Team Fortress 2

1% critted

Although I'm not as active as I used to be, who here plays hat fortress 2? Main class? Experience, etc.

I'll start

Soldier:1k hours

Next are

Sniper

Demo

Scout

I only have the F2P hats and the mann co. hat, because I sold everything.

And yeah,the Escape plan was nerfed... Fuckin valve.

I play it, though not competitively.

I'm not sure who I've played as the most, but I like to play as either pyro and demoman. (knight mostly)

I believe I got it back in 2011-12, and my experience is quite vast, though I am by no means pro. I am casual, after all.

I play Hat Fortress 2... funny thing I only play the mini game and entirely avoid the Hat Hortress part. I always have been pubbing with 800hr, I started at the Smissmas update. my mains are in order demo/soldier/ medic. looks like everyone here mains demo, so we have a a flying Scotsman brigade here on SF.

funny thing is with 80+ hours as soldier I still cannot do that distant rocket jump, roll outs I believe is what there called. Also I find I am better versing scouts with my rocket launcher than my shotgun? any1 of you had that experience?

I usually play Heavy or Scout, but I play Medic and Sniper often too. Really, I play every other class besides Engineer and Pyro (don't know any of the good sentry spots, and I despise playing Pyro)

And in answer to sifer, my rocket aim is terrible but I'm pretty decent with the shotgun. So... no XD I think the best thing to do is use both, though. Like, shoot a rocket and then if you miss your follow up airshot whip out your shotgun to finish them off. At least, that's how I try but usually fail handle the situation.

I like to watch frag videos and competitive play, even though I'm not really good at the game myself. I would like to try lobby sometime, but I would rather find a nice casual group of people to play with and learn rather than go out and make myself look like a fool. A shame though, I haven't been able to keep up with playing anyways because the laptop I have can't run TF2. T_T

I main the Engineer, but sometimes I go either Pyro or, most often if it's in 2Fort, the Sniper. In general though, I tend to cycle with the Soldier, Heavy, and Demoman.

So in the interest of trying to keep this thread going. What are some good stories you have in tf2?

There was this one time in foundry I pocketed a solly and we entered the 3rd point from the right I was right behind him. He fired 2 shots at the enemy at the far side of 3rd, and then the solly rocket expertly rocket jumped away. For fourth of a second I was like WHAT THE HELL SOLDIER! I saw a crocket coming at me... for a fourth of a second I thought: Oh, I see.

I jokingly raged about it for a minute, and we had a laugh.

I spent, I dunno, roughly a year of my life half-focused on this game- played a couple hundred lobbies IIRC, and have been on a couple 6v6 teams over the course of some months, most of which didn't actually compete in anything but which were fun, at least in retrospect. Plus a lot of time spent on pubs, and some months playing the game on console (AKA, at least to me, the Bad Old Days). I've played mostly Medic (who I tie most closely to my identity as a player), have 3 hundred hours on record playing though it feels like more. Have a little under two hundred hours on record as scout, soldier and demo (the last two less because I've played them as much as the other two, and more because jump maps are fun, but I've done a shitload of pubbing as all four), though much less competitive experience on anything not-medic

I heard there was another guy who went by my exact username, and actually Did Things in the competitive community, circa mid or low-mid? I think? who played soldier, and got banned for hacking or something

I have a lot of.. I guess I can't actually say memories about this game, because I've been away so long (like, two years, three since I was the hardest into it I got), I've probably forgotten more than I remember. I guess at this point, they're more like "feelings associated with it" than memories. Popped ubers, dropped ubers, pushes and defences, all the pockets I've healed, basically how I met the vast majority of my friendslist, yadda yadda.

Fuck, this game reminds me of my mortality makes me feel old, haha. Not that I've ever been any definition of great at it, but it's one of the few games (if there are even any others) that I feel like I can kinda autopilot playing.

And yeah, if you have an easier time hitting scouts with the launcher, you're not alone. They/we hate that thing, haha.

Edited by Rehab

Good stories huh... well, there was this Payload map, I was in RED, and the cart was already nearing the final point. I was an Engie so I put my nest, putting my Dispenser behind a cover, and then in comes the cart with about 6-7 minutes left. Man, it was so intense, we were all defending the point, and they kept coming, but fortunately we held on and won. But man, by the end of it my Sentry had over 15 kills and like countless assists, since that's where it got more kills at. It was glorious...

I vaguely recall one time I was BLU in Hotel Hell trying to get the final cap, which is apparently very difficult. We tried a few times to get it with a lack of coordination.

I changed classes to Heavy, got in there with a few other dudes when no one was around much and we managed to get the point before reinforcements killed us.

I also remember an Engie admin chasing me around by flying and shooting his shotgun at me for spawncamping when I was just trying to destroy his teleporter entrance as a Demoman in OrangeX7 (I think).

Oh, and some pirate ship map called Yaaaaaaaaaargh on 4Chan server where I got kicked for "camping bullshit" by brillantly going inside their ship and building an Engineer nest right in front of the ending of the maze where they need to get the briefcase in to get a capture. I had a Medic, a Scout and a Sniper assist my Sentry and me. Not even an Uber Heavy could get past us.

