I just realized why Levin's name was changed

Greener223224

Should we interpret that as, Legion>Ced namewise?

Because, Legion being better than Sety, muddles me

Also it always struck me as odd that the localizers were willing to do research on Roro and not only give him a thematic name (Legion) but also an appropriate way of speaking. Yet they couldn't be bothered to do the same with Sety.

If you look at it from that perspective, it will appear that they didn't bother to do any research on anything not from Marth's games, and just made guesses or some extreme variant

Edited by Soledai

Ray didn't become Rei, it became Raigh.

Which is an even more baffling decision.

Also it always struck me as odd that the localizers were willing to do research on Roro and not only give him a thematic name (Legion) but also an appropriate way of speaking. Yet they couldn't be bothered to do the same with Sety.

That reminds me: Where'd the name Roro come from? Is it just a simple name that the translators threw out to make a theme? Or does it have an actual meaning?

Also, do you still pronounce Raigh "lay" or "loo"?

What about Ulster though. I had to look up who he actually was because his name was so different. I mean, Skasaha -> Ulster? That's some serious Vergil shit right there. Not to mention in Jugdral there's already a region called Alster, which is based on the Irish region of Ulster

I'm confused as is with why Shani/Thany became Shanna and why Ray became Rei after the scanlators made a new consensus on Lleu.

Shanna and Raigh are hardly large deviations from the original names, in fact Raigh is a perfectly valid transliteration of the katakana

Edited by General Banzai

That reminds me: Where'd the name Roro come from? Is it just a simple name that the translators threw out to make a theme? Or does it have an actual meaning?

Also, do you still pronounce Raigh "lay" or "loo"?

I'd always imagined that no-one even guessed his name could've been Rolo

Raigh: Probably Ray, or Rai, like Raiden or something I guess

What about Ulster though. I had to look up who he actually was because his name was so different. I mean, Skasaha -> Ulster? That's some serious Vergil shit right there. Not to mention in Jugdral there's already a region called Alster, which is based on the Irish region of Ulster

This is one of the things I didn't even try to understand, because I've wondered and even said the exact same thing, so what, now they'll call Alster, Skasaha/Skasaher/Scathach? "We move out to Skasaha!" ...No thanks

Shanna and Raigh are hardly large deviations from the original names, in fact Raigh is a perfectly valid transliteration of the katakana

While I do agree with you on the first point, and say "it's close enough" for their purposes in English, the second is not.

Then again, it's katakana.

Edited by shadowofchaos

And I remember not being able to pronounce L'Arachel for the longest time, now that I know, it's just a pointless addition

and as far as Larcei goes, I could maybe get it if NoA was going for less syllables in Lakche's name but they didn't... Sure Larcei rolls off the tongue easier but that doesn't make Lakche hard to say, just a case of simple and simpler

• 2 weeks later...

They changed it because Lakche is a terrible name for a girl. Japanese Arya sucks at naimg her kids.

Yep. I mean, it's not like IS has never gender swapped names before (Dorcas), but I'm guessing they don't want to make such a big habit of it.

On she subject of similar names Galle, the name given to all the evil emperors in the backstory of Jugdral shares his name with Galle, the Wyvern Lord that you can't recruit in Fe6. Though I don't believe either of those names have ever been officially translated.

Though the second Galle is called Gale in the FE6 translation patch.

He did say "officially" and neither game has an official translation nor do the 2 characters in question do.

a translation patch and an official translation are very different.

Edited by Folgore Red II

• 1 month later...