Why do you like/dislike certain characters?

Anacybele

Okay, so a lot of people made threads titled "teach me to like x character" or "why do people like x character" or some such and other people keep saying "do we need this many threads on the subject" and such.

So I've made this thread for all of it to go in one place so we don't see repeats of the same threads over and over. But let's try to keep cool about one another's opinions, okay? Even if someone doesn't agree with the majority on something. We don't want any flame wars.

I'll start off. The only characters I dislike at all in Awakening are Sumia, Chrom, Lucina, and Tharja, but everyone pretty much knows why already. I find Sumia to be plain annoying and annoyingly stupid, Chrom is boring (though he does make me laugh on occasion), Lucina is even more boring, and Tharja just creeps me the hell out. That's basically it. xP

As for the ones I like, I haven't been quite as obvious about. Except maybe Frederick, considering how big a fangirl I am of him. :wub: I love everything about him! I love his character, his design, almost all of his supports so far, a lot of his conversations outside of supports, and I just can't seem to find a single thing I don't like about this guy. Frederick is serious on the outside, but on the inside he's a real softie and a big sweetheart. I mean the guy likes to give hugs and cries manly tears of joy! He pretends not to fear anything, but deep down, he has some serious phobias (gamey meat, wild animals) and he suffered trauma. I think he's also afraid that these things will make him look weak as a knight and he doesn't want that. He wants to be the image of a tough, strong, serious, and fearless warrior. I honestly think he has more personality and more depth than any of the other Jagen characters we've seen so far (as far as international FE titles go anyway). I also find him incredibly hot. Also, PICK A GOD AND PRAY. I'm just totally in love with Frederick and he became my favorite in the game fast. <3

I love Stahl because he's just a super nice guy and he's cute! And he has some really funny lines. lol

I like Cordelia for reasons I'm pretty sure I've said before. I can relate a lot to her and she's hard working and a good mother. And I like her design.

Donny is adorable because he's got a cute southern accent and he's just plain cute. :D Also, YEEEEHAW!

Lon'qu is just badass...and hot. "Who dies next?" "How well will you die?" Dat deep voice too. o.o

Inigo is all sorts of lols. He also reminds me of Sain from FE7, whom I also love to bits. :D And he's hot. And dat voice again. <3

Gaius is also lols. That sweet tooth of his. XD And I love his sugar puns and critical lines. lol And his recruitment convo with Chrom is priceless. I also like that he's actually quite noble for a thief. He saved the lives of both Maribelle and her father and with just a piece of paper! And he didn't even know them! He has a real heart, this guy. :3

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Directed towards the thread's title...

"Why do you like/dislike certain characters?"

Because I have opinions, Ana.

It's something called "humanity."

Nobody has the same tastes, preferences, etc.

If we were all the same life would be boring.

Nobody would criticize or praise each other since they would all be doing the same exact thing.

And yeah, I'm getting sick of all the character flaming/fanboying/fangirling threads too.

There's no point to it since you can't show these characters what you really think of them as they're fictional.

You can't convey your criticisms to them and they can't change based on the feedback they receive from you.

Edited by Ƶerker

I'm pretty sure this was made partially because of my topic, and yeah, sorry 'bout that :sweatdrop: . But I also think that gets me a 'get out of jail free' card with Cordelia.

As for why I like Rhys so much as I'm sure you all care, is I find his backstory very endearing, with being a sickly boy who had a hard time taking care of his elderly parents, until he saves Titania and is welcomed to a dangerous, yet stable, job in being a mercenary to feed his parents.

I don't want to get too gushy, but you get the idea.

- For most of FE13 Characters:

They have terrible gimmicky support convo

Frederick being not what I wanted is a big turn off

- For a Cordelia and Cordelia alone:

I need to cross the Moral Event Horizon just to say why

There's not a single character I actually dislike, except Tharja, simply because she's popular for the wrong reasons. There is also too many characters I do like that I can't make a list, but Severa, Lucina, Inigo, Henry, and Virion stand out. I guess one thing I dislike about all the characters are that they all seem a little too fleshed out. I liked some of the earlier games where I could look at my soldiers and see nothing but pawns who do my bidding. But now I look at them and I see their personalities, their funny or deep support conversations, and now they even expect me to show up for their birthday parties. I thought this was Fire Emblem not Animal Crossing. I also don't think there is enough of them, I don't care if people think Lucina or Chrom are boring characters, because if there's something this game is lacking, it's boring characters (except in the villains department.)

