Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the stock argument, too, of 'oh, look at Costa Rica! They did well!' Yeah and they qualified as one of the best couple of teams in CONCACAF. Because they were and are. Any new CONCACAF teams would be worse than Honduras. Any new AFC teams would be worse than Uzbekistan/Saudi Arabia. Any new CAF team would be worse than the interchangeable one or two that implode in the group stages over bonuses every year. And the OFC spot... well, congratulations, New Zealand.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all about pure quality, but a structure of 48 does not function.

Edited by Parrhesia

Wow.

They actually did it.

I can't speak for other continents, but I can tell you one thing: now that Soutyh America will most likely receive 1 extra spot (maybe 2?) competition on the qualifiers will go to shit.

One of the cool things of South American qualifiers is that there are many good teams fighting over few spots. Uruguay, Colombia and Ecuador and Chile have been battling over the 4th and 5th spot since the last 2 decades, and that has helped them to improve and get good results internationally. Now they can all get in, it's not like Bolivia and Venezuela are going to put much of a fight.

Way to kill the competitive enviroment.

N4881E6.jpg
As compiled by some guy on SA, the current X best teams in each continent;

Europe, cut off rank: 25
Germany, Belgium, France, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Wales, England, Croatia, Poland, Italy, Iceland, Netherlands, Ireland, Turkey, Slovakia

Africa, cut off rank: 53
Senegal, Ivory Coast, Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Congo, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Ghana

Asia, cut off rank: 87
Iran, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, UAE, China, Qatar

South America, cut off rank: 19
Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, Peru

North America, cut off rank: 75
Costa Rica, Mexico, USA, Panama, Haiti, Honduras, Curacao

Oceania, cut off rank: 109
New Zealand

Wow.

They actually did it.

I can't speak for other continents, but I can tell you one thing: now that Soutyh America will most likely receive 1 extra spot (maybe 2?) competition on the qualifiers will go to shit.

One of the cool things of South American qualifiers is that there are many good teams fighting over few spots. Uruguay, Colombia and Ecuador and Chile have been battling over the 4th and 5th spot since the last 2 decades, and that has helped them to improve and get good results internationally. Now they can all get in, it's not like Bolivia and Venezuela are going to put much of a fight.

Way to kill the competitive enviroment.

Honestly, COMNEBOL world cup qualifying could be a league by itself and I'd watch the shit out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

After professional bad opinion haver and inexplicable FIFA employee Marco van Basten suggested the removal of the offside law, a German sport magazine decided to give it a shot and guess what; it fucking sucked.

Video's here - do be mindful that there's English subtitles.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so happy that Sutton of all clubs got this run and it ended in this fashion, with their manager vaping on the touchline in one of the matches along the way.

I'm very unhappy that your buddy Claudio was sacked and now instead of fervently hoping Leicester stay up I'm rather pettily fervently hoping Leicester go down.

Edited by Parrhesia

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 6:49 AM, Parrhesia said:

I'm so happy that Sutton of all clubs got this run and it ended in this fashion, with their manager vaping on the touchline in one of the matches along the way.

I'm very unhappy that your buddy Claudio was sacked and now instead of fervently hoping Leicester stay up I'm rather pettily fervently hoping Leicester go down.

Still keeping their "Get relegated, still win Champions League" hopes up

international football is now officially bad and not good, i suspect that kelsper will share this opinion

the americans on the other hand will be fine and dandy, related note i don't suppose you could lend us dempsey for a couple days?

20 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

international football is now officially bad and not good, i suspect that kelsper will share this opinion

the americans on the other hand will be fine and dandy, related note i don't suppose you could lend us dempsey for a couple days?

Thing is, after our first two matches in the final round, we were definitely hitting the panic button (especially after the Costa Rica match, the one that cost Klinsmann his job)

Things were VERY nervy among US supporters, particularly due to key injures (Yedlin, F. Johnson, and Wood were all ruled out due to injury), thankfully the US made a statement.

6-0 is one thing, but against Honduras? (an opponent which usually gives us fits), Gave the US and their supporters a boost in confidence. Pulisic is the real deal.

And Dempsey? Funnily enough, this was his first match for the US since being out six months with an irregular heartbeat. Arena was even reluctant to call him up, but due to key injuries he didn't have much of a choice. Thankfully, it paid off.

A draw Tuesday at Panama would be acceptable, a win at Panama would get our qualifying campaign back on track.

On a side note, got tickets to the US U20 World Cup match vs. Senegal!

Edited by Bullwine85