle 2- 10/13 turns
Aaaaarrgh! They made this one a lot more manageable and speedy than the original, that's for sure (less mountainous terrain to slow you down). Punching through the first goblin brigade without slowing down significantly was tough, but doable (it involved using Hans as a meatshield and my primary means of offense...I'm going to be so screwed later on). The second group of enemies advanced far too slowly to pose much of a problem, as I had Max simply rush past them with little consequence (with the rest of my units staying behind to mop them up). Max's combat prowess was depressingly mediocre against the Dark Dwarf guarding...Guardiana, so I'm just glad that Max got there and had a chance to book it out of there before the Rune Knights showed up to fuck his shit. Discretion is the better part of valor and all that, eh? Also people actually leveled up! Of course, most of those levels sucked except for Max's...
Max  Swordsman 2.32  15 9  15  8   6   6   6%  Dwarfbuster, Steel Ring
Hans Archer    3.36  15 0  15  5   10  5   0%  Wooden Arrow, Steel Ring
Luke Warrior   3.30  13 0  17  9   6   6   0%  Hand Axe
Lowe Healer    2.08  12 15 11  4   6   5   16% Wooden Staff
Gong Monk      2.68  12 9  12  6   7   6   5%  N/A

Battle 3- 7/20 turns

This one was incredibly easy? It was much harder in the Genesis original, where the AI was surprisingly more aggressive than it was here (usually it's the other way around). Max just rushed and bustered everything to death, getting some ridiculous levels in the process (he snowballs into the fucking ridiculous territory a lot earlier in the remake). I'd say more but there was really no other strategy than rush and get everyone else as much EXP as I could in the process (and by that, I mean while also being lazy as fuck). I should probably use those statboosters sometime. In fact, I did just that. I gave Hans and Gong a Power Potion, Hans and Lowe a Defense Potion, and Gong the Life Loaf (rigged +2 bonuses obviously).

Max  Swordsman 4.06  18 10 22  11  10  6   9%  Dwarfbuster, Rousing Ring
Hans Archer    4.34  16 0  17  7   10  5   0%  Wooden Arrow, Steel Ring
Luke Warrior   3.65  13 0  17  9   6   6   0%  Dwarfbuster
Lowe Healer    2.39  12 15 15  7   6   5   16% Voodoo Staff, Steel Ring
Gong Monk      2.88  14 9  14  6   7   6   5%  N/A

Battle 4- 8/28 turns

Not too hard, although I did get pretty lucky with some of the counterattacks (on Max's side anyways, I'm 100% sure that Luke did not need a single counterattack to clear his side). I sent most of the force up north wherein Max baited and seized the lion's share of the EXP whereas Luke carved his own slice from the eastern group by himself. I dunno, I didn't really strategize much, but those boosters really did help (Gong could 2HKO Rune Knights and all of my squishier units were well...less so). Max is crazy overpowered (although I question his persistent need to gain MP...wait, he does have another spell in this remake, I forgot); this is ridiculous. Route maps suck. Also I only have 44 gold pieces left. ;_;

Max  Swordsman 6.31  20 11 25  15  12  6   11% Dwarfbuster, Rousing Ring
Hans Archer    5.17  16 0  17  7   13  5   0%  Wooden Arrow, Steel Ring
Luke Warrior   5.45  17 0  20  10  7   6   0%  Jagged Flash
Lowe Healer    3.35  13 18 21  7   7   5   18% Doll Hater, Steel Ring
Gong Monk      4.07  14 9  16  10  11  6   5%  N/A
Epilogue 1- FREE/28 turns
Lord Darksol asks that you leave this mortal coil...Oh right, the battle. Uh...Narsha is cute? Her attack animation looks like she's smashing the unfortunate recipient with a broken beer bottle to the head (which she did to almost every enemy on the map save for one which the bug ninja took care of, god bless their souls). Goes well with her otherwise heroic look.
Name   Rank   Level HP MP ATK DEF AGI MOV RES Equipment
Narsha Shaman 5.30  20 22 20  16  13  6   44% Mace

Chapter 2

Units: Max, Luke, Hans, Lowe, Gong, Arthur

Battle 5- 13/28 turns

Surprisingly obnoxious, but for the wrong reasons. The movement costs aren't as obvious as they are in Fire Emblem, so it was hard making sure that Max could get to the first chokepoint to lay some smack down (I gave Gong the Speed Ring so that he could clear the enemies beforehand, but it turned out to be unnecessary after I figured out the positioning and was just too lazy to shift the inventory again). After that, I sent Max directly to the left so he could make a beeline for the village whereas everyone else else went up and basically contributed nothing to the clear of this chapter (they did get some easy EXP though). Max had enough HP to survive two Blaze 2's and a zombie attack, but if he got poisoned then he'd die on the next turn (since he needed to survive two rounds of that, the poison damage was just enough to tip him over the edge). Guess what happened on my first time through? ;/ Did I ever mention the graphics in this game are really ugly?