I like Virion because hes not exactly what he seems and is very well written despite everything. Plus his design is pure fanservice to me. Lets take two awesome video game character designs and put them together and see what happens? Dunban is awesome. So is Miles Edgeworth. Lets mush em together! PROFIT! Plus i can make him roflstomp with enough love. Hes got options for two Breaker skills and well, if you know me, you know im a fan of that.

Cherche is the business because shes adorable, a little older than most of the ladies, snarky as all hell, and awesome. Shes now my official waifu. Chillin' with my latest Avatar (Eddard. AKA The Ned) and birthing a Morgs and a Gerome that just destroys everything. Shes chillin' like a villain as a Bride with most of her stats in the green. Ohh yeah. I love her fashion sense too. Her wyvern headband is amazing and i love her relationship with Minerva. Awww.

I like Nah because shes pretty no-nonsense most of the time. Shes really cute and with the right daddy (hai Donnel!), shes amazing. Shes got this adorable support with FemMorgs and her supports with Yarne melt my icy black little heart. I love me some Nah.

I like Henry because he slays me. I crack up for way too long when he makes a pun or says something like "Yeah! Blood!" His design is neat too. All cheery but pretty dark at the end of the day. I love me some morbid humor and Henry has it in spades! Plus he can tank after a while. If the RNG decides not to shit on his speed, he just...ohh yeah! Hes great as a Dread Fighter too. His confession scene is probably my favorite. His white hair looks amazing on just about any kid he ends up with too.

I like Tharja for similar reasons as i like Henry. While she isnt as funny as Henry, she has her moments. Her design is among my favorites despite how scantily it is. (her hair is unf!) Shes not bad in the gameplay aspect but sadly, not that awesome either. Her skill is pretty bad but oh well.

I like FemMorgs because shes the cutest thing ever. SO CUTE IM GONNA DIE! Shes very cheerful but not without her manipulative side. But she owns it when its pointed out. And with a smile no less. Plus gameplay wise...well..lol!!

I dont like Cordelia because she bores me to tears. While not bad in battle, everything else she does either irritates me or puts me to sleep. Thats not even getting to the monstrosity shes give birth to.

I abhor Severa because she is needlessly nasty to just about everyone she comes in contact with. I dont find her reasons for being so horrible to be justifiable. Her bitchiness is not even hilarious to me (unlike Tharja), its just annoying and i just want her to shut up. If she winds up on my team, its because shes ok to good as a unit. That doesnt mean i like her. Quite the opposite. As a result, she gets paired with the most forgettable dudes or leftovers. Or she winds up forever alone. (:B)

Vaike annoys me because he feels like a watered down Reyn (Xenoblade) to me. Reyn's design style and some of his traits but all without any of the awesome things that made Reyn likable. Vaike is just...a brute and kinda lame. Meh.

I like Stahl because he is an onion. I explained this logic elsewhere. Human Onion = Gr9mazing.

Everyone else that i didnt mention whos not in the Dislike corner is pretty cool with me. Rickon, im pretty ambivalent on since i like, never use him. I do like Maribelle because she has progressive ideas and is pretty hilarious. Too bad shes so much of a bitch to train. Argh. Libra is gr9. Hell nearly everyone is gr9.

Just going for personality here, not talking about unit efficiency of anything like that. And I'm not gonna go through every single character, just a few of them.

Anyway, I don't really like Tharja, she's just plain creepy, and she's a terrible person in general. Kinda the same with Henry, while I like his supports with certain characters, he himself I do not like because of how much fun he has shedding blood, it's just creepy. I don't like Cordelia, she's way too obsessed with Chrom, and it usually always feels like she just settles when you marry her, which kinda sucks. I'm not too fond of Panne for being a generic "humans killed my people, all humans are bad" kind of character, but when she seems to warm up to certain characters and change her opinions a bit I like her more. I don't like Severa because she's such a jerk, I don't care how perfect mommy is at everything seriously girl chill out! I do not like Kellam, he's honestly a character I always forget about.

While I wouldn't say I like Chrom and Lucina, I wouldn't say I dislike them either. I find both to be sort of bland and boring, but they both have their moments. Chrom seems generic, and the only thing Lucina has going for her is "I'm from the future, I must stop bad events!" I'm also of the same opinion with Sully, she seems too much like a typical "women are equal to or better than men at everything!" type of character for me, she has her moments but really she'd fall more under the dislike category...