Edited by Woodshooter

I main demo/medic so I hate scouts, as a soldier when I always target the scout first, unless a medic is there of course. Those flighty dastards must die since they want to take away my precocious uber away. To me a scout is the highest threat, lowest is spy.

I am paranoid as maining medic. I turn around every 3 seconds to check to see if a new "teammate" appears. if he does not fire at me. I think to myself "HE IS A SPY, MUST ALERT/KILL" then fire the overdose at him. if he isn't a spy I calm down and think "oh he isn't, have some healz bro." this repeats every teammate I see. This leads to a tradeoff in combat where I constantly scan the behind because all patients are potatoes when looking for spys, they kill what is in front of them but do not look what is behind them.

Alright story time. I joined a server playing Foundry. the other team went all gunslinger engies. It took so long to capture the last point since it was a light show with all the gunslinger. Can you imagine destroy 3 minisentrys 1.25 seconds later 3 pop back up? It got worse when they built dispensers :). never ending wave of minisentries. We all went demo to stop them after 7 solid minutes of shelling them an uber managed to break in, stickies all the minis and a scout was shielded with bodies to cap the point. A very exciting match indeed.

R.I.P. Sticky jumper.

And stories? Well I have a bunch, but one of my oldies is this:

I was an engy, fairly new at the game. Map was cp_(I seriously forgot), and I had setup a sentry near the enemy's second point. I then proceeded to die to a demo. After I respawned I took out my wrangler and aimed unconsciously to the right and fired ( for no reason), and I killed two people. The funny thing is, I was at my spawn, and I had no vision of my sentry, yet I still killed two guys randomly.

Hmm scout vs. soldier.... I am well versed in both sides of the battle, but I know a lot of scouts that get mad because of hurr shoot ground kill scout. I've faced some of the best scouts, and what one of them told me, is that they watch where my rocket launcher is in my viewmodel, that way they know where I'm aiming, and they almost never jump, because jumping is almost suicide against a good soldier. So as a scout vs. a soldier, it's better to be in an open area, and if you do jump don't double jump in an obvious manner, or you will eat a rocket. You can also ride the rocket's splash, if you want to be edgy.

On the soldier side of the bargain, well first is what I mentioned, hit them after they jump. Good scouts will want the height advantage, and also don't waste your rockets on far away scouts. If you switch to the shotgun, the scout will probably bum rush you, because they have the advantage in that situation, unless you are an excellent shot. But one good tactic is to switch to shotgun, wait for them to come at you, then switch back and kill them.

What are your favorite maps of each game mode?

CP: Tie between granary, and badlands

A/D: Gravelpit

PL: Badwater

KoTH: Viaduct

CTF: Turbine

I very recently just got started playing TF2, at my sister's recommendation. 8U I'm not very good yet, but so far I've gotten fairly decent at Scout and Medic, two of my favorite classes 'cause I think they're good-looking. HUHUH. I also like Spy and Soldier, too, but I really hope to be good at ALL the classes one day. Might be useful so I can comfortable change classes as needed. 8U

Ahh that's great! I main medic too and as that class you have the greatest sway on the maps outcome, if you find a nice community you can actually have some teamwork and pull off some amazing plays! Funny you chose two classes that are nemesis. Scouts are great on flanking and killing medics. Those fast little dastards...I very recently just got started playing TF2, at my sister's recommendation. 8U I'm not very good yet, but so far I've gotten fairly decent at Scout and Medic, two of my favorite classes 'cause I think they're good-looking. HUHUH. I also like Spy and Soldier, too, but I really hope to be good at ALL the classes one day. Might be useful so I can comfortable change classes as needed. 8UFaye, on 30 Sept 2013 - 8:32 PM, said:

Enjoy your time at tf2 and all the zany antics it comes with. Also I recommend the that you read up on the comics, there fun too.

Did you change you Field of view to 90 and enable automatic reload? that is a must in tf2!

I mainly play control points...

granary, foundry, process, coldfront, gullywash

and a little bit of playload

upward, gold rush

Attack/defense

whatever, mainly gravelpit

Edited by sifer

Team Service Announcement is possibly the best, for both actual bits of gameplay advice and for just being good generally

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta revive this thread:

I love TF2. I sadly haven't played it recently due to being pretty busy with other things and games, but I played the hell out of this game.

I never played a real comp game, but I did play some lobby and helped a team practice.

I'm a Pyro main that liked the now demised Gas Jockey set(may you R.I.P. passive 110% pyro). As a pyro player, I specialize in all out mobility. That is, Detonator+Powerjack, a sadly underrated loadout.

As for other classes, I played my share of Soldier, Scout and Demo and before going on hiatus, tried my hand at Sniper. If I went back to playing though, I'll probably such with most of these classes(a 1-week break screwed my scout skill, I can't imagine what a 2 month break will do).

As for hats, I have tons of cosmetics and strange. But no Unnusuals, they're a waste of money.

As a main medic I felt like this when I read the update

vkkkHeL.jpg

BEST UPDATE EVER!

you can see your patient's current clip status

AND

the crusader crossbow auto reloads (think weapon switch and Pyro's flare gun)

-

Look how ecstatic the tf2 Medic forum is!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3195630

Edited by sifer