Max  Swordsman 6.96  20 11 25  15  12  6   11% Dwarfbuster, Rousing Ring
Hans Archer    6.00  16 0  17  7   14  5   0%  Wooden Arrow, Steel Ring
Luke Warrior   6.00  18 0  20  12  11  6   0%  Jagged Flash, Speed Ring
Lowe Healer    4.97  15 22 21  7   7   5   19% Doll Hater, Steel Ring
Gong Monk      4.91  14 9  16  10  11  6   5%  N/A
Battle 6- 10/38 turns
Man, this chapter was the worst. The two zombies at the start were dealt with easily enough, as was the brigade on the bridge (more like the bridgade). Both of these groups helped me more than they hurt me because they totally fed my units! But then...that fucking bat crew. They consistently made several of my units fall asleep, in addition to getting in the way and being a general pain in the ass. Definitely cost me one or two turns (this is just a general estimate over an actual value, so take it with a grain of salt), but I just wanted to get this chapter over with. The skeleton was surprisingly durable (as surprising as how the zombies weren't nearly as tough as they were in the original), and the only people I had that could attack him were Max, Gong, and Hans...yeah. The Dark Mage brigade in front of him also slowed me down, but what can you do? Just say fuck it and move to the next chapter already, that's what. Oh, and Gong died. Whoops. I can already tell that getting Arthur levels is going to be the worst.
Name   Rank      Level HP MP ATK DEF AGI MOV RES Equipment
Max    Swordsman 8.61  23 15 26  17  13  6   12% Dwarfbuster
Hans   Archer    7.21  16 0  17  8   14  5   0%  Wooden Arrow, Steel Ring
Luke   Warrior   7.13  18 0  22  12  12  6   0%  Jagged Flash, Speed Ring
Lowe   Healer    6.35  16 29 23  8   9   5   21% Doll Hater, Steel Ring
Gong   Monk      6.09  16 12 20  15  15  6   9%  Rousing Ring
Arthur Knight    4.00  12 2  21  7   8   8   12% Bronze Lance, Power Ring
Battle 7- 5/43 turns

Using my prostrats, I divined that I should rush through to the left. Arthur used Attack 1 on both himself and Max so as to allow them to tagteam the Marionette boss and destroy him once and for all. The first wave of enemies was no problem, and the giant bats didn't screw me over (fuck them anyways) this time around. However, the second wave of dolls (the ones with Freeze 1) were pretty evil, severely damaging Max (and thankfully ignoring Arthur) and killing off Luke and Lowe in the process. Oh well, a win's a win. I really hope Arthur can be useful (well, he already was, but I'm talking about the long term here), because that would make this whole thing worth it.

Name   Rank      Level HP MP ATK DEF AGI MOV RES Equipment
Max    Swordsman 9.23  23 15 26  17  15  6   12% Dwarfbuster
Hans   Archer    7.78  16 0  22  8   14  5   0%  Steel Arrow, Steel Ring
Luke   Warrior   7.24  18 0  22  12  12  6   0%  Jagged Flash, Speed Ring
Lowe   Healer    6.77  16 29 25  8   9   5   21% Zombie Charm, Steel Ring
Gong   Monk      7.08  18 12 20  15  15  6   9%  Rousing Ring
Arthur Knight    4.55  12 2  21  7   8   8   12% Bronze Lance, Power Ring

Battle 8- 4/47 turns

Wait...no chokepoint? You bastards. Other than that, there wasn't much thinking or clever positioning involved. Max went for the skeletons because he did the most damage to them and the rest could take care of them just fine, Lowe went for the zombies because he had a weapon that was effective against them (by the way, I didn't mention it before, but effective weaponry has been a big help; first the Dwarfbuster, then the Doll Hater, and finally the Zombie Charm), and everyone else killed whatever they could. I'm pretty proud of this clear, because I don't think I could do better with this team without more counterattacks and/or double attacks (I only got one of each on this round, by the way). Also Arthur got a lot of kill EXP, which was nice.

Name   Rank      Level  HP MP ATK DEF AGI MOV RES Equipment
Max    Swordsman 10.42  23 15 26  17  15  6   14% Dwarfbuster
Hans   Archer    8.43   17 0  22  8   14  5   0%  Steel Arrow, Steel Ring
Luke   Warrior   7.91   18 0  22  12  12  6   0%  Jagged Flash, Speed Ring
Lowe   Healer    8.21   18 29 26  8   10  5   22% Zombie Charm
Gong   Monk      7.61   18 12 20  15  15  6   9%  Rousing Ring
Arthur Knight    6.09   13 2  28  13  9   8   12% Power Spear, Power Ring, Silver Ring, Steel Ring

Epilogue 2- FREE/47 turns

I moved Narsha forwards to win...the first portion. Afterwards, she used Attack 1 to boost her attack by 8 points (no duh), which she really only needed for the Kracken (everyone else she 1HKOed anyways). The kracken was a roadblock that forced me to muster all of my courage and...use one medical herb. The horror! After that, I got the ridiculously powerful Heavy Mace and mopped the floor with the rest of the enemies. Turns out Narsha is not only cute, but also OP. Who knew?

Name   Rank   Level HP MP ATK DEF AGI MOV RES Equipment
Narsha Shaman 8.57  21 24 29  20  16  6   44% Heavy Mace
Edited by Refa