I like Stahl a lot, he seems like a pretty cool dude, not creepy or anything like that. I'd hang out with him, same goes for Cherche, although I'd be a bit weary of Minerva. I like Gregor for the humor he adds, his accent is awesome, and he seems like a cool dude in general. I like Lon'qu for just being bada...butt! Badbutt! Yeah. Flavia and Basilio make me laugh, I like them for that, same for Noire, she makes me laugh, and she's just so innocent, I like her. And the same goes for Yarne! His cowardly attitude is just plain funny. I like Owain for all the little references he has in his dialogue to the other games. Cynthia is cool because of her perkiness, she's awesome. I like Anna for being Anna, and for finally being able to play as Anna!

I'll stop now, don't want to go through every character. But that's the gist of it, most of the other characters I'm pretty indifferent on.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Oh yeah. Not a big fan of Anna. Shes meh to me for some reason. Her crit lines are funny as hell, i never did get the chance to have her support with anyone really. I usually put off her paralogue until much later anyway. (Why? i dunno..)

Because they're terribly written. Whether it's because of [presumably] laziness (Cordelia), mistranslation (olivia), or just plain bad characterization (Severa), they're definitely not up to snuff with the Fe7-9 characters. There's some exceptions (Virion), but this is generally the case with most of 13's cast imo

Edited by Constable Reggie

I hate Cordelia because her unrequited love for Chrom is so painfully overdone. Almost all of her S supports are about Chrom. Compare her to Catria who she takes inspiration from. Her crush on Marth was so subtle and not over done that is makes her a far better character than Cordelia. Then there's the whole 'sole survivor' story. It's so badly handled that freaking Cain has a better sole survivor story. Her supposed 'flaw' is that she's too humble about her 'perfectness'. Everyone constantly praises her. SHOW don't tell. And they fail to show.

Severa is a just a flat out bitch. No amount of 'inner goodness' or 'kind-heartedness deep down' is worth that horrible exterior. Doesn't matter if she can be a good person if you get to know her. With her personality, it isn't worth getting to know her. She can go die in a fire.

Tharja is a creepy stalker who'll kill you if she thinks you'll stray. Imagine only for a second that THarja was a man and the rest of her lines were the same. Do you realize how much outrage that would cause? But because' she's a woman, she's somehow cute/sexy instead of horrible.

Kellam is poorly disguised gimmick. He's silent. We get it. You don't need to hammer it in with every conversation he has. He's so poorly written that he's never gained even a single experience point in my more recent playthroughs.

As for the characters I do like?

Virion, Henry, Owain, Inigo, Cynthia are a few. They're genuinely funny and not assholes.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Tharja is just not a good character in general. She's creepy, not funny. She curses Noire ; What parent in their right minds would do that to their child. It's just wrong. She makes the Dark Mage class look lame. Ricken just annoys the hell outta me, an obvious copy of Ewan, Tormod and Azel. Kjelle, Is also boring, excluding her love for armor. Noire's Alter ego, is overly exaggerated, not funny. The Avatar, Is lame. Has no personality whatsoever. I like Inigo, except the fact that they had to make him a flirt, like previous FE characters such as Sain, Alec, Gatrie, etc. I find Sumia annoying. She is an obvious copy of Shiida. Olivia's a good character, except the fact that she is very shy. Her critical quotes, " I don't want to do this!" is stupid. If you don't want to do it, then don't do it. Why would she say that when she gets a critical? .. And then there's Lucina, who, understandably, is very serious, coming from a grim future, but it's the fact that when she goes in the past, shes still boring.

I hate Cordelia because her unrequited love for Chrom is so painfully overdone. Almost all of her S supports are about Chrom. Compare her to Catria who she takes inspiration from. Her crush on Marth was so subtle and not over done that is makes her a far better character than Cordelia. Then there's the whole 'sole survivor' story. It's so badly handled that freaking Cain has a better sole survivor story. Her supposed 'flaw' is that she's too humble about her 'perfectness'. Everyone constantly praises her. SHOW don't tell. And they fail to show.

Severa is a just a flat out bitch. No amount of 'inner goodness' or 'kind-heartedness deep down' is worth that horrible exterior. Doesn't matter if she can be a good person if you get to know her. With her personality, it isn't worth getting to know her. She can go die in a fire.

