Sethless LTC

I started this thing on a whim yesterday (well, I haven't gone to sleep since then so technically today I guess) and I'm pretty curious to see how low I can go. My only condition to this thing is no Seth. Anything goes to save turns (but it's how patient I am that limits this) and I'm not bothering for 100% recruitment. Sorry Cormag.

[spoiler=PROLOGUE - 2/2]

Seth burnt an RN and then Eirika critkilled everything, draft style. Her level sets her up nicely for next map (she needs strength, and I think speed too.)

[spoiler=CHAPTER 1 - 4/6]

Eirika runs and takes out a fighter or two and then Franz grabs her. Gilliam kills the soldier that would be blocking Franz, and he drops Eirika in front of Breguet, and she needs to dodge two of Breguet/a soldier/a fighter in order to not die.

[spoiler=CHAPTER 2 - 5/11]

It's possible to do this with less with some SERIOUS rigging I think, but I'm not up for that much. Eirika rushes towards the boss area after a bunch of irons are bought from the armoury in order to save weapon uses. Vanessa grabbed Ross and offloaded him to Moulder, who got the villages, then stole Garcia's kill, and picked off the weakened boss. Franz and Gilliam took on the reinforcements.

[spoiler=CHAPTER 3 - 5/16]

4 is definetely possible without Seth, I tried it. Only problem was it required a Vanessa doublecrit with 42%/3% hit/crit respectively. Obviously that wasn't going to work. I bought a bunch of ranged weapons for this thing to work. Hand Axe!Ross and Iron Lance!Vanessa break down the first wall. Eirika critkills the dude in the way with her Rapier because she was only going 3/4 for strength. Garcia Hand Axes the wall after that. Next turn Vanessa Javelins it, and Iron Sword!Franz and Garcia run through and start to clear a path. Eventually Eirika got hauled over to the boss' room where Garcia/Franz/Vanessa combined to kill Babza, and Eirika seized. Unfortunately I missed a chest key, so I need to secure that in 5x.

[spoiler=CHAPTER 4 - 3/19]

Vanessa flies straight down and is able to ORKO starting turn 2 enemy phase. Franz goes right and gets healed by Moulder after killing both Mogalls, then heads down. Reinforcements appear on turn 3, Eirika kills the Fetid Claw one and the rest suicide on her. Franz was busy ORKOing with Iron Lance stuff, and Artur took the right side. Vanessa 2RKOed the boss with a Javelin.

[spoiler=CHAPTER 5 - 3/22]

Colm and Franz start closest to Saar. Vanessa fullmoves and stops just before Colm's square. He rescues, Franz takes and drops her. This is important. Franz blitzed up next turn, Colm lured Joshua, Moulder rescued Eirika and Vanessa flying over and securing the Armourslayer. Franz was able to punch a guy out of the way for Nessie. Gilliam got the Dracoshield.

[spoiler=CHAPTER 5X - 7/29]

Ephraim and Orson make their way to the throne on their own, Kyle and Forde secure a door key. Orson manages to nab a Chest Key on the way, and Ephraim takes the thing (along with the Silver Sword)

[spoiler=CHAPTER 6 - 3/32]

Vanessa takes the Draco and flies for the boss. Franz does what he can to earn experience and draw Archers. It was a pretty simple chapter.

[spoiler=CHAPTER 7 - 4/36]

Nessie rescues Eirika and flies up. Moulder and Garcia drop Colm onto the river first turn. Franz rushes right for the sake of experience. Vanessa drops Eirika to dispose of the boss (one square short ugh) and goes to earn some exp herself. Meanwhile Moulder heals Colm and he steals the Energy Ring. Franz barely reaches level 10.

[spoiler=CHAPTER 8 - 7/43]

Oh boy. Franz promotes to Paladin and carries Eirika, dropping her so he can clear the throne room and Tirado out. Vanessa flies behind him, over the water and assists Ephraim's group and grabbing the Whip. Colm grabbed the Angelic Robe, after Garcia cleared the room out, since he was my only capable fighter left. Vanessa took the Robe after the Chapter.

Forgot to unload the Silver Sword onto a Cavalier. Oh well.

UNIT CLASS LV.XP HP ST SK SP LC DE RE WEAPON
EIRIKA LORD 12.92 23 11 15 16 14 07 03 SWORD B
FRANZ PALLY 10/02.18 32 14 12 16 08 15 04 SWORD C LANCE C
VANESSA PEG 11.15 30 13 14 18 12 12 06 LANCE C

Obviously heading Eirika route right now, since it's faster and I haven't raised Artur (wouldn't have had the exp to raise all three of them, heh.) But there's one thing that's been bugging me. In Chapter 10, I could sacrifice Tana to drop Eirika next to Pablo on turn 1 enemy phase. She either kills him if she's strong enough, or Vanessa mops him up. Either way works, but would giving up a second flier be too costly? I don't really care about making everyone survive, even though nobody's died yet. If it's for the sake of turnshaving, I'll do it. Also, do I need to raise another Cavalier/Pegasus Knight for anything? If so I'll probably opt for Tana, even though she won't be able to promote till the desert, unless someone gives me a really good reason to choose Kyle. I'm kind of worried about how to tackle the desert honestly, so I'd like thoughts on that. And Chapter 9, for that matter. Not really sure what TC I should be gunning for there, since only really Garcia is competent outside of the units I've listed (and Joshua, to an extent.) Also, should I hold out on Vanessa's promotion or just go for it now? Thoughts?

Lookin' good. Vanessa is actually strength-blessed on this file.

Franz and Vanessa for your main units sounds sufficient, though you could be interested in an additional 8-move unit (Tana or Kyle?) because of its effect on infrastructure. On Eirika route, you can often get away with having just Seth.

For the desert, I recommend giving Franz all the bosskills and having a flier carry him to the south while Saleh and some others handle the north. Because of fliers, being mounted isn't even a disadvantage in C15.

Holy shit Chapter 9.

[spoiler=CHAPTER 9 - 4/47]

This was pretty crazy. I promoted Vanessa for this map, and it proved to be pretty damn crucial. She starts at the bottom, and fullmoves down, taking on 2 archers in enemy phase. She has to kill at least one of them. Franz meanwhile charges left, taking out a soldier on the way. Joshua moves as far southeast as he can, in order to lure Pirates. Tana fullmoves down w/ a Slim Lance, Moulder rescues Eirika. Kyle and Forde move up, Forde Javelins a Soldier to kill off on enemy phase. Lute moves just out of that soldier's range.

Next turn, Franz keeps moving left and snuggles up next to the Sniper, knocking out the Pirate with a Javelin (thank goodness he doubles Mercs) while the Cavs and Lute bring up the rear. Vanessa moves down to the forest tile spot and Elixirs up while she has the chance to. Joshua pulls back a bit to lure the pirates to where he can hit them. Moulder passes Eirika to Tana and heals her, while Tana moves down and chucks a Javelin at the Archer who Vanessa whiffed. Artur and Garcia knock out the Pirate who assaulted Tana. The Sniper almost kills himself on Franz on enemy phase.

Franz has to move to kill the Pirate that ignores him to the south, in order to lure the Myrmidon. Annoyingly, this means the reinforcement Merc on the right will move towards the Cavs, so Kyle moves to intercept it. Forde finishes a dude and lures the Sniper over so he can kill it next turn. Vanessa moves to the left of Binks and equips a Javelin. Tana drops Eirika just out of the reinforcement Archer's range, and everyone else cleans up Pirates. This is where it gets dicey. Vanessa has to dodge (mostly) and kill everything that attacks her on enemy phase, and connect with Binks once. Considering there are a bunch of archers, it was kind of a pain.

Vanessa moves left after that, to a spot where she can lure all of the remaining enemies on the south side near the fighters. Franz finishes the Myrm off and sends the Killing Edge to the convoy. Eirika withdraws it and uses it to blitz the bosses face (only needed one crit since Vanessa connected) and Tana rescues her to a safe spot. Forde kills the Sniper, Kyle moves to a spot to kill the reinforcement Soldier on enemy phase. Enemy phase happened, and everything managed to suicide on one of Vanessa/Franz/Kyle.

UNIT     CLASS     LV.XP HP ST SK SP LC DE RE WEAPON
EIRIKA   LORD      13.92 23 12 16 17 14 07 04 SW B
FRANZ    PALLY  10/02.97 32 14 12 16 08 15 04 SW C LA C
VANESSA  WYVERN 11/02.18 33 15 15 21 13 13 08 LA A
FORDE    CAV       09.02 26 10 11 11 08 08 04 SW D LA C
KYLE     CAV       08.17 28 11 07 09 07 10 01 SW D LA C

[spoiler=Chapter 10 - 3/50]

Pretty simple Eirika drop stuff. Vanessa carried her, Tana flew behind in order to snag the bosskill. The others went down south to funnel exp into Forde and grab the Killer Axe, in case for some reason I need Garcia again.

[spoiler=Chapter 11 - 5/55]

I think 4 is possible. Only my stats would've needed to have been even crazier and I would've needed more crits than I already needed. I split my group slightly, Gerik (promoted to Ranger) moved left and knocked out a rev so that Nessie could fullmove. Tana critkills a bonewalker (only fliers can reach, and Franz needs to be danced by Tethys anyway) so that she can clear a path for danced!Franz to blitz through. She, Kyle and Eirika follow behind, with Innes Longbowing units in the tower from near the starting position, Moulder spams Torch and Colm acts as a Torch. Forde sat back and killed off the reinforcements. Franz moved to intercept enemies coming from the right hand side and Tana and Kyle picked some off when they could. Nessie hit the boss from upper right with a Javelin turn 2 (couldn't fullmove, would be blocked) and then continues her charge straight right. The enemies are much slower coming out of the door, so Vanessa took them all on instead. Unfortunately, she needed a doublecrit to drop the boss in one round, but other people were still mopping up anyway so it didn't matter. Maybe 4's doable with better combat stats? Oh well, I'm pleased with 5.

UNIT CLASS LV.XP HP ST SK SP LC DE RE WEAPON
EIRIKA LORD 14.18 24 12 16 18 14 08 04 SW B
FRANZ PALLY 10/03.74 33 14 13 17 08 16 04 SW C LA B
VANESSA WYVERN 11/04.89 33 16 16 22 15 15 09 LA S
FORDE CAV 12.27 29 13 12 13 09 09 05 SW D LA B
TANA PEG 07.46 21 10 13 16 10 08 09 LA D

• 3 weeks later...
[spoiler=Chapter 12 - 5/60]
Flew Tana+Saleh and Vanessa+Franz up. Triggered the first reinforcements turn 2, and then dropped people. Tana grabbed Barrier so Saleh could spam it for as long as I could get away with it. Everyone else dealt with the lower units and the reinforcements, Franz went to the upper right, Nessie whacked the boss and the upper left reinforcements.

[spoiler=Chapter 13 - 1/61]
Involving a ridiculously abused fight with Aias and Vanessa. Pierce+Crits are not fun to get.

[spoiler=Chapter 14 - 8/69]
Innes went left and got the Energy Ring on his own. Everyone else went up, Saleh staffspamming as much as possible with Tethys dancing him. Less is possible, but I needed the Secret Shop for Tana and Kyle, and the time for Saleh to staffspam. Almost broke Barrier and Hammerned it, since I shouldn't need all three uses.

[spoiler=Chapter 15 - 4/73]
Sent Fliers+Dozla ferrying Gerik down to the south, everyone else dealt with the upper section. Nessie and Franz dealt with Valter and Caellach respectively. Got Boots and Warp. 3 turns is definitely possible, but staffspamming time. Which, by the way, still wasn't actually enough.

e312b4084354017057e6e13327c5202f.png49610cbb823ec4896a46dd604db5de8b.png

RAGE

If I bother redoing this thing for improvements/someone else wants to try it, raise Artur. Seriously.

People say that FE8 is an easy game, but FE8 is a hard game to LTC well.

I'm wondering if the turns spent staffspamming were worth it (how many times did Saleh get to use Barrier in C12?) - looks like you'll need another turn at least just to get there.

Raising Artur in this kind of playthrough sounds troublesome when you're also preoccupied with training Vanessa and Franz (who are barely of any value in a run with Seth).

Do you think busting your ass to train Vanessa (maybe feed her some of Seth's bosskills) and spend the extra turn (iirc it's just one; need to check my Girls Run recording) to obtain the whip could make a change to a Warpskip run with Seth? Your turn counts beginning with C9 occasionally beat Horace's, C9 being the biggest example of that.

I think exp could probably have been optimized a bit better early on and Artur only needs to hit level 10 by Chapter 11 (which he could probably have managed at Forde's expense, I guess.) Don't remember how many turns in C12, it was 3 I think?

No Seth (generic run) is really not that bad. I first played this game under the impression that Seth was bad, and basically used him for meatshielding only. On my first hard mode run, did the same thing. Now, LTC without Seth is a lot harder, but LTC is by default usually pretty tough, since working out how to cut a turn takes some effort.

Hey SB, you realize that you dont need to actually reach A rank staves before Chp 16 right? You can use turn 1 to finish your staff-spamming and then do your warping on turn 2 for a 2 turn clear.