Best Swordmaster

Ragingrob13

328 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the best swordsmaster?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've played...Rutger (I'm only about 2/3rds of the way on SoS normal mode, though). Joshua, and Guy are technically better, but in context, they don't stand out as much as Rutger does.

With his excellent skill and speed, complemented by great promotion bonuses and motherfucking +30 crit, all Rutger needs is five points in strength to kick ass.

I hear he gets even BETTER in hard mode, so that's something to look forward to.

Maybe you don't know, but dondon actually mentioned about pretty useless character.

They're not useless if your objective isn't LTCing or drafting or doing efficient runs (though efficient runs unfortunately fall in the "LTCing as much as possible" line), no one needs to play on FE!UsainBolt's style and classify units as "+6 mov, useful; -6 mov, useless for my 1 turn win strategy".

They're not useless if your objective isn't LTCing or drafting or doing efficient runs (though efficient runs unfortunately fall in the "LTCing as much as possible" line), no one needs to play on FE!UsainBolt's style and classify units as "+6 mov, useful; -6 mov, useless for my 1 turn win strategy".

Mareeta has durablity level of Linoan, but he doesn't have staves, or 1~2 good combat. Also lol3STR.

Trewd is just... well I don't know reason to use him. Really, this guy...

Shanam is Shanam. I think I don't need to explain.

Also ti's not true that only +6 mov character are useful. If they are good bosskiller, or warp they also can be useful with less mov.

And I don't need to play LTC to say that some characters (like Oswin) are nothing special.

Mareeta has durablity level of Linoan, but he doesn't have staves, or 1~2 good combat. Also lol3STR.

Also ti's not true that only +6 mov character are useful. If they are good bosskiller, or warp they also can be useful with less mov.

And I don't need to play LTC to say that some characters (like Oswin) are nothing special.

Mareeta can become great if you have patience to train her but, other than that, I don't see much about her as well. Oswin can choke points and doesn't fail much from low mov because of the short maps and he's quite useful in the start, but he's no more than an average unit.

But Lex!Lakche is too awesome to be dumped just for "lol 6 mov".

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stefan.

Just...honestly, who puts Gotoh-level stats and growths on a Level 8 Swordmaster, when the game's halfway point hasn't even been reached?!

Aside from that, my runner-up is Lakche.

• 3 weeks later...

Marisa and Guy are my favorite of those, but I say that Mia, Zihark, and Rutger are great.

Zihark with an Earth support like Nolan is delicious. Rutger also has dem supports, and I just like Mia.

It has to be Mia in Radiant Dawn, unlike some swordmasters (cough zihark) she can actually take a few hits with her highish defence and hp.

Btw what's with the Rutgers faciation? From my experience his a luck reliant character who needs crits to do damage and no 1-2 range.

It has to be Mia in Radiant Dawn, unlike some swordmasters (cough zihark) she can actually take a few hits with her highish defence and hp.

Btw what's with the Rutgers faciation? From my experience his a luck reliant character who needs crits to do damage and no 1-2 range.

(From my Top 25 Best Fire Emblem Units EVER)

"(...) Before starting to describe this guy, we have to understand some technical aspects of Binding Blade. First of all, every chapter objective consist on Roy seizing a throne/gate in order to obtain victory. Bosses sit on such places, and must be defeated. In this game, they're formidable foes, with ridiculously better stats than your scrubs. The fact that thrones/gates give bonuses of +3 Def, +30% Avo DOESN'T help. (...)

When Rutger arrives, his offense is unparalleled. He starts at Lv4/0 with 9 Str, 16 Spd, with growths of 30% Str, 60% Spd. To put how overpowered this is in perspective, the next best parameters until Chapter 13 belong to the prepromote paladins Marcus and Zealot, whose bases are aroung 9-10 Str, 11-13 Spd. Unlike Rutger, they don't improve considerably.

With this in mind, one notices that Rutger's most important task is to obliterate bosses. He is the only reliable unit at bosskilling, hence why he is completely forced to do so in the first chapters. He owns the most important qualities of any unit dedicated to this role, such as high speed to double everything bar Gel; high hit rate in comparison to other units with roulette ruse reliability, and the most important thing: a 30% chance of critical hit after promotion which gives him a higher chance of ORKO.

For example, Rutger Lv11/1 with a Killing Edge has 22 Atk, 20 AS, 70% Critical. This means that he has 49% chance of ORKO to Henning, the boss of Chapter 8x with 38 HP, 16 Def, 16 AS with a Hand Axe after factoring WTA. Other units must be at very high levels in order to achieve the same level of performance, so good luck killing Henning and Scott without him. Later on, he can use Armorslayers, Wyrmslayers and Durandal to dispose of other enemy types.