Tharja is a creepy stalker who'll kill you if she thinks you'll stray. Imagine only for a second that THarja was a man and the rest of her lines were the same. Do you realize how much outrage that would cause? But because' she's a woman, she's somehow cute/sexy instead of horrible.

Kellam is poorly disguised gimmick. He's silent. We get it. You don't need to hammer it in with every conversation he has. He's so poorly written that he's never gained even a single experience point in my more recent playthroughs.

As for the characters I do like?

Virion, Henry, Owain, Inigo, Cynthia are a few. They're genuinely funny and not assholes.

I agree Cordelia is a hindrance, she is married to Blah Blah and says unnecessary things about Chrom, that put me off doing a S support with her. Tharja, Tharja, Tharja, how you annoy me, "your already dead", heheheh", she doesn't treat people right. I for one was annoyed with FE13, reusing music repeatedly, THE OUTREALMS, "welcome to ze outrealms", what is this 2:00 a.m commercials, Fire Emblem has met with an unfortunate fate, now it won't be the same.

All in all I still like Awakening a bit just not too much.

Tharja is just not a good character in general. She's creepy, not funny. She curses Noire ; What parent in their right minds would do that to their child. It's just wrong. She makes the Dark Mage class look lame. Ricken just annoys the hell outta me, an obvious copy of Ewan, Tormod and Azel. Kjelle, Is also boring, excluding her love for armor. Noire's Alter ego, is overly exaggerated, not funny. The Avatar, Is lame. Has no personality whatsoever. I like Inigo, except the fact that they had to make him a flirt, like previous FE characters such as Sain, Alec, Gatrie, etc. I find Sumia annoying. She is an obvious copy of Shiida. Olivia's a good character, except the fact that she is very shy. Her critical quotes, " I don't want to do this!" is stupid. If you don't want to do it, then don't do it. Why would she say that when she gets a critical? .. And then there's Lucina, who, understandably, is very serious, coming from a grim future, but it's the fact that when she goes in the past, shes still boring.

Yes i agree and you know how I don't like tharja, She's a bad parent to Noire no excuse,

and you know how I despise the young male mage archetype, Ricken is no exception, also sick of Males using wind magic primarily e.g: Lewn, Ced, Bastian,Soren. Females using thunder primarily, where's the variety, personally if I was a sage in Fire emblem i would use thunder. End of Rant.

Edited by SwiftStrike

Olivia's a good character, except the fact that she is very shy. Her critical quotes, " I don't want to do this!" is stupid. If you don't want to do it, then don't do it. Why would she say that when she gets a critical?

Moe is a lot harder to execute in English where the cultures of said countries is not obsessed with kawaii.

Well, lessee here...I dislike Cordelia for being an unholy and lazy fusion of Catria and Fiora with their characteristics dialed up to eleven.

I'm not a big fan of Vaike either. His arrogance and fratboy personality just irritates me. I'm sorry about your inferiority complex, Vaike, but you really need to tone it down.

Severa is just...ugh. She's a massive biatch and the laziest tsundere I've ever seen. She even has the trademark tsundere pigtails.

I think the only character I dislike is Gaius. I blame his Nowi support, where he remained quite bitter to her right up until near the end of the A support, at which point the S support went from 'ew get away' to 'let's get married'. Of course, I could've just read a bad support though. I always give characters a second, third and fourth chance because I want to like them. Enjoyment is a good feeling and I want to feel that as much as possible.

That sort of leads me into my next point as to why I like Tharja. Pretty much every character has their flaws and problems, that are resolved via supports. On the surface, Maribelle is an ice queen but eventually warms up to everyone. Lissa is playful prankster that masks her insecurities about not living up to being a princess, going right down to not having the Brand of the Exalt.

Then Tharja comes in. Here her personality is so sour, and that never really gets resolved much via supports. You have to look a lot deeper here, form a lot of headcanon and explore each line of dialogue to see the good here. Her supports with Nowi and Future Past/Scramble conversations is the best example off the top of my head. Those include some brief moments where she acts like a normal person. It was really fulfilling for me to see that her time with the shepherds had changed her a bit and that after marrying her and giving her every chance, I could say that I liked her for the right reasons. She's still a creepy stalker girl with a long mean streak, but even under her deep mound of problems there is goodness like any character.

Edited by Aurath8