One could argue that his niche isn't unique anymore from Chapter 13 onwards, when Killer Weapons are available to replicate Rutger's critical hit rate while having a better natural strength. On the other side of the spectrum, Rutger is still the most reliable bosskiller due to having a superior hit rate to everyone else, and having a critical hit rate while using effective weaponry. (...)"

Edited by Xator Nova

(From my Top 25 Best Fire Emblem Units EVER)

"(...) Before starting to describe this guy, we have to understand some technical aspects of Binding Blade. First of all, every chapter objective consist on Roy seizing a throne/gate in order to obtain victory. Bosses sit on such places, and must be defeated. In this game, they're formidable foes, with ridiculously better stats than your scrubs. The fact that thrones/gates give bonuses of +3 Def, +30% Avo DOESN'T help. (...)

When Rutger arrives, his offense is unparalleled. He starts at Lv4/0 with 9 Str, 16 Spd, with growths of 30% Str, 60% Spd. To put how overpowered this is in perspective, the next best parameters until Chapter 13 belong to the prepromote paladins Marcus and Zealot, whose bases are aroung 9-10 Str, 11-13 Spd. Unlike Rutger, they don't improve considerably.

With this in mind, one notices that Rutger's most important task is to obliterate bosses. He is the only reliable unit at bosskilling, hence why he is completely forced to do so in the first chapters. He owns the most important qualities of any unit dedicated to this role, such as high speed to double everything bar Gel; high hit rate in comparison to other units with roulette ruse reliability, and the most important thing: a 30% chance of critical hit after promotion which gives him a higher chance of ORKO.

For example, Rutger Lv11/1 with a Killing Edge has 22 Atk, 20 AS, 70% Critical. This means that he has 49% chance of ORKO to Henning, the boss of Chapter 8x with 38 HP, 16 Def, 16 AS with a Hand Axe after factoring WTA. Other units must be at very high levels in order to achieve the same level of performance, so good luck killing Henning and Scott without him. Later on, he can use Armorslayers, Wyrmslayers and Durandal to dispose of other enemy types.

One could argue that his niche isn't unique anymore from Chapter 13 onwards, when Killer Weapons are available to replicate Rutger's critical hit rate while having a better natural strength. On the other side of the spectrum, Rutger is still the most reliable bosskiller due to having a superior hit rate to everyone else, and having a critical hit rate while using effective weaponry. (...)"

Well thats a very comprehensive description of him thanks.

I guess Im just unlucky with him (and most mymidons) since I found his offensive lacking excluding crits primarily because of the +3 from the trones.

I found that lugh was a better bosskiller as most bosses had pathetic resistance and his hitrate surpassed rutger because animas high hitrate but that beside the point.

I guess I have to replay fe6 and try again with him...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with lorddomu. Lakche is a goddess of destruction, regardless of not being mounted. Father her with Noish, and she never stops attacking. Father her with Lex, and she now has stats beyond speed, plus can never be killed by cavalry. Father her with Holyn, and she can steal Shanan's Balmung and become invincible. Besides, since there's no rescue mechanic in FE4, you might as well use her, since Celice starts off unmounted.

Statistically, Ayra and her children (fathered by Holyn) have always turned out great for me. For personality, I think Mareeta or Nabarl would be my favourite.

• 3 months later...

Lakche, Rutger, Mareeta, and Navarre are all excellent units. I would say Mareeta, for one shooting Veld no matter how hard I try not to.

One of my personal favorites (but far from the best) is Shanam. Take the smile on Shanan's portrait, turn it upside down, and there you go.

In my, admittedly limited, experience FE10 Mia is the 'best' in terms of actual power. I won't claim that I've played every FE though, so a SM from FE6 is beyond my knowledge. With that said, I want to throw in that there are TWO major caviots to Mia being the best (that I'm sure some people will bring up).

1) While she may be the 'best' there are a lot of OP'ed units in FE10 with Mia just being the pinnacle of the SM's.

2) This doesn't mean that the other SM's are useless. Except for Stefan. He just comes too late to compare to the majority of units.

Stefan at least comes pre-built in both FE9 and FE10 with servicable base stats, Astra and the Vague Katti, so what he brings to the team is of value at least.

I can't see the necessity in using Lucia, as in both games, her damage output is just so low, and her durability is exactly what you'd expect of a Swordmaster

Stefan at least comes pre-built in both FE9 and FE10 with servicable base stats, Astra and the Vague Katti, so what he brings to the team is of value at least.

I can't see the necessity in using Lucia, as in both games, her damage output is just so low, and her durability is exactly what you'd expect of a Swordmaster

Bringing Astra to the team in FE10 isn't that amazing. Lucia isn't that great either, but she will be deployed for at least a few maps and she has the chance to impact some as well. Sure, she's not the best by a LONG shot, but she's at